Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,836 members, 7,820,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding (28383 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries His Secondary School Mate, 15 Years Later (Photos) / Ghanaian Man Kneels Down To Beg His Secondary School Girlfriend (VIDEO) / Pastor Tony Akinyemi's Son Is Best Graduating Student In US University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by GlorifiedTunde(m): 2:54pm On Aug 07, 2021
Please look for Tech hubs like Andela and Cchub for him
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by osato45: 2:56pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:
Good morning Nairalanders, my is son is 12years old and in JSS 3 and has been adjudged to have high grasping ability by teachers and those he's interacted with but we have made several efforts to make him have interest in his academics ; he does not have any interest. We started giving lesson teachers when he turned 3 years but he particularly does not do well in math whereas he does wonders with his laptop.

A corps member who was teaching him math casually introduced Coding to him, copied some introductory steps to his laptop and left town. Since then he's been playing with the ebooks the corps member left for him and that informed my decision to employ the services of a computer engineer who was wowed by my son's level of advancement in coding ; he's built a couple of websites though rudimentary in my consideration.

It's a fact that almost all courses in universities require math as a prerequisite in getting admission; I kindly need your advice on best approach(es) in solving this challenge.

Thanks so much great people.
he can do school and coding side by side, as the computer engineer, get him a maths teacher to argument his weakness in maths.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Came4amod: 3:25pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:
Good morning Nairalanders, my is son is 12years old and in JSS 3 and has been adjudged to have high grasping ability by teachers and those he's interacted with but we have made several efforts to make him have interest in his academics ; he does not have any interest. We started giving lesson teachers when he turned 3 years but he particularly does not do well in math whereas he does wonders with his laptop.

A corps member who was teaching him math casually introduced Coding to him, copied some introductory steps to his laptop and left town. Since then he's been playing with the ebooks the corps member left for him and that informed my decision to employ the services of a computer engineer who was wowed by my son's level of advancement in coding ; he's built a couple of websites though rudimentary in my consideration.

It's a fact that almost all courses in universities require math as a prerequisite in getting admission; I kindly need your advice on best approach(es) in solving this challenge.

How do you know he is good in coding when U can’t code ?? Make sure he gets that certificate and encourage him to take coding certification exams then u know he is good in coding otherwise u r wasting time

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Alusiizizi(m): 3:29pm On Aug 07, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

@bolded, that's what I can't understand in the OP's post too.
It's impossible for a person naturally good at coding or natural tech abilities to be mathematically poor. Something must be wrong somewhere.

But against what you said. At least out of all the irrelevant subjects taught in Nigeria education system, mathematics is still in a way not that bad compared with the standard in other parts of the world. Because mathematics doesn't change or grow old. It's same basics that applies anywhere in the world. That's the good thing about mathematics. It's a reality course, you can even derive formulas yourself.
So, he should be able to flow with it and excel. Any creative, tech talented person would naturally have love or passion for mathematics because it is mentally tasking, logical, pragmatic and applicable in reality. Love for mathematics should be so natural, he would like to do calculations even without any teacher.

The trouble with mathematics education in Nigeria is that rote learning overwhelmingly dominates over analytical and problem solving ability.
Boys like the OP's son are simply not challenged by this style of education and simply go "offline". Emphasis is placed on memorizing and applying equations instead of deriving them or using them to solve problems.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 07, 2021
Ma'am. Your son has chosen his path. Me wey graduate for uni since last 14 years, get masters since about seven years ago, na business I dey do. No work. Meanwhile I am close to computer gurus and wizards like your son, who make six zeros monthly, and are even complaining and still believe they want to also going higher in d computer world for more than six zeros.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by CSTRR: 4:21pm On Aug 07, 2021
siofra:
Interesting...
I used to be that interested in computers, laptops and phones but my parents labeled me a lazy person. Now I'm the one fixing every minor issue in their phones.

Don't treat your child the way my parents treated me, he'll resent you for it.
Why am I snooping?

Because I assumed you were pretty and I was right.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by CSTRR: 4:22pm On Aug 07, 2021
GlorifiedTunde:
Please look for Tech hubs like Andela and Cchub for him
Na so e easy to enter Andela?

Even people that have been coding for long cannot enter yet.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by siofra(f): 5:09pm On Aug 07, 2021
CSTRR:

Why am I snooping?

Because I assumed you were pretty and I was right.

I did not ask you angry
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 07, 2021
Alusiizizi:

The trouble with mathematics education in Nigeria is that rote learning overwhelmingly dominates over analytical and problem solving ability.
Boys like the OP's son are simply not challenged by this style of education and simply go "offline". Emphasis is placed on memorizing and applying equations instead of deriving them or using them to solve problems.

Yea, you're right like I've also stated earlier too. But the good thing about Mathematics is that it is thought-provoking, logic-provocaking. It brings out creativity and forces you to apply your analytical thinking. All these regardless of the teacher or the education system of the country. All what you said is only applicable to the non-calculation subjects where you're forced to memorize or 'cram' things you don't understand as it's been called.
Personally, being someone with similar trait with OP's kid at a tender age, I can relate. Love for mathematics comes naturally, you don't even remember the teachers or method. You just love calculation and numbers the same way children love cartoon without any teacher forcing them or misleading them.
Lest I forgot, how did OP's kid know coding? Did any teacher teach him? No, he learnt it on his own. Same thing applies with mathematics. Such a person would naturally love calculations, logically tasking questions and numbers.
The same way kids with potential for Art and commercial show traits in reading novels, essays etc. It's always natural.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Viserion: 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

sir the best you can do for him, is to enroll him in an IT or tech institution to further learn programming
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Ashiru97(m): 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2021
N
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by CSTRR: 6:17pm On Aug 07, 2021
siofra:

I did not ask you angry
You can't take a compliment.

Okay, a bimbo as usual.
Why am I not surprised?
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nuelito: 6:18pm On Aug 07, 2021
Interesting
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by iLegendd(m): 6:19pm On Aug 07, 2021
There is no challenge. He is going to be great. Mark my word.

1 Like

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Melvis100(m): 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2021
Pls, make him get both.. It's very important..
But don't let his secondary education go beyond 2pm.. Leave out anything concerning extra or holiday lessons oo...
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Shellsploit: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2021
amazing
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by AntiWailer: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2021
He must be interested.

I am a programmer for over a decade. Take it from me , he needs to concentrate on his secondary education too.

All that copy and paste and edit is not all he will need in life.

Coding is wayyyy more than that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Techguy96(m): 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2021
yanabasee1:
OP is lying.....

He's lying... and this story doesn't add up...
How
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by federal9: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2021
He needs to go through his secondary education so as not to get abused by his fellow mate that he didn't finish school. You have to make him prudent.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by na2016: 6:22pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

Develop him around what he loves. Most gurus didn't have a university education and some dropped out of University. When he grows older, if he so wishes, he will get one. I bet you, this guy may be a star in the making.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Justdare: 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2021
michael77777:

hehehe...I laugh in kafanchan!

12 yrs KO!

jss3 NI!

creating websites my foot!

coding kpoo GI oku there!

My daughter is 12 and in JSS 3
she designs good websites, though I won't call that coding.
And the egbon is 14 just promoted to SSS 3.

So what's your grouse?

1 Like

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Skillsnigeria: 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2021
Hmmm
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by mainman7(m): 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2021
shocked

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by siofra(f): 6:24pm On Aug 07, 2021
CSTRR:

You can't take a compliment.

Okay, a bimbo as usual.
Why am I not surprised?

Mtcheww angry
Yes thank you
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Swealy: 6:24pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:
I do not see a problem in this
Just find him an IT mentor that will direct him on how to succeed in the IT industry without a BSC
Gradually enroll him for relevant introductory IT coding training then since he doesn't have a BSC he will need relevant certifications CISCO etc
Just find him a mentor first

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by do4luv14(m): 6:27pm On Aug 07, 2021
Bhadmus7:
The world is evolving right now..don't make the mistake of allowing him waste his precious years in the university hustling for certificate..
Instead, enrol him into some Tech Hub and I.T hub, let him develop his coding skills..
He will be forever grateful to u

OP follow this Advice, but be quick with it
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by sylve11: 6:27pm On Aug 07, 2021
PaNnamdi:
Your son want to become a yahoo boy and sacm people that's what bullhari led had turned Nigerian youths to become

No jobs no schools no empowerment but

Scammers

PaNnamdi is angry angry

The son told you so?

Una with una yeye assumptions sef.

@ op, observe him for a while and if you like what you're seeing, support him. cool
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by stevedeey(m): 6:28pm On Aug 07, 2021
Please encourage him to finish his secondary school at least. Don't kill his penchant for coding, I repeat don't kill the skill in him. You can contact me and link me with him if he needs further mentorship.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by cocoduck: 6:28pm On Aug 07, 2021
he has found his passion. What he needs now is your unalloyed support for him. That is how great people are made. Just encourage him to pass SSCE, that is all.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by chloride6: 6:29pm On Aug 07, 2021
Kindly familiarise yourself with the donning-kruger effect..

I pray you have the discipline to lead your boy on the right path.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by OMONGBALI: 6:31pm On Aug 07, 2021
EasternActivist:
Wow build on it... Don't kill it..

He might me another emegwali

Emegwali is a liar.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination / Police Uncover Body Of Paul Erie, AAU Abducted Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.