Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding (28384 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries His Secondary School Mate, 15 Years Later (Photos) / Ghanaian Man Kneels Down To Beg His Secondary School Girlfriend (VIDEO) / Pastor Tony Akinyemi's Son Is Best Graduating Student In US University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by siofra(f): 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2021
CSTRR:

Let me leave you a video from chimamanada Ngozi adichie titied " beauty does not solve problems"

Enjoy, and most importantly, learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UITxHbMdfs

Thank you for the video, I just finished watching it and pretty privilege still exists and I still thank God I'm fine cheesy
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Ndipe(m): 7:35pm On Aug 07, 2021
That's a great idea, sending him to a Tech hub and I.T hub, but I will still encourage his parents to enroll him college where he can acquire a degree in Computer science as well. In the process, he will kill two birds with one stone.

Bhadmus7:
The world is evolving right now..don't make the mistake of allowing him waste his precious years in the university hustling for certificate..
Instead, enrol him into some Tech Hub and I.T hub, let him develop his coding skills..
He will be forever grateful to u
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 7:37pm On Aug 07, 2021
Bhadmus7:
The world is evolving right now..don't make the mistake of allowing him waste his precious years in the university hustling for certificate..
Instead, enrol him into some Tech Hub and I.T hub, let him develop his coding skills..

Thanks so much
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Govocrete: 7:39pm On Aug 07, 2021
He have chosen a great path, please encourage him.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2021
The true history of the yoruba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llporKrPsbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hU-ibkPfg

Please kindly help me locate one of these 5 things:

1) ife empire
2) bight of ife
3) bight of yoruba
4) ife battle against britain
5) ife republic
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by OChimex: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:
Good morning Nairalanders, my is son is 12years old and in JSS 3 and has been adjudged to have high grasping ability by teachers and those he's interacted with but we have made several efforts to make him have interest in his academics ; he does not have any interest. We started giving lesson teachers when he turned 3 years but he particularly does not do well in math whereas he does wonders with his laptop.

A corps member who was teaching him math casually introduced Coding to him, copied some introductory steps to his laptop and left town. Since then he's been playing with the ebooks the corps member left for him and that informed my decision to employ the services of a computer engineer who was wowed by my son's level of advancement in coding ; he's built a couple of websites though rudimentary in my consideration.

It's a fact that almost all courses in universities require math as a prerequisite in getting admission; I kindly need your advice on best approach(es) in solving this challenge.

Thanks so much great people.

I will be honest with you, you are the real village people to your son.

U never hear say, Billgate, Zuckerberge, lots of billionnaires na drop out?

Your son has found a hand work, don't derail that young man. Put him in a school to further learn coding at advanced level.

Certificate no dey pay for nigeria, now... if you like ask the street.

Do not waste that guy time with nigeria useless school system. Na only theory and English speaking them dey teach for naija school.

Computer/technology/ Internet na the new oil money now, if you doubt Google world billionaires, most of them na tech gurus...
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Osanoghodua1: 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2021
Enroll him in a tech school, and still make him go to school. He can still learn mathematics. I resit maths in my JS3, was advised never to go to science class by my school counselor, it was against the run of play. I was granted what is known as a "passion pass" I narrowly pass Maths always D. in SSS1 third term holiday, I taught myself maths and further Maths, then went from bottom to school overall best in SS11 second term. If he can code, he can grasp Maths. I even thought myself Cryptocurrency.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Habib101: 7:44pm On Aug 07, 2021
Your son has a talent your job now is to bring out that talent by investing what he loves doing, am not part of does that really support University studies, that is what this country focuses on they sees you as a low level individual, and with the kind of education there is in the university you go studying a course program they give you 8 courses unlike abroad where you study only 3-4 courses in computer science I have a friend who finishes his degree program in China within 3 years we can go on and on and with the kind of difficulty it comes with it in the university level in this country, in the developing countries they support and encourages entrepreneurship and innovations that's that's what makes them what they are today so my advice is you are lucky you have a child that so much passion in technology at a very young age so attach him with a mentor in the area his Good at supply him with videos and works of expert in his own line of work online and physically with a mentor that can guide him.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Tolzy11(m): 7:45pm On Aug 07, 2021
siofra:

Wahala!! Somebody cannot be fine and arrongant in peace again
Do you see yourself as someone that's arrogant ?
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by GreatMage: 7:50pm On Aug 07, 2021
I really need to start a Tech Hub for training young talents in coding and logic thinking...

But the issue is that I'm lazy and don't have enough funds...
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by siofra(f): 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2021
Tolzy11:

Do you see yourself as someone that's arrogant ?

Yes, very very. What happened?
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2021
mikezuruki:

Enrol him in APTECH. But ensure he has his secondary school certificate. He'll in time come to understand the need for a university degree as he grows.

Thanks so much for your kind words.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2021
yanabasee1:
OP is lying.....

He's lying... and this story doesn't add up...
To gain what? Thanks for your time
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by drololaaof: 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2021
Take him to guardian and counseling unit, he need to be encouraged but at the same time let him understand that furthering his education will advance him further and make good progress in IT
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by phemmyfour: 7:57pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:
Good morning Nairalanders, my is son is 12years old and in JSS 3 and has been adjudged to have high grasping ability by teachers and those he's interacted with but we have made several efforts to make him have interest in his academics ; he does not have any interest. We started giving lesson teachers when he turned 3 years but he particularly does not do well in math whereas he does wonders with his laptop.

A corps member who was teaching him math casually introduced Coding to him, copied some introductory steps to his laptop and left town. Since then he's been playing with the ebooks the corps member left for him and that informed my decision to employ the services of a computer engineer who was wowed by my son's level of advancement in coding ; he's built a couple of websites though rudimentary in my consideration.

It's a fact that almost all courses in universities require math as a prerequisite in getting admission; I kindly need your advice on best approach(es) in solving this challenge.

Even in coding, you need mathematics
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 7:58pm On Aug 07, 2021
Kennyking1234:
amazing!! Son you got, don't be like the typical "Nigerian dream killing parent"

You can challenge your son to build a math related project. E.g calculator, graph plotting etc. That would make him see the relationship between coding and math.

By the way what language is your son learning?

I will download this and save it on his laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SpuBqvNjHI
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by hustla(m): 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

Promise him some benefits for sustained interest in school. Things that will appeal to someone who likes coding

A better laptop, more training videos, paid aptech coding classes etc

You can also explain that while he's in school, he'll also learn things that will help him with coding
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2021
OChimex:

I will be honest with you, you are the real village people to your son.

U never hear say, Billgate, Zuckerberge, lots of billionnaires na drop out?

Your son has found a hand work, don't derail that young man. Put him in a school to further learn coding at advanced level.

Certificate no dey pay for nigeria, now... if you like ask the street.

Do not waste that guy time with nigeria useless school system. Na only theory and English speaking them dey teach for naija school.

Computer/technology/ Internet na the new oil money now, if you doubt Google world billionaires, most of them na tech gurus...

Okay sir. Thanks for the advice
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by xjiggy: 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

Enrol him for NIIT programs. Let him develop the programming skills elsewhere after all, our universities doesn't teach programming as precisely as expected

1 Like

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Expresswriter: 8:03pm On Aug 07, 2021
Don't discourage him. The world is changing.

Tech rules the world today. So you're privileged and blessed that your son has found his path at a very early age.

Support him but encourage him LOVINGLY to do put interest in his academics and maths as well to FULFILL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS OF EDUCATION and that you will support his education to any level.

Don't judge or condemn him.
Listen to him.

Advice him where necessary. Ask for opinion from trusted and EXPERIENCED people too.

God bless you.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by LofP(m): 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2021
Encourage him to finish secondary school.

He is a genius, and he needs firm encouragement and guidance. Introduce him to some more complex programming languages so that he can improve.

The world is changing and your son could become a freelancer creating software and apps before he becomes 18.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Tolzy11(m): 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2021
siofra:

Why is that ?
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by ppogba: 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2021
I am glad the OP is still reading comments as at 8 pm. Good to know.

Please kindly disregard any advice that your child should dump education without finishing his secondary education.

There was a time in Nigeria when people start ICAN with their o' level and become chartered accountant with just the school cert. I can confirm to you that it got to a stage they started running to UNIs to start from 200 level when the tide changed.

I cannot imagine the best coding professional without a school cert.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Sterope(f): 8:39pm On Aug 07, 2021
There are going to be levels to programming. Mathematics is crucial to differentiate between an expert and a basic coder.

Bhadmus7:
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Sterope(f): 8:44pm On Aug 07, 2021
You need to understand why his mathematics is poor and fix it.

An excellent grasp of mathematics with an interest in programming will take him further than just programming skills.

treatise:

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Collinsanele: 8:51pm On Aug 07, 2021
Lamasta:
Coding and Maths go together enlighten your son the more...

They are not really closely tied
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by wolebest: 8:52pm On Aug 07, 2021
Lucky you......
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Collinsanele: 8:54pm On Aug 07, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

@bolded, that's what I can't understand in the OP's post too.
It's impossible for a person naturally good at coding or natural tech abilities to be mathematically poor. Something must be wrong somewhere.

But against what you said. At least out of all the irrelevant subjects taught in Nigeria education system, mathematics is still in a way not that bad compared with the standard in other parts of the world. Because mathematics doesn't change or grow old. It's same basics that applies anywhere in the world. That's the good thing about mathematics. It's a reality course, you can even derive formulas yourself.
So, he should be able to flow with it and excel. Any creative, tech talented person would naturally have love or passion for mathematics because it is mentally tasking, logical, pragmatic and applicable in reality. Love for mathematics should be so natural, he would like to do calculations even without any teacher.

Coding and mathematics are two mutually exclusive fields. One can be a great coder with only average maths knowledge.

1 Like

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Tolzy11(m): 8:59pm On Aug 07, 2021
siofra:

What are you so arrogant about since you've said you are arrogant ?
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 9:12pm On Aug 07, 2021
Sterope:
You need to understand why his mathematics is poor and fix it.

An excellent grasp of mathematics with an interest in programming will take him further than just programming skills.

Thanks so much.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 9:14pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

I truly appreciate all your contributions. I assure I am going to adopt some of the submissions that will aid him.
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by BJanta: 9:23pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

Stop those 'several efforts to make him to be interested in his academics' if you don't want to destroy his life. And start to engage yourself in several new efforts to help him succeed in what he has chosen to his own interest, otherwise you would at the best delay him, and at worst, derail him. We parents have a penchant to choose careers for our children for our own selfish ends - either to feed our ego or to insure against our lives in old age, without considering the ability and the aspirations and dreams of our children as the most important, relevant and necessary factors. I influenced, not forcing, my son to go for science, being a science man. Why, because I wanted to become an aeronautic engineer, my dream career which I never attained to. I saw him making the fame and money I had desired from this career for the two of us, not just for him. Since his JS1, everytime I had the opportunity, I would sit down and talk glowingly about aeronautic engineering as a career. Eventually he did science and excelled. But afterwards he boldly and openly and mercilessly told me me that he would never do any engineering course, that he preferred a career that would give an office job. That all along he had been trying to please me because of my love for him. So he got a bachelor of science degree in accounting and served. Even then and again, he refused to work with his accounting degree saying that he digressed into accounting by my influence. That the only career that would give him enduring joy is the one that will give him the constant need to talk or write. Of course, I had seen this gift in since around 6 years old. He was always writing mental novels, especially about police brutally. This had always given me secret concerns and conviction that this boy would not grow up to be a science man I wanted. Hence, my usual and constant sermon about science and aeronautic engineering. The same guy is preparing to go to law school now. But see how much of it time I had wasted. Then, remember the Nigerian celebrated International novelist, and take a cue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination / Police Uncover Body Of Paul Erie, AAU Abducted Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.