Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property (36403 Views)

How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / Ghana: Family Reunites With 20-Year-Old Son Who Was Missing At Age 2 / My Uncles Fixed My Late Father's Burial Without Informing Me, His First Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Bunnatex(m): 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
Did the father wed the mother according to English law.
Secondly did the father have a will? I guess no.
In the case, in absence of any will (i.e the man died intestate) the whole properties belongs to the wife according to English law of succession.
If the mum is dead, then to the first son then sisters, etc.
Customary law of succession only come in this case if the man only did only traditional wedding.

The boy should let his mother be unless she's his step mum.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by marsup: 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
aribisala0:
Why can't she sell the house? Do you have any authority for that?
How would it be different if we were talking about cash and not a house?
in the absence of will, if she sells the house, the money must be split amongst all the kids.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by victorazy(m): 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

A friend of mine needs urgent advice before taking a bold step.

He relocated to south Africa 6 years ago, and since he traveled he has been sending home some amount of money to help his father complete his house.

So last year, unfortunately his father died and has since been buried.

He just arrived from south Africa since then. Now he wants to renovate his fathers house to 3 bedroom flat because he's planning to marry next year, He's not returning to south Africa.

But, his mom declined and said she won't allow him take over the house from her, though he promised to rent an apartment for her but declined.

Now this has caused a lot of problem between the mother and son, because the son claims he built d house to that stage but the mother is claiming she is his mother and the wife to the late owner(father).

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I have advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

I told him about nairaland, that there are experienced people who will give him d best advise and he's given me a go ahead.

I will be sending these page link to him, so he can hear from d public and then know what to decide.

He needs your sincere advise.

Thanks

Please help us help a brother

Sounds funny and tale to me grin

Which mother would drag property with her son?
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by omoadeleye(m): 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

He relocated to south Africa 6 years ago, and since he traveled he has been sending home some amount of money to help his father complete his house.

He just arrived from south Africa since then. Now he wants to renovate his fathers house to 3 bedroom flat because he's planning to marry next year, He's not returning to south Africa.

But, his mom declined and said she won't allow him take over the house from her, though he promised to rent an apartment for her but declined.

Now this has caused a lot of problem between the mother and son, because the son claims he built d house to that stage but the mother is claiming she is his mother and the wife to the late owner(father).

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I have advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

I told him about nairaland, that there are experienced people who will give him d best advise and he's given me a go ahead.

I will be sending these page link to him, so he can hear from d public and then know what to decide.

Thanks

Imagine the arrant nonsense, mother and son fighting on top property... I pray that they don't end up hurting eachother.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
Well well well

What do we have here

I weep for this kid called a man

No matter what, you are meant to complete the house,ur mon stays there with your sisters,take care of them and rent a new place or build another, you can raise the house to storey building and stay separate or rent another

Oga as an immature person wey u be
My advice na family first, irrespective of whatever they did to you....

If u be igbo, den you be efulefu..nwa eji obara kaikai nwere mu...

6 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by TheGift: 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
Was He building the House for Himself or His Father? What was the discussion between Himself and His Father? If His Father had not died, will He ask the Father to move out into a rented apartment.

This kind of families that value material things over maternal and paternal relationships sef, I no understand.
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by shopnimini: 7:34pm On Aug 09, 2021
mariahAngel:
Mumu wey suppose build house for him mama, dey follow him mama drag house! Ode!

Na wetin dem teach am for South Africa? Those ones no kuku send their parents!

Awon omokomo osi!

E shock me I swear.

Maybe the mama no sure

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Shikena(m): 7:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
That is a family house in Yorubaland. Everyone has equal stake, male or female, regardless of how the house was built.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Olayetan(m): 7:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
Such a very immature man, imagine dragging house with your biological mother, does he have any shame left in him.

This is just so stupid to read.

4 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Hathor5(f): 7:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
Wait!

He wants to evict his mother because he and the father decided so?

The beauty of patriarchy. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 7:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
marsup:
in the absence of will, if she sells the house, the money must be split amongst all the kids.
By which authority or tradition ? Or is it by your declaration

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Freestainworld(m): 7:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I justhave advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

He needs your sincere advise. Instead of quarreling with his mother which I wouldn't advice, if the land is big enough, he can construct his own flat where he can stay with his future wife, while also accommodating his mother stays in her own house, it's a simple thing, if not just ask him to rent a place outside and stay with his wife.

Thanks

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by WaffenSS(m): 7:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

Best advice on nairaland? Are you joking?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by marsup: 7:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
aribisala0:
By which authority or tradition ? Or is it by your declaration
Ask Jamb
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Uselessmanna: 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
He's a shameless and useless son. May we never have such a son

8 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by ekevwe(m): 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
mariahAngel:

Awon omokomo osi!
what about If the mother is married to another man?

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by eeewise(m): 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
1000 likes and 1000 share for you
This your comment deserves an award!

mariahAngel:

Awon omokomo osi!

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by nextstep(m): 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
Well, in whose name is the home? If in his father's name, then it belongs to the deceased's spouse, the mother. This is regardless of where the money came from.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by eeewise(m): 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
Amen and Amen

Uselessmanna:
He's a shameless and useless son. May we never have such a son
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by afamaustin(m): 7:40pm On Aug 09, 2021
As a first son he has the right to rent an apartment and renovet the house, after renovation his mother will come back and take one room his sister's take one room and him and the wife takes one room.
The all make use of the sitting room he can't eject the mother nor the sisters, then when the sisters marry the sister's room will be serving as vistors room but he can be making using of the room cos the sisters wunt be coming always.
Untill his mother is nor more he can take possession of his mother's room.he should call his mother and explain to her his plans that after renovation she will come back because she HV full right to the house.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Freddd009: 7:40pm On Aug 09, 2021
inforesource:
He is a stupid son. If the father was fighting with his own mum on his father's house, will the son have any claim to it? If he want to get married and thinks he is man enough to do so, he should go and rent a house and stay and leave his mother alone.

Exactly, he is a very stupid son. Why be an enemy to his own mother... She has every right over the house na because she is still alive. Even if she dies, d house belongs to him and his sisters, meaning d sisters can visit the house anytime or when suddenly out of marriage which we do not pray for. The best he can do now, is to be a man and go buy his own land n build his own personal land cos that land belongs to him n his sisters after d m dies

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Sterope(f): 7:41pm On Aug 09, 2021
His mum is still alive and it is uncommon for children to contribute to the family home when they can. This must a SA culture he picked up.

That guy isn't one of us

Slimslimqq:
oh! My bad. I didnt seem to read it well. He's a Yoruba boy. Ibadan

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Skillsnigeria: 7:42pm On Aug 09, 2021
It will not be easy to evict his mother from the house, he should wait till his mother kpeme (died) before he can claim and renovate the house. Nigeria woman always carry house matter for head like say owning a house will solve all their problems in this life
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Coldie(m): 7:42pm On Aug 09, 2021
The first son is very irresponsible. Instead of you to go and find your own money with your wife you are dragging what your mother and father built

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Sterope(f): 7:43pm On Aug 09, 2021
He cannot take over the house under any circumstance. The mum owns the house as long as she is alive. He cannot dictate who owns which and what.

afamaustin:
As a first son he has the right to rent an apartment and renovet the house, after renovation his mother will come back and take one room his sister's take one room and him and the wife takes one room.
The all make use of the sitting room he can't eject the mother nor the sisters, then when the sisters marry the sister's room will be serving as vistors room but he can be making using of the room cos the sisters wunt be coming always.
Untill his mother is nor more he can take possession of his mother's room.he should call his mother and explain to her his plans that after renovation she will come back because she HV full right to the house.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
lol. I like this comment a lot, I'm sure he's seeing this

Someone is Mocking your Friend that he is dragging house with his mum and you are liking the comment and this your friend is reading the comments.

Continue deceiving the gullible ones with cock and bull stories!

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 09, 2021
that guy should go back to southafrica and continue his hustling there instead of coming to drag property with his late fathers wife and younger ones. he is a fool otherwise he should knw he is supposd to play d role of father to his family. footin the bills for their upkeep and payin their fees until they complete their education, While protecting and comforting them. thats what real men do. asuming his father was stil alive nkor.? Wouldnt he had maried if he wanted to marry.

5 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Ayion: 7:44pm On Aug 09, 2021
He is a stupid son that has no respect for his parents

Your friend doesn’t know that his first goal in life is to bring honor to his father and mother.
As for me, if I have a house of my own and any of my parents is living in a rented apartments, I’ll consider it a failure as a son.

3 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by SarakiBukola: 7:45pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
oh! My bad. I didnt seem to read it well. He's a Yoruba boy. Ibadan

You're a liar.

We all know he's Igbo.. na them get land squabbles the most.

South Africa angle makes it even more evident.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 7:45pm On Aug 09, 2021
marsup:
Ask Jamb
Are you not Jammed again?
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by eeewise(m): 7:46pm On Aug 09, 2021
Reading this makes me want to vomit �����

May we never have such an irresponsible son

May we have sons that defend their family (mother and siblings) and respect the wishes of their late dad

May this not be our portion and lot in Jesus name
Amen

3 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by CSTRR: 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2021
This is stupidity.

The house belongs to his mother through her husband.
And which means the house will belong to his siblings all the days of their lives.

He is fortunate that they are all females.
The only thing he can do is pray for them to get married so they can go to their husbands houses.

That is the only condition that can get them to leave.
If not, he does not own that house and never will.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

A Mother Referred Her 16 Years Old Daughter To The Family Planning Clinic / Why Husbands Have Become Scarce - Blueprint / Check Out This Amazing Family SWAG [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.