Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,247 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina (19200 Views)

What Femi Adesina Told Me When I Visited Villa – Kukah / See What Femi Adesina Wrote About COS, Gambari 12 Years Ago! / Femi Adesina: My Daughter Almost Cried When She Read About Me On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:46am On Aug 13, 2021
Yet, those who institutionalized corruption in this country,
Oga Femi, those you're referring to will also show you big infrastructural projects they undertook and can argue they did better than your masters could ever do in the area of infrastructure, building a refinery to booth!!
The point here is building infrastructure is not an answer to corruption. If not, it's an enabler of it.
I personally think the noise being made about infrastructure is just like the noise made about cassava bread by one admin like that. It's all sound and fury.
The results on ground don't show any superb work in that regard!!
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by udele1: 11:46am On Aug 13, 2021
light193:
Pls if there is no light to power your sms how are u going to growth, if there is no road how are going to moved your goods to market, and if you can't sell your goods how are you going to growth.if airport is not working how people will moved around.if rail is not work how are you going to meet up with important meating at abuja or lagos.infactructure first,China build there infacturcture first,India are building Brazil,Dubai all this countriess are building there infacturcture.AKwa ibom is good example of how infacturcture can build your economy....

You will have goods first before moving. If you have no goods, how do you pay back loans?

Agriculture did better when there was security. Now there is more infrastructure and the production is lowered.

Electricity is also part of the SME. Startups can be funded to generate electricity and supply their locality.

See how much has been borrowed and spent on electricity. Do we have steady power?
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by greatiyk4u(m): 11:46am On Aug 13, 2021
udele1:

Lol. How much of the roads did mark Zuckerberg use to become great? How much of the roads did bill gates use to develop Microsoft in his garage? If you build roads from lagos to sambisa forest, will that increase the number of cars on them?

Don't people still need money to buy cars to drive on the roads?

America has roads, yet the billionaires in America are not road contractors, but people that developed thier talents and ability.

Show me top 10 billionaires in America and lets see how many are road contractors.

America developed its people first before infrastructure.

Your understanding is shallow, educating you on the importance of infrastructure in economic stability wont be easy task

This has been my area of research over the years,

The discouraging factor to many investors in Nigeria and Africa is lack of infrastructure not market place or entrepreneurship mindset.

Critically reason this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by udele1: 11:50am On Aug 13, 2021
greatiyk4u:

Your understanding is shallow, educating you on the importance of infrastructure in economic stability wont be easy task

This has been my area of research over the years,

The discouraging factor to many investors in Nigeria and Africa is lack of infrastructure not market place or entrepreneurship mindset.

Critically reason this

You with high understanding. Those countries we go to borrow from to build infrastructure, where did they get the money to build theirs?

Isnt it from tax generated from company's that grew ?
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by rottennaija(m): 11:53am On Aug 13, 2021
mrvitalis:

Which issue did you raise ? ...u want me to give u detailed analysis on a project this massive on nairaland ?

I'm here showing that $1.5 billion wasted on this railway system could have been used better to create more jobs ,increase more GDP , generate more revenue ,reduce influence on dollar demand etc ..it's just simple logic

Status quo remains till the factories are completed....what happened between Lagos and Ibadan before the rail way came to light ?

We have sand and limestone which are the key things needed to produce glass

Which cheaper labour ...we should be able to produce far less

I don't blame you. It is easy to yab with the keyboard.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by greatiyk4u(m): 11:53am On Aug 13, 2021
udele1:

You with high understanding. Those countries we go to borrow from to build infrastructure, where did they get the money to build theirs?

Isnt it from tax generated from company's that grew ?

They borrowed
Every reason business man borrow to build infrastructure before take off of the commercial activities

Nigeria is a poor country because of lack of infrastructure that can drive and support SME to grow.

Thanks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by EnkayDezign: 11:56am On Aug 13, 2021
Zetra7:

All great infrastructures in China today was not from loans....

When you're speaking dumb please don't bring it to the public space. Japan has been providing loans to China since 1979 (Known as ODA) until 2007. See links below for details.

https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/24412

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13439000600697704?journalCode=capr20

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Brainbox2020(m): 11:59am On Aug 13, 2021
This adesina ehn, I hope he follows buhari to daura after his tenure.

Spits*
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by aribisala0(m): 12:02pm On Aug 13, 2021
greatiyk4u:

They borrowed
Every reason business man borrow to build infrastructure before take off of the commercial activities

Nigeria is a poor country because of lack of infrastructure that can drive and support SME to grow.

Thanks

Nigeria is not poor because of lack of infrastructure
We are poor because of lack of Human capital

If somebody came to "dash" us infrastructure with our current stock of ignorant and superstitious people we would still be poor
We have people who pray when they should work who believe in 2021 that human rituals can produce wealth or that Angels make bank deposits
Germany and Japan suffered devastating destruction during the WW II and rose to become leading economies BECAUSE of Human Capital

They have QUALITY PEOPLE

Even the infrastructure we are borrowing for . We are paying FOREIGNERS to build because they have developed THEIR PEOPLE
We cannot build a simple bridge without transferring millions of dollars to other countries and this we do without
any KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER clauses in the contracts

1 Like

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by greatiyk4u(m): 12:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
aribisala0:

If somebody came to "dash" us infrastructure with our current stock of ignorant and superstitious people we would still be poor
We have people who pray when they should work who believe in 2021 that human rituals can produce wealth or that Angels make bank deposits
Germany and Japan suffered devastating destruction during the WW II and rose to become leading economies BECAUSE of Human Capital

They have QUALITY PEOPLE

Even the infrastructure we are borrowing for . We are paying FOREIGNERS to build because they have developed THEIR PEOPLE
We cannot build a simple bridge without transferring millions of dollars to other countries and this we do without

Many Nigerians are doing great in foreign land because they have the infrastructure that creates enabling environment for utilization of human capital assets.

Name one developed nation without critical infrastructure

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by neyoohhh: 12:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
mrvitalis:
The truth is Nigeria is a complex mix
..yorubas won't get obi because they are naturally social capitalist like the Norway , Denmark and their brothers

Obi is talking from a capitalist point of view like Germans , Japanese

Infrastructure are good , but are only feel good projects

Lagos ibadan rail can't break even in 100 years ..I'm not saying make profit ...yet u spent $1.5b ok it ...that's 750 billion ...what does that add to our GDP every year nothing

Imagine u take same 750 billion ...call the 10 biggest glass importers ...what would it take to move to manufacturing here ....how much do u want ....work with banks the form partnership establishing 3 glass factory ...that would cost not more than $600m ...u give them $400 million ask them to fund the other $200 million as loan without interest and payment break of 5 years from when they start operations ... payment in the next 10 years

Each factory would employ over 3000 people direct that's 9000 direct over 15000 I direct job

Nigeria glass import is around $1.5 billion a year ...with another $2 billion in west Africa and central African market ,

This would grow our GDP by 3.5 billion dollars minimum , generate a tax of over 50 million dollars per year

Now u still have $1.1 billion

U can do the same for ceramics plates and bathroom equipments ...that's would be less 200 million dollars as loan to the importers can set up 5 factories

U are left with $800 million

Garment factories in aba can cloth Nigeria with $400 million invest ...link the leather producers in kano the shoe markers in aba

Make it easy to transport with police harassment

We can commercialize the rice species we have developed ...$100 million to rice importers can do the magic

$1.5 billion if invested well can generate 5 to 10 billion GDP growth per year

Good in theory, but I've noticed the west thrives because of great infrastructure. It makes logistics easy and cheap, easier to scale.

Everything without great infrastructure is a hustle.

The question is how do they get a lovely balance between your postulated theory and infrastructure giving that there are limited resources/revenues and huge borrowing costs.

Maybe the government could focus on infrastructure and the private sector should be giving more access to finance those types of industries.

2 Likes

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by mrvitalis(m): 12:26pm On Aug 13, 2021
neyoohhh:

Good in theory, but I've noticed the west thrives because of great infrastructure. It makes logistics easy and cheap, easier to scale.

Everything without great infrastructure is a hustle.

The question is how do they get a lovely balance between your postulated theory and infrastructure giving that there are limited resources/revenues and huge borrowing costs.

Maybe the government could focus on infrastructure and the private sector should be giving more access to finance those types of industries.

$1.5b rail project is not basic infrastructure that's feel good project

We already had a locomotive train for goods

Humans can use bus for now
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by jjohndoe83: 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2021
Wish I could slap him a thousand times!
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by neyoohhh: 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2021
mrvitalis:

$1.5b rail project is not basic infrastructure that's feel good project

We already had a locomotive train for goods

Humans can use bus for now

You get to your destination faster on a plane than in a car..

2 cents, brilliant analysis from you as the only way out is industries but there's a caveat!
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Celense(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2021
Yeah I agree with him on this. Infrastructure is the foundation of economic growth and development anywhere in the world.

3 Likes

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by lexy2014: 12:41pm On Aug 13, 2021
CoolAmbience:

Oga, shut up!

There has been no single President better than Buhari since independence. I have been to all the projects Adesina mentioned and more. They are fantastic and massive.

Every good Nigerian knows this.

How did u arrive ur conclusion that "There has been no single President better than Buhari since independence"?
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by lexy2014: 12:43pm On Aug 13, 2021
greatiyk4u:

Many Nigerians are doing great in foreign land because they have the infrastructure that creates enabling environment for utilization of human capital assets.

How did d developed countries with "critical infrastructure" come about their "critical infrastructure"?
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by lexy2014: 12:44pm On Aug 13, 2021
aribisala0:

They have QUALITY PEOPLE

Summary of d matter. Bless u
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by neyoohhh: 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2021
lexy2014:

How did d developed countries with "critical infrastructure" come about their "critical infrastructure"?

Private sector.. read this

https://origins.osu.edu/article/how-public-and-private-enterprise-have-built-american-infrastructure

2 Likes

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:53pm On Aug 13, 2021
CoolAmbience:

Oga, shut up!

There has been no single President better than Buhari since independence. I have been to all the projects Adesina mentioned and more. They are fantastic and massive.

Every good Nigerian knows this.

But Babangida built by infrastructure than Buhari has ever built in his two stints.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by lexy2014: 12:53pm On Aug 13, 2021
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by RiceProducers: 12:57pm On Aug 13, 2021
What I find is that many years of PDP has damaged the reasoning power of Nigerians. Nigerians also imbibed the culture of cowardly lying about things to make a point.

Infrastructure is everything. The US is possibly the most advanced country in the world and they are going back to infrastructure as an enabler. To make it even stark for corruptly nurtured Nigerians, Trump also was going to do the massive infrastructural revamp that Biden just started.
Infrastructure begets large numbers of public sector jobs immediately. When you finish the projects, large nos of service sector jobs follow.
Some joker was talking about IT. Ok IT.
Data centers, broadband internet, 5G are infrastructure. You want to mine bitcoins, you need large nos of KWHs in electricity.

What about internal efficiencies within your economy that make your products cheaper?

What about tourist income you generate when you have uninterrupted power, beautiful roads, light rail and trams connecting beautiful hotels, cinemas and Airbnbs.

One sad thing about PDP and their supporters is that people are beginning to see through their cluelessness and their belief that Nigerians don't deserve the best.
That Nigeria should remain a shit hole where a privileged few living in 3 cities can shit on the country, steal the money and go abroad to their families and for holidays.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by aribisala0(m): 12:57pm On Aug 13, 2021
greatiyk4u:

HOW DID THOSE COUNTRIES GET INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE FIRST PLACE
Did it fall from the sky
They are not doing well BECAUSE THEY HAVE INFRASTRUCTURE

They are doing well because they HAVE A CULTURE THAT PROMOTES AND DEVELOPS KNOWLEDGE and ENCOURAGES MERIT and NOT NEPOTISM

The basis of YOUR ATTRIBUTION to infrastructure is unclear. You might as well say Nigerians are doing well in those countries BECAUSE THEY ARE GODLY

Have they always had infrastructure? I do not see your inferences as coming from deep thought

Those countries got to the point of having infrastructure by adopting a culture that works. A culture of social justice, knowledge and science over superstition and nepotism

1 Like

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by aribisala0(m): 1:02pm On Aug 13, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

But Babangida built by infrastructure than Buhari has ever built in his two stints.
What infrastructure did Babangida build?
He largely built Abuja
and not much else?

30 years later what does Abuja contribute to the economy

We are talking of impactful infrastructure ACROSS the country
Please do not say 3rd Mainland bridge because he completed what was already half built

What else?

1 Like

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by CoolAmbience(m): 1:05pm On Aug 13, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

Talk is cheap.

Let's start listing them here.

Bonny-Bodo Bridge
Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
Lagos-Ibadan Railway
Itakpe-Warri Railway
2nd Niger Bridge.
Calabar-Cameroun Highway

.........let me pause and await for your list to continue.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by aribisala0(m): 1:11pm On Aug 13, 2021
RiceProducers:
What I find is that many years of PDP has damaged the reasoning power of Nigerians. Nigerians also imbibed the culture of cowardly lying about things to make a point.

Infrastructure is everything. The US is possibly the most advanced country in the world and they are going back to infrastructure as an enabler. To make it even stark for corruptly nurtured Nigerians, Trump also was going to do the massive infrastructural revamp that Biden just started.
Infrastructure begets large numbers of public sector jobs immediately. When you finish the projects, large nos of service sector jobs follow.
Some joker was talking about IT. Ok IT.
Data centers, broadband internet, 5G are infrastructure. You want to mine bitcoins, you need large nos of KWHs in electricity.

What about internal efficiencies within your economy that make your products cheaper?

What about tourist income you generate when you have uninterrupted power, beautiful roads, light rail and trams connecting beautiful hotels, cinemas and Airbnbs.

One sad thing about PDP and their supporters is that people are beginning to see through their cluelessness and their belief that Nigerians don't deserve the best.
That Nigeria should remain a shit hole where a privileged few living in 3 cities can shit on the country, steal the money and go abroad to their families and for holidays.

More rubbish

Infrastructure begets jobs if you have skilled people. It is not a given in Nigeria as we have seen over the last 6 years where unemployment is at a record level
Most of the Jobs created by Buhari's splurge have been in China , In the Chinese steel sector and construction industry partly because we lack Human capital and also because of badly negotiated contracts
Without quality Human Capital Infrastructure expenditure exports jobs to those countries with expertise rather than create jobs
There are so many example of Huge Infrastructure or Capital projects in Nigeria where most of the technical jobs have gone to foreigners e.g. Dangote's refinery and the FPSO offshore oil installations.
The one infrastructure project that should be prioritized remains a mirage i.e. power. Everything else is just a mirage

The Abuja -Kaduna rail is a good example. Is it making money or creating jobs? It is just a ME-TOO project
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by EnkayDezign: 1:11pm On Aug 13, 2021
udele1:

Lol. How much of the roads did mark Zuckerberg use to become great? How much of the roads did bill gates use to develop Microsoft in his garage? If you build roads from lagos to sambisa forest, will that increase the number of cars on them?

Don't people still need money to buy cars to drive on the roads?

America has roads, yet the billionaires in America are not road contractors, but people that developed thier talents and ability.

Show me top 10 billionaires in America and lets see how many are road contractors.

America developed its people first before infrastructure.

Even this nairaland, is it a product of infrastructure or human development?

Oga have you ever heard about America's 'New Deal'? The great infrastructure project that was enacted by FD Roosevelt, during the great depression that basically helped rescue Americans from poverty by creating jobs and stimulating their economy. That deal alone set a precedent for great infrastructural development in America.

All the billionaires in america are the biggest beneficiaries of good infrastructure directly /indirectly;

- Their employees use public roads to commute to and from work
- They themselves use public infrastructure (be it roads, rails, and airports)
- They use public infrastructure to transport their goods (Amazon definitely is grateful for good roads)
- Their customers wouldn't enjoy products too if it weren't for good infrastructure.

Infrastructure is possibly the fastest and easiest way to stimulate and grow an economy while also creating jobs. Checkout this video below about the US's crumbling infrastructure and former trump adviser Daniel Slanes' take on it. 3:17 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdvJSGc14xA&list=PLFjBzMNsOhfqOBQg7FGkuVRPe9b2yo66t&index=32&ab_channel=VICENews

2 Likes

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by neyoohhh: 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2021
lexy2014:

Who are d private sector?

Citizens sir doing businesses.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by aribisala0(m): 1:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
EnkayDezign:

Oga have you ever heard about America's 'New Deal'? The great infrastructure project that was enacted by FD Roosevelt, during the great depression that basically helped rescue Americans from poverty by creating jobs and stimulating their economy. That deal alone set a precedent for great infrastructural development in America.

All the billionaires in america are the biggest beneficiaries of good infrastructure directly /indirectly;

- Their employees use public roads to commute to and from work
- They themselves use public infrastructure (be it roads, rails, and airports)
- They use public infrastructure to transport their goods (Amazon definitely is grateful for good roads)
- Their customers wouldn't enjoy products too if it weren't for good infrastructure.

Infrastructure is possibly the fastest and easiest way to stimulate and grow an economy while also creating jobs. Checkout this video below about the US's crumbling infrastructure and former trump adviser Daniel Slanes' take on it. 3:17 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdvJSGc14xA&list=PLFjBzMNsOhfqOBQg7FGkuVRPe9b2yo66t&index=32&ab_channel=VICENews

It was done with American Knowledge/Human Capital and Financial Capital, American steel, American power etc
They did not bankrupt themselves to do it

Today we are using almost all our revenue to pay debt and a lot of that is in foreign currency

America ONLY borrows in dollars which means their economy was STRONG ENOUGH to carry the debt
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by RiceProducers: 1:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
aribisala0:

Did it fall from the sky
They are not doing well BECAUSE THEY HAVE INFRASTRUCTURE

They are doing well because they HAVE A CULTURE THAT PROMOTES AND DEVELOPS KNOWLEDGE and ENCOURAGES MERIT and NOT NEPOTISM

The basis of YOUR ATTRIBUTION to infrastructure is unclear. You might as well say Nigerians are doing well in those countries BECAUSE THEY ARE GODLY

Have they always had infrastructure? I do not see your inferences as coming from deep thought

Those countries got to the point of having infrastructure by adopting a culture that works. A culture of social justice, knowledge and science over superstition and nepotism

Never has so much bullshit been dished in so many words. I am dazed reading this.

So.. "adopting a culture that works, a culture of social justice, knowledge and science over superstition and nepotism..". This negates investment in infrastructure? Makes it unnecessary?
Or maybe, it is a binary issue and you can't have social justice without infrastructure.

Only Nigerians think like this. They use their education against themselves, think binary and can't tell the truth to save their own lives.

3 Likes

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by lexy2014: 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2021
neyoohhh:

Citizens sir doing businesses.

How did they qualify to build infrastructure in developed countries?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

EFCC Dusts Yahaya Bello’s Files, May Be Arrested This Week / Just In: I’m Not In Abuja, But Monitoring - Melaye / Adeyinka Grandson: I’m A Yoruba Nationalist, Not Supremacist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.