Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport (34355 Views)

Abroad-based Nigerian Man Dies 2 Days After Landing In Nigeria (photo, Video) / Reps Ban Airlines From Canada, UK For Denying Nigeria Landing Rights / Air Peace Flight Lost A Tire While Landing At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Fuckyoumod: 5:32am On Aug 15, 2021
Nigerian sues UK for denying him entry after landing at Manchester airport

British-court

A Nigerian, Adeyemi Opebiyi, has sued the United Kingdom for allegedly turning him back from entering the country after he had been granted a visa and had flown from Nigeria to the Manchester Airport.

Opebiyi, who described himself as the Head of Operations, Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd, said on arriving at Manchester Airport on March 14, 2021, he was stopped by the UK Immigration official, who insisted that he must be interviewed before he could be allowed into the UK.

He claimed that he was made to wait for eight hours at the immigration desk before he was eventually interviewed by an Immigration officer, who asked him to draw the logo of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd, among other things, as a way of verifying his claim that he works with the financial institution.

Opebiyi alleged that after drawing the logo as best as he could, the Immigration officer told him that the drawing was not good enough and he would be denied entry into the UK on that basis and related reasons.

He claimed that he was subsequently detained for 10 days before he was finally deported to Nigeria on March 24.

He said in response to his request for the review of the decision, he got a letter from the UK Home Office, reading: “You were asked to draw Sabi Micro Finance Bank LTD’s logo: What you drew bore little resemblance to the logos found on all the official paperwork you submitted for your visa application.

“Furthermore, you were initially unable to state the correct names of the current Chairperson and Managing Director of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd. This is something a Head of Operations would know. You were also unable to describe the core values and mission of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd as described on its website.”

In the suit filed on his behalf by UK-based Nigerian lawyer, Mr Femi Aina, a Senior Consultant Solicitor with Martynsrose Solicitors, UK, Opebiyi is demanding damages for what he termed the unlawful and humiliating treatment meted out to him by the UK Immigration officers.

The suit was filed upper Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum chamber) UK, with the Secretary of State for Home Department (UK) named as the sole respondent to the suit.

In the court papers, copies of which were made available to our correspondent, Opebiyi’s lawyer said, “The applicant spent 16 hours on his flight to London (Lagos-Doha-Manchester). He was held for about eight hours by the respondent for further examination. He was interviewed after eight hours’ waiting and was asked to draw the company logo. Despite the fatigue and the flight stress, he tried his best possible to draw the company’s logo. The respondent’s action is oppressive as it does not have regard for his well-being.
“The applicant showed his ID card, his MD confirmed his employment. The letter dated 9th April, 2018 and the one dated 12 August, 2020 from the CBN relates to his employment. His bank statement shows regular salary payment. All the above are relevant evidence regarding his employment. The respondent’s decision that he was not employed, or that false information was used in obtaining his visa, is wrong.

“By reason of the matters aforesaid, the applicant was unlawfully detained and deprived of his liberty for 10 days at Immigration Detention Centre (Colynbrook) from the date of his arrival, 14th March 2021 up to the date of his removal i.e. 24 March, 2021.

“The respondent has acted in a way that is incompatible with the applicant’s rights under the European Convention on Human Rights, contrary to Section 6(1) as a public authority carrying out Immigration Control.”

Describing the experience as the worst in his life, Opebiyi, in the court papers, said, “I was humiliated and distressed about the whole matter. A week after returning to Nigeria I could not go to work as I was mentally unstable. I have never stayed in detention in my life. The whole experience is affecting me psychologically till now. Anytime I hear detention or see anything about the UK, I cringe. I lost my savings on a fruitless journey to the UK. I am a victim of injustice.”

The applicant, through his lawyer, said he was entitled to a claim of between £5,000 and £20,000, with interest.

He explained that he lost a total of £1,593.00 from the cost of flight ticket, taxi fare to the airport in Nigeria, Administrative Review fees that he paid in the UK and the legal fees he paid to the lawyer who processed the Administrative Review for him.

“The claimant is entitled to interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 on any sums due to him at such rate as the court shall think fit,” the lawyer said.

https://punchng.com/nigerian-sues-uk-for-denying-him-entry-after-landing-at-manchester-airport/?amp

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Fuckyoumod: 5:32am On Aug 15, 2021
Lol.... I cant shout, for over 6 years of trying to hit Front page all to no avail.
It finally came in 2021. My last 3 posts has continued to hit Front page on Nairaland back to back.

Yesterday was my Birthday! Show a brother some love.
My prayer is that the love, grace and blessings of God never departs from me, Amen.

Happy Sunday.

282 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Ceenachi: 5:42am On Aug 15, 2021
My brother, it's not about you, it's about Nigerià......the other day a Nigerian diplomat was thoroughly beaten in Indonesia and his head pinned down till he screamed the historic "I can't breath".....now you were thoroughly asked to draw your head of Government......
The truth is that , there is no respect for Nigerià and Nigerians home and abroad....

Anyone will want to deport a Nigerian even here in Africa.....

The situation is so bad that it happens everyday

225 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Mihaug(m): 5:42am On Aug 15, 2021
Upon all grasshoppers and paramecium u draw for secondary school, common working place logo u no sabi draw

Upon that, u no sabi the names of ur ogas dem.... Hmmmm

And ur suing the colonial masters of ur ancestors....

Pray make that bank no sack u,
What embarrassment to our country angry

49 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 15, 2021
Wow, what a case.

If he is telling the truth, and I hope he is, he may have a case.

Banning someone from entering the UK on the grounds that he cannot draw the logo of his bank? Is he an artist? Can the UK immigration offical draw the logo of his own organisation?

254 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Sabawaleklazik(m): 5:43am On Aug 15, 2021
Uhm
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by NOC1(m): 5:43am On Aug 15, 2021
If you clearly read the whole news, you will agree with the UK embassy that the guy is not working with the company or he is an illiterate.

Furthermore, you were initially unable to state the correct names of the current Chairperson and Managing Director of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd. This is something a Head of Operations would know. You were also unable to describe the core values and mission of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd as described on its website.”

If i am the owner of the organization I will sack him on getting this report, this shows he is incompetent and he does not believe in the organization. He is not an ambassador of the company.

Just tell me how a head of operations can’t answer this questions? Is funny, head of operations is part of every activity and he knows all management staffs.

88 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by chloride6: 5:45am On Aug 15, 2021
See humiliation sha..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by otokx(m): 5:45am On Aug 15, 2021
Interesting story.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by emmabest2000(m): 5:45am On Aug 15, 2021
British court

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Nobody: 5:46am On Aug 15, 2021
NOC1:
If you clearly read the whole news, you will agree with the UK embassy that the guy is not working with the company or he is an illiterate.

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion...especially as he showed them proof that he was employed, and his MD confirmed it?

Modified

Well, the Brits said that

Furthermore, you were initially unable to state the correct names of the current Chairperson and Managing Director of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd. This is something a Head of Operations would know. You were also unable to describe the core values and mission of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd as described on its website

Well, for all I know, it still does sound strange to me. Many people entering the UK aren't asked to state the aims and objectives of their organizations' or their organization's heads on the drop of a hat.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Charismatic107: 5:47am On Aug 15, 2021
this man village people follow am enter plane reach Manchester grin

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Rebuke: 5:48am On Aug 15, 2021
Lol. Does village people thing really happen or just a myth?

Because this brother case looks like village people at work.

All the way from Nigeria only to be denied visa at entry just for flimsy excuse like this? Hian!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by honourablelumis: 5:48am On Aug 15, 2021
Inside life

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:48am On Aug 15, 2021
NOC1:

Furthermore, you were initially unable to state the correct names of the current Chairperson and Managing Director of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd. This is something a Head of Operations would know. You were also unable to describe the core values and mission of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd as described on its website.”

If i am the owner of the organization I will sack him on getting this report, this shows he is incompetent and he does not believe in the organization. He is not an ambassador of the company.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by mlk40: 5:49am On Aug 15, 2021
That one sef dey

Follow up for this exotic piece.

High quality cell,

fast charging capacity,

2.1 A output current,

multiple protections

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Nobody: 5:49am On Aug 15, 2021
emmabest2000:
British court

In a UK court through a UK based lawyer...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Monogamy: 5:50am On Aug 15, 2021
The man is not telling the truth..

May be his visa was questionable or some of the documents used to process the visa.. A friend still enter Uk self last week

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Focusmind: 5:50am On Aug 15, 2021
He may likely win the case against all odds. Some Nigerians may not even know who the managing director of their company is talk more of knowing the company's mission and vision statement.

There is rule of law in UK even if it is against government. That's why government officials and institutions do not behave any how or else you would be sued.

However, the UK law is equally over protective of immigration and border officials. The law protects them and their decisions if they felt that they have a strong conviction not to let a traveller in, even with a visa.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Nobody: 5:51am On Aug 15, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

I'm pretty certain he does not work for the bank

On the other hand, it does sound strange that they would ask for his work details, and to draw the logo.

Most people, including many Nigerians entering the UK, aren't asked those kind of questions. Why him?

24 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Dialpad: 5:51am On Aug 15, 2021
He is likely to lose the case, the fact that you have a visa does not guarantee entry to the country, the immigration officers at the point of entry determine if you will be granted entry or not .

In this case, I only see a one sided story.

Talking about suing and getting compensation, I doubt if he will be given a dime.

The only beneficiary in terms of money is the attorney, he will continue to cash out while giving the young man unrealistic expectations.

23 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Saao(m): 5:52am On Aug 15, 2021
NOC1:

can you draw your company logo? That question is irrelevant.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by tunamenga(m): 5:54am On Aug 15, 2021
How can you quickly judge him from the story of the UK embassy. I don't trust him either but I balance my stories before judging, you won't be surprised if they are found guilty. Those people are treating us exactly the way our government is treating us and I can't blame them enough.
NOC1:

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by NOC1(m): 5:54am On Aug 15, 2021
Beancounter94:

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion...especially as he showed them proof that he was employed, and his MD confirmed it?

Modified

Well, the Brits said that

Well, for all I know, it still does sound strange to me. Many people entering the UK aren't asked to state the aims and objectives of their organizations' or their organization's heads on the drop of a hat.

During interview questions varies from person to person, some are not even asked any question.

I know companies that specialize in giving proof, they prepare you for this build your documents and make it look genuine, don’t be surprised that this organization has been blacklisted for such

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by NOC1(m): 5:55am On Aug 15, 2021
Saao:
can you draw your company logo? That question is irrelevant.

If you watch on the bolded I abandoned it, however you can sketch something that resembles it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Plunges Car Into Swamp In Bayelsa And Dies Instantly (photo) / Beauty Of Nature: My Trip To Olumirin Waterfall(Pictures) / COVID-19: Onyeama Says 200 US-based Nigerians Are Willing To Be Evacuated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.