Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,014 members, 7,814,460 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport (34374 Views)

Abroad-based Nigerian Man Dies 2 Days After Landing In Nigeria (photo, Video) / Reps Ban Airlines From Canada, UK For Denying Nigeria Landing Rights / Air Peace Flight Lost A Tire While Landing At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Ikem11(m): 12:01pm On Aug 15, 2021
richie240:

If he had bn found wanting for misinformation, they would have stated it outrightly. Instead they were only able to accuse him of his inability to properly draw d logo of his bank.
vvvvv

If there's any discrepancy in d information provided, d embassy in Nigeria, after due diligence and background checks, would have found out.

You are merely assuming. You urself are not sure.
Biko, show me where its written in their law to detain someone for inability to draw for 10 days
Oh, its because its 'oyibo' right?
Whatever they say/do must be right.
#inferiority_complex

Lolz, u are funny.
First u showed ur ignorance of d UK laws, now u r telling me to read for comprehension what u urself have not read!
Nwokeeeeeeeee!!!!
grin grin grin

Oga UK immigration officer got right to detain you at detention center in UK after entry refusal for more than 10days.

I don't know why you guys always think u know it all when u never cross even Ghana. How can u arguing something they know better than u.

Abeg make I keep quiet

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 12:05pm On Aug 15, 2021
Focusmind:
He may likely win the case against all odds. Some Nigerians may not even know who the managing director of their company is talk more of knowing the company's mission and vision statement.

There is rule of law in UK even if it is against government. That's why government officials and institutions do not behave any how or else you would be sued.

However, the UK law is equally over protective of immigration and border officials. The law protects them and their decisions if they felt that they have a strong conviction not to let a traveller in, even with a visa.

YOU BETTER SHUT UP THERE!!!

YOU ARE A VERY IGNORANT FELLOW!

HOW CAN A HEAD OF OPERATIONS NOT KNOW THE VISION AND MISSION STATEMENT OF HIS COMPANY?
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Ezmans: 12:11pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ceenachi:
My brother, it's not about you, it's about Nigerià......the other day a Nigerian diplomat was thoroughly beaten in Indonesia and his head pinned down till he screamed the historic "I can't breath".....now you were thoroughly asked to draw your head of Government......
The truth is that , there is no respect for Nigerià and Nigerians home and abroad....

Anyone will want to deport a Nigerian even here in Africa.....

The situation is so bad that it happens everyday
European nations & asian nations are now treating corrupt nigerians the language they I'll understand

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Ezmans: 12:11pm On Aug 15, 2021
Mihaug:
Upon all grasshoppers and paramecium u draw for secondary school, common working place logo u no sabi draw

Upon that, u no sabi the names of ur ogas dem.... Hmmmm

And ur suing the colonial masters of ur ancestors....

Pray make that bank no sack u,
What embarrassment to our country angry

you Sabi mfb, see name
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by richie240: 12:12pm On Aug 15, 2021
If this anomaly had happened in Nigeria, ur ilks would've bn wailing "zoo country" "failed Nation" upandan, but because na oyibo, then ''it must be in their constitution "
Tueh!

Nwoke, I'm not here to argue with u biko, Just show me where its written in d constitution of UK where they can detain someone for 10 days for failure to draw logo properly as u asserted!
Dassol!
cool
Ikem11:

Oga UK immigration officer got right to detain you at detention center in UK after entry refusal for more than 10days.

I don't know why you guys always think u know it all when u never cross even Ghana. How can u arguing something they know better than u.

Abeg make I keep quiet
......waiting....

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Mummyimbecile(m): 12:14pm On Aug 15, 2021
Our people have a saying that... " go to your house" is not an insult. If they don't want you in their country, you come back to Nigeria Nah!

Although what they asked you in the interview is frivolous and childish, to say the least...
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by advanceDNA: 12:19pm On Aug 15, 2021
dongc:

He actually won this case and currently negotiating payment...not sure why punch omitted it in their reporting..this is good news for him..

Where did u read the concluding part..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Gbsks: 12:25pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ikem11:

We not contesting about bank here... Anyone can open an office and call it micro bank. My point to you if that the said website am seeing there is a cheap scam and not affiliated to any micro or bank or even a piggy bank.

Its just a purely done scam simple. Untill you get me a micro finance bank that can have their website designed like that trash I will listen to you
To be honest, that website is crap, no wonder he was denied entry. A junior web developer should be flogged if he develops that crap called a website
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by planetx: 12:33pm On Aug 15, 2021
The fact that he flew 16 hrs from Lagos to Doha to Manchester is a red flag to the border officers. Why not just fly 6 hrs from Lagos to Heathrow if you are not trying to avoid scrutiny.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by haslaw(m): 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2021
NOC1:

Stop throwing tantrums, I am not behind your predicaments, your folly is the reason why you are frustrated.

Sorry Mr. Rif raf, I don't have time for drug addicts like you. You are hereby ignored.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by NOC1(m): 12:40pm On Aug 15, 2021
haslaw:

Sorry Mr. Rif raf, I don't have time for drug addicts like you. You are hereby ignored.

Hahhhaaha, psycho kindly return back to rehab. You are not fit to be in the midst of healthy people.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by airsaylongcome: 12:49pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ikem11:

Chai ignorance. If am an agent and my mission is getting visas for people... Do u think building a career 4 to 5yrs is a problem? Mind you that guy isn't the first person to pass borders with that website.

He only got unlucky... First time travel tension at immigration point to make u look suspicious even when your father is dangote

I asked a simple question and you are saying "ignorance". I will ask it again. Can I register a domain name in 2021 and it will appear on all the whois servers worldwide that I registered it in 2018?

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Ikem11(m): 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2021
airsaylongcome:

I asked a simple question and you are saying "ignorance". I will ask it again. Can I register a domain name in 2021 and it will appear on all the whois servers worldwide that I registered it in 2018?

That's what am telling u and u still asking ignorant question. The website was created in 2018 for the purpose of getting visas for people.

How can u be asking a question of appearing 2018 if it wasn't created 2018
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Hushpuppy20(m): 12:59pm On Aug 15, 2021
Even bloody racist Nigerians are criticising this guy for defending his rights! whao, what has really gotten into our brain in this country is it the suffering or what, so because they are British means they are always right? You people should think before majority of you accusing him will be spitting out your saliva anyhow.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by loswhite(m): 1:04pm On Aug 15, 2021
NOC1:
If you clearly read the whole news, you will agree with the UK embassy that the guy is not working with the company or he is an illiterate.

Furthermore, you were initially unable to state the correct names of the current Chairperson and Managing Director of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd. This is something a Head of Operations would know. You were also unable to describe the core values and mission of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd as described on its website.”

If i am the owner of the organization I will sack him on getting this report, this shows he is incompetent and he does not believe in the organization. He is not an ambassador of the company.

Just tell me how a head of operations can’t answer this questions? Is funny, head of operations is part of every activity and he knows all management staffs.
Is this kind of interview applicable to other countries? Idiot Black ppl always supporting rubbish. If you want to verify the claims of employment you can contact the bank while he is on detention rather than asking stupid questions.
The NSCDC spokesman that couldn't state the correct website of the NSCDC can be described as incompetent but not a liar. You cannot say he doesn't work at NSCDC because he probably had stage freight and couldn't state the website correctly.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by armadeo(m): 1:33pm On Aug 15, 2021
balmofgilead:
As a Lawyer, this is my Take. While the UK Embassy is expected to conduct all background and security check on an individual, they still reserve the right to deny you entry into the country if they suspect anything fishy. The statement Visa is a privilege and not a right is rather vague. I think it is safe to say entry into any country even with a valid Visa is conditional and not absolute.

There is the immigration office where you apply for your Visa, and there is the border control which have their own requirements independent of the other. In this mans case, we do not have the full facts for one, which the court will hear and make a determination upon. However, refusing him entry based on him not knowing how to draw, is rather unnecessary in my opinion. Failing to name key officials in his company is however a red flag. The company has a website, hushpuppy can have a company website too. The company's status on CAC public search is inactive. Red flag number 2.

Where his case may have some strength is in the fact that he was detained. the reason for his detention will be an issue the court will determine. If detention was necessary, he will go home with nothing, if unnecessary then he can start getting his bank account ready.

Read this for more info.https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/denied-entry-to-the-uk/. Happy Sunday!

Spoken like a true enlightened fellow.

I've just been laughing at the comments here since. You want to sue for refusal to enter ( laughable) detainment ( debateable). The only person coming out on top is his lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by armadeo(m): 1:46pm On Aug 15, 2021
planetx:
The fact that he flew 16 hrs from Lagos to Doha to Manchester is a red flag to the border officers. Why not just fly 6 hrs from Lagos to Heathrow if you are not trying to avoid scrutiny.

Depends on where he is going to. I've also flown hours to Manchester and Heathrow.

Direct flight is usually more expensive using British Airways. But its worth it now in the long run.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Newboss(m): 1:48pm On Aug 15, 2021
ezewealth:

What do u mean by cramming, so, as a head of operations in your organization, u don't know ur organization's core value. So what are u are you doing there? Most Nigerians are just not employable.
This is just the case of our historic "oga at the top".

Core values statement is just a marketing nonsense. It's as useless as the p in psychology. It's better to focus on productivity.

Some years back, I went to meet my IT supervisor. He asked me to name two lecturers in my department. I said I don't know any. Well, I was actually at the top of that very class, so I wasn't some unserious student. Your name is irrelevant to me, till date. Except I need it for something

At work, endeavour to channel every cell of your brain towards productive activities. Cut as much waste as you can
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Psalmistproject: 1:51pm On Aug 15, 2021
Beancounter94:

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion...especially as he showed them proof that he was employed, and his MD confirmed it?

Modified

Well, the Brits said that

Well, for all I know, it still does sound strange to me. Many people entering the UK aren't asked to state the aims and objectives of their organizations' or their organization's heads on the drop of a hat.

If you submit documents related to that so as to further speed up your Visa process then be ready to defend them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by UnabashedIPOB: 2:17pm On Aug 15, 2021
A Nigerian, Adeyemi Opebiyi, has sued the United Kingdom for allegedly turning him back from entering the country after he had been granted a visa and had flown from Nigeria to the Manchester Airport.

I am not sure about UK Immigration law, but in the US, an immigration officer at every port of entry has the discretionary power to determine who to let into the country or not regardless of if you have a US Visa. This discretionary power was granted under the Immigration law by Congress. So, if it's in the US, he has no standing at all.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 15, 2021
Because often times direct flights are more expensive. If you dont fly direct you can use cheaper airlines. It may cost $2000 to fly direct to Heathrow , but only $400 to fly with a layover in Doha.
planetx:
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by countycarer: 3:54pm On Aug 15, 2021
https://sabimfb.com/

website that does not have an address or contact no. Name and picture of the M.D not on the official website. the website looks fake and you wonder why they refused him. In addition, why would CBN give you an employment letter.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by countycarer: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2021
The fact he was detained for 10 days was to do with[b] COVID SELF ISOLATION[/b] they would not have been to put him on a flight the next day . no airline would have accepted him. He would have also been told as well.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by NaBanga: 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2021
Fix Nigeria so that no one has to travel out. Africans need to unite so the whites cannot treat the black man like trash.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Gfskw: 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2021
Lol
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Cousin9999: 4:39pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ceenachi:
My brother, it's not about you, it's about Nigerià...there is no respect

Respect isn't the issue. Fear and anger are.

Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa, it's not polluted with nonblacks, and Nigerians excel anywhere in the world you find them. You have no idea how angry that makes oyinbos and other nonblacks. Oyinbos are so evil that the simple idea of black people living well bothers them. And it hurts their fragile ego to be confronted with the reality that their racist fantasies aren't real.

Furthermore, oyinbos fear economic strength in African nations because all the necessary resources are there to end trading with nonAfrican nations.

That is why they do petty nonsense like this.

That said, he could have just crossed paths with a miserable chāv who's mad because his wife cheated with a Nigerian.
¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by Babanah: 5:20pm On Aug 15, 2021
Beancounter94:
Wow, what a case.

If he is telling the truth, and I hope he is, he may have a case.

Banning someone from entering the UK on the grounds that he cannot draw the logo of his bank? Is he an artist? Can the UK immigration offical draw the logo of his own organisation?
Your securing a visa does not grant automatic right of entry into the country. This is reserved for citizens or others who have right of abode in that country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by erniok(m): 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2021
ppogba:
Aside visa issue, when banking was banking, you can get sacked instantly if you can not state the vision and mission statement of your organization. Not to talk of not knowing the chairperson or the MD.

They still ask core values questions during interviews. That's why I'm shocked at the responses I read here. It's obvious some many people here are ignorant of the banking system and yet, they won't hesitate to comment.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by OLULAW: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2021
Dead on arrival. This case is doomed to fail, trust me.
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by zoedew: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2021
Fuckyoumod:
Nigerian sues UK for denying him entry after landing at Manchester airport

British-court

A Nigerian, Adeyemi Opebiyi, has sued the United Kingdom for allegedly turning him back from entering the country after he had been granted a visa and had flown from Nigeria to the Manchester Airport.

Opebiyi, who described himself as the Head of Operations, Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd, said on arriving at Manchester Airport on March 14, 2021, he was stopped by the UK Immigration official, who insisted that he must be interviewed before he could be allowed into the UK.

He claimed that he was made to wait for eight hours at the immigration desk before he was eventually interviewed by an Immigration officer, who asked him to draw the logo of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd, among other things, as a way of verifying his claim that he works with the financial institution.

Opebiyi alleged that after drawing the logo as best as he could, the Immigration officer told him that the drawing was not good enough and he would be denied entry into the UK on that basis and related reasons.

He claimed that he was subsequently detained for 10 days before he was finally deported to Nigeria on March 24.

He said in response to his request for the review of the decision, he got a letter from the UK Home Office, reading: “You were asked to draw Sabi Micro Finance Bank LTD’s logo: What you drew bore little resemblance to the logos found on all the official paperwork you submitted for your visa application.

“Furthermore, you were initially unable to state the correct names of the current Chairperson and Managing Director of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd. This is something a Head of Operations would know. You were also unable to describe the core values and mission of Sabi Micro Finance Bank Ltd as described on its website.”

In the suit filed on his behalf by UK-based Nigerian lawyer, Mr Femi Aina, a Senior Consultant Solicitor with Martynsrose Solicitors, UK, Opebiyi is demanding damages for what he termed the unlawful and humiliating treatment meted out to him by the UK Immigration officers.

The suit was filed upper Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum chamber) UK, with the Secretary of State for Home Department (UK) named as the sole respondent to the suit.

In the court papers, copies of which were made available to our correspondent, Opebiyi’s lawyer said, “The applicant spent 16 hours on his flight to London (Lagos-Doha-Manchester). He was held for about eight hours by the respondent for further examination. He was interviewed after eight hours’ waiting and was asked to draw the company logo. Despite the fatigue and the flight stress, he tried his best possible to draw the company’s logo. The respondent’s action is oppressive as it does not have regard for his well-being.
“The applicant showed his ID card, his MD confirmed his employment. The letter dated 9th April, 2018 and the one dated 12 August, 2020 from the CBN relates to his employment. His bank statement shows regular salary payment. All the above are relevant evidence regarding his employment. The respondent’s decision that he was not employed, or that false information was used in obtaining his visa, is wrong.

“By reason of the matters aforesaid, the applicant was unlawfully detained and deprived of his liberty for 10 days at Immigration Detention Centre (Colynbrook) from the date of his arrival, 14th March 2021 up to the date of his removal i.e. 24 March, 2021.

“The respondent has acted in a way that is incompatible with the applicant’s rights under the European Convention on Human Rights, contrary to Section 6(1) as a public authority carrying out Immigration Control.”

Describing the experience as the worst in his life, Opebiyi, in the court papers, said, “I was humiliated and distressed about the whole matter. A week after returning to Nigeria I could not go to work as I was mentally unstable. I have never stayed in detention in my life. The whole experience is affecting me psychologically till now. Anytime I hear detention or see anything about the UK, I cringe. I lost my savings on a fruitless journey to the UK. I am a victim of injustice.”

The applicant, through his lawyer, said he was entitled to a claim of between £5,000 and £20,000, with interest.

He explained that he lost a total of £1,593.00 from the cost of flight ticket, taxi fare to the airport in Nigeria, Administrative Review fees that he paid in the UK and the legal fees he paid to the lawyer who processed the Administrative Review for him.

“The claimant is entitled to interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 on any sums due to him at such rate as the court shall think fit,” the lawyer said.

https://punchng.com/nigerian-sues-uk-for-denying-him-entry-after-landing-at-manchester-airport/?amp

So irritating!
Re: Nigerian Sues UK For Denying Him Entry After Landing At Manchester Airport by aribisala0(m): 10:06pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ikem11:

Abeg make I keep quiet
It is not a "right" it is a power or authority

If such a thing exists

That is why they are in court why not wait for the court to pronounce instead of talking ignorantly

If you believe such a power exists can you cite the statute that gives such a power

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Girl Hit By A Speeding Vehicle Escapes Death. Photos / Beauty Of Nature: My Trip To Olumirin Waterfall(Pictures) / Ojo Barracks Tanker Explosion: 3 Dead (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.