Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes (12681 Views)

5 Reasons Why Pastors Do Not Need Private Jets / Private Jets: CAN Slams Kukah, Bakare / Pastors Owning Private Jets Is An Embarrassment – Bishop Mathew Kukah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by dejiariyo1: 1:50am On May 19, 2011
A few wealthy Nigerians spent at least $225 million acquiring private jets between March 2010 and March 2011, a Nigerian newspaper reported on Monday.

According to the report published by the Punch Newspaper, a couple of the acquisitions were made by billionaires Aliko Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Last year, Dangote acquired a US$45 million Bombardier jet as a gift to himself on his 53rd birthday, while Mike Adenuga purchased a Bombardier Global Express XRS. Both Dangote and Adenuga own at least two private planes each.

Apart from wealthy business tycoons, Nigerian clergymen and spiritual leaders are also joining the very elite league of jet owners.

In March this year, David Oyedepo, a Nigerian cleric generally believed to be Africa’s wealthiest gospel preacher, acquired a Gulfstream V jet for US$30 million. Oyedepo, who presides over the Winners Chapel, one of Africa’s largest churches, now owns a private collection of four aircraft. In addition to his latest acquisition, he previously owned two Gulfstream planes and a Bombardier Challenger Aircraft. He is also reportedly creating a private hanger to accommodate his flying toys.

Oyedepo is not the only Nigerian clergyman to own a jet. Pastor Enoch Adeboye, the revered overseer of Nigeria’s largest congregation, The Redeemed Christian Church of God, is also a proud jet owner. In March 2009, the great man of God spent $30 million on a Gulfstream jet amidst widespread criticism. Pastor Sam Adeyemi, another cleric and founder of the Daystar Christian center, a flourishing Pentecostal congregation which repeatedly preaches financial prosperity, is also a jet owner.

It’s not cheap to own a private jet. On average, it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to maintain a personal plane. The majority of Nigerians frown at such flagrant displays of opulence, particularly on the path of their clergymen, given that 60% of Nigerians still live below the poverty line.

Paradoxically, the same people who complain about the extravagant lifestyles of their spiritual leaders are the same ones who finance it. Every Sunday, swarms of worshipers rush to the church to give away their hard-earned money to the pastors’ coffers in the form of tithes, offerings and special gifts with the deluded hope of multiplied financial blessings in return. For many, this is but a pipe dream. Deep down, the pastors smile; they’ve got just the perfect suckers.

http://blogs.forbes.com/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/17/wealthy-nigerians-pastors-spend-225-million-on-private-jets/
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by GODSON2009(m): 2:02am On May 19, 2011
i am a christian but there are some things that cant be defended,men of GOD do not need private jets to propagate the gospel,i was suprised the day i learnt warren buffet one of the richest men in the world who owns substancial shares in net jet manufacturers of airplanes,jets yet he doesnt have his own private jet, the money will go a long way in setting up soup kitchesns,subsidised healthcare for church members and as other sources of welfare
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by JeSoul(f): 3:16pm On May 19, 2011
GODSON2009:

i am a christian but there are some things that cant be defended,men of GOD do not need private jets to propagate the gospel, i was suprised the day i learnt warren buffet one of the richest men in the world who owns substancial shares in net jet manufacturers of airplanes,jets yet he doesnt have his own private jet, the money will go a long way in setting up soup kitchesns,subsidised healthcare for church members and as other sources of welfare
Just wait for them to come and tell us the MOG schedule is a very busy one and they need to move around with ease and to distant lands.

$225million dollars in one year on aeronautic toys . . . oh well. Nigerians have always been a flashy, extravagant people, MOGs are just continuing in that tradition.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Joagbaje(m): 3:47pm On May 19, 2011
Pastor Sam Adeyemi, another cleric and founder of the Daystar Christian center, a flourishing Pentecostal congregation which repeatedly preaches financial prosperity, is also a jet owner.

Pastor Sam Adeyemi doesn't own a jet.

patrick45:

Well i am not saying this to mean that some pastor are better than the other, cos the bible expressly instructed that "we should not judge", My pastor Rv. Sam Adeyemi. Drives himself and wife to church every sunday. No tinted glasses, no convoy nothing. I just believe that people are different and do things differently , having cogent justification for their actions.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by dare2think: 4:13pm On May 19, 2011
deji.ariyo:

It’s not cheap to own a private jet. On average, it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to maintain a personal plane. The majority of Nigerians frown at such flagrant displays of opulence, particularly on the path of their clergymen, given that 60% of Nigerians still live below the poverty line.

Sad, but true. "Liberate the world from oppression", really
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by dare2think: 4:14pm On May 19, 2011
deji.ariyo:

Paradoxically, the same people who complain about the extravagant lifestyles of their spiritual leaders are the same ones who finance it. Every Sunday, swarms of worshipers rush to the church to give away their hard-earned money to the pastors’ coffers in the form of tithes, offerings and special gifts with the deluded hope of multiplied financial blessings in return. For many, this is but a pipe dream. Deep down, the pastors smile; they’ve got just the perfect suckers.

Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by JeSoul(f): 4:53pm On May 19, 2011
Joagbaje:

Quote from: patrick45 on Today at 08:10:57 AM
Well i am not saying this to mean that some pastor are better than the other, cos the bible expressly instructed that "we should not judge", My pastor Rv. Sam Adeyemi. Drives himself and wife to church every sunday. No tinted glasses, no convoy nothing. I just believe that people are different and do things differently , having cogent justification for their actions.
  Hmm, this a very tough call . . .

which source should we trust? Forbes? or patrick45?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by GODSON2009(m): 4:56pm On May 19, 2011
JeSoul:

Just wait for them to come and tell us the MOG schedule is a very busy one and they need to move around with ease and to distant lands.

$225million dollars in one year on aeronautic toys . . . oh well. Nigerians have always been a flashy, extravagant people, MOGs are just continuing in that tradition.
the most alrming of all is that nobody is even saying anything about the damage a single person having 4 airplanes is doing to the environment which is morally wrong on so many levels.your last comment always pisses me off because people especially westerners see the few nigerians who are in a position of authority  with this ostentatious display of wealth and we the ordinary ngerians get the negative rap for it, we really need  to go back to the days of basic christianity when the pastor in the vicarage was the school principal and would be a source of encouragement and strenght to his congregation not a  reason for his congregation  to go out and look for money by any means cry
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by GODSON2009(m): 5:00pm On May 19, 2011
there is absolutely no justification irrespective of any way we dice or slice it for any man of GOD to use a private jet it is a status symbol and nothing else. the likes of watchman nee,john g lake etc did not use private jets and their workers died for the cause of christianity/hunger and desease while spreading the gospel along the lenght and breath of africa and in my honest opinion it is an insult on their memories for a pastor to fly a private jet to the countries those people gained for christianity with their blistered bloodied feet,sweat and blood
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Zikkyy(m): 5:23pm On May 19, 2011
Jo, you don dey fall my hand as usual grin how can you use this post below . . . . .

. . . . . . to arrive at your conclusion on Sam Adeyemi private jet status angry

Joagbaje:

or you expect the man to fly his private jet to church every sunday grin
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Zikkyy(m): 5:26pm On May 19, 2011
JeSoul:

Hmm, this a very tough call . . .

which source should we trust? Forbes? or patrick45?

Just trust Jo grin I know he is not so reliable, but he could be right smiley
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by JeSoul(f): 5:53pm On May 19, 2011
^Come self, Zikky, be like say me self no read that post well well. Its not even a case of which source is true -

As you pointed out, Patrick45 says his pastor Adeyemi drives to church every sunday morning - (Joagbaje) how does this stretch to mean Adeyemi does not own a plane? Is he supposed to fly his plane to church every sunday?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by JeSoul(f): 6:00pm On May 19, 2011
GODSON2009:

there is absolutely no justification irrespective of any way we dice or slice it for any man of GOD to use a private jet it is a status symbol and nothing else. the likes of watchman nee,john g lake etc did not use private jets and their workers died for the cause of christianity/hunger and desease while spreading the gospel along the lenght and breath of africa and in my honest opinion it is an insult on their memories for a pastor to fly a private jet to the countries those people gained for christianity with their blistered bloodied feet,sweat and blood
Gbam. Finito.

My brother they tell us they're "spreading the gospel" . . . one can only laugh. They're travelling to London, Switzerland, US etc . . . They're going to 'spread the gospel' to the same 'people' who brought us the gospel in the first place. Imagine Chuks in computer village in Lagos going to Silicon Valley in California to spread the good news of the new intel operating system.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Joagbaje(m): 7:40pm On May 19, 2011
@jesoul
JeSoul:

^Come self, Zikky, be like say me self no read that post well well. Its not even a case of which source is true -

As you pointed out, Patrick45 says his pastor Adeyemi drives to church every sunday morning - (Joagbaje) how does this stretch to mean Adeyemi does not own a plane? Is he supposed to fly his plane to church every sunday?

The issue is not about flying to church. But the simplicity of the man . He has only one branch of church.He doesn't have multiple branches of churches to over see and visit. So he has no need of jet plane logically. And besides there is no source to the fact that he has one.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by livin: 8:34pm On May 19, 2011
Joagbaje:

@jesoul
The issue is not about flying to church. But the simplicity of the man . He has only one branch of church.He doesn't have multiple branches of churches to over see and visit. So he has no need of jet plane logically. And besides there is no source to the fact that he has one.

Meaning those with with jets r not simple
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Zikkyy(m): 8:41pm On May 19, 2011
livin:

Yes o grin Jo no dey disappoint grin While he trying to untangle/ free himself from one blunder, he is commiting another one grin

Joagbaje:

@jesoul
He has only one branch of church.He doesn't have multiple branches of churches to over see and visit. So he has no need of jet plane logically. And besides there is no source to the fact that he has one.

So private jet is meant for branch visit grin to check up on the collections grin all this while i had the impression it was meant for taking the gospel to previously unexplored locations sad
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by newmi(m): 8:49pm On May 19, 2011
GODSON2009:

i am a christian but there are some things that cant be defended,men of GOD do not need private jets to propagate the gospel
ok perhaps they need private bicycles that will please you se bi

GODSON2009:

the money will go a long way in setting up soup kitchesns,subsidised healthcare for church members and as other sources of welfare
who says that the properity of a "preacher" must be connected to his congregation
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by EarsWide(m): 9:03pm On May 19, 2011
@Newmi

you said

Now you are just been st*pid - is there nothing in between a plane and a bicycle ?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by JeSoul(f): 9:03pm On May 19, 2011
livin:

grin Its not that they're not simple, its that their faith is not strong enough to power a jet yet.

newmi:

who says that the properity of a "preacher" must be connected to his congregation
Is it okay for a pastor to drive in his 2012 Cadillac escalade past his congregation who are waiting at the bus stop to catch danfo to go to their 3rd job just to make ends meet?

A pastor is first and above all called to serve - the sheep and not himself. No one is saying they should live destitute, poverty-stricken lives, but the gospel is not a cash cow by which one uses to shamelessly enrich himself at the expense of his gullible flock.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Zikkyy(m): 9:08pm On May 19, 2011
newmi:

Private bicycles makes a lot of sense smiley it's a reflection of the pastor's 'simplicity' grin

newmi:

ha, there is a connection o cheesy the pastor has no other job, his business revolves around the congregation. meaning the congregation is his source of wealth. He should give back something angry
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Zikkyy(m): 9:13pm On May 19, 2011
JeSoul:

grin Its not that they're not simple, its that their faith is not strong enough to power a jet yet.

What i read you say is that this private jet issue is not as 'simple' as it appears to be grin
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by GODSON2009(m): 10:52pm On May 19, 2011
JeSoul:

Gbam. Finito.

My brother they tell us they're "spreading the gospel" . . . one can only laugh. They're travelling to London, Switzerland, US etc . . . They're going to 'spread the gospel' to the same 'people' who brought us the gospel in the first place. Imagine Chuks in computer village in Lagos going to Silicon Valley in California to spread the good news of the new intel operating system.
lmao at the bolded chuks will also be needing private jet or bill gates will not take him serious,he has to rep the brand.
newmi:

no it wont please me but there are several alternatives before arriving at a private jet,i am a member of rccg but i have not smelled G.O's jet talk less of having a go inside it ,now i live in the uk so im still having it ok the majority of the congregation in nigeria cant even eat three square meals a day pls do explain the rationale behind that
newmi:

are you serious?did you really mean to say that , so a scenario where the pastor is launching his 20th car at the expense of congregations walking miles to church on an empty stomach is normal?
if christians have this mindset no wonder things have degenerated to this level
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Knight1(m): 12:02pm On May 20, 2011
why do people think like this now? undecided
Does anyone think that if Oyedepo or any of the pastors pass on, the jets will be transfered to their offsprings?
its just like saying the president purchases jets and then it's at the expense of tax payers. yes it is but the jets belong to the office and not the individuals!!!

this is not to say i support the flamboyant lifestyle of some of them preachers, but this is just my 2 cents!
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 20, 2011
Don't see the point of including Adenuga and Dangote in this article.

Hardly a waste for them is it?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by bidemi12(m): 12:11pm On May 20, 2011
money that should have gone into bettering the lives of the congregation. . . . .419 at it's most sophisticated.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by temiiii(m): 12:14pm On May 20, 2011
There's nothing bad in them buying jets if it's a means of propagating the Gospel round the world, this is an era of kingdom wealth for the church of God and we are all supposed to walk in this realm, kudos my pastors
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by krixik(m): 12:18pm On May 20, 2011
Don't blame the man cos he didin't force his members to bring in those money, however he may be guilty of hypnotizing them cos i am yet to come to terms why even the learned in the society are also the victims of these so called men of God. Using their money to build a vast business empire and yet their eyes refuse to open to see the reality that they are being duped. He built a school with their money yet over 90% of them can't afford the school fees whereas church should be a last refuge for the poor and less priviledged. Church should be a non-profit making organisation so their school fees should have been cheaper than the public schools. Learned that he bought his fourth jet sometime ago, what a hell is he doing with four jets when african richest man Alhaji Dangote has only one cos he knows that the cost of maintaining more than one jet can crash his business and this man is busy acquring more at the expense of his poor members. why not use that money to subsidize the school fees in his school so that it can be affordable to the briiliant children of his poor members. The end time is here. When you are told that God is there, don't go there cos God is everywhere. That's Biblical warning. Beware of false Prophets.

1 Like

Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by EarsWide(m): 12:25pm On May 20, 2011
@Knight1

you said
why do people think like this now?
Does anyone think that if Oyedepo or any of the pastors pass on, the jets will be transfered to their offsprings?
its just like saying the president purchases jets and then it's at the expense of tax payers. yes it is but the jets belong to the office and not the individuals!!!

this is not to say i support the flamboyant lifestyle of some of them preachers, but this is just my 2 cents!

Are you aware that his two sons head the church branches in New York and London ? Do you still the jets belong to the office and not the individual/family ?. The next pastor of Winners Chapel will most likely be an Oyedepo. In anycase it is irresponsible for the church to buy 2/4 private jets in the midst of so much poverty in Nigeria.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Grassroot: 12:31pm On May 20, 2011
$30M (=N4.5B) on a fleet, and some pastors have more than one?

come on guys, some of us still have the guts to defend that with the "don't judge" crap. Is it because they are pastors? Ok, it is fine to apply "don't judge" to pastors but not to politicians, right? Which one is better? Improve the welfare of your church members or buy a fleet. Whereas, same persons condemn politicians for wrong spending of public funds.

Someone check the meaning of hypocrisy. Every second you say something is good or bad, you judge. How come our eyes are not clear enough to see the manipulations of these so called MOGs.

Have they finished preaching the gospel to Nigerians? Have they covered the north? that they have to fly to US, Switzerland, and other places whenever they like, for what? preaching? or holiday?

Maybe I'm missing something cos I read the bible and I'm a Christan too. My bible preaches that love is the greatest commandment. I don't think going on spending sprees like these at the expense of the tithe from poor church goers is love. No, I don't think so. Sorry guys, here I've to judge here. It is completely wrong. Jesus fed thousands. If they want to be christlike, they can feed millions, maybe billions.

No offense meant
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 20, 2011
Knight1:

why do people think like this now? undecided

Bend down, collect your lashes

So the church now has the same structure as government? Is the church now a democratic society? Does the congregation vote for their pastors? Pick your anus analogies well,

To those who believe in 'Touch not my anointed, and do my prophet no harm', I tire for una,

Aren't we all God's anointed?

Please, call spade a spade. No rational thinking person would defend this ostentatious display of wealth.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 20, 2011
JeSoul:

Gbam. Finito.

Excellent point, I don't quite get the idea of spreading the gospel especially to the same place the gospel came from. An excuse to travel and see the world, that's what I'll say.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by suxes2005(m): 12:52pm On May 20, 2011
All na packaging jor, I'm a xtian and i once worked with a pastor so
i kinda know where and how some of the gets their money. My pastor
preaches outside and get not less dan 100k for a single ministratn,

Private jet case, hmnnnnn dem dey avoid hold-up and moreso maybe na
memebr buy am 4 em

SHALOM

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Assassination Attempt On Tb Joshua: Devil Is A Liar / How Do You Identify A True Man Of God? / Coronavirus: Make Sanitary Materials Available At Worship Centres - CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.