Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes (12699 Views)

5 Reasons Why Pastors Do Not Need Private Jets / Private Jets: CAN Slams Kukah, Bakare / Pastors Owning Private Jets Is An Embarrassment – Bishop Mathew Kukah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by scopusng(m): 12:52pm On May 20, 2011
Well, there is no problem, since the world as they say is coming to an end this weekend. They should all go to heaven or hell with their private jets. Nonsense. What is the problem with all these Pentecostal churches? This is one of the reasons why I like catholic church, personal property belong to the church. Would Anthony Okojie own a private jet?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by sonyvaio(f): 12:58pm On May 20, 2011
see bishop taking all the gospel to all the world

imagine him going through the hassles of Murtala Mohammed airport

Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Koolking(m): 1:08pm On May 20, 2011
What gospel are they preaching and the where are they preaching. It baffles me that upon all these preachings, there is no moral attitude from majority of Nigerian. They are churning out monsters everyday.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 20, 2011
Wish all these Pastors were like the much abused PROPHET TB JOSHUA
NIGERIA WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE FOR ALL
Rather than acquiring jets, not one,not two but 2,4
May God bless me too so i can acquire as much JETS as i want
By that time, i pray to remember to bless people with my wealth
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by livin: 1:26pm On May 20, 2011
Koolking:

What gospel are they preaching and the where are they preaching. It baffles me that upon all these preachings, there is no moral attitude from majority of Nigerian. They are churning out monsters everyday.

My thoughts exactly. If truly the truth of the gospel is preached n practiced by even 10% of the people who go to church every Sunday in Nigeria, why then is d country so corrupt?
Its so sad to see how much power ignorance has.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Xfactoria: 1:29pm On May 20, 2011
temiiii:

There's nothing bad in them buying jets if it's a means of propagating the Gospel round the world, this is an era of kingdom wealth for the church of God and we are all supposed to walk in this realm, kudos my pastors

Guy, there is everything wrong with it!!!

When Jesus was here, there were donkeys and chariots that could take him and his disciples everywhere to preach the gospel but he didn't own one of them. When he was going to Jerusalem he had to send his disciples to go ask a man for the use of his donkey. His disciples did not need a jet to take the gospel to all parts of Europe and the entire world. You don't need jets to spread the gospel. There are people who are doing more than enough for the gospel in those places they fly the jets to. The acquisition of jets could have been well justified if I they have to go to places like Somalia, Ethiopia, Chad, Sudan, Libya and many hidden African countries where Islam holds sway to conquer those regions for christ. You will never see them go to such places. Europians were successful with bringing the gospel to us and they didn't use jet. I am not sure the Archbishop of Canterbury owns a jet takless of the pope.

Jesus told us of what is actually more rewarding for a christian to do and it is helping the poor. The early church in Acts chapter 3 brought together all that they had and shared it among themselves equally and there was no rich nor poor. That is an example of what the church should be. We have so many almajiris in the north of Nigeria who would have embraced christianity if only these church leaders channel these resources to evangelize them. We were worse off than these folks in the South before the Europeans brought the gospel to us and we concurrently embraced the civilization that came with it. There are still plenty of lands to conquer in Nigeria. they should focus their. As long as there are poor people on the face of the earth, there will never be a justification for owning expensive properties such as jets.

The truth is many men of God have abandoned evangelism and embraced the convenience of preaching from a pulpit in an air-conditioned church. The reason why many of these men have their church headquarters located in Lagos and its surroundings. Some even relocated their HQ from Ibadan to Lagos. The judgement day is coming and we'll all be shocked when they are disowned by God as He promised to do.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by MMM2(m): 1:33pm On May 20, 2011
money
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Koolking(m): 1:44pm On May 20, 2011
livin:

My thoughts exactly. If truly the truth of the gospel is preached n practiced by even 10% of the people who go to church every Sunday in Nigeria, why then is d country so corrupt?
Its so sad to see how much power ignorance has.

Everything is fundamentally wrong with this opulence lifestyle of some of our Nigerian pastors. As a pastor, you are called to shepherd the flock , to serve the flock. Giving back to the congregation is not by mere setting up institutions and charge exorbitant fees or in another way round "mainly for the children of the first class citizens". This is wrong.

Even the Vatican city (I mean "city) that has the Pope at the helm of affairs with over 1 million Catholics does not acquire private jet for the pope but chooses to hire Alitalia jet for the Pope's trip.

Why are we this wasteful in this part of the world?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by AjanleKoko: 1:51pm On May 20, 2011
The fact is this: Nigerians are aspirational and pride themselves on the latest start of the art everything. We are mega consumers and rank even higher than many citizens of developed countries. Even with no credit system, we buy and buy and flaunt with reckless abandon.

Even Nigerian secondary school students are touting $500 phones, the latest BB Touch models, Samsung Galaxy S, iPads and Galaxy Tabs.
I wonder how you can single out pastors, when salaried employees in Nigeria are driving hummers, Audi Q7s, and Benz GL550s, and G wagons. How many Range Rover HSE Sport 2010 models do I count everyday on my way to work, driven by supposedly salaried employees on their way to work, in a 3rd world nation with very low GDP and life expectancy? We're not known to be modest people, why should our tele-evangelists have a different outlook?

All na part of the same. If Nigerian pastors are buying state of the art jets, they are only representing on their own level jare. The money was given freely by their members, so don't complain. Some of the people here posting prolly belong to one Pentecostal church or the other. If you are all truly displeased at the state of affairs, a lot of churches would have closed down a long time ago. Nigerians can be hypocritical sha undecided
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by omo9ja1(m): 1:53pm On May 20, 2011
HOW WOULD YOU FEEL TO READ IN A NEWPAPER THAT OUR SO CALL GREAT MEN OF GOD ARE IN THE CRASH AIRLINE NG1$%£&

THIS MEN HAVE SPIRIT OF DDISCERNMENTAND KNOW THAT ALL OUR AIRLINE ARE PUSH START

IMAGE IF PASTOR DUPE ODUKOYA (RIP MUMMY) OWN A PRIVATE JET THEN WHO KNOWS SHE COULD STILL BE HELPING OUR YOUTH NOW

I KNOW FEW PEOPLE WILL DISAGREE AND AGREE WITH ME.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by kenx1(m): 1:57pm On May 20, 2011
Waoo na wa. All i have to say is give Prophet T.B Josuah a fraction of this money and u will see the positive change he will have in the society especially to the poor and destitute, dis my candid opinion.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by dare2think: 2:13pm On May 20, 2011
omo9ja1:

HOW WOULD YOU FEEL TO READ IN A NEWPAPER THAT OUR SO CALL GREAT MEN OF GOD ARE IN THE CRASH AIRLINE NG1$%£&

THIS MEN HAVE SPIRIT OF DDISCERNMENTAND KNOW THAT ALL OUR AIRLINE ARE PUSH START

IMAGE IF PASTOR DUPE ODUKOYA (RIP MUMMY) OWN A PRIVATE JET THEN WHO KNOWS SHE COULD STILL BE HELPING OUR YOUTH NOW

I KNOW FEW PEOPLE WILL DISAGREE AND AGREE WITH ME.

BEIRUT: The bodies of six victims – including three Lebanese nationals – killed in a[b] plane crash[/b] in northern Iraq were transferred to Beirut over the weekend, as details continued to emerge over the fate of the destroyed private jet.

The Lebanese victims were named as businessman Abdullah Lahoud, from Aamchit, Jbeil, co-pilot Abdullah Yazbeck, from Hawsh al-Rafka, Bekaa and air hostess Stephanie Luca, from Batroun. Yazbeck and Luca were buried Sunday.

Seven people were killed when the[b] private jet[/b] – carrying associates of Iraqi-British businessman Basil Mahdi Rahim from Sulaimaniyah, the capital of Iraq’s autonomous northern Kurdish region, to the Turkish capital Ankara – crashed on Friday night

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Local-News/Feb/07/Bodies-of-Lebanese-killed-in-private-jet-crash-in-Iraq-return-to-Beirut.ashx#ixzz1MtjYBLJ4
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

So, I disagree with you.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by beechwood: 2:15pm On May 20, 2011
MY QUESTION IS THIS, DO THEY EVEN PAY TAX,FOR THOSE (JET) BECAUSE IF THE TAX COLLECTOR ASK THEME TO DO SO THEY WILL NOT EVEN THINKING OF BUY ONE.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by scopusng(m): 2:28pm On May 20, 2011
beechwood:

MY QUESTION IS THIS, DO THEY EVEN PAY TAX,FOR THOSE (JET) BECAUSE IF THE TAX COLLECTOR ASK THEME TO DO SO THEY WILL NOT EVEN THINKING OF BUY ONE.

level of education?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by delagasky(m): 2:28pm On May 20, 2011
Pastor Sam Adeyemi, another cleric and founder of the Daystar Christian center, a flourishing Pentecostal congregation which repeatedly preaches financial prosperity, is also a jet owner.

Jets are not something u can hide under the pulpit!! Pastor Sam doesn't own a Jet!! Only 2 church leaders own jets in Nigeria, Pastor Adeboye and Oyedepo. Adeboye's own was a dash by one of the worshipers in his church, i dont know how Oyedepo came about his own, but like the article said, he owns more than 1
Some1 was asking which source should be believed, forbes or 1 of the respondents here, pls go and visit the blog itself and realise that its not a forbes article but an article posted by some1 who registered a blog name under the forbes website!! why would forbes quote punch newspaper as a source of info for God's sake??!!
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by mystikal(m): 3:05pm On May 20, 2011
Who are these Jets made for then? #justasking
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by delagasky(m): 3:08pm On May 20, 2011
^^ help me ask o
only thieves should ride in jets!!
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by AjanleKoko: 3:18pm On May 20, 2011
mystikal:

Good question.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by seedord247(m): 3:25pm On May 20, 2011
mystikal:

It is meant for pple leaving with HIV
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Sike(m): 3:25pm On May 20, 2011
Real business! Wot am waiting for??
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by oludy: 3:29pm On May 20, 2011
If you have an M Class, E class, etc,  then you are also guilty. Why not buy a small and good enough car and use the rest to help the poor. Better still, why not take local transportation which is cheaper than owning a car rather than acquire a small and good enough car. We are all called to take the gospel to the world starting from your neighborhood.

Having said that, MOGs can justify going out of nigeria to preach the gospel since Jesus left his own town when he was rejected.

But, , honestly, i dunno, they may be justified to having private jets just like we all aspire to have our private cars/homes. Afterall, the guys in the rural areas who have "private" bicycles will wonder why you need a "private car". Just like you are wondering why they need "private" jets.

The guy with a "private" leg,  (lol),

I am neither here or there, but the lesson is we should try to be "simple" (it's a relative word here) in all we do. Whatever "private" stuff you have, please try to reach out to the needy (spiritually and materially) any where you may find yourself. Just try,

Why do i even need a "private" internet access at home. Maybe i should use the "public" cafe and rent a Mac/PC/iPad.

Jesus is not against comfort and ease but the question should be "Do we really need that "private" stuff? Are we really using it for the "purpose"?
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by paulo1234: 3:56pm On May 20, 2011
^^Thanks my brother, time will tell, if not now,latter in eternity
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by GODSON2009(m): 4:07pm On May 20, 2011
oludy:

If you have an M Class, E class, etc,  then you are also guilty. Why not buy a small and good enough car and use the rest to help the poor. Better still, why not take local transportation which is cheaper than owning a car rather than acquire a small and good enough car. We are all called to take the gospel to the world starting from your neighborhood.
no sire that is totally different i might want a better car or cars,our own bishop has fleets of the best cars money can buy he then bought the first PRIVATE jet,then the second then third,then fourth now justify this with me trying to own a better car or upgrading
oludy:

Having said that, MOGs can justify going out of nigeria to preach the gospel since Jesus left his own town when he was rejected.
definitely but not with private jets when he british prime minister doesnt own a private jet.
the pope doesnt own a private jet
warren buffet doesnt own a private jet
amongst others,
no one rejected our MOG and like someone said maybe they should start evangelising n bauchi,katsina,kano kaduna before jetting out to the usa and uk
oludy:

But, , honestly, i dunno, they may be justified to having private jets just like we all aspire to have our private cars/homes. Afterall, the guys in the rural areas who have "private" bicycles will wonder why you need a "private car". Just like you are wondering why they need "private" jets.
private jets not jet is an indulgence and an ostentatious display of wealth by any standard in the whole world for the MOG. for one of the richest man on earth reportedly worth in excess of 62billion and owning a company that manufactures private jets seeing it as a waste of money and unnecessary expense shows it is not justified
oludy:

The guy with a "private" leg,  (lol),

I am neither here or there, but the lesson is we should try to be "simple" (it's a relative word here) in all we do. Whatever "private" stuff you have, [b]please try to reach out to the needy (spiritually and materially) any where you may find yourself. Just try, [/b]
Why do i even need a "private" internet access at home. Maybe i should use the "public" cafe and rent a Mac/PC/iPad.

Jesus is not against comfort and ease but the question should be "Do we really need that "private" stuff? Are we really using it for the "purpose"?
[quote][/quote]
you r now getting the real exence  at the bolded
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by oludy: 4:31pm On May 20, 2011
I have often asked myself too why the need for 4 jets. Then i asked myself, most of us have 2 cars, maybe 3. One for the man, and another for the wife and maybe a third for the kids.

Let's not be quick to castigate them. They may really need it. And they may not. Whatever we say here will not change anything anyway. They will probably never get to read this.

In life, i am learning not to cast the first stone cos we are all "guilty". That's a big lesson Jesus taught us.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by EarsWide(m): 4:40pm On May 20, 2011
@oludy

If Bill Gates suddenly became a pastor and buys 50 jets - I would consider it excessive but it is HIS money and he can do what he chooses with it. It would make more sense for him to help the poor and needy in society (which is what he actually does in the real world).

If on the other hand a pastor who was not rich before starting his church then becomes rich (after tithes and offerings) and then buys a jet - he should be flogged for been wicked. The money in this case is NOT his. If you fall sick with a serious illness in Nigeria and you are poor, you will most likely die. Now with the millions of dollars (tithes and offerings) available to pastors, dont you think they should do things like opening hospitals etc
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by bossinie: 5:04pm On May 20, 2011
@Krixix I suggest that when an issue is not quite clear to you the natural thing to do is seek better understanding rather than jump into hasty conclusions,prior to now i used to think and perhaps judge like anyone of you but with time i realized that since these respected men of God are in God's business as they equally represent His interest here on earth it is better not to judge them unfairly since God whose interest they represent have not judged them.And because God is not flesh and blood he is not prone to emotional sentiments as we are.First where were you or anyone of us when God called these men that we now seek to easily judge and castigate them the pages of NL? Matt.6:33 expressly reveals that when you genuinely serve God with all your heart putting first his will every other thing including planes,jet planes,rockets etc. will be added to you without any hassles.The Almighty God owns the whole universe and he does whatever He like with it giving to anyone He wishes to as they please Him.In Gen.12 God called Abram and by as Abram obeyed that call God honored that obedience to the point that just in chapter 13 Abram became very wealthy. grin
The truth is because most of you have not bothered to to make personal evaluations of these respected men of God,go to these churches and see things for yourself so that when you talk you can personalize your experience and not via hear-say or out of perceived ill-feeling towards them.In the united states we have many pastors who own and have give-away aircrafts as gifts to organisations and ministries(Kenneth copeland has given out over 10 aircrafts,Creflo dollar is another tremendously blessed pastor and many more) So you think the God who enabled them cannot do it for Nigerian pastors too. sad
Besides i believe and practice covenant biblical principles and it works like wonders,before i came in contact with one of the Ministries where one of these pastors preside over in 2004 i was completely immersed in lack & want,poverty was almost my middle-name and i can give you references to those who knew me then.But my brothers today as i continue to practice the word of God and applying myself to covenant biblical principles like tithing,sacrificial offerings etc. I not only preside over a company doing very well in the Oil & Gas sector,i am now married,i will be moving into my own house within a couple of months,i pay other peoples school fees,a blessing to some families and you sit-down in your 'very broke' states and say all sorts instead of finding what these men do that God blesses them and do likewise and come out of joblessness because most of you guys who have posted nearly and over 1,000 posts on NL are truly Jobless without mincing words. smiley
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by bossinie: 5:14pm On May 20, 2011
oludy:

I have often asked myself too why the need for 4 jets. Then i asked myself, most of us have 2 cars, maybe 3. One for the man, and another for the wife and maybe a third for the kids.

Let's not be quick to castigate them. They may really need it. And they may not. Whatever we say here will not change anything anyway. They will probably never get to read this.

In life, i am learning not to cast the first stone cos we are all "guilty". That's a big lesson Jesus taught us.

My broda don't mind most of these persons who because they do not know the secret to a persons wealth and riches become anti-progress and say all sorts.Let them wait when i buy my own jet i will call you guys to celebrate with me while you figure out how i did it.
No member of any of these churches have come out to say they are being fleeced by these respectable men of God in whatever way.As a matter of fact when my spiritual father David Oyedepo bought all these aircrafts no offering or extra giving was called for at anytime,matter of fact it came as a surprise to most of us that aircrafts have been bought and quite frankly many of us asked how come because no individual is given any special seat or preference because of how much he gives in church.We don't even know the capacity of the next man except you knew him from elsewhere.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by Akosbaba(m): 5:18pm On May 20, 2011
forbes is telling us stale mews;we already know the fastest growing ventures in nigeria are preaching and politics
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by bossinie: 5:28pm On May 20, 2011
Koolking:

Everything is fundamentally wrong with this opulence lifestyle of some of our Nigerian pastors. As a pastor, you are called to shepherd the flock , to serve the flock. Giving back to the congregation is not by mere setting up institutions and charge exorbitant fees or in another way round "mainly for the children of the first class citizens". This is wrong.

Even the Vatican city (I mean "city) that has the Pope at the helm of affairs with over 1 million Catholics does not acquire private jet for the pope but chooses to hire Alitalia jet for the Pope's trip.

Why are we this wasteful in this part of the world?

Bros. how many souls have you won for God? The fearful & tearful blessings of God are for those who are about His most treasured business of soul winning.The Almighty God does not waste His blessings on people who don't value His business.Wake-up if you want to know or feel unusual blessings start winning souls for God with a thirst that is fiercely unquenchable then you will experience amazing wonders in life that you did not pray about.That respectable man of God has a truly great heart for God that is why God guards Him jealously and is proud to bless him in a way that men like you love to hate and frankly God does not care.Ps.67:3-7. For your information David was so blessed that no king apart from his son Solomon was as blessed as him and you know the bible describes him as "a man after Gods own heart".
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by HighChief4(m): 6:05pm On May 20, 2011
^^^^ My friend stop spewing rubbish. Catholic church is arguably the biggest church in the world and the Pope still flies Alitalia which is a public flight. What does he need 4 Jets for? Thats black man mentality, even Jesus Christ when he was alive never had His own personal donkey. What is wrong is wrong my man.
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by kindablity(m): 6:09pm On May 20, 2011
i dont get it with u pips dat flog pastors over purchasing xpensive shit, check d log of wood in your eye b4 u see the sawdust in anodas eye, sell ur xpensive fone,go buy a Nokia 3310,den give the balance to that beggar on your street, afta u have don this den u can talk, long hissssssss, HYPOCRITES,
Re: Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Waste $225 Million On Private Jets-- Forbes by dare2think: 6:12pm On May 20, 2011
kindablity:

i dont get it with u pips dat flog pastors over purchasing xpensive poo, check d log of wood in your eye b4 u see the sawdust in anodas eye, sell your xpensive fone,go buy a Nokia 3310,den give the balance to that beggar on your street, afta u have don this den u can talk, long hissssssss, HYPOCRITES,

But do these hypocrites collect tithes and offerings??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Abortion Okay In Protestant Churches? / Prophet Livingston Kwame: If You Marry Jesus Christ And Nag, He Will Dump You / Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.