Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,977 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion (37946 Views)

Data Protection Bureau Fines Soko Loans ₦‎50 Million For Data Breach / Soko Loan Has Finally Defamed Me (pictures) / Sokoloan Set To Shutdown, After Paying ₦10 Million NITDA Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by authority2006(m): 3:38pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

My brother I don't know soko from anywhere, but I'm pretty sure if they take up the case they will win, I see a case of bullying here...

You cannot collect my loan, refuse to pay, and still slam me fine because I'm using every means available to recover my money... Typical case of Nigerians.... They will cry crocodile tears accepting any terms even using Ogun to swear, once they collect the money and squander it, that's all, they lock up.... If you try to recover your money, they slam you fine, beat you up and even use connections to lock you up... We will never grow with this mentality...

I'm very surprised people can come to the defence of a defaulter...

If there is a law guiding your business, you can't use every means available to recover your loan. This is not Banana Republic.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by xpool(m): 3:38pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

Even if it's 100% interest in 2 days, as much as them no force you and you read the terms and agreed to it... My brother they helped your life at your time of need... So do well to honor what you agreed, don't agree, collect the money, spend it and come back with they contacted my contacts...

You talked this way because all your life you have been deprived of a real country with sanity and rules.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by xpool(m): 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2021
authority2006:

If there is a law guiding your business, you can't use every means available to recover your loan. This is not Banana Republic.
Honestly, they dont know the implication of what they do

4 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by true2god: 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:
Anytime you receive such a message, just know someone with your contact unilaterally gave it out without your consent, you should be weary of such people.
I can’t be wary of them but of your crime syndicates you call a loan company. You guys sent SMS to over 50 people concerning one of your customers, who happened to be my colleague’s brother, and this is how it reads:

AAA BBB CCC (his name in mask) 080******* IS A DEFIANT DEBTOR WHO HAS FLEE WITH A LOAN AND NOT REQUITE. NOTIFY HIM NOW TO AVOID PUBLIC EMBARRASSMENT.

Why send this kind of SMS to a person who is not in the know of your business transaction? You guys are lucky to operate in a lawless society.

6 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by xpool(m): 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2021
xpool:

Not really.
We have a problem of understanding CONSTITUTIONALITY.
Irrespective of the your argument that such illegality is in the terms and conditions, it is totally illegal.
Besides, they embarrass not only the customers that took the loan, but also threatening their Innocent contacts, telling them that their names were used as sureties- which is deception.

They dont even tell your contacts that you borrowed money, they tell them that you are a fugitive who stole and ran away with company's money.

And they will continue to charge you for overdue and interest plus the gross violation of your cyber privacy.
Sometimes you repay their loans and they will still go behind withdraw directly from your account without refunding you.
9CREDIT IS NOTORIOUS FOR THIS ILLEGALITY.
9CREDIT STEALS PEOPLE'S MONEY.
9CREDIT INVADES PEOPLE'S PRIVACY
9CREDIT SHOULD BE BANNED
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by optimus106(m): 3:41pm On Aug 19, 2021

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by AuroraB(f): 3:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
Beancounter94:

I am not running down anyone.

I am.just stating hard facts.

If you cannot afford a loan don't take it.

If you don't like the companies don't patronize them

It is that simple.

If you need a loan your friends and the religious organisations are there for you
You took a loan. You had the wherewithal to repay yet you couldn't. If they had gone ahead to send those damning text messages to your contacts, would you be saying this
They dialogued with you and gave you a grace period this Soko loan never gives it's customers. Is that too hard for you to understand

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by xpool(m): 3:45pm On Aug 19, 2021
Beancounter94:

Yes i know. And yes I was in that situation ( I had to quickly borrow money to pay off branch once).

And yes there are also Nigerians who have no intention of paying loans back

Plus if you are not a regular salary earner one should not take the loans.

Let's be honest. Most of the people defaulting are not in changed circumstances. Let's not excuse the bad eggs. If these companies go out of business because people are not paying back on time we won't have any means of taking short term loans.
It is better they go out of business because they are criminals and thugs.
We have been surviving well before their unfortunate birth.
Commercial banks are giving such quick loans now.
We will get rid of you all,

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by airsaylongcome: 3:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

The more reason you should honor your agreement and don't default, once you default you are no longer at vantage point to say what they should do or not do. You can't have my money and still call the shots... What most Nigerians have turned to, they owe you and still shout at you if you call to remind them, soko will remind you, warn you, then boom message your contacts...

I agree with you on the silly Nigerian mindset of borrowing without plans to pay. However should your contacts (some of whom don't know you) be innundated with SMS messages that you owe? Banks have been in the financial business for much longer than these Fintechs. And they don't disturb your contacts about your financial dealings with them

2 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by austinfan4love(m): 3:48pm On Aug 19, 2021
Na so one of these app lending platforms begin message me on WhatsApp,come dey use commanding tone ontop,,,I told them this was unprofessional and they should stop messaging me,,,when they refused,,I blast the person Las las

4 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Oyerinde16(m): 3:49pm On Aug 19, 2021
authority2006:

Stop digressing, do everything within your power not to default, if it becomes inevitable, call ahead to restructure, this will be done and it shows u are responsible, stop defending defaulters who receive notifications and warning ahead of time, they feel you can do your worst until a blast message goes out, then they get into their shell and say u embarrass them because of 2k... That's my point.
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by airex(m): 3:51pm On Aug 19, 2021
Joysticks:
I think before one access their loan he/she might have seen their terms and conditions which is defamation,but the oni gbese will ignore to read it because he/she is desperate to access the loan.
With this comment, I believe both u and ur cohorts deserve to die like chickens...

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by StrictlyStreet: 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
I love doing business with Carbon (Paylater). They are more professional than even mainstream bank.

3 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Obalowe(m): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
My experience with Kaskash!

I borrowed 39k from them sometimes in July, unfortunately I couldn't meet up with the due date for repayment.

They started charging me 2% of the actual loan amount as a penalty, so about a week ago I was able to pay the actual loan taken and left with the 2% extra charge which amount to about 23k. To my greatest surprise, they started charging 2% on the 23k again.

I contacted them why the 2% charge, till date they have not replied me and I have made up my mind not to pay a kobo anymore.

Most people are not criminal as some people are saying here but those online loan companies are really crazy.

4 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Oyerinde16(m): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
xpool:

You talked this way because all your life you have been deprived of a real country with sanity and rules.

If there actually was sanity in the first instance, there are better ways to handle a loan before default. You knew the implications involved in the default, yet you defaulted, but you don't want the repercussions... Nigerians....
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Bayour001: 3:58pm On Aug 19, 2021
Joysticks:
I think before one access their loan he/she might have seen their terms and conditions which is defamation,but the oni gbese will ignore to read it because he/she is desperate to access the loan.
I PRAY WHAT SOME PEOPLE PASS THROUGH DOES NOT HAPPEN TO U

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Jamesz12: 3:58pm On Aug 19, 2021
10 Million is too small, it should be 10 Billion because the level of damages these loan apps carry out on people is unquantifiable. This should serve as lesson to others.
Wicked set of people.
The other day I got a text message about a friend I know very well. They tarnished his image beyond repair,asking me to stay away from him. I quickly replied the text that may God visit them with double with what they are doing to people, I further told them I'm proud to have known him and I will be happy if he takes more loan from them and reck their company down. Useless people

4 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Oyerinde16(m): 4:01pm On Aug 19, 2021
true2god:
I can’t be wary of them but of your crime syndicates you call a loan company. You guys sent SMS to over 50 people concerning one of your customers, who happened to be my colleague’s brother, and this is how it reads:

AAA BBB CCC (his name in mask) 080******* IS A DEFIANT DEBTOR WHO HAS FLEE WITH A LOAN AND NOT REQUITE. NOTIFY HIM NOW TO AVOID PUBLIC EMBARRASSMENT.

Why send this kind of SMS to a person who is not in the know of your business transaction? You guys are lucky to operate in a lawless society.

Did your friends younger brother tell you before hand he was implicating you in a transaction, No I guess, yet he used your contact details without your consent, he still had the nerves to default knowing fully well you might be contacted, he called soko bluffs right, you can't help him to pay as well, and you will not be weary of him (nice) but if a call came from the police station asking if you know AAA, you will be more than glad to go bail him, or a call came from the hospital will you ask them if you were there when he had the accident. Stop being sentimental, you want to chose scenarios... If soko called you AAA has #10m you will not ask if why he put your number....
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

Stop digressing, do everything within your power not to default, if it becomes inevitable, call ahead to restructure, this will be done and it shows u are responsible, stop defending defaulters who receive notifications and warning ahead of time, they feel you can do your worst until a blast message goes out, then they get into their shell and say u embarrass them because of 2k... That's my point.
a loan company should be registered and law abiding, the government has set up procedures for loan recovery, the company should follow it, I think last year or 2 that National assembly passed a bill concerning loan recovery, the laon companies can use BVN of their defaulting customers to get their money from his bank accounts across the country, but not to just take laws in to your hands and do anything within your means.

3 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Hassanmaye(m): 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2021
dudusky007:
Na so them send message give me say make I stay away from 1 mr john..... say na thief,him run with dia money and a criminal. I laf because I no say na dia way.. and to all those giving all this loan app ur bank personal details..your details is no longer personal. that's the reason you can receive unknown debit from unknown location
True
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by adelaja70(m): 4:05pm On Aug 19, 2021
Beancounter94:

Would they have defamed him if he had take the simple precaution of making sure he had the means to pay back the loan as at when due when he was taking the loan in the first place?

Would you allow me if I took a loan of one million naira from you and refused to pay back on the due date?

Would you?
This guy sef.. It's like they are paying you. Didn't you read negotiate in my comment? What's wrong with you man?
You no get brain ni?

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Oyerinde16(m): 4:07pm On Aug 19, 2021
jackslow:
a loan company should be registered and law abiding, the government has set up procedures for loan recovery, the company should follow it, I think last year or 2 that National assembly passed a bill concerning loan recovery, the laon companies can use BVN of their defaulting customers to get their money from his bank accounts across the country, but not to just take laws in to your hands and do anything within your means.

Account that is hungry, is it that acc u want to collect from...
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Hassanmaye(m): 4:08pm On Aug 19, 2021
tamdun:
my wife's phone was stolen and all her money withdrawn, now one migo is calling my sister that one Mrs(my wife) borrowed money from them, those mofo even use one of her contacts as guarantor,the fraudsters just picked one num from her contact list...
They used her simcard to borrow money
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by WowSweetGuy(m): 4:08pm On Aug 19, 2021
thatsleepboy1:
This is very wrong from the agency. I don't and won't support evil.

They should be fined ₦10b for the damages they've done to people.
exactly...so they pack out. 10million is chicken change for them

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by adelaja70(m): 4:10pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

Did your friends younger brother tell you before hand he was implicating you in a transaction, No I guess, yet he used your contact details without your consent, he still had the nerves to default knowing fully well you might be contacted, he called soko bluffs right, you can't help him to pay as well, and you will not be weary of him (nice) but if a call came from the police station asking if you know AAA, you will be more than glad to go bail him, or a call came from the hospital will you ask them if you were there when he had the accident. Stop being sentimental, you want to chose scenarios... If soko called you AAA has #10m you will not ask if why he put your number....
Reason now... 50 contacts as guarantors, is it possible? The loan companies do that on their own without your knowledge..

5 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Heterodox(m): 4:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
Beancounter94:

They do.

Paylater, Branch and Palmcriedit as well as quickcheck all warn you that if you do not pay back your loan on time they will call your contacts on your phone after a certain time.

The fact that the app asks you to have access to your contacts before you can install the thing (and if you say no that is the end of the installation) should clue you that something is up.

That's why it is good to read t and c sometimes. I do. It is available on their site or on the app faq
Bring those terms and conditions here.

2 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by adelaja70(m): 4:14pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

Account that is hungry, is it that acc u want to collect from...
It's possible... One day you go forget and drop money there. The loan companies are scammers too. Go to their page on Google play store and read reviews.

2 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

please is not about sentiment is about is about legality of what your company is doing, the government has set up loan recovery procedures for your company to follow, your company has to follow it, or at most don't do anything illegal to in order to recover your loan it may back fire just like sokoloan.

Secondly the customers does does not give out their contacts unless in some cases where they request for 2 or 3 family numbers, in that case they may contact those people, even that case the the loan company can not defend it in the court, because of you're giving somebody loan because of me then you have to inform me, not just to call me when he has defaulted.

Finally play store does not allow apps that give loans of less than 30days, apart from Africa where the laws are not working you can't give out 7days loan.

5 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Hassanmaye(m): 4:21pm On Aug 19, 2021
tamdun:
my wife's phone was stolen and all her money withdrawn, now one migo is calling my sister that one Mrs(my wife) borrowed money from them, those mofo even use one of her contacts as guarantor,the fraudsters just picked one num from her contact list...
I'm still wondering How account can be wiped when you lost your phone, is that the banks, loan apps, or other e-commerce website don't ask for real password or what? Or there is a they by pass it.

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by tamdun: 4:21pm On Aug 19, 2021
Abfinest007:
lies .how did they get her atm card to link it up
The used her sim card, u never hear of ussd code ni
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Hassanmaye(m): 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
dgagar:
Stupid People. Collect #5000 and repay #8000 in 7days.
Oleeeeeeee
Blood of Zachariah!!! are you serious

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by authority2006(m): 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
Oyerinde16:

No one is defending defaulters. But from what I have been reading here before, those guys don't reason with the defaulters at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Obi Cubana, His Wife & Children In Adorable Christmas Photos / How Do I Retrieve Money I Borrowed My Crush? / Kano Currency Exchange Market In 1964

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.