Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,135 members, 7,821,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Why Should I Be An Atheist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Should I Be An Atheist? (10762 Views)

Should I Be Worried Seeing Dead People In My Dreams / My Father Has A Bat In His Wardrobe: Should I Be Worried? / Should I Be Worried About This Black Cat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by kingxsamz(m): 8:03pm On Aug 23, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Let me tell you of an experience i had a while ago.

One night after i had my bath i lay down on my bed to sleep.

The lights were off and i was the only one in the room.

After lying down for about 10 minutes or so something happened... something i can never forget.

All of the sudden from out of nowhere i felt somebody rub my shoulder (in the same way a lover would rub your shoulder... romantically)

I screamed and jumped out of my bed.. and when i turned on the torch to look i saw that there was nobody there.

But till this day i am convinced that somebody touched me that day... i can never forget and have never forgotten.

Ever since that day i have been aware of the fact that we are not alone on this earth... there are people with us that we just can't see with our natural eyes... real people... invisible people

What do you have to say about this my experience?

There are many explanations to what you might have felt that day. You think it's what you think it's because your mind is already engrossed in such beliefs. If the so called spirit or ghost was serious, it'll not only rub your shoulder, it'll drag you out of your bed. You might have been dreaming sef, who knows.
There are no spirits, ghosts or whatever. Infact I don't get why humans are more scared of these imaginary beings. Your fellow human can do worse to you than what you think some ghost or spirit would do. Like you said, the lights were off and it was late at night. Nothing spiritual about it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Image123(m): 8:27pm On Aug 23, 2021
kingxsamz:

Try to find out what?
Spirits, ghosts, witches, gods? Wide spread rumors?
Do you believe in fairies, unicorns, leprechauns, elfs and flying deers? If no, have you tried to find out these things for yourself? (based on your logic).
One can't be looking for what's not there. Let the ones who claim these things exists prove it.
Check my old posts back in 2017, I used to insult atheists, now I'm one. I hated how their truth hurts. The fact that you're asking questions already shows you're having doubts about your beliefs.

Lol, i have been asking questions since i was six as far back as i remember. Stop foolishly thinking that only fools ask questions.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Image123(m): 8:31pm On Aug 23, 2021
kingxsamz:

Humans are literally bags of meat in the universe. No one has the power to do anything. You can't outsmart or break the laws of the universe. You can't make money appear out of thin air, you can't fly from one place to another without the help of modern technology which enables you to fly. You can't disappear, you can't die and come back to life, no matter the amount of women's underwear and menstrual pads you steal, money cannot fall from the sky because of you. You can't do anything extraordinary. Anything you do can be explained logically. Humans are smaller than a spec of dust in the universe, what makes you think they have the power to break the laws of the universe? There's no God/gods, there are no witches, spirits, ghosts, unicorns or whatever bullcrap one might think of. These are just human ideas.

You can live without sin, you can live a life of peace that passes understanding, you can live with unspeakable unexplainable joy through it all, you can achieve more than you ever thought you could with faith, hope and love. i have lived by faith and still live by faith, i know the difference between me and my equals who did not make the same decision. A man with an experience is not at the mercies of the boy with an argument, whose brain and memory has been devoured by the devourer that he cannot remember.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by kingxsamz(m): 8:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
Image123:

You can live without sin, you can live a life of peace that passes understanding, you can live with unspeakable unexplainable joy through it all, you can achieve more than you ever thought you could with faith, hope and love. i have lived by faith and still live by faith, i know the difference between me and my equals who did not make the same decision. A man with an experience is not at the mercies of the boy with an argument, whose brain and memory has been devoured by the devourer that he cannot remember.

Eyah, I'm happy for you. cheesy
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Hismasterpiece(m): 9:14pm On Aug 23, 2021
kingxsamz:

There are many explanations to what you might have felt that day. You think it's what you think it's because your mind is already engrossed in such beliefs. If the so called spirit or ghost was serious, it'll not only rub your shoulder, it'll drag you out of your bed. You might have been dreaming sef, who knows.
There are no spirits, ghosts or whatever. Infact I don't get why humans are more scared of these imaginary beings. Your fellow human can do worse to you than what you think some ghost or spirit would do. Like you said, the lights were off and it was late at night. Nothing spiritual about it.

when this experience happened to me i wasn't a christian
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Image123(m): 9:15pm On Aug 23, 2021
kingxsamz:

Eyah, I'm happy for you. cheesy

Spare me your happiness, you need it for your sad life that is only happy in bits of masturbation, games and material things. Learn and drum it into your thick skull that children of God are different and live quality lives, not just quantity.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Image123(m): 9:15pm On Aug 23, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy e shock am gaaaan. cheesy
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 9:27pm On Aug 23, 2021
FreeIgboho:
hopefulLandlord and kingxsamz, how do you explain the following?:

it's kinda hard explaining the happening behind an event of another which is impossible to investigate and one which I wasn't involved in

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by kingxsamz(m): 9:51pm On Aug 23, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Like I said, such 'experience' is too mild to start attributing it to mystical figures.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by kingxsamz(m): 9:58pm On Aug 23, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Don't you think they would have stopped ages ago if what they're doing doesn't work?

The fact that this practice has continued for centuries doesn't that tell you something?

Go to Lord's Chosen church and you'll see hundreds of poor folks praying, drenched in their tears, hoping for a better life. And they've been there for more than 12years, attending same church and repeating same actions. The muslims are still going to Saudi Arabia to stone the devil. My point is once you're too invested in such beliefs, it'd be hard escaping from such. Besides, I don't think those who are harvesting body parts are really sacrificing it. There are many reasons they could be harvesting body parts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Image123(m): 10:35pm On Aug 23, 2021
kingxsamz:

Go to Lord's Chosen church and you'll see hundreds of poor folks praying, drenched in their tears, hoping for a better life. And they've been there for more than 12years, attending same church and repeating same actions. The muslims are still going to Saudi Arabia to stone the devil. My point is once you're too invested in such beliefs, it'd be hard escaping from such. Besides, I don't think those who are harvesting body parts are really sacrificing it. There are many reasons they could be harvesting body parts.

Rubbish. Does atheism spare people from abject and shameful penury? We know avowed atheists on this forum that are beggars on this same forum. Make sense please.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Image123(m): 10:37pm On Aug 23, 2021
kingxsamz:

Like I said, such 'experience' is too mild to start attributing it to mystical figures.

How convenient to sit in your bedroom and give comic adjectives to other people's experiences.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 1:27am On Aug 24, 2021
hopefulLandlord:

it's kinda hard explaining the happening behind an event of another which is impossible to investigate and one which I wasn't involved in

These are things investigated and documented by previously skeptical EXPERTS.
How many events have you been involved in or investigated? You accept all the following on the words of others: covid vaccine, black holes, earth is round and revolves around the sun, history, moon landing, stars are HUGE, quantum theory, E=MC², etc
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 1:36am On Aug 24, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

do you have anymore stuff like that to post.. if so kindly post.. hopefulLandlord answer him na

They are all over the place.
I know one thing for certain: humans do not understand, and are incapable of understanding the true nature of reality, nor do they know a millionth of what is to be known about reality and the universe.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 6:46am On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

These are things investigated and documented by previously skeptical EXPERTS.
and what did these "previously skeptical EXPERTS" concluded? did all sceptics admit those events are definitely spiritual or only those that admitted it are the ones being talked about while those who still weren't convinced are ignored? I'm assuming it's the latter

How many events have you been involved in or investigated? You accept all the following on the words of others: covid vaccine, black holes, earth is round and revolves around the sun, history, moon landing, stars are HUGE, quantum theory, E=MC², etc

This is where it gets interesting. I will not accept any spiritual explanation for any event I can't explain. this is the sensible thing to do and history supports sceptics like me as physical explanations have been replacing spiritual explanations throughout history. better still ask yourself how many times in history has a physical explanation replaced a spiritual one? go on your own research then research on how many times a spiritual explanation replaced a physical one. check your result against each other with no bias and make your own conclusion

5 Likes

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 7:29am On Aug 24, 2021
blahc007:

The existence of God shouldn't be argued with theory...
It should be more of practical...and it has been more of practicals.
God exist, spirits exist, demons exist...
But they interfare with the affairs of men when they are invited, knowingly or ignorantly.

you are not making sense.

How can I practically measure the existence of spirits?
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 7:33am On Aug 24, 2021
Becoming an atheist frees your from mental slavery.
I am mentally free from stuffs like
1. Village people.
2. Hell or heaven.
3. Threat of curse
4. Scams from pastors.

I also see clearer from a practical point of view without bias. I am free from cognitive dissonance. I laugh when people talk about spiritual things as there are no evidence to measure their existence.

Atheism makes you a mentally free person, not a lot of people have the courage to become atheist.

There are other huge benefits

2 Likes

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by kimduhan2: 8:19am On Aug 24, 2021
guys, I belive in ultimate power of desires and law of attraction. Person work and chaise own dream. I think you can read some materiala about it on manifestrich and found something intereting. The journey of manifestation begins when one decides that it is about time to get what they want, and they are willing to learn about how to do it.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by blahc007: 8:32am On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
you are not making sense.

How can I practically measure the existence of spirits?
You don't start learning by showing you know already...ask humbly

To the question...
Spirits acts...though you can't see them, but you know them by there actions.
I have witnessed the supernatural happen...no be say Dem say...that's why I said God's existence is no longer theoritical, it's very practical bro...
So is the existence of other spirits...
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 12:56pm On Aug 24, 2021
hopefulLandlord:
and
1)
what did these "previously skeptical EXPERTS" concluded? did all sceptics admit those events are definitely spiritual or only those that admitted it are the ones being talked about while those who still weren't convinced are ignored? I'm assuming it's the latter

2)
This is where it gets interesting. I will not accept any spiritual explanation for any event I can't explain. this is the sensible thing to do and history supports sceptics like me as physical explanations have been replacing spiritual explanations throughout history. better still ask yourself how many times in history has a physical explanation replaced a spiritual one? go on your own research then research on how many times a spiritual explanation replaced a physical one. check your result against each other with no bias and make your own conclusion

1) You obviously did not read my sceenshot. They concluded there is more to us than just our physical bodies. There is no field that all experts agree

2) I never asked you to accept anything. You are the one saying definitely there is no supernatural. I said previously we don't know, and have no way of knowing the true nature of reality, and that we likely don't know up to a millionth of what there is to know
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 1:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
1. Village people.
2. Hell or heaven.
3. Threat of curse
4. Scams from pastors.

I also see clearer from a practical point of view without bias. I am free from cognitive dissonance. I laugh when people talk about spiritual things as there are no evidence to measure their existence.

Atheism makes you a mentally free person, not a lot of people have the courage to become atheist.

But becoming an atheist, though comforting, makes u a close minded person. It takes away the most Important and most fundamental stetement: "I may be wrong".
As I wrote above: We don't know, and have no way of knowing the true nature of reality. And what we know is likely not up to a millionth of what there is to know
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Hismasterpiece(m): 1:09pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
1. Village people.
2. Hell or heaven.
3. Threat of curse
4. Scams from pastors.

when you atheists say evidence what do you mean?
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

1) You obviously did not read my sceenshot. They concluded there is more to us than just our physical bodies. There is no field that all experts agree.
You didn't read mine. "some" experts agreed with there being some realm we can't see due to some unexplained happening. I'm saying we just can't explain it. that's the truth. anything else like "spiritual" claims is pure guessing that has no proof

2) I never asked you to accept anything. You are the one saying definitely there is no supernatural. I said previously we don't know, and have no way of knowing the true nature of reality, and that we likely don't know up to a millionth of what there is to know
Nope, I said there's no proof for the existence of supernatural. More often than not whenever a so-called supernatural claim is made and then scrutinized we realise there's physical explanation behind it.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by triplechoice(m): 2:49pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
1. Village people.
2. Hell or heaven.
3. Threat of curse
4. Scams from pastors.

You're sounding like a religious person or still think like one.

You cannot claim to be mentally free when you're dogmatically invested in a particular ideology .

The atheistic position is an ideology of its own and it has its limitations.. It is not a perfect position.

Atheist have their own worries too. We know they are prone to depression. That is not to say the religious are not . Everyone is. But for the Atheist, when it happens, it usually end in suicide or a life of continual dependence on antidepressants to maintain sanity. The figures are out there if you want to confirm.

It is not common for the deeply religious to have this problem. They rely on an external agency (imaginary or not) which has been demonstrated to provide psychological relief more better than any antidepressants .

Believing in a god in times of trouble can
provide psychological relief and help to remove from one's mind the weight of the burden worries place on it.

Please don't misled people by making promises which are not tenable so they can join your "religion" .It is why I already said you still think like a religious person. Understand first , what you're into before asking others to join you.

Concerning scamming by pastors, everyone can be scammed. Religious people are not the only ones that can be scammed. We can easily see others being scammed and mock them and not when we ourselves are being scammed.

A scammer takes advantage of your ignorance to scam you and you, yourself ,are ignorant of so many things .So you're still susceptible.

And again,non of us can act or think completely free of bias. As long as you hold on to a particular viewpoint, you cannot help it. Your biases would reveal itself, at some point, without you realising it. So don't boast.

Finally, atheism is not synonymous with courage. There are courageous religious people who "courageously" defend their faith.

Most people
becoming atheist these days, are yet to fully understand the atheistic position and what it entails. The allure of personal freedom is what is pushing most into it. Which is a good thing.

But freedom comes with certain responsibility. Are you ready?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by A001: 3:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
1. Village people.
2. Hell or heaven.
3. Threat of curse
4. Scams from pastors.

How do you handle depression as an atheist, especially during the times of illness/sickness, financial struggle, and when living alone at such times?
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Hismasterpiece(m): 3:19pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
1. Village people.
2. Hell or heaven.
3. Threat of curse
4. Scams from pastors.

All the things you said are synonymous with Christianity.. Are you personally opposed to Christianity alone or spirituality in general?
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 3:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

All the things you said are synonymous with Christianity.. Are you personally opposed to Christianity alone or spirituality in general?
you are scared of a sky lord watching whatever you do. He prepared a Hell for you if you don’t love him or do wherever he says, that’s mental slavery.

I don’t think such person exist
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 3:31pm On Aug 24, 2021
A001:

How do you handle depression as an atheist, especially during the times of illness/sickness, financial struggle, and when living alone at such times?
I am aware of the the fact that life is all about permutations and combinations. I have realized that it’s impossible for everyone to feel good at any point in time.
I take the good side of the principle of Darwinism to look at life and handle situations. I learn to adapt to whatever environment I find myself knowing fully well that if I don’t, I will die.
I take a cue form nature, whether or not I like it, nature does it’s thing and because I am a cautious being I have the ability to cheat nature a bit in my favour and then I go for it. I don’t ascribe my hard times to a spiritual being.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 3:34pm On Aug 24, 2021
triplechoice:

You're sounding like a religious person or still think like one.

You cannot claim to be mentally free when you're dogmatically invested in a particular ideology .

The atheistic position is an ideology of its own and it has its limitations.. It is not a perfect position.

Atheist have their own worries too. We know they are prone to depression. That is not to say the religious are not . Everyone is. But for the Atheist, when it happens, it usually end in suicide or a life of continual dependence on antidepressants to maintain sanity. The figures are out there if you want to confirm.

It is not common for the deeply religious to have this problem. They rely on an external agency (imaginary or not) which has been demonstrated to provide psychological relief more better than any antidepressants .

Believing in a god in times of trouble can
provide psychological relief and help to remove from one's mind the weight of the burden worries place on it.

Please don't misled people by making promises which are not tenable so they can join your "religion" .It is why I already said you still think like a religious person. Understand first , what you're into before asking others to join you.

Concerning scamming by pastors, everyone can be scammed. Religious people are not the only ones that can be scammed. We can easily see others being scammed and mock them and not when we ourselves are being scammed.

A scammer takes advantage of your ignorance to scam you and you, yourself ,are ignorant of so many things .So you're still susceptible.

And again,non of us can act or think completely free of bias. As long as you hold on to a particular viewpoint, you cannot help it. Your biases would reveal itself, at some point, without you realising it. So don't boast.

Finally, atheism is not synonymous with courage. There are courageous religious people who "courageously" defend their faith.

Most people
becoming atheist these days, are yet to fully understand the atheistic position and what it entails. The allure of personal freedom is what is pushing most into it. Which is a good thing.

But freedom comes with certain responsibility. Are you ready?

its okay if you redefine stuffs to justify your improbable opinions.

Atheism is fueled by lack of evidence that a god exist. Provide a testable evidence and I will change my mind.

Dogmatism is the act of holding onto unsubstantiated beliefs even in the light of evidence against it. That’s what you do and every other religious person.

If it doesn’t have evidence and cannot be proven, I can never believe it. I will change my mind if I see testable evidence sir.

3 Likes

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 3:41pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

when you atheists say evidence what do you mean?

Evidence has a universal definition. Religious people twerk it because they don’t seem to have any of it for their claim.

Evidence has to be testable and repeatable, anywhere and anytime under a controlled condition. Miracles are not evidence, they cannot produce repeatable results at any given time and anywhere. A lot of probabilities, lies, exaggerations and bias are attached to it. Such premises cannot be trusted.

Your god cannot be tested and that’s why we have several gods, everyone come up with whatever they like. Even within the Christendom, we have conflicting ideologies in doctrines. None of you guys seem to have a specific method to test whatever you claim and everyone just want to be right.

Outside of Christianity, no religion want to provide a generally accepted method to test their god. Testing it to provide reproduce-able results. Everyone just say whatever makes them happy and most times it conflicts.

This is why I am an atheist, I trust repeatable results than infallible claims that can’t be tested. You will likely make mistake if you always do not test whatever you believe multiple times under a controlled condition to see if it really works or it’s just probabilities.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 3:47pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

But becoming an atheist, though comforting, makes u a close minded person. It takes away the most Important and most fundamental stetement: "I may be wrong".
As I wrote above: We don't know, and have no way of knowing the true nature of reality. And what we know is likely not up to a millionth of what there is to know
I am not close minded.
If you provide a testable evidence for any god, I will change my mind.
People become atheist because religion never gives evidence for whatever they say.

It is religion that is close minded and dogmatic not atheism. It takes a lot of courage to drop whatever you have indoctrinated with form birth, dogmatic people rarely do that.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2021
blahc007:

You don't start learning by showing you know already...ask humbly

To the question...
Spirits acts...though you can't see them, but you know them by there actions.
I have witnessed the supernatural happen...no be say Dem say...that's why I said God's existence is no longer theoritical, it's very practical bro...
So is the existence of other spirits...
If you have witnessed the supernatural happen, why can’t you apply to win the bounties for anyone that can provide evidence for any paranormal activity?

It’s been there for ages and no one has been able to win any of them. I can share some of the links with you if you care, it would make you a multimillionaire in dollars.

Don’t you think you are just making them up in your head?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! / When We Die! / Can First Fruit Offering Get God's Reward,if Given To A Biological Father?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.