Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,876 members, 7,821,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Why Should I Be An Atheist? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Should I Be An Atheist? (10755 Views)

Should I Be Worried Seeing Dead People In My Dreams / My Father Has A Bat In His Wardrobe: Should I Be Worried? / Should I Be Worried About This Black Cat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 3:52pm On Aug 24, 2021
hopefulLandlord:
You didn't read mine. "some" experts agreed with there being some realm we can't see due to some unexplained happening. I'm saying we just can't explain it. that's the truth. anything else like "spiritual" claims is pure guessing that has no proof
Nope, I said there's no proof for the existence of supernatural. More often than not whenever a so-called supernatural claim is made and then scrutinized we realise there's physical explanation behind it.

Bros, if you start with the premise that we don't know, and have no way of knowing the true nature of reality (which is the only reasonable place to start), then ANYTHING is possible. Nothing can be known for certain - everything is based on preponderance of evidence. So, you are being mischievous selectively asking for absolute proof only when it concerns "spiritual", when there is no absolute proof for anything. Even things we were sure of have been proved wrong. Until quantum mechanics we thought the LAWS of physics always applied. Even "I think therefore I am" that was sacrosanct for millenia has been proved to be wrong!
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 3:58pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

Bros, if you start with the premise that we don't know, and have no way of knowing the true nature of reality (which is the only reasonable place to start), then ANYTHING is possible. Nothing can be known for certain - everything is based on preponderance of evidence. So, you are being mischievous selectively asking for absolute proof only when it concerns "spiritual", when there is no absolute proof for anything. Even things we were sure of have been proved wrong. Until quantum mechanics we thought the LAWS of physics always applied. Even "I think therefore I am" that was sacrosanct for millenia has been proved to be wrong!
your argument is fallacious, it’s called a Tu quoque fallacy, because a lot of stuffs hasn’t been proven doesn’t not mean spirituality is correct. There’s no invention in science and technology today that is not a product of a proven scientific law or theory.
Religion hasn’t proven anything in regard to spirituality. You can’t disprove what hasn’t been proven.

A lot of thing have been proven and that why stuffs work. Your internet connection cannot work is electromagnetic spectrum hasn’t been proven. You can’t even make phone if various scientific theories and laws have not been proven, stop being economical with the truth and just accept that you have to provide evidence for your claim.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 3:58pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
I am not close minded.
If you provide a testable evidence for any god, I will change my mind.
People become atheist because religion never gives evidence for whatever they say.

It is religion that is close minded and dogmatic not atheism. It takes a lot of courage to drop whatever you have indoctrinated with form birth, dogmatic people rarely do that.

Bros nobody knows enough to be an atheist. Infact you know almost NOTHING. At least religionists say they BELIEVE, they don't say they logically know. Here's what I wrote above:

If you start with the premise that we don't know, and have no way of knowing, the true nature of reality (which is the only reasonable place to start), then ANYTHING is possible. Nothing can be known for certain - everything is based on preponderance of evidence. So, you are being mischievous selectively asking for absolute proof only when it concerns "spiritual", when there is no absolute proof for anything. Even things we were sure of have been proved wrong. Until quantum mechanics we thought the LAWS of physics always applied. Even "I think therefore I am" that was sacrosanct for millenia has been proved to be wrong!
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:01pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
If you have witnessed the supernatural happen, why can’t you apply to win the bounties for anyone that can provide evidence for any paranormal activity?

It’s been there for ages and no one has been able to win any of them. I can share some of the links with you if you care, it would make you a multimillionaire in dollars.

Don’t you think you are just making them up in your head?

When I say you people suffer thinking problems?

Is A Witness of an Affair, the doer of it?

Can a witness who saw a crime being committed, cause the players of the crime to repeat same?
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by A001: 4:02pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
I am aware of the the fact that life is all about permutations and combinations. I have realized that it’s impossible for everyone to feel good at any point in time.
I take the good side of the principle of Darwinism to look at life and handle situations. I learn to adapt to whatever environment I find myself knowing fully well that if I don’t, I will die.
I take a cue form nature, whether or not I like it, nature does it’s thing and because I am a cautious being I have the ability to cheat nature a bit in my favour and then I go for it. I don’t ascribe my hard times to a spiritual being.
Well said. Also, one of the most effective ways to fight depression is to be social.

I think that helps a lot. From personal experience, I know that being a loner worsens depression.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:03pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

Bros nobody knows enough to be an atheist. Infact you know almost NOTHING. At least religionists say they BELIEVE, they don't say they logically know. Here's what I wrote above:

If you start with the premise that we don't know, and have no way of knowing, the true nature of reality (which is the only reasonable place to start), then ANYTHING is possible. Nothing can be known for certain - everything is based on preponderance of evidence. So, you are being mischievous selectively asking for absolute proof only when it concerns "spiritual", when there is no absolute proof for anything. Even things we were sure of have been proved wrong. Until quantum mechanics we thought the LAWS of physics always applied. Even "I think therefore I am" that was sacrosanct for millenia has been proved to be wrong!
Atheism is not a disbelieve in the existence of god, it’s a act of belief that gods dont exist because religious people haven’t provided evidence and are trying to fill every gap with their gods. If you provide evidence then I will change my mind.

No one also knows enough to be sure that god exist. Every religion only tries to create unquestionable answers for the questions. It’s better to have question that cannot be answered that provide answers that cannot be questioned like religion does.

We don’t know so don’t fill the gap with god. Wait until we find out. I am an atheist because there’s no evidence that it exist, if I see one I will change my mind immediately.

I see that you don’t understand quantum physics else I don’t see how quantum physics has disobeyed laws of physics. You need to read up abit on how quantum physics works.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2021
A001:

Well said. Also, one of the most effective ways to fight depression is to be social.

I think that helps a lot. From personal experience, I know that being a loner worsens depression.
Well, I have always been a loner. I am use to being a loner though I spend a lot of time watching science documentaries and reading scientific articles.
That’s helps me get rid of depression.

I also follow several religious platforms on social media to study how they reason.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by triplechoice(m): 4:10pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
its okay if you redefine stuffs to justify your improbable opinions.

Atheism is fueled by lack of evidence that a god exist. Provide a testable evidence and I will change my mind.

Dogmatism is the act of holding onto unsubstantiated beliefs even in the light of evidence against it. That’s what you do and every other religious person.

If it doesn’t have evidence and cannot be proven, I can never believe it. I will change my mind if I see testable evidence sir.

You're mistaken .I don't subscribe to any religion or is certain about the existence of any God or gods

My previous reply was not to argue the existence of any God. Please provide any evidence if you think I did.

I am not interested in such arguments. I only wanted to let you see that you're presenting atheism has a panacea for all of live problems so that people can get involved or subscribe to it.

The same strategy employed by certain religious groups to get converts is the same you're using and I think it is deception when you lie to people so they join your group.

Atheist are regarded as honest people who try to tell it as it is .
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:11pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
I am not close minded.
If you provide a testable evidence for any god, I will change my mind.
People become atheist because religion never gives evidence for whatever they say.

People become atheist because they want God to do what they want but they do not want to do what God wants.

Infact they do what God Hates therefore, they know that He must be very Angry with them.

Therefore, they are running away thinking that they can escape His Anger.

Workch:

It is religion that is close minded and dogmatic not atheism. It takes a lot of courage to drop whatever you have indoctrinated with form birth, dogmatic people rarely do that.

It is always Anti-God who need to be closed minded, which is funny enough why many Faketians, who thought that they were Christians are the ones who fall, because of their "open mind".

So it is you fallen ones who need to close their minds because if you don't and when you don't, the Fear of the Anger of God would flood in and drive you insane with great pain such that it may make you kill yourselves.

So it is you people who need closed minds!
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
triplechoice:

You're mistaken .I don't subscribe to any religion or is certain about the existence of any God or gods

My previous reply was not to argue the existence of any God. Please provide any evidence if you think I did.

I am not interested in such arguments. I only wanted to let you see that you're presenting atheism has a panacea for all of live problems so that people can get involved or subscribe to it.

The same strategy employed by certain religious groups to get converts is the same you're using and I think it is deception when you lie to people so they join your group.

I didn’t present atheism as a panacea for all life problems, you misconstrued my stance.
There’s never a time when atheism is going the only solution to the global problems. I only mentioned advantages of being an atheist over theism.

I think you shouldn’t have replied my post in a haste.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Olayoo: 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

People become atheist because they want God to do what they want but they do not want to do what God wants.

Infact they do what God Hates therefore, they know that He must be very Angry with them.

Therefore, they are running away thinking that they can escape His Anger.

It is always Anti-God who need to be closed minded, which is funny enough why many Faketians, who thought that they were Christians are the ones who fall, because of their "open mind".

So it is you fallen ones who need to close their minds because if you don't and when you don't, the Fear of the Anger of God would flood in and drive you insane with great pain such that it may make you kill yourselves.

So it is you people who need closed minds!

Dude...I don't understand what you are saying.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by A001: 4:20pm On Aug 24, 2021
triplechoice:

Your position looks agnostic.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 4:21pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
your argument is fallacious, it’s called a Tu quoque fallacy, because a lot of stuffs hasn’t been proven doesn’t not mean spirituality is correct. There’s no invention in science and technology today that is not a product of a proven scientific law or theory.
Religion hasn’t proven anything in regard to spirituality. You can’t disprove what hasn’t been proven.

A lot of thing have been proven and that why stuffs work. Your internet connection cannot work is electromagnetic spectrum hasn’t been proven. You can’t even make phone if various scientific theories and laws have not been proven, stop being economical with the truth and just accept that you have to provide evidence for your claim.

My bros u have it mixed up. Consistency of result is not proof. Just as your waking up everyday does not prove that you exist. Once you accept that you have no way of knowing anything for sure then. "proof" is ridiculous. Explain the below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVhiwceUpk8
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:23pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
Evidence has a universal definition. Religious people twerk it because they don’t seem to have any of it for their claim.

Evidence has to be testable and repeatable, anywhere and anytime under a controlled condition. Miracles are not evidence, they cannot produce repeatable results at any given time and anywhere. A lot of probabilities, lies, exaggerations and bias are attached to it. Such premises cannot be trusted.

Your god cannot be tested and that’s why we have several gods, everyone come up with whatever they like. Even within the Christendom, we have conflicting ideologies in doctrines. None of you guys seem to have a specific method to test whatever you claim and everyone just want to be right.

Outside of Christianity, no religion want to provide a generally accepted method to test their god. Testing it to provide reproduce-able results. Everyone just say whatever makes them happy and most times it conflicts.

This is why I am an atheist, I trust repeatable results than infallible claims that can’t be tested. You will likely make mistake if you always do not test whatever you believe multiple times under a controlled condition to see if it really works or it’s just probabilities.

Isn't existence evidence enough?

When you see the stars, the moon, the sky, creation in general doesn't common sense tell you that it is somebody that put all those things there?

Have you ever seen anything that wasn't created? Buildings don't build themselves. Cars don't make themselves. Using that same logic this world didn't make itself. And thus the evidence for a creator.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:23pm On Aug 24, 2021
Olayoo:

Dude...I don't understand what you are saying.

Oh, boy another one?

What English are they teaching in schools that people are able to write in English but can not read English writings?

No wonder there is an increase in jamb failures!
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:25pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

When you see the stars, the moon, the sky, creation in general doesn't common sense tell you that it is somebody that put all those things there?

They need to imagine that those things made themselves, exactly as the mannequin thinks it made itself.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:28pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

existence is the evidence that my parents mates and fertilization occurred without the interference of a god.

Human existence is attached to the evidence that we evolved from preexisting organisms, no evidence that a god was involved.

The stars are evidence that molecules can coalesce in space at tremendous gravity to start nuclear fusion reactions, it has been studied and no one saw a god involved.

Everyone always think their opinion is common sense that’s why Christianity has thousands of doctrines and contradicts each other. Only testable evidence reveals the true sense.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

My bros u have it mixed up. Consistency of result is not proof. Just as your waking up everyday does not prove that you exist. Once you accept that you have no way of knowing anything for sure then. "proof" is ridiculous. Explain the below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVhiwceUpk8
Proof is mathematical

Consistency of result means it’s reliable.

No result at all like spirituality means it’s can’t be trusted. Provide one line of consistent result then see me change my mind
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 4:30pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
Atheism is not a disbelieve in the existence of god, it’s a act of belief that gods dont exist because religious people haven’t provided evidence and are trying to fill every gap with their gods. If you provide evidence then I will change my mind.

No one also knows enough to be sure that god exist. Every religion only tries to create unquestionable answers for the questions. It’s better to have question that cannot be answered that provide answers that cannot be questioned like religion does.

We don’t know so don’t fill the gap with god. Wait until we find out. I am an atheist because there’s no evidence that it exist, if I see one I will change my mind immediately.

I see that you don’t understand quantum physics else I don’t see how quantum physics has disobeyed laws of physics. You need to read up abit on how quantum physics works.

My friend, but you haven't provided evidence that God doesn't exist either. You should say "I don't know" and stop there. You have just been shown that NOTHING can be proven to exist including you yourself yet u r still arguing
As for quantum physics, see below

Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:31pm On Aug 24, 2021
A001:

Depression is one of the disease that proves you are an enemy of God.

For God is The Owner of Joy and Happiness and one of things that MUST GO AWAY when He turns away from you, is that your former joy will be replaced by emptiness and sorrow.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:32pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

My friend, but you haven't provided evidence that God doesn't exist either. You should say "I don't know" and stop there. You have just been shown that NOTHING can be proven to exist including you yourself yet u r still arguing
You have shallow knowledge of what you are talking about.

What law of physics was disobeyed?

Learn to read stuffs through and don’t believe whatever you read online. It makes you gullible.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:33pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

Tel me the law of physics that was disobeyed.

Let’s see how knowledgeable you are about this topic and even it it disobeyed it. In science we accept new evidence, whether or not we like.

If it disobeyed so what’s the problem with that? We follow the new evidence and discard whatever we knew.

Learn to do that
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:36pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:

Learn to read stuffs through and don’t believe whatever you read online. It makes you gullible.

But you yourself believe what you read online!
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 4:36pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
Proof is mathematical

Consistency of result means it’s reliable.

No result at all like spirituality means it’s can’t be trusted. Provide one line of consistent result then see me change my mind

So spirituality is no result at all? How about all these people testifying everyday about miracles and how their lives were tandformed? Explain placebo effect, Mr. Proof
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:37pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

So spirituality is no result at all? How about all these people testifying everyday about miracles and how their lives were tandformed? Explain placebo effect, Mr. Proof
So why haven’t they proven it’s consistency by allow people to test it. Those are claims that hasn’t been tested and hence can’t be called evidence
just go and win one of the multimillion dollar bounties?
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by FreeIgboho: 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
Tel me the law of physics that was disobeyed.

Let’s see how knowledgeable you are about this topic and even it it disobeyed it. In science we accept new evidence, whether or not we like.

If it disobeyed so what’s the problem with that? We follow the new evidence and discard whatever we knew.

Learn to do that

That's the point, we have no way of knowing the true nature of reality, so you can't go about saying God does not exist. YOU DON'T KNOW!!
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
existence is the evidence that my parents mates and fertilization occurred without the interference of a god.

Human existence is attached to the evidence that we evolved from preexisting organisms, no evidence that a god was involved.

The stars are evidence that molecules can coalesce in space at tremendous gravity to start nuclear fusion reactions, it has been studied and no one saw a god involved.

Everyone always think their opinion is common sense that’s why Christianity has thousands of doctrines and contradicts each other. Only testable evidence reveals the true sense.

You know that the evolution theory is just that... A THEORY.

It has never been proven and never can be proven.

Lemme ask you a question. Since humans evolved from monkeys why do monkeys still exist? If humans evolved why haven't we evolved further?

I sure would like to evolve from being 6ft to being 20ft.. I sure would like to evolve from being mortal to being immortal..

Why hasn't evolution happened since the purported original evolution?

You know in the book written by Charles Darwin after talking about the evolution theory he spends the last chapters of the book doubting his own insinuations right?

So please answer my question.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:42pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:

... Says the atheist that got his worldvirw from the internet..
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:42pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

You know that the evolution theory is just that... A THEORY.

It has never been proven and never can be proven.

Lemme ask you a question. Since humans evolved from monkeys why do monkeys still exist? If humans evolved why haven't we evolved further?

I sure would like to evolve from being 6ft to being 20ft.. I sure would like to evolve from being mortal to being immortal..

Why hasn't evolution happened since the purported original evolution?

You know in the book written by Charles Darwin after talking about the evolution theory he spends the last chapters of the book doubting his own insinuations right?

So please answer my question.
I have a masters in biochemistry, you want to teach me theory of evolution?
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:43pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

... Says the atheist that got his worldvirw from the internet..
SOrry, my worldview is because you didn’t provide evidence.

I am sorry, we have to test it before we accept it.
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:44pm On Aug 24, 2021
Workch:
I have a masters in biochemistry, you want to teach me theory of evolution?

Ogbeni answer my question jare
Re: Why Should I Be An Atheist? by Workch: 4:45pm On Aug 24, 2021
FreeIgboho:

That's the point, we have no way of knowing the true nature of reality, so you can't go about saying God does not exist. YOU DON'T KNOW!!
How do you think I don’t know the true nature of reality when even every illiterate in villages have the default setting of accepting god?

People in the hinterland who don’t even know basic biology think like you that gods exist. I think you should check you definition if reality

Kids who can’t even think for themselves think gods exist. How is that reality?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

What's The Meaning Of " They That Wait Upon The Lord Shall Renew Their Strength" / If Allah Is God, Why Does He Pray For Muhammad? Surah 33:43, 33:56, And 2:157? / Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.