Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,947 members, 7,810,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (321) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169469 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) (324) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 2:27pm On Mar 15, 2022
BorisJohnson:

They have made a decision. TLS haven't sent an email. Its way way past the expected date. I went to a UK post office (where they would normally have sent the BRP). The BRP has been sent. It means the visa has been granted. BUT the passport has not been returned. no email from tls.

Ok, brilliant so. I am guessing the application was meant for your spouse? From experience she/he would need to go to the TLS branch where she/he had her/his biometrics done.

As long as you have left 15 working days in between when they told you a decision was made.

So if a decision was made on the 15th of February then you need to wait for 15 working days to go to the TLS branch and ask them to look through their stuffs for the passport.

You would be lucky if you get an email from TLS or any changes on their tracking system. So I would say get your spouse to go to the TLS Branch. Am sure the passport is waiting there for them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by twizzie: 2:28pm On Mar 15, 2022
BorisJohnson:

They have made a decision. TLS haven't sent an email. Its way way past the expected date. I went to a UK post office (where they would normally have sent the BRP). The BRP has been sent. It means the visa has been granted. BUT the passport has not been returned. no email from tls.
Best to contact TLS Abuja so you can track the passport. I have read stories where they lost people's passport and they kept saying they had not received it from UKVI.

Good thing is you know decision has been made and you have gotten confirmation that the passport has likely been returned to them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by twizzie: 2:36pm On Mar 15, 2022
Endlessgrace:
Anyone who recently had biometrics at Nigerian High Commission in February, please have you received your passport?
Yes, I captured on the 5th of February and I received my passport last week, I did not pay priority fee.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SPDAZZY(f): 2:42pm On Mar 15, 2022
deleson:
Please, I need to exchange Pounds to Naira.

Who’s available with a good rate?

Still available?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Specialtee: 2:51pm On Mar 15, 2022
Hello everyone. Please does anyone know if you are allowed to bring in your mobile phone, wallet and keys to the US embassy in London?

I don't have a car and I'm wondering where to keep all these items if it is like their embassy in Nigeria.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 2:54pm On Mar 15, 2022
twizzie:

Yes, I captured on the 5th of February and I received my passport last week, I did not pay priority fee.

Congrats, which TLS branch did you have your done? My wife had her biometrics done on the 28th of January for a settlement Visa, standard appt at Ikeja.

Told it would take 60 working days, but we email them today, had a no decision yet, and might take longer due to the Ukrainian applying for UK visa lol. My wife is inpatient.

But I have told her settlement visas takes longer than others.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 2:57pm On Mar 15, 2022
twizzie:

Sorry I thought you were referring to applying for a visa, didn’t know you were referring to obtaining a passport, please ignore my previous post to you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 3:10pm On Mar 15, 2022
Ray7878:

I don’t think so, the person said mentioned Abuja in their previous post. That’s why I am confused right now.

The Nigerian high commission only deals with Nigerian Visas and passports.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 3:14pm On Mar 15, 2022
Rubyventures:

The Nigerian high commission only deals with Nigerian Visas and passports.

Thank you, only learning more about Nigeria recently, hence why am on here, so am glad to be learning from everyone here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 3:24pm On Mar 15, 2022
gistbite:

How far, you still need naira? I have.

Yes, naira still needed. What's your rate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hardbars: 3:42pm On Mar 15, 2022
How do I watch all football games (UCL, EPL, etc) - Basically make my own equivalent of the Nigerian DSTV subscription here in London?

Presently, I have NowTV which i use on my personal Macbook. It is basically SkySports and my viewing experience has been a solid 8/10 (i.e when they show the games). The video latency is very low (which is quite good; lag is 60 seconds max), and the video quality is crisp.
The issue is because of tv regulations here in the UK, and the resulting rationing of airtime between various sports channels, I can't see many games on Sky/NowTV. I have tried to augment with Amazon Prime and that barely shows any games that are not on Sky, so no much benefit there.

I'd like to pay money to one single outlet/company and watch all the games I need to see (similar to how DSTV works).
If that is not possible, I'd like to bypass DstvNow's geographical block and use it from London. (I still pay for my DSTV back in Nigeria). I have tried to do this by connecting to a paid Nigerian VPN server. This doesn't work. My guess is they use cached location info provided by the browser/hardware? Anyways, while I still investigate how to bypass this hurdle, DSTV still reigns supreme as my most preferred option because I can pay once and be sure the game is going to be aired.
On the other hand, I could look for the minimum number of companies/networks to watch the maximum number of games.
The least preferred option is to watch on public streaming sites. The issue with those is that the commentary is not guaranteed to be English, and the quality is pretty low with a very high latency and terrible lag.

How do you folks watch all football games here in London?

I need to watch UCL this evening.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 3:42pm On Mar 15, 2022
obitryce:

Yes, naira still needed. What's your rate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 3:53pm On Mar 15, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The dependant sure ...yes offcourse... as long as it not the student applicant .

But to get ILR they count your days and it has to be 5 years. Children are not subjected to absence so even if they are not here, they get their ILR when the main applicant does .

Concerning this sir/ma, someone said years of studying are not counted towards ILR , if this is true as the main applicant or dependant what can be done to get ILR , then if no company is ready to sponsor what also can be done. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wongwe: 3:55pm On Mar 15, 2022
boghetto:
Good evening house,
Please I need a 20hr student job in Middlesbrough. I’ve done care training and I’ve been waiting for shifts with my agency forever. I am open to warehouse and any part time jobs. Please

Get in touch with these contacts

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2022
hardbars:
How do I watch all football games (UCL, EPL, etc) - Basically make my own equivalent of the Nigerian DSTV subscription here in London?

If money is not a problem, you could get Virgin Media’s sport bundle (with Sky Sports and BT Sport). Domestic matches (EPL, EFL and the Cups) are mainly aired on Sky Sports (a few are on BT - mainly the Saturday lunchtime fixtures) while European games (UCL, UEL, UECL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, etc) are exclusive to BT Sport and are all in HD - you could choose between HD and SD for Sky Sports. The bundle also takes care of your broadband needs, landline, SIM contract, cable tv, etc. However, it is not cheap!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hardbars: 4:09pm On Mar 15, 2022
icon8:

If money is not a problem, you could get Virgin Media’s sport bundle (with Sky Sports and BT Sport). Domestic matches (EPL, EFL and the Cups) are mainly aired on Sky Sports (a few are on BT - mainly the Saturday lunchtime fixtures) while European games (UCL, UEL, UECL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, etc) are exclusive to BT Sport and are all in HD - you could choose between HD and SD for Sky Sports. The bundle also takes care of your broadband needs, landline, SIM contract, cable tv, etc. However, it is not cheap!

I have checked the pricing. £85pm is fair since there are the other add-ons. I however don't need these add-ons. From what you said, it sounds like BT and SKY is all I need. I'd figure out how to pay for just BT without getting into a contract with Virgin.
Thanks for your reply.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 4:17pm On Mar 15, 2022
hardbars:

I have checked the pricing. £85pm is fair since there are the other add-ons. I however don't need these add-ons. From what you said, it sounds like BT and SKY is all I need. I'd figure out how to pay for just BT without getting into a contract with Virgin.
Thanks for your reply.

You are welcome. The bundle I just described is over £100pcm (maybe £85 on time-limited promo) and is the one-stop shop that I could think of. Getting BT Sport alone will not give you access to domestic matches unless your intention is to keep the Sky football on NOW, which I think is only available on mobile devices rather than on the telly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:19pm On Mar 15, 2022
BorisJohnson:

See?

Scotland is not as rosy as many have been made to believe. Aunty Nicola is too obsessed with secession. And it amazes me that a lot os Scots don't think deeper about the nonsense that the SNP keeps dishing out about independence.

Seen.
Scotland is not necessarily "rosy", but it gets more public funds from the UK government than England and Wales per head, so it and NI have proportionally more money to play with than England, which is the financier of the UK.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 4:56pm On Mar 15, 2022
gistbite:

Send me a DM please..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:01pm On Mar 15, 2022
hardbars:

Thanks for your reply.
Be aware that not all premier league matches are shown on TV in the UK. Legally, most 3pm matches on Saturday are not to be broadcast live. So you may find that even with all your subscription, you may not be able to watch some of the matches of your favourite team, depending on the kick-off time.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 5:10pm On Mar 15, 2022
dustydee:

Be aware that not all premier league matches are shown on TV in the UK. Legally, most 3pm matches on Saturday are not to be broadcast live. So you may find that even with all your subscription, you may not be able to watch some of the matches of your favourite team, depending on the kick-off time.

Good point! All, not most. All 3pm league matches on Saturday are not allowed to be broadcast live on tv in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by twizzie: 5:15pm On Mar 15, 2022
smiley[quote author=Ray7878 post=111060378]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:22pm On Mar 15, 2022
icon8:

Good point! All, not most. All 3pm league matches on Saturday are not allowed to be broadcast live on tv in the UK.
Thank you. I thought it was allowed on special days like boxing day and new year.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hardbars: 5:27pm On Mar 15, 2022
dustydee:

Yeah I know about the 3pm blackout. I have known about it since even before I moved to the UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 5:31pm On Mar 15, 2022
obitryce:

Send me a DM please..
Contact me on Whatsapp please 07060875130. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ukliving: 5:33pm On Mar 15, 2022
Good day all,
Hope you are all well

I was advised to create an account and state my issue.
My husband is a student in the UK studying Data science and I'm spouse dependent. We also have kids.
My dilemma is that I was offered two jobs in care. One will offer sponsorship and the other won't. The one with sponsorship is in England and we are in Glasgow scotland.
The one that won't offer sponsorship are in Glasgow and are on the sponsor list. I checked but they are still claiming that they can't offer sponsorship. I don't want to go to England because the job is domiciliary care which means driving and driving for hours and only getting paid for time spent with clients. Which means I may never get to see my children who are still very young.
I just feel 5 years is a long time to be miserable and unhappy because of trying to get ILR
A friend advised me to take the non sponsorship one and try to convince them and secondly, to keep looking for another job with sponsorship in Scotland.
Our visa will expire in January 2023.
I'm really confused on what to do. Am I being crazy for even thinking of not taking the job with sponsorship? I really need wise advice. Thank you in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hardbars: 5:33pm On Mar 15, 2022
icon8:

You are welcome. The bundle I just described is over £100pcm (maybe £85 on time-limited promo) and is the one-stop shop that I could think of. Getting BT Sport alone will not give you access to domestic matches unless your intention is to keep the Sky football on NOW, which I think is only available on mobile devices rather than on the telly.

NowTV is not just on Mobile. It is also available on Mac&PC. For TV heads, there is also the stick dongle.
For now, I plan to combine BTs monthly pass and Now -Sky. This should incentivize me to bypass DSTVs geolocation restrictions.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 5:37pm On Mar 15, 2022
Ukliving:
Good day all,
Hope you are all well

My husband is a student in the UK studying Data science and I'm spouse dependent. We also have kids.
My dilemma is that I was offered two jobs in care. One will offer sponsorship and the other won't. The one with sponsorship is in England and we are in Glasgow scotland.
The one that won't offer sponsorship are in Glasgow and are on the sponsor list. I checked but they are still claiming that they can't offer sponsorship. I don't want to go to England because the job is domiciliary care which means driving and driving for hours and only getting paid for time spent with clients. Which means I may never get to see my children who are still very young.
I just feel 5 years is a long time to be miserable and unhappy because of trying to get ILR
A friend advised me to take the non sponsorship one and try to convince them and secondly, to keep looking for another job with sponsorship in Scotland.
I'm really confused on what to do. Am I being crazy for even thinking of not taking the job with sponsorship? I really need wise advice. Thank you in advance
No you are not crazy.

There must be a balance between career and family. If you lose on the family end, it just never pays.
Take the one that allows you time with family. You can get them to sponsor or you can look for another sponsor...them go plenty especially after you get some experience.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:40pm On Mar 15, 2022
icon8:

Some of us do, in our living rooms or bedrooms...... Depending on how we feel .......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 5:40pm On Mar 15, 2022
Ukliving:
Good day all,
Hope you are all well

Babe, please take the sponsorship job and switch your husband to a dependent visa that way he can choose to go to school online or even defer and work anywhere.
See the end goal is ILR. I'm also in this same situation and if I get that opportunity I'm moving.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:43pm On Mar 15, 2022
hardbars:

Presently, I have NowTV which i use on my personal Macbook. It is basically SkySports and my viewing experience has been a solid 8/10 (i.e when they show the games). The video latency is very low (which is quite good; lag is 60 seconds max), and the video quality is crisp.
The issue is because of tv regulations here in the UK, and the resulting rationing of airtime between various sports channels, I can't see many games on Sky/NowTV. I have tried to augment with Amazon Prime and that barely shows any games that are not on Sky, so no much benefit there.

I'd like to pay money to one single outlet/company and watch all the games I need to see (similar to how DSTV works).
If that is not possible, I'd like to bypass DstvNow's geographical block and use it from London. (I still pay for my DSTV back in Nigeria). I have tried to do this by connecting to a paid Nigerian VPN server. This doesn't work. My guess is they use cached location info provided by the browser/hardware? Anyways, while I still investigate how to bypass this hurdle, DSTV still reigns supreme as my most preferred option because I can pay once and be sure the game is going to be aired.
On the other hand, I could look for the minimum number of companies/networks to watch the maximum number of games.
The least preferred option is to watch on public streaming sites. The issue with those is that the commentary is not guaranteed to be English, and the quality is pretty low with a very high latency and terrible lag.

Read back a few pages . ....... This topic was already discussed at length, with solutions.......... wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Endlessgrace: 5:57pm On Mar 15, 2022
Ray7878:

You mean at Ikeja TLS? For which sort of visa?

Sorry, i meant passport renewal at nigeria high commission in London

(1) (2) (3) ... (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) (324) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.