Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176632 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bujebudanu1(m): 8:13am On Oct 08, 2021
Lexusgs430:
Wetin bujebudanu1, dey find for this thread . ........ grin

My Oga, I hail o ...... smiley

Boss mi
I dey oo
How your side

As US do me strong things twice early this year so I don shift my goal post to UK. I dey open every UK threads to read and see as e dey be

Atas for UK wan dey drag me again, all docs completed and submitted for cas but atas still never show

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Schoolhike: 8:22am On Oct 08, 2021
solalal36:
Please I need urgent response

For guys going to Scotland, is CTM the only test kit provider? It's the only one mentioned on govdotscot. I want to know if I can book with private providers?

I bought from Randox Health for my wife.(98£)

Bought it on Tuesday evening and she received it yesterday, she arrived uk on Wednesday
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nafitari: 9:02am On Oct 08, 2021
Hello fam

Apologies if this question has already been answered. I'm moving in a few weeks to the UK and wondering how to move funds from here. I don't have a UK bank account and it will certainly be a hassle to make such a transfer from Nigeria to the UK if I wait until I arrive. Has anyone done this in the past?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeoyek: 9:14am On Oct 08, 2021
Good day everyone, I would like to know the best school to choose between the University of Broadford and Northumbria University. The key factors I am considering are University ranking, prospects after graduation, the ease of getting student jobs, living cost and the cost of accommodation. I need your guidance and advise.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:27am On Oct 08, 2021
nafitari:
Hello fam

Apologies if this question has already been answered. I'm moving in a few weeks to the UK and wondering how to move funds from here. I don't have a UK bank account and it will certainly be a hassle to make such a transfer from Nigeria to the UK if I wait until I arrive. Has anyone done this in the past?

Get someone you trust, move funds to their account...... And receive monies on arrival........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:29am On Oct 08, 2021
bujebudanu1:

Boss mi
I dey oo
How your side

As US do me strong things twice early this year so I don shift my goal post to UK. I dey open every UK threads to read and see as e dey be

Atas for UK wan dey drag me again, all docs completed and submitted for cas but atas still never show

Something must be a miss......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:40am On Oct 08, 2021
opeoyek:
Good day everyone, I would like to know the best school to choose between the University of Broadford and Northumbria University. The key factors I am considering are University ranking, prospects after graduation, the ease of getting student jobs, living cost and the cost of accommodation. I need your guidance and advise.

Bradford Alum here so I support my Uni please! The town is diverse and not too expensive. When you’re done you can move to Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield or anywhere the spirit leads.

As per ranking it depends on your course. But their school of Management/ Business School, Peace & Conflict resolution and I think Nursing is highly ranked.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 10:07am On Oct 08, 2021
Lexusgs430:

She got no £ for you ........ Only ₦ ........ grin
Perhaps, can you help me out please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:10am On Oct 08, 2021
solalal36:

Perhaps, can you help me out please

Slide into my WA......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 10:17am On Oct 08, 2021
Schoolhike:

I bought from Randox Health for my wife.(98£)

Bought it on Tuesday evening and she received it yesterday, she arrived uk on Wednesday
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:21am On Oct 08, 2021
Damilolly:
services after one is a citizen is very cheap. Renewing your British passport is £75.
Renewing a Nigerian Passport in Nigeria is cheaper than £75.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeoyek: 10:46am On Oct 08, 2021
Thank you for your response.
Mamatukwas:

Bradford Alum here so I support my Uni please! The town is diverse and not too expensive. When you’re done you can move to Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield or anywhere the spirit leads.

As per ranking it depends on your course. But their school of Management/ Business School, Peace & Conflict resolution and I think Nursing is highly ranked.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 3:48pm On Oct 08, 2021
I'm a first time traveller. I just watched a YouTube video where the youtuber had a stop over at Doha (flight is Lagos to London). At Doha, she boarded a train to her next departure point at the same airport. The question is Do I pay for the train or it's free?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maxicon(m): 4:52pm On Oct 08, 2021
Ticha:

Lived there for a long time and it's our UK base. Needing help?

Hi, I would be moving to Bristol by month end. Any advice on how to go about getting an accommodation there and which area of bristol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 5:53pm On Oct 08, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kukujajaja: 6:34pm On Oct 08, 2021
The ATAS people are not trying at all. Now that September intake are almost resumed, I don't really understand what's actually causing their delay in issuing. Let keep hope alive!
bujebudanu1:

Boss mi
I dey oo
How your side

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:52pm On Oct 08, 2021
solalal36:
I'm a first time traveller. I just watched a YouTube video where the youtuber had a stop over at Doha (flight is Lagos to London). At Doha, she boarded a train to her next departure point at the same airport. The question is Do I pay for the train or it's free?

No its free
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 8:37pm On Oct 08, 2021
justwise:
[/b]
No its free
Ooh. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bujebudanu1(m): 8:49pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kukujajaja:
The ATAS people are not trying at all. Now that September intake are almost resumed, I don't really understand what's actually causing their delay in issuing. Let keep hope alive!

Bad thing is you cant contact them, like atas people, like American call centre like zenithbank customer care,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ModelLook(m): 9:02pm On Oct 08, 2021
All of you that are in the UK, I greet you all from Nigeria. How is life in the UK? Okay now. I have some questions for you.

For those that are working and schooling, how are you coping with the two?

What is the possibility of completing your Tution Fees after paying initial deposit here in Nigeria especially if you are going for a two year master degree with placememts?

Note that initial deposit is just for the first year and it's like between 2k-3k GBP.

For example, your schools fees is let's say 12,000 GBP each for two years.
And you have to still pay rent, maintenance, transport and upkeep included.

What kind of job can a student do to be able to handle this.

Is it the same 20hr job of 10 GBP per hour that will cater for this. Can it really?
(I have done my research on partime job pay)

Is this possible?

I don tire cry

Abeg UK Nigerians, I need ur input here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 11:10pm On Oct 08, 2021
ModelLook:
All of you that are in the UK, I greet you all from Nigeria. How is life in the UK? Okay now. I have some questions for you.

For those that are working and schooling, how are you coping with the two?

What is the possibility of completing your Tution Fees after paying initial deposit here in Nigeria especially if you are going for a two year master degree with placememts?

Note that initial deposit is just for the first year and it's like between 2k-3k GBP.

For example, your schools fees is let's say 12,000 GBP each for two years.
And you have to still pay rent, maintenance, transport and upkeep included.

What kind of job can a student do to be able to handle this.

Is it the same 20hr job of 10 GBP per hour that will cater for this. Can it really?
(I have done my research on partime job pay)

Is this possible?

I don tire cry

Abeg UK Nigerians, I need ur input here.

It’s difficult, but could be easier if you have a spouse doing full time job that would help with the fees. Just avoid having kids during the two years. So, maybe it’s time to marry grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Odingo1: 12:49am On Oct 09, 2021
solalal36:
You won’t pay, those services are provided free of charge at every international airport.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunajia: 1:27am On Oct 09, 2021
This thread reminds me of my time in the UK - studying full-time and working as a porter in Lang Stracht just to survive. I worked from Fridays to Sundays because there were no classes on Fridays. Although the restaurant I worked with offered more hours, I had to stick to the 20 hours PW term time quota because I was dead scared of flouting the visa rule and ending up in Lagos. I knew so many guys who did 40 hours PW and nothing happened to them, but mahn, I was a good lad grin To balance my account, I worked hyper during the holiday periods.

At the minimum, I earned 600 GBP PM, my rent in a single room shared apartment was around 210 GBP PM, living expenses was low because I always had food from work and I lived with a wonderful Nigerian lady who worked part-time as a chef. In all, I worked as a porter, a ticketing agent in a club, cashier, service at events and as a kitchen hand.

For me, it was back breaking work but it helped pay the remainder of my tuition, my monthly rent and bills, the money I sent home and the land I bought in Lagos. And against all odds, I still graduated with a first and with the class prize.

The story still plenty cheesy Shout outs to ABZ!

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ebonybiuty: 5:40am On Oct 09, 2021
Good day everyone, a big thanks to those who steadily and readily provide info here(especially for newbies like us). In the previous page, I saw someone mention the 5 year route of ILR, pls can a dependant also be a beneficiary? My hubby is the one schooling while I work. If I get a good job, can they sponsor my work visa? Or is it only the main applicant that can do this ‘5 year route thingy’… Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:45am On Oct 09, 2021
Ebonybiuty:
Good day everyone, a big thanks to those who steadily and readily provide info here(especially for newbies like us). In the previous page, I saw someone mention the 5 year route of ILR, pls can a dependant also be a beneficiary? My hubby is the one schooling while I work. If I get a good job, can they sponsor my work visa? Or is it only the main applicant that can do this ‘5 year route thingy’… Thanks

Any of you can be on sponsored visa. Its actually wise for both couple to actively look during their time as a student so whichever one gets it becomes the main applicant

You are both each other support system.... and if the 5 years not possible, you both can plan how to go about 10 years rotating each other. Its perfectly legally if you choose to go that route

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ebonybiuty: 5:56am On Oct 09, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Any of you can be on sponsored visa. Its actually wise for both couple to actively look during their time as a student so whichever one gets it becomes the main applicant

You are both each other support system.... and if the 5 years not possible, you both can plan how to go about 10 years rotating each other. Its perfectly legally if you choose to go that route

Thank you so much for your prompt response. This has actually been giving me sleepless nights, I thought it’s just hubby that can get sponsored, since he’s the one schooling.
Thing is, I have quite a number of qualifications (ICAN,ACCA,Msc and almost done with CFA too ) and I’m eyeing some top Audit firms where my friends work in UK…So I thought since I’m just a dependant, I might not get a sponsored job

Thanks once again

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:53am On Oct 09, 2021
seunajia:
This thread reminds me of my time in the UK - studying full-time and working as a porter in Lang Stracht just to survive. I worked from Fridays to Sundays because there were no classes on Fridays. Although the restaurant I worked with offered more hours, I had to stick to the 20 hours PW term time quota because I was dead scared of flouting the visa rule and ending up in Lagos. I knew so many guys who did 40 hours PW and nothing happened to them, but mahn, I was a good lad grin To balance my account, I worked hyper during the holiday periods.

At the minimum, I earned 600 GBP PM, my rent in a single room shared apartment was around 210 GBP PM, living expenses was low because I always had food from work and I lived with a wonderful Nigerian lady who worked part-time as a chef. In all, I worked as a porter, a ticketing agent in a club, cashier, service at events and as a kitchen hand.

For me, it was back breaking work but it helped pay the remainder of my tuition, my monthly rent and bills, the money I sent home and the land I bought in Lagos. And against all odds, I still graduated with a first and with the class prize.

Nostalgia Nostalgia Nostalgia.......... Some people might think, at that time, either you had dementia or possibly demented, to undertake all those roles, whilst studying.......... grin

The meaning of the game was, survival of the fittest.......... smiley

Not what I am today, BUT what would I become tomorrow.......... cheesy

My first rent was £25 per week (shared a two bedroom flat in stratford).......... grin

I was young and very innocent ....... wink

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 6:58am On Oct 09, 2021
Ebonybiuty:

Thank you so much for your prompt response. This has actually been giving me sleepless nights, I thought it’s just hubby that can get sponsored, since he’s the one schooling.
Thing is, I have quite a number of qualifications (ICAN,ACCA,Msc and almost done with CFA too ) and I’m eyeing some top Audit firms where my friends work in UK…So I thought since I’m just a dependant, I might not get a sponsored job

Thanks once again
Good to hear about this certifications you have. It’s faster to get a job if you have upto three years Big4 experience or any other professional service firm experience. I am sure your friends can refer you to one of them.
All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 7:12am On Oct 09, 2021
Odingo1:

You won’t pay, those services are provided free of charge at every international airport.
Thanks. I get it now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 7:21am On Oct 09, 2021
Ogbaba123:
Please is there any one currently in Scotland, preferably around Stirling.

I am trying to get a 1 bedroom apartment for a couple.

Hello I study at Stirling living in Edinburgh, I may not be able to help but can definitely refer and advise.

Send me an email on mbachuzara@gmail.com

We also have a group so people can help.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 7:45am On Oct 09, 2021
seunajia:

Monthly rent at 210. That's really good. And I'm looking for rent at 300 and still can't find
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 7:47am On Oct 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Nostalgia Nostalgia Nostalgia.......... Some people might think, at that time, either you had dementia or possibly demented, to undertake all those roles, whilst studying.......... grin

The meaning of the game was, survival of the fittest.......... smiley

Not what I am today, BUT what would I become tomorrow.......... cheesy

My first rent was £25 per week (shared a two bedroom flat in stratford).......... grin

I was young and very innocent ....... wink
£25 per week. Wow

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.