Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176623 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2021
mrcodebreaker:

Looking for working class friends based in bristol.

Ah we're currently out of the UK. We do still have friends there but our closest 9ja friend moved to Gloucester
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 3:10pm On Oct 09, 2021
AirBay:

Scene 1
Spouse 1 : MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2 Years

Spouse 1 : PhD 4 years

Total : Minimum 7years

Spouse 2: MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2 years

Total 10years = ILR

Scene 2.

Spouse 1 : MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2years

Spouse 2: MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2 years

Spouse 1 can hustle for TIER 2 during study and hope to get one before Spouse 2 PSW comes to an end.

If TIER 2 doesn't show up, Proceed to PhD.
Can a PHD student get a PSW after getting the first PSW with the MSC route
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 3:21pm On Oct 09, 2021
jtech17:

No

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 3:28pm On Oct 09, 2021
tshoboy:

It’s difficult, but could be easier if you have a spouse doing full time job that would help with the fees. Just avoid having kids during the two years. So, maybe it’s time to marry grin
this is scary though as me sef never marry o no spouse to rotate with... people like us now will do MSC or 2yrs, PSW 2yrs, PHD 3 or 4yrs, everything= 7 or 8 years and what next....d next 2 years go hard gaan... chai!!! Shey person come dis life to come go school ....

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by steadyMoving22: 3:40pm On Oct 09, 2021
`
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 4:12pm On Oct 09, 2021
jtech17:

this is scary though as me sef never marry o no spouse to rotate with... people like us now will do MSC or 2yrs, PSW 2yrs, PHD 3 or 4yrs, everything= 7 or 8 years and what next....d next 2 years go hard gaan... chai!!! Shey person come dis life to come go school ....
GOD OF SPONSORED JOB, PLEASE COME TO OUR RESCUE WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kemifaj: 4:15pm On Oct 09, 2021
Good evening my people in the UK.
I contacted someone who advertised an apartment for rent in Facebook and below is the response I got. Please is this genuine or na scam format.

Thank you for your email.
You can rent my flat from tomorrow, for an indefinite period. The price per month is GBP600 bills included (gas, water, electricity, TV, parking and council tax).
Because I'm out of the city with work, I have a solution so you can move in as quickly as possible. I do not have the time to meet any potential tenants, so I choose Airbnb. I use the Airbnb service at the beginning to find a tenant.
So you can visit and rent the flat, I use the www.airbnb.com/trust platform. Airbnb offers an online platform that connects hosts who rent accommodation with guests who wish to rent such accommodation.
The Airbnb company requires payment of the first 2 months + a deposit of GBP600. This is requested at the beginning of the lease and refunded at the end of the contract (if 30 days notice is given). After these first 2 months, you transfer the monthly rent directly to my personal bank account.
You must book the first two months through the website. Once your booking is confirmed, the Airbnb representative will contact you to arrange the appointment and you can move in immediately.
The meeting will take place in the flat and he will give you the keys and sign the contract for the period of your choice (we will conclude a fixed rental agreement under British law from 2 months up to 10 years).
If at that point you are not happy with the property, no contract will be signed and you will be fully refunded the very same day.
All other details about you are welcome. I would like to rent the flat for someone who takes care of it.
I have invested a lot in this flat and I am sure you will love it.

I think that's it for the moment, I hope I did not forget anything.

Sincerely,
Lora Mayar!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pauloot(m): 4:32pm On Oct 09, 2021
Can I get PSW after a top up degree of a year? Before proceeding for Masters?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by poshemmanuel(m): 4:36pm On Oct 09, 2021

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 5:05pm On Oct 09, 2021
jtech17:

No

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:09pm On Oct 09, 2021

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 5:22pm On Oct 09, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 09, 2021
Kemifaj:
I contacted someone who advertised an apartment for rent in Facebook and below is the response I got. Please is this genuine or na scam format.

You can rent my flat from tomorrow, for an indefinite period. The price per month is GBP600 bills included (gas, water, electricity, TV, parking and council tax).
Because I'm out of the city with work, I have a solution so you can move in as quickly as possible. I do not have the time to meet any potential tenants, so I choose Airbnb. I use the Airbnb service at the beginning to find a tenant.
So you can visit and rent the flat, I use the www.airbnb.com/trust platform. Airbnb offers an online platform that connects hosts who rent accommodation with guests who wish to rent such accommodation.
The Airbnb company requires payment of the first 2 months + a deposit of GBP600. This is requested at the beginning of the lease and refunded at the end of the contract (if 30 days notice is given). After these first 2 months, you transfer the monthly rent directly to my personal bank account.
You must book the first two months through the website. Once your booking is confirmed, the Airbnb representative will contact you to arrange the appointment and you can move in immediately.
The meeting will take place in the flat and he will give you the keys and sign the contract for the period of your choice (we will conclude a fixed rental agreement under British law from 2 months up to 10 years).
If at that point you are not happy with the property, no contract will be signed and you will be fully refunded the very same day.
All other details about you are welcome. I would like to rent the flat for someone who takes care of it.

Sincerely,
Lora Mayar!

Please this is scam…..pure scam.
They are alot on Facebook… nd i am sure the price of the property was advertised lower than market rate loool.
Please run

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 5:47pm On Oct 09, 2021
AirBay:

Jobs on this list still need Tier 2 sponsor right?
Yeah, but I think their visa cost are cheaper.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:22pm On Oct 09, 2021
Kemifaj:

Sincerely,
Lora Mayar!

We have warned about scammers, prowling potential tenants......

But play along, tell Lora Mayar you are happy to pay by credit card or cash.........

Don't pay through a link the supposed landlord gives you, tell them you would pay directly through Airbnb....

Or give me the link, make i follow the scammer play .... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ModelLook(m): 6:51pm On Oct 09, 2021
dupyshoo:
It is not easy to work and pay for that amount of money considering you are allowed to do only 20hrs per week except during the holiday. Even people with full time job struggleto save that amount per year.

In addition, applying for graduate jobs is like full time job if you are determined to get a job. Most people that get good jobs are usually students that have time to apply.

There is also the likelihood that you will not be able to work for the first few weeks/month as you will still be adjusting.

It is better you have your tuition and only hustle for living expenses, if at all you have to

Wow. Thanks. I agree with all you have said. Having money set aside for Tution before coming over is the option here inorder to reduce stress on the student.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ModelLook(m): 7:01pm On Oct 09, 2021
justwise:

Looking at the scenario you stated i will suggest that you think long and hard before coming to the UK.

To be able to pay remaining tuition fees , rent, bills and feeding you need to be making about £1500 a month at least

Minimum wage is £8.91 ph and not £10 as you stated though some companies pay £10.

I suggest you come with your fees and maintenance money for the first one year then take your time to work and raise money for second year

Your suggestion is good. I think I need to come with my complete Tuition Fees.

Minimum wage is 8 GBP. Wow...It is well. I can only imagine how long one will need to work to be able to pay off Tution fees assuming the person is earning the Minimum wage.

Thanks for your input .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunajia: 7:17pm On Oct 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Nostalgia Nostalgia Nostalgia.......... Some people might think, at that time, either you had dementia or possibly demented, to undertake all those roles, whilst studying.......... grin

The meaning of the game was, survival of the fittest.......... smiley

Not what I am today, BUT what would I become tomorrow.......... cheesy

My first rent was £25 per week (shared a two bedroom flat in stratford).......... grin

I was young and very innocent ....... wink

Mahn, I feel you, it was crazy. An angle was that I left my great job in Lagos to pursue the better life only to end up doing menial jobs to survive. However, it has been for the best so far.

Here's my take: Don't do it for yourself, you may be comfortable, you may have a job, house and car, what about your children? Do you think they'd have the same opportunities as you? Does it look like Nigeria will do right by them? Give them a fighting chance if you can. Enough said.

PS: people, please don't come abroad by force, do only what is legally allowed.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunajia: 7:21pm On Oct 09, 2021
solalal36:

Monthly rent at 210. That's really good. And I'm looking for rent at 300 and still can't find

This was years ago. As a student or a single person, you can put up with a not too optimum situation just to "balance your books" insofar it's not illegal and you keep your eyes fixed on the ball, you'll be fine �

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunajia: 7:34pm On Oct 09, 2021
mrcodebreaker:

Did you get a job to stay or went back to nigeria after this?

Went back to Naija because I had a plum job waiting with housing provided and all. I regret it to date.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iyatrustee(f): 7:39pm On Oct 09, 2021
I sent you a PM @Mamatukwas. Want to send something from Nig
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Davidganna10: 7:54pm On Oct 09, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Any of you can be on sponsored visa. Its actually wise for both couple to actively look during their time as a student so whichever one gets it becomes the main applicant

You are both each other support system.... and if the 5 years not possible, you both can plan how to go about 10 years rotating each other. Its perfectly legally if you choose to go that route
but I read somewhere that the dependant cannot apply for student visa or tier 2 visa from UK. He/she will have to apply from home country.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 9:51pm On Oct 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Nostalgia Nostalgia Nostalgia.......... Some people might think, at that time, either you had dementia or possibly demented, to undertake all those roles, whilst studying.......... grin

The meaning of the game was, survival of the fittest.......... smiley

Not what I am today, BUT what would I become tomorrow.......... cheesy

My first rent was £25 per week (shared a two bedroom flat in stratford).......... grin

I was young and very innocent ....... wink

The bolded is the key. I wan drop money for this wise line grin grin. I see so many focusing on the now and comparing with people that have been here for ages. Run your own race, no one's migration story is the same.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 10:29pm On Oct 09, 2021
Hi, thanks for this,

I sent you an email.

Olinga:

Hello I study at Stirling living in Edinburgh, I may not be able to help but can definitely refer and advise.

Send me an email on mbachuzara@gmail.com

We also have a group so people can help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 10:58pm On Oct 09, 2021
Kemifaj:

Sincerely,
Lora Mayar!

Run!!!! Lots of rental scams abound in the UK. Min rental length is a 6 month AST. Anything over 2 years falls under a commercial lease. Max deposit is 5 weeks rent and it has to be registered within 28 days. The language/ terminology is totally off as well.

Plus on Airbnb, you usually pay what the owner stipulates and Airbnb really has no say in it.

PS - Always always view the house either with the owner or an agent. If the owner, do not be afraid to ask for proof of ownership before paying any money. Do not ever pay cash.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 11:30pm On Oct 09, 2021
Good evening my UK ancestors and ndị ichie. We will be Landing in Aberdeen soon. I hear say that side dey cold. Please Will l be able to wear my íshí Agụ clothes there?. I have some fine 3 months old natives, e dey pain me to leave am. But e go pain me more say I use am block wey I for carry food and still cannot wear it.
Please help advise on this biko.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 11:44pm On Oct 09, 2021
Davidganna10:
but I read somewhere that the dependant cannot apply for student visa or tier 2 visa from UK. He/she will have to apply from home country.
You must have read wrong grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Davidganna10: 2:30am On Oct 10, 2021
tshoboy:

You must have read wrong grin
OK thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ndessien: 4:18am On Oct 10, 2021
Good morning brothers and sisters. Can we get two bedrooms flat for family of five . We have 3 boys and none is more than 11 years old. A friend said it must be three bedrooms. We are still in Nigeria sha.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 4:48am On Oct 10, 2021
Lexusgs430:

We have warned about scammers, prowling potential tenants......

But play along, tell Lora Mayar you are happy to pay by credit card or cash.........

Don't pay through a link the supposed landlord gives you, tell them you would pay directly through Airbnb....

Or give me the link, make i follow the scammer play .... grin

They might give a bogus/legit Airbnb link, and when payment doesn't go through suggest PayPal or transfer for quick resolution
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Cpearl4u: 4:56am On Oct 10, 2021
[quote author=Kemifaj post=106589349]Good evening my people in the UK.
It’s the same generic message the scammer sends to everybody, please run and don’t even try to pay through Airbnb. It’s fake he sent two emails with different email addresses to me word for word.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 7:47am On Oct 10, 2021
Ndessien:
Good morning brothers and sisters. Can we get two bedrooms flat for family of five . We have 3 boys and none is more than 11 years old. A friend said it must be three bedrooms. We are still in Nigeria sha.

A 2 bedroom is totally fine.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.