Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1186137 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 8:32am On Oct 09, 2021
solalal36:

£25 per week. Wow

Baba Lexus na ancient of days o. E don tey, no be yesterday grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:42am On Oct 09, 2021
Maxicon:

Hi, I would be moving to Bristol by month end. Any advice on how to go about getting an accommodation there and which area of bristol

Depends on how far or close you want to be to either work (if you're there for work) or uni. The very bad areas are luckily quite far from both the centre and the universities.

Best bet is open rent, spare room or gum tree. Do not pay for viewings or pay a holding deposit before doing any viewings.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:44am On Oct 09, 2021
ModelLook:
All of you that are in the UK, I greet you all from Nigeria. How is life in the UK? Okay now. I have some questions for you.

For those that are working and schooling, how are you coping with the two?

What is the possibility of completing your Tution Fees after paying initial deposit here in Nigeria especially if you are going for a two year master degree with placememts?

Note that initial deposit is just for the first year and it's like between 2k-3k GBP.

For example, your schools fees is let's say 12,000 GBP each for two years.
And you have to still pay rent, maintenance, transport and upkeep included.

What kind of job can a student do to be able to handle this.

Is it the same 20hr job of 10 GBP per hour that will cater for this. Can it really?
(I have done my research on partime job pay)

Is this possible?

I don tire cry

Abeg UK Nigerians, I need ur input here.

Took me the whole year of my masters plus an extra 8 months to finish paying my fees in full. It's not impossible but it means having no life till it's done! Plus you won't get your certificate till the fees is paid in full

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deybholar(f): 8:52am On Oct 09, 2021
Hello all.
Can someone please help? I have an urgent decision to make.
Where is the best area to live considering jobs and affordable housing.
I need to choose between Bristol, Glasgow, Bradford, Birmingham and middlesbrough.

I am tilting more towards Bradford because it is cheap, but I heard it is rural and unsafe.
Please help.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ebonybiuty: 8:54am On Oct 09, 2021
tshoboy:

Good to hear about this certifications you have. It’s faster to get a job if you have upto three years Big4 experience or any other professional service firm experience. I am sure your friends can refer you to one of them.
All the best.

Thank you so much �
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Shekbed10(f): 9:20am On Oct 09, 2021
Chat me up if you need pounds, I have pounds for sale

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Brtrue: 9:24am On Oct 09, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:37am On Oct 09, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Any of you can be on sponsored visa. Its actually wise for both couple to actively look during their time as a student so whichever one gets it becomes the main applicant

You are both each other support system.... and if the 5 years not possible, you both can plan how to go about 10 years rotating each other. Its perfectly legally if you choose to go that route

Bro

Can you please explain a bit more about the rotation you mentioned and being each other's support system towards ILR

Please

Thanks in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:54am On Oct 09, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Yes if you get a sponsored job , you can switch and start the 5 years count

The 10 years would be easier for those who did first degree here than masters .... but masters it would be to collectively see how u can get 10 years but that might be a lot of schools fees paying. ....so definitely not the best option. But if its a couple then where one ends the other takes over .

If your wife switches to a 3 Undergraduate programme, will this one make sense?

Can one be an undergraduate student's dependent? Do under grads get PSW?

If on a 2 yr Msc, can one be a dependent after she has been my own dependent?

Been thinking about these options for a while now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 9:55am On Oct 09, 2021
hustla:

Bro

Can you please explain a bit more about the rotation you mentioned and being each other's support system towards ILR

Please

Thanks in advance
Scene 1
Spouse 1 : MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2 Years

Spouse 1 : PhD 4 years

Total : Minimum 7years

Spouse 2: MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2 years

Total 10years = ILR

Scene 2.

Spouse 1 : MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2years

Spouse 1 can hustle for TIER 2 during study and hope to get one before Spouse 2 PSW comes to an end.

If TIER 2 doesn't show up, Proceed to PhD.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 10:02am On Oct 09, 2021
hustla:

If your wife switches to a 3 Undergraduate programme, will this one make sense?

Can one be an undergraduate student's dependent? Do under grads get PSW?

If on a 2 yr Msc, can one be a dependent after she has been my own dependent?

Been thinking about these options for a while now

Undergraduate students are not allowed to have dependants.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:04am On Oct 09, 2021
icon8:

Baba Lexus na ancient of days o. E don tey, no be yesterday grin cheesy grin

The beauty of been an ancient of days is, having a sub £300 mortgage payment.......... wink

I truly envy people paying £1000 rent ......... I for die, I no fit, walahi.......... wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:05am On Oct 09, 2021
AirBay:

Scene 1

Total 10years = ILR

Scene 2.

Spouse 1 : MSc 1 or 2 years, PSW 2years

Spouse 1 can hustle for TIER 2 during study and hope to get one before Spouse 2 PSW comes to an end.

If TIER 2 doesn't show up, Proceed to PhD.

Thanks for the analysis, may your days be long

For this scene 1

Scene 1

Total 10years = ILR

Can Spouse 1 also go on another MSc instead of PhD?

For instance,

-Initial MSc (2yrs + 2 yrs PsW)
2nd MSc = (1 yr + 2 yrs PsW)
Total = 7 yrs

- Spouse 2, Msc (2 yrs +2 yrs PSW)
Total = 4 yrs

Can it also work this way?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 10:13am On Oct 09, 2021
hustla:

Thanks for the analysis, may your days be long

For this scene 1

Scene 1

Total 10years = ILR

Can Spouse 1 also go on another MSc instead of PhD?

For instance,

-Initial MSc (2yrs + 2 yrs PsW)
2nd MSc = (1 yr + 2 yrs PsW)
Total = 7 yrs

- Spouse 2, Msc (2 yrs +2 yrs PSW)
Total = 4 yrs

Can it also work this way?

No, you are entitled to the PSW once.

So it can only be

Spouse 1
MSc 2years PSW 2years
Msc 2years

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2021
AirBay:

No, you are entitled to the PSW once.

So it can only be

Spouse 1
MSc 2years PSW 2years
Msc 2years

Thanks for your response

That means if spouse 2 gets

Msc 2 yrs
PSw 2 yrs

10 yrs will be complete this way

Can I switch to Tier 2 at any point in time?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 10:23am On Oct 09, 2021
Lexusgs430:

The beauty of been an ancient of days is, having a sub £300 mortgage payment.......... wink

I truly envy people paying £1000 rent ......... I for die, I no fit, walahi.......... wink

Lol the plan has always been to be like you when I grow up. But I have to grow up first, and fast too grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 10:35am On Oct 09, 2021
hustla:

Thanks for your response

That means if spouse 2 gets

Msc 2 yrs
PSw 2 yrs

10 yrs will be complete this way

Can I switch to Tier 2 at any point in time?

Yes. Anytime
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:41am On Oct 09, 2021
AirBay:

Undergraduate students are not allowed to have dependants.

Wahala be like bicycle

MSC all the way then

Many thanks!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:41am On Oct 09, 2021
AirBay:

Yes. Anytime

Thanks boss!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ModelLook(m): 10:45am On Oct 09, 2021
Ticha:

Took me the whole year of my masters plus an extra 8 months to finish paying my fees in full. It's not impossible but it means having no life till it's done! Plus you won't get your certificate till the fees is paid in full

Wow. I'm already afraid. That is alot. I can only imagine. I'm glad you were able to complete it.

May God help me.
Thanks alot for your contribution. I appreciate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ModelLook(m): 10:50am On Oct 09, 2021
tshoboy:

It’s difficult, but could be easier if you have a spouse doing full time job that would help with the fees. Just avoid having kids during the two years. So, maybe it’s time to marry grin

Hmmm...Thanks alot. It's truly difficult as you said if u don't have a support. It is well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:20am On Oct 09, 2021
ModelLook:
All of you that are in the UK, I greet you all from Nigeria. How is life in the UK? Okay now. I have some questions for you.

What is the possibility of completing your Tution Fees after paying initial deposit here in Nigeria especially if you are going for a two year master degree with placememts?

Note that initial deposit is just for the first year and it's like between 2k-3k GBP.

Is it the same 20hr job of 10 GBP per hour that will cater for this. Can it really?

Is this possible?

I don tire cry

Looking at the scenario you stated i will suggest that you think long and hard before coming to the UK.

To be able to pay remaining tuition fees , rent, bills and feeding you need to be making about £1500 a month at least

Minimum wage is £8.91 ph and not £10 as you stated though some companies pay £10.

I suggest you come with your fees and maintenance money for the first one year then take your time to work and raise money for second year

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:31am On Oct 09, 2021
hustla:

Bro

Please

Thanks in advance

I am a female
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 11:33am On Oct 09, 2021
Ticha:

Se na ancient days be this? grin Cos by the 6th month, my uni was already dragging me for balance, by 7th month, my IT access was blocked.

How did you manage to pay for 1year 8months?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:04pm On Oct 09, 2021
LagosismyHome:

I am a female

shocked

Apologies
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KunMagic9: 12:12pm On Oct 09, 2021
Hello guys please btw Salford and Cardiff which would you recommend for me based on student jobs, accommodation, standard of living etc. I have offers from 2 schools there. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 1:11pm On Oct 09, 2021
It is not easy to work and pay for that amount of money considering you are allowed to do only 20hrs per week except during the holiday. Even people with full time job struggleto save that amount per year.

In addition, applying for graduate jobs is like full time job if you are determined to get a job. Most people that get good jobs are usually students that have time to apply.

There is also the likelihood that you will not be able to work for the first few weeks/month as you will still be adjusting.

It is better you have your tuition and only hustle for living expenses, if at all you have to

ModelLook:

Is this possible?

I don tire cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 2:30pm On Oct 09, 2021
deybholar:
Hello all.
Can someone please help? I have an urgent decision to make.
Where is the best area to live considering jobs and affordable housing.
I need to choose between Bristol, Glasgow, Bradford, Birmingham and middlesbrough.

I am tilting more towards Bradford because it is cheap, but I heard it is rural and unsafe.
Please help.
Thank you

Bradford is dead as its mostly asians. Also bradford has a reputation of being a place where dodgy, criminals live. Ask any white. Plus bradford is in top 5 worst towns in the uk.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 2:31pm On Oct 09, 2021
Ticha:

Lived there for a long time and it's our UK base. Needing help?

Looking for working class friends based in bristol.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 2:33pm On Oct 09, 2021
seunajia:
This thread reminds me of my time in the UK - studying full-time and working as a porter in Lang Stracht just to survive. I worked from Fridays to Sundays because there were no classes on Fridays. Although the restaurant I worked with offered more hours, I had to stick to the 20 hours PW term time quota because I was dead scared of flouting the visa rule and ending up in Lagos. I knew so many guys who did 40 hours PW and nothing happened to them, but mahn, I was a good lad grin To balance my account, I worked hyper during the holiday periods.

At the minimum, I earned 600 GBP PM, my rent in a single room shared apartment was around 210 GBP PM, living expenses was low because I always had food from work and I lived with a wonderful Nigerian lady who worked part-time as a chef. In all, I worked as a porter, a ticketing agent in a club, cashier, service at events and as a kitchen hand.

For me, it was back breaking work but it helped pay the remainder of my tuition, my monthly rent and bills, the money I sent home and the land I bought in Lagos. And against all odds, I still graduated with a first and with the class prize.

The story still plenty cheesy Shout outs to ABZ!

Did you get a job to stay or went back to nigeria after this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 2:34pm On Oct 09, 2021
Ebonybiuty:

Thank you so much for your prompt response. This has actually been giving me sleepless nights, I thought it’s just hubby that can get sponsored, since he’s the one schooling.
Thing is, I have quite a number of qualifications (ICAN,ACCA,Msc and almost done with CFA too ) and I’m eyeing some top Audit firms where my friends work in UK…So I thought since I’m just a dependant, I might not get a sponsored job

Thanks once again

Quite loaded. With acca and msc. You are good for a big4 or any other accounting company.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2021
AirBay:

Se na ancient days be this? grin Cos by the 6th month, my uni was already dragging me for balance, by 7th month, my IT access was blocked.

How did you manage to pay for 1year 8months?

16 years ago o �� I even owed uni accommodation fees for more than 2 years! Anytime they harassed me, I go send £100. After I paid my fees, I brought my sister over for her undergrad � so it took even longer to pay the accommodation fees off

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.