Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,501 members, 7,816,191 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta (6290 Views)

Yusuf Datti Baba Ahmed Moved To Tears Over Insults To Family / My Eyes Are Filled With Tears Over Opobo And Bonny / Isa Pantami Shed Tears Over Killings In Northern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Sufferingboy(f): 8:46pm On Sep 10, 2021
BKayy:

I assume by "Delta Igbo" that you are talking about Enuani.
So, Please help me tell her that one only speaks for herself and people, so she have no right to speak of people (Delta Igbo) that she doesn't share any feelings/emotions or pain with.
Ask her why the people of Isheagu was massacred and the town burnt down by Ika and Bini people during the war.
You sit in your Isoko house and say that people that risked death to smuggle food into Igbo hinterland (East) during the war will think twice if option to join Biafra is presented to them.

Wetin still concern Ika people here?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by isokomarine: 8:47pm On Sep 10, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr103:

Dont worry, When Nigeria breaks all you minorities go hear whin......if you fail to conduct yourselves properly.
Please remain me of south east landmass
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 10, 2021
isokomarine:
you sound funny to be sincere
Why did u say that ma?
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
kmcutez:

Thanks for the compliment. embarassed embarassed
Keep it up. Why u dey strong face? Because you feel say I use style toast u? grin grin grin

I hear Isoko women are beautiful, strong and smart. I have confirmed two out of it( strong and smart), remaining the 'beautiful' aspect. May I meet you to confirm this? cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by compton11(m): 10:15pm On Sep 10, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Lol

Please can you show me your evidence for this?

No part of Olukumi will be ceded to Igbos.
all our lands from kogi to delta would be in Yoruba nation

4 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by JANK23H(m): 10:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
RobbStark:

Mumu, when are coming to claim our lands into your dream biafrau.d
When??
Aha, it's normal online noise soothing only to your fellow miscreants here.

Get a life, coming only everyday with free data won't help you.

All your noise, na here e end.
No where e reach

You seem to know them so well
I engaged them on some threads days ago. think I lost some brain cells doing that;a huge mistake on my part.A bunch of retards!

Now I understand better why the Yorubas call them certain names.

3 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Malawian(m): 10:51pm On Sep 10, 2021
O.P come make I use my handkerchief take wipe your tears.

1 Like

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by isokomarine: 8:58am On Sep 11, 2021
gomojam:
Why did u say that ma?
you Want to meet a lady on nairaland,
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 11, 2021
isokomarine:
you Want to meet a lady on nairaland,
Lol. Isn't it possible? It is left for both party involve to decide considering their status and desire.
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by isokomarine: 9:40am On Sep 11, 2021
gomojam:
Lol. Isn't it possible? It is left for both party involve to decide considering their status and desire.

lol
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 11, 2021
gomojam:
Keep it up. Why u dey strong face? Because you feel say I use style toast u? grin grin grin

I hear Isoko women are beautiful, strong and smart. I have confirmed two out of it( strong and smart), remaining the 'beautiful' aspect. May I meet you to confirm this? cheesy

Many an ode and sonnet has been written to praise my beauty, but alas thy fair maiden is taken. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 11, 2021
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Ariani: 11:16am On Sep 11, 2021
No Yoruba founded Olukumi.
They met Igbos on ground who welcomed them and who they called "Olukumi" meaning "my friend".
Anyday the Yorubas in Odiani ( original name of the place you call Olukumi today) what to go back to Owo and join their Yoruba cousins, they would be welcomed.
But if they choose to remain in Odiani, then they have chosen to be Igbo and assimilate fully as such, which they are already doing willingly.

4 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Ariani: 11:17am On Sep 11, 2021
History
There has always been igbos in ugbodu before the arrival of the warriors from Akure,sent by the then Oba of Benin wen he was in pursuit of the fleeing igbos from the Benin kingdom. Those warriors getting to ugbodu,settled....and called the igbos there "olukumi" meaning my friends because the people were peaceful and friendly and also ruled over them for some period of time before the the Edos took over and then the igbos took back kingship.The original tittle as used by the government for the king of of ugbodu is "OBI" ,you can confirm from just recently court case on the obiship stool. So ugbodu was an igbo town by inception hence the use of igbo language along side the yoruboid language(olukumi). You cant separate ugbodu from her igboness.

what I am saying is dat ndi igbo is part of the foundation of Ugbodu Kingdom and was never 100% yoruba origin and Anioma in general so when we are speaking of fore father's and birth right,that should be in mind too coz actually,the warriors were the ones who "came in" and settled ,meeting pre existing igbos . So one can decide to identify as onye igbo from Ugbodu in Anioma delta state and also those who feel they are Yorubas or olukumi can also identify as one.

The formulation and conscious deduction of this from history is more political,As those who know,know. Even the Obi stool but won't talk much on that for reasons. If you go to Ugbodu kingdom today and other Odinani (odiani) clans(Ukwunzu,Ugbodu,Ubulubu,ogodor,ugboba,idumuogo),you will observe and feel the igboness very much present.

2 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Ariani: 11:21am On Sep 11, 2021
UGBODU PEOPLE OF THE ODIANI CLAN

The Odianis are located in Aniocha North local government area of Delta State, Nigeria.They are referred to as "Delta igbos" ,Anioma people or Odiani people. The Odianis of today are in no way Yoruba people,as they dont share any similarity in culture or tradition,and also way of life. Apart from them being bilingual,they are very much Proud sons and daughters of Anioma and west igbo land.They occupy eight communities west of the Niger river, and are together known today, as the Odiani clan in Aniomaland.[1] Ugbodu town is considered the traditional headquarters of the Odiani people and is traditionally headed by the Oloza(Obi) of Ugbodu. The present oloza is H.R.M Obi Ayo Ochei Isinyemeze,who is the traditional head of the Aniocha north council of kings.[2] Odiani villages select leaders through the okpala obi system, which was a borrowed feature from their neighbors, and is a fusion of the Obi (Kingship) rulership system gotten from Benin, and the Okpala (Gerontocracy) system gotten from the Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Ariani: 11:23am On Sep 11, 2021
The Odianis occupy an area just west of the Niger River's right bank. The area is rich in Chalk and Kaolin deposits which is known as "Nzu" in Igbo, which has been traditionally mined and used by the people of the area for various cultural purposes. Except on the Northern flank where the Olukumis share a common border with Edo state and Esanland, they are almost completely surrounded by Enuani communities. They are located in Aniocha North L.G.A of Delta state
Etymology The word Olukumi means "My confidant" or "My friend"

Ugbodu means : I have found solace in this land.

Odiani Towns and Communities s/n Town Origins
4 Idumu Ogo
5 Ugboba (Ugbo Oba)
6 Ogodor
7 Ogbe Onei (Obomkpa) Owo
8 Anioma

Non Olukumi villages of Yoruba Origins s/n Town Origins

2 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Ariani: 11:25am On Sep 11, 2021
PRESENT DAY ODIANI CLAN
THE ODINANIS OF TODAY ARE FULL BLOODED NDI ANIOMAS AND BY EXTENSION MAKING THEM NDI IGBOS OF THE WEST. THE OBI OF UGBODU IS THE CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL OF OBIS IN ANIOCHA. THEY ARE ABOUT THE OLDEST TOWN IN ANIOCHA NORTH LGA
ALTHOUGH SOME MAY CLAIM NOT TO BE WESTERN IGBOS,BUT THAT IS JUST AN EFFECT OF IDENTITY CRISIS WHICH THIS PAGE IS SET TO CORRECT.
THE UNIQUENESS OF THE UGBODU PEOPLE IS THAT THEY ARE BILINGUAL,SPEAKING BOTH THE ENUANI DIALECT AND OLUKUMI DIALECT WHICH THEY ARE TRYING TO PRESERVE. THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES ANIOMA RICH IN CULTURE AND HERITAGE.Aniocha North
Notable Odiani People Nduka Ugbade - (Former Nigerian football star and coach) Helen Anyamelune - (Former Miss Nigeria)See also Enuani people Anioma people

HISTORY AND PRESENT OF THE ODIANI CLAN BY UGBODU ANIOMA THE HISTORY AND PRESENT DAY ODIANI CLAN IN ANIOMA.
UGBODU ANIOMA.
Ugbodu kingdom is a bilingual speaking community,in Aniocha North area of Delta state. The speak both Enuani and olukumi languages fluently. The present oloza(king) is H.R.M Obi Ayo Ochei Isinyemeze.[1] Olukumi villages select leaders through the okpala obi system, which was a borrowed feature from their neighbors, and is a fusion of the Obi (Kingship) rulership system gotten from Benin, and the Okpala (Gerontocracy) system gotten from the Igbos.
Geography Located in the heart of Anioma land in Aniocha North L.G.A of Delta State are the bilingual people Who speak Olukwumi and Enuani(igbo dialect) perfectly.
In recent times due to the seemingly extinction of the olukwumi language ,most of the youths speak just the enuani dialect and the purest form of the olukwumi dialect is only spoken by elders in the community. Although they are measures being taken to preserve the unique Olukwumi dialect.
They partook in every activity during the Ekumeku war,and others.
These Anioma son's occupy an area just west of the Niger River's right bank. The area is rich in Chalk and Kaolin deposits.

2 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Igboid: 11:36am On Sep 11, 2021
Whatever Yoruba presence in Odiani clan met indigenous Igbo tribes there who welcomed and subsequently assimilated them into Igbo culture and language since they were the overwhelming majority.

This is the history of many towns in Anioma area.
Aboriginal Igbo peace loving people who welcome Yoruba,Isoko, Bini, Igala people running away from trouble in their homeland and assimilating them into Igbo culture and language.

Rather than show gratitude to these Igbo people who accommodated them, descendants of these non Igbos go about trying to de-Igbonize their host communities by fabricating ridiculous stories of SEners forcing Igbo language on them, while the aboriginal Igbo native families who constitute the majority in these places maintain painful silence which irks those of us in SE.

In case of Odiani (Olukumi) though, the aboriginal Igbo natives there are doing a good job keeping the non Igbo migrants contained.

4 Likes

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 11, 2021
kmcutez:

Many an ode and sonnet has been written to praise my beauty, but alas thy fair maiden is taken. cheesy cheesy
Thank you. God bless your taker grin

Isokomarine, this is what I was saying about status and desire. It's not that deep.
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by theTranscriber: 12:06pm On Sep 11, 2021
Ariani:
No Yoruba founded Olukumi.
They met Igbos on ground who welcomed them and who they called "Olukumi" meaning "my friend".
Anyday the Yorubas in Odiani ( original name of the place you call Olukumi today) what to go back to Owo and join their Yoruba cousins, they would be welcomed.
But if they choose to remain in Odiani, then they have chosen to be Igbo and assimilate fully as such, which they are already doing willingly.
Grammer

olùkùmi means my friend in Yoruba not eboe
okay?

zero8zero is olùkùmi and he disagrees with you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by theTranscriber: 12:08pm On Sep 11, 2021
Ariani:
History
There has always been igbos in ugbodu before the arrival of the warriors from Akure,sent by the then Oba of Benin wen he was in pursuit of the fleeing igbos from the Benin kingdom. Those warriors getting to ugbodu,settled....and called the igbos there "olukumi" meaning my friends because the people were peaceful and friendly and also ruled over them for some period of time before the the Edos took over and then the igbos took back kingship.The original tittle as used by the government for the king of of ugbodu is "OBI" ,you can confirm from just recently court case on the obiship stool. So ugbodu was an igbo town by inception hence the use of igbo language along side the yoruboid language(olukumi). You cant separate ugbodu from her igboness.

what I am saying is dat ndi igbo is part of the foundation of Ugbodu Kingdom and was never 100% yoruba origin and Anioma in general so when we are speaking of fore father's and birth right,that should be in mind too coz actually,the warriors were the ones who "came in" and settled ,meeting pre existing igbos . So one can decide to identify as onye igbo from Ugbodu in Anioma delta state and also those who feel they are Yorubas or olukumi can also identify as one.

The formulation and conscious deduction of this from history is more political,As those who know,know. Even the Obi stool but won't talk much on that for reasons. If you go to Ugbodu kingdom today and other Odinani (odiani) clans(Ukwunzu,Ugbodu,Ubulubu,ogodor,ugboba,idumuogo),you will observe and feel the igboness very much present.
Grammer
zero8zero is olùkùmi and he doesn't agree with your "history" without a source

1 Like

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by theTranscriber: 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2021
Igboid:
Whatever Yoruba presence in Odiani clan met indigenous Igbo tribes there who welcomed and subsequently assimilated them into Igbo culture and language since they were the overwhelming majority.

Aboriginal Igbo peace loving people who welcome Yoruba,Isoko, Bini, Igala people running away from trouble in their homeland and assimilating them into Igbo culture and language.

Rather than show gratitude to these Igbo people who accommodated them, descendants of these Igbos go about trying to de-Igbonize their host communities by fabricating ridiculous stories of SEners forcing Igbo language on them, while the aboriginal Igbo native families who constitute the majority in these places maintain painful silence which irks those of us in SE.

In case of Odiani (Olukumi) though, the aboriginal Igbo natives there are doing a good job keeping the non Igbo migrants contained.

zero8zero

1 Like

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2021
Igboid:

Rather than show gratitude to these Igbo people who accommodated them, descendants of these Igbos go about trying to de-Igbonize their host communities by fabricating ridiculous stories of SEners forcing Igbo language on them, while the aboriginal Igbo native families who constitute the majority in these places maintain painful silence which irks those of us in SE.

Lol
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Igboid: 1:18pm On Sep 11, 2021
theTranscriber:
Grammer
zero8zero is olùkùmi and he doesn't agree with your "history" without a source

The history was actually written by an Odiani (yes that's their real name) person.
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Igboid: 1:18pm On Sep 11, 2021
kmcutez:

Lol

I'm sure your Isoko trouble causing people in Ndokwa East fall into that category.
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 11, 2021
Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by theTranscriber: 1:36pm On Sep 11, 2021
Igboid:

The history was actually written by an Odiani (yes that's their real name) person.
can i get a source?

olùkùmi is what people know

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-history-of-the-olukumi-people-in-nigeria

They are unique in every sense. Surrounded by predominantly Ibo-speaking tribes, they speak a variant of the Yoruba language, which surprising is yet to be subsumed by those of their dominant neighbours. How they came to inhabit their present abode has been a subject of varied folklores. One of these concludes that when the OLUKUMiS arrived at their present place of domicile in the Far North of present-day Delta State, the Edo (Ancient Benin) émigrés and Ibos from the East of the River Niger had been on ground for a minimum of three centuries. Unable to communicate with the hostile people all around them, they courtesied all and sundry who they came into contact with "OLUKUMi", a word in the Akoko dialect of Yoruba language which means "my friend".
Further evidence has emerged to dispute this variation of their history. There is documentary evidence to suggest that the OLUKUMiS occupied their present abode long before their Ibo speaking neighbours (including the Asabas) arrived the vicinity.
However, to this day, the variant of Yoruba language spoken by these people is called Olukumi by neighbouring communities!

Due to the small size of this unique community and the threat of its culture and heritage being submerged into that of its dominant neighbours,the need to preserve its culture through published material has arisen so as to ensure that accounts of knowledgeable indigenes are preserved before they all pass away. Prior to now, the history had been transferred through oral means from Elders to their children.
The writer, Chief G B Nkemnacho, has over the past forty years, put pen to paper and documented the history of his people (the OLUKUMIS) as told by earlier generations. As has been said severally, no one can tell a history better than the people who actually lived through it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulukwumi_language

https://zims-en.kiwix.campusafrica.gos.orange.com/wikipedia_en_all_nopic/A/Olukumi_people

http://www.tellafrica.com.ng/culture/2797/

http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2224-00392020000100017

tao11

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by oyatz(m): 1:37pm On Sep 11, 2021
paramakina202:

Asari great grandfather was an Igboman from Abam in Abia state and the reason he goes with Igbo warrior title of Ediabali. Asari himself has said it several times.
The Yoruba migrants were accomodated by indigenous Igbo community they met on the ground the reason they speak both Igbo and a Yoruba dialect.

So Asari Dokubu, a past president of Ijaw Youth Congress (IYC) who once declared that Igbos were
slaves of the Ijaws is an Igboman?

1 Like

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by franktech(m): 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2021
There are also lots of Igbo communities in Benin core Yoruba land all the way to lagos. We only have to seek referendum and ask those people where they want to belong. If Akure, Ondo, Benin say they want to be Biafra so be it. If benin and delta including bayelsa say they want odua or their own country, so be it. Or do you have an ulterior motive?

Re: My Eyes Is Filled With Tears Over Olukumi People In Aniocha North Area Of Delta by franktech(m): 1:42pm On Sep 11, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Hello guys, I've just found out their is an indigenous Yoruba clan in Aniocha North Area of Delta state.

They are called the Olukumi people.

Knowing this tonight have bought tears to my eyes cry

I now understand how techwaya felt after finding out Opobo is part of Igbo land cry cry

We won't cede an inch of Yoruba land to the Igbos.

Just open your map and see Igboland communities extend all the way to Lagos. Bad education is terrible

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine / FEC Approves ₦‎2.3 Billion For Local Assembly Of Aircraft / Likely Ministerial Nominees From Each State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.