Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception (8366 Views)

The Misconception About Votes From Northern Nigeria / Here Is The Man That Caused Disunity Among Yoruba And Igbo People / FFK: "Nnamdi Kanu Kept On Naval Warship Off The Coast Of Bayelsa By Buhari" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ariani: 4:00pm On Sep 09, 2021
Collyweed:

No need to get too excited. We are all here to learn.

I think the closest translation of the Yoruba "orisha" in Igbo should be "arushi"/"alusi". They still have the same consonants.

Yeah.
Probably.
Orisha corresponds to Arushi/Alusi.
I agree with that.

But Orisha concept is entirely opposite to Olisa.

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by fx45(m): 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
kmcutez:
I’m a female. Why should I lie?
Females don't tell lies

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 4:04pm On Sep 09, 2021
Ariani:

Yeah.
Probably.
Orisha corresponds to Arushi/Alusi.
I agree with that.

But Orisha concept is entirely opposite to Olisa.
Alusi = Alu/arụ kwụsị.
They are not related.
This is Odinani and I don't joke with it

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ariani: 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2021
BKayy:

Alusi = Alu/arụ kwụsị.
They are not related.
I have never thought of it that way.
It makes more sense.

Alukwusi! Good one.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
BKayy:

Alusi = Alu/arụ kwụsị.
They are not related.

Can you breakdown these words i'm pretty sure Orisha and Alusi are both closely related both in name and in purpose both religions of Ifa and Odinani share very similar concepts and practices as well
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ariani: 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
Abohboy:

Can you breakdown these words i'm pretty sure Orisha and Alusi are both closely related both in name and in purpose both religions of Ifa and Odinani share very similar concepts and practices as well

He has already broken Alusi down nah.

Alusi = Alu kwusi! Meaning "let abomination stop" in English.

It makes perfect sense.

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 4:40pm On Sep 09, 2021
Ariani:

He has already broken Alusi down nah.

Alusi = Alu kwusi! Meaning "let abomination stop" in English.

It makes perfect sense.

Bros I grew up abroad I don't speak any Nigerian language thank you for the translation but how does let abomination stop make sense for the meaning of deities worshipped and venerated what abomination were they stopping I really hope this isn't from a western or abrahamic religion point of view.

Alusi like the Orisha were spoken to through divination called Ifa or Afa by a Dibia or Babalawo and you couldn't and wouldn't directly speak to the supreme deity that being Chukwu or Olodumare and what held your destiny and also guided you in life was your ori or chi I see no where in this explanation where these two religions differ so it wouldn't make sense for Alusi or Alu Kwusi as you say to suddenly have something to do with an Abomination

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ariani: 4:51pm On Sep 09, 2021
Abohboy:

Bros I grew up abroad I don't speak any Nigerian language thank you for the translation but how does let abomination stop make sense for the meaning of deities worshipped and venerated what abomination were they stopping I really hope this isn't from a western or abrahamic religion point of view.

Alusi like the Orisha were spoken to through divination called Ifa or Afa by a Dibia or Babalawo and you couldn't and wouldn't directly speak to the supreme deity that being Chukwu or Olodumare and what held your destiny and also guided you in life was your ori or chi I see no where in this explanation where these two religions differ so it wouldn't make sense for Alusi or Alu Kwusi as you say to suddenly have something to do with an Abomination

It makes sense that Alusi is Alukwusi!
Igbo and Yoruba are two distinct people who had interactions in the distant past and shraed some words and ideas as evidence of that interaction.

Orisha can be broken down in Yoruba too.
Ori in Yoruba means head! So Orisha has something to do with the cult of the head or sort of leadership, many native African tribes have this cult of head ish rumoured to have been from the black Egypt (Kemet).
This is entirely not what Alusi is about.

Alusi is about cleansing of the land from abomination.

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 5:34pm On Sep 09, 2021
Ariani:

Igbo and Yoruba are two distinct people who had interactions in the distant past and shraed some words and ideas as evidence of that interaction.

Ori in Yoruba means head! So Orisha has something to do with the cult of the head or sort of leadership, many native African tribes have this cult of head ish rumoured to have been from the black Egypt (Kemet).

Oh okay I thought you were saying Alusi were the abominations thanks for clearing it up
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 6:06pm On Sep 09, 2021
Ariani:

Wow. Nice 1.
For a Christian, you did very well in the explanation.
Now Mr Abohboy, Alụsi is not what they wrote on some blog or website.
In the simplest term I can explain, Arụsi is where you go to get justice. It is not a place for divination where one person will throw Cowries on the ground. If you want divination, you go to okwu agwụ where your problem will be traced (ịgba afa).
And you going there to lay complain doesn't mean that you are exempted from the punishment if later you are found to be guilty.
Call it a spiritual court because the problem will be looked into by non living and judgement served accordingly
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 6:24pm On Sep 09, 2021
BKayy:

Wow. Nice 1.
For a Christian, you did very well in the explanation.
Now Mr Abohboy, Alụsi is not what they wrote on some blog or website.
In the simplest term I can explain, Arụsi is where you go to get justice. It is not a place for divination where one person will throw Cowries on the ground. If you want divination, you go to okwu agwụ where your problem will be traced (ịgba afa).
And you going there to lay complain doesn't mean that you are exempted from the punishment if later you are found to be guilty.
Call it a spiritual court because the problem will be looked into by non living and judgement served accordingly

Aren't Alusi talked to through divination I know one Dibia on twitter and that's what he said but yes at the same time they also do what you said are you sure that divination isn't for Alusi
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 6:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
Abohboy:

Aren't Alusi talked to through divination I know one Dibia on twitter and that's what he said but yes at the same time they also do what you said are you sure that divination isn't for Alusi
I will say invoke to be specific about the divination because he is bringing the spirit to this world through the incantations.
I think we are going to far
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Idiko1: 6:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
Efewestern:

Okoro is an ancient Edoid word for man. It is used by almost all groups influenced by Edo. Ilaje, Isoko / Urhobo, Itsekiri etc make use of okoro.

examples

Okoro - Man/boy
Okoro-tie/Okotie - Short man
Okoro-Odudu/Okorodudu - Black man

I can't give a translation to Okorafo, maybe it's wrongly spelt.

Arrant nonsense !!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 6:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
BKayy:

I will say invoke to be specific about the divination because he is bringing the spirit to this world through the incantations.
I think we are going to far

Oh okay
we can stop here it's no problem
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 6:36pm On Sep 09, 2021
Abohboy:

Oh okay
we can stop here it's no problem
Yes better.
BTW, the dibịa was at his okwu agwụ doing the divinations not okwu Arụsị. They are different temples

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 1:15am On Sep 10, 2021
Did anyone see where I can find garri ?
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 9:55am On Sep 10, 2021
Oksman:

My inlaw from isoko bears Okoro.
Nothing funny about it. We were confused when he told us he was from isoko.
it's common among isoko and Edoid language
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by LordFarquaad(m): 11:13am On Sep 11, 2021
Homeboiy:
It’s just like we Nsukka people

Maybe if we were not carved into South east

People will still say we are not igbos
Most Nsukka names I don’t even know the meanings
Names like
Itodo
Oche
Agbo
Apeh
Ameh
Idoko
Attah
Apochi

These are both igala and idoma names
These names represent just little percentage of ndi nsukka population probably 20% percent. You make it sound as though a greater percentage of ndi nsukka bear names that are not intelligible to the wider Igbos.
Every border town in the East has a little bit of this just acculturation but it doesn't make them less Igbo..
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by LordFarquaad(m): 3:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
DREagon:

True Talk

If your people had crude oil during the civil war, you would have been in benue state by now, suffering from identity crisis.
If you think the indigenes of Nsukka, a town that hosted the University of Biafra and that was instrumental in the war would forget it's heritage then, think again.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by iyedea: 10:44am On Sep 12, 2021
Abohboy:

You realize that different areas can have different people living within them right? And that different ethnic groups can be within a single LGA? If you don't know this then you're an idiot becaus that should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about Nigeria, Delta State has 5 major ethnic groups including Igbo, Urhobo, Isoko, Itsekiri and Ijaw and where i'm from Aboh is an igbo community
you are very correct
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 11:45am On Sep 12, 2021
iyedea:
you are very correct
don't mind Ndigbo they are online desperate land grabber
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Dmadagwa(m): 11:13am On Oct 06, 2021
[quote author=glacswhite post=105608079][/quote]

*_If GOD made you an African, its because you won't be better as an American! - Daniel Madagwa._*

Hello pals, *_Isoko Dictionary_* is live on play store; you can download using this � link and help to review.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=isoko.dictionary3

More features loading...

_Beyond The Class; Motivation and Skills_
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 7:35pm On Oct 10, 2021
Dmadagwa:

*_If GOD made you an African, its because you won't be better as an American! - Daniel Madagwa._*

Hello pals, *_Isoko Dictionary_* is live on play store; you can download using this � link and help to review.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=isoko.dictionary3

More features loading...

_Beyond The Class; Motivation and Skills_
Welcome development bro
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Dmadagwa(m): 4:38pm On Oct 14, 2021
isokomarine:
Welcome development bro

Thanks please download and review
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 6:25am On Nov 05, 2021
Dmadagwa:

Thanks please download and review
Alright
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by darfay: 11:33am On Dec 24, 2021
Fejoku:
With those communities OP listed, I'll ensure to carry out real investigations on them by visiting some of them to put this matter to rest.
Now unto the Igbo(Ndokwa)/Isoko relationship, one can't understand them without understanding that history.
In the old days early 19th century, Aboh was the most powerful kingdom on the Niger up untill Idah in the Igala country. She heavily participated in slavery getting slaves from all around her area of influence and still buying from Idah. She will then sell those slaves to Brass who will either take the victims to Bonny or sell them straight to Brazilian slavers who inside the Brass rivers to evade British anti-slavery ships at that time because slave trade was abolished in 1807.
In those days ethnicity was very fluidy especially in the boundary areas. People moved around and settled wherever they get much food and less problems irrespective of the different language they encounter there. They just learn the language in some cases or muddle up the language with that of others to develop a slightly different language from both languages. If one language features more in the mixed language, it continues to share the same language classification with the predominant language around it. I can say confidently that I now understand Isokos claim of being distinct from Urhobo. Isokos might have originally been Urhobos but after the great exodus from Benin city, a lot of other edoids who fled passed through their territory and added to the mix. Such edoids are the Egenni, Epie-Atissa etc. One will notice that the Isokos have both LGAs sandwiched between Igbos of Ukwuani and the Urhobos therefore a good number of Igbos must have moved into the territory and added to the mix to create a further divergence from Urhobo. Some Isoko South communities Igbide to be specific claim Igbo origin but are today Isokos. This is how one can be able to understand the name similarities that exist between Igbo and Isoko. Some Isoko communities are found in the Ndokwa East/Isoko South fringes and the story of a mixture of people is the same. It is with this understanding that one can use to question and look at such communities like Osekwenike and Abuetor(Igbo sounding names) as Igbo communities. I'll appreciate if any Isoko can give us the meaning of those names in the Isoko language.
It is my desire that we discuss these things with the mindset of understanding one another and accepting the truth for what it is.
Another thing we must not forget is the fact that some other really tiny languages might have been swallowed by either Igbo or the edoids around that area because from my studies, I've come to see a continuum that shows clearly how connected most people around that lower Niger is. It might be very difficult to put them into exactly one language family e.g Igboid or edoid or Ijoid. Take for instance, the Igboid Ekpeyes call their king 'Eze Logbo' and here we see an Isoko claim that those communities have their king traditional title as Odiologbo.

I just saw this thread and I'll try to give an honest befitting answer devoid of ethnic sentiment

Concerning the afformentioned communities, The deductive truth is that they were originally founded by ukwale/ndokwa people but they accepted migrants from neighbouring isoko communities considering the fact that isokoland is much smaller than ndokwaland which is also sparsely populated. The isoko migrants out numbered their earlier ukwani settlers and the towns/villages/settlements moved from being billingual to being monolingual. No isoko person knows the meaning of those towns not even the ones currently occupying it or calling it their homeland and that's why communities like anibeze, osikwenike which is the headquarters of a kingdom called okugbe isoko which should loosely be translated as united isoko kingdom or unity or something like that together with abuetor and they currently unilingual communities . Other communities in ndokwa east like umuti are also entirely isoko speaking largely due to the same process. Asaba ase is the most recent of such as some of the migrations were in the 1900's but the community is billingual and shifting towards the latter. Some isoko communities like igbuku might still have a relic of ukwale heritage as a few of it's inhabitants are billingual in kwale and isoko with the isoko being by far more dominant and it's even neighbouring to Aboh and it's one of the few isoko communities to have a masquerade, something quite alien in isoko tradition and culture, ogbokiri ama should be of ijaw origin that probably went through same process. Many other purely isoko communities also exist in ndokwa east such as ibrede which is one of the largest communities in the local government, awa,onogbokor and many I can't recall. Isoko people should be anywhere from 15 to 25% in ndokwa east and possibly more as their communities are more densely populated than that of the ndokwas and with a higher birth rate plus an increasing migrant community in kwale communities like Aboh.
Unlike itsekiri and ijaw people that would have renamed the settlement into their native tongue they'll rather maintain it or butcher it's pronunciation for communities like ewho okrafor(okafor) in ndokwa east.

Concerning the uniqueness of isoko from their urhobo brothers, I don't think it was caused by migrants from outsiders. Isoko areas might have expanded into ukwale territories. The founder of ozoro which is arguably one of the largest isoko town is a bini prince named "opute". So it might not be wrong to conclude there was a migration into neighbouring territories of other ethnicity but it had very minimal effect on the language as there's hardly any serious dialectical difference between isoko communities as it should have been due to degree of influence from the other language from one community to another. Even dialects of anibeze,osikwenike, umuti which were probably founded by non isoko people are extremely uniform with anywhere else in isoko territory or even billingual communities like asaba ase. The truth is that as a stranger crossing from isoko communities in the core isoko local governments to those in bayelsa and ndokwa east you wouldn't know you already left any of the isoko local governments. The slight difference in language isn't particularly due to outsiders, for instance the Isoko word for play is Zaro while neighbouring ughelli areas should sule or something like that but it's exactly the same as that of Isoko in far away uwvie urhobo areas although Isoko and urhobo of ughelli areas/their prestige dialect I guess are more similar than urhobo of udu,sapele etc I have no idea of those of ethiope. Ethnic difference between the two ethnicity are so very blurred that communities such as evreni and uwheru were originally isoko communities but are now of urhobo ethnic nationality today. Isoko proper is older than urhobo as the oldest of the 5 languages that makes up the urhobo-isoko dialect continuum is part of isoko,According to some isoko quarters, most of their communities migrated from isoko areas.

Odionlogbo is a form of gerontocracy which is common in majority but not all of the isoko communities and ukwale areas where it is called okpala ukwu. Odion is elder while ologbo should be big and is loosely translated as the oldest person which it actually is as they believe wisdom comes with age, while a few isoko communities have Ovies which is a monarchical system as is more common with our urhobo brothers. I have no idea of what ezelogbo means but it should suggest something of a high king or something along that line

Cc Idiko1
Efewestern
Igboid aka pazienza

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 12:43am On Dec 26, 2021
darfay:

I just saw this thread and I'll try to give an honest befitting answer devoid of ethnic sentiment

Concerning the afformentioned communities, The deductive truth is that they were originally founded by ukwale/ndokwa people but they accepted migrants from neighbouring isoko communities considering the fact that isokoland is much smaller than ndokwaland which is also sparsely populated. The isoko migrants out numbered their earlier ukwani settlers and the towns/villages/settlements moved from being billingual to being monolingual. No isoko person knows the meaning of those towns not even the ones currently occupying it or calling it their homeland and that's why communities like anibeze, osikwenike which is the headquarters of a kingdom called okugbe isoko which should loosely be translated as united isoko kingdom or unity or something like that together with abuetor and they currently unilingual communities . Other communities in ndokwa east like umuti are also entirely isoko speaking largely due to the same process. Asaba ase is the most recent of such as some of the migrations were in the 1900's but the community is billingual and shifting towards the latter. Some isoko communities like igbuku might still have a relic of ukwale heritage as a few of it's inhabitants are billingual in kwale and isoko with the isoko being by far more dominant and it's even neighbouring to Aboh and it's one of the few isoko communities to have a masquerade, something quite alien in isoko tradition and culture, ogbokiri ama should be of ijaw origin that probably went through same process. Many other purely isoko communities also exist in ndokwa east such as ibrede which is one of the largest communities in the local government, awa,onogbokor and many I can't recall. Isoko people should be anywhere from 15 to 25% in ndokwa east and possibly more as their communities are more densely populated than that of the ndokwas and with a higher birth rate plus an increasing migrant community in kwale communities like Aboh.
Unlike itsekiri and ijaw people that would have renamed the settlement into their native tongue they'll rather maintain it or butcher it's pronunciation for communities like ewho okrafor(okafor) in ndokwa east.

Concerning the uniqueness of isoko from their urhobo brothers, I don't think it was caused by migrants from outsiders. Isoko areas might have expanded into ukwale territories. The founder of ozoro which is arguably one of the largest isoko town is a bini prince named "opute". So it might not be wrong to conclude there was a migration into neighbouring territories of other ethnicity but it had very minimal effect on the language as there's hardly any serious dialectical difference between isoko communities as it should have been due to degree of influence from the other language from one community to another. Even dialects of anibeze,osikwenike, umuti which were probably founded by non isoko people are extremely uniform with anywhere else in isoko territory or even billingual communities like asaba ase. The truth is that as a stranger crossing from isoko communities in the core isoko local governments to those in bayelsa and ndokwa east you wouldn't know you already left any of the isoko local governments. The slight difference in language isn't particularly due to outsiders, for instance the Isoko word for play is Zaro while neighbouring ughelli areas should sule or something like that but it's exactly the same as that of Isoko in far away uwvie urhobo areas although Isoko and urhobo of ughelli areas/their prestige dialect I guess are more similar than urhobo of udu,sapele etc I have no idea of those of ethiope. Ethnic difference between the two ethnicity are so very blurred that communities such as evreni and uwheru were originally isoko communities but are now of urhobo ethnic nationality today. Isoko proper is older than urhobo as the oldest of the 5 languages that makes up the urhobo-isoko dialect continuum is part of isoko,According to some isoko quarters, most of their communities migrated from isoko areas.

Odionlogbo is a form of gerontocracy which is common in majority but not all of the isoko communities and ukwale areas where it is called okpala ukwu. Odion is elder while ologbo should be big and is loosely translated as the oldest person which it actually is as they believe wisdom comes with age, while a few isoko communities have Ovies which is a monarchical system as is more common with our urhobo brothers. I have no idea of what ezelogbo means but it should suggest something of a high king or something along that line

Cc Idiko1
Efewestern
Igboid aka pazienza
your write up is made up of epic of ignorance. First of all you don't even know that most urhobo communities migrates from Isoko land such as ugheli, okpe, sapele and so on.
Concerned isoko and igbo Communities of ndokwa, you don't have any knowledge or you are just kidding....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by LordKushmann(m): 12:26pm On Feb 10, 2022
isokomarine:
what makes you think so
Because i know Igbo very well and i can give you the equivalent of each word there in Igbo. You will cross check for yourself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Moment Tinubu Couldn't Climb The Stage And Was Lifted By Guards / How Lebanese & Chinese Are Making It In Nigeria But Our People Are Struggling / Senate Mandates All MDAs to Remit 100% of IGR to Consolidated Revenue Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.