Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,981 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception (8385 Views)

The Misconception About Votes From Northern Nigeria / Here Is The Man That Caused Disunity Among Yoruba And Igbo People / FFK: "Nnamdi Kanu Kept On Naval Warship Off The Coast Of Bayelsa By Buhari" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Vintagepipes: 8:58pm On Sep 08, 2021
JANK23H:

Now I see your problem.Go back and read that journal publication again. Ibani elders refused to teach the language,they preferred to communicate with the language of the slaves.At the time,the felt strangers not understanding Ibani was to their disadvantage.

Well...we now know the consequences of that action.Igbo became the predominant language, that's why ignoramuses like you would say Ibani is an Igbo language.

I'm giving you this assignment.Submit on Monday,not more than 20 pages.IBANI LANGUAGE: IGBO THREAT AND NEAR EXTINCTION.

Please, can you bring proof? bring historical facts. I believe most of us went to school. for example, this is a book researched in the last 1800s. The most comprehensive book written on the people of the lower Niger.
CC: Bkayy, Slayerforever, ChinenyeN, Ariani, Fejoku.

3 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by SlayerForever: 9:00pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

It is interesting, I found in this book compiled from 1800s and published in 1906 was one of the most thorough works done on the the people of the Lower Niger.

The Okrikans elders were interviewed in the 1800s and they claim that their ancestors came from Afam in Igbo land.
CC; Bkayy, slayerforever, Ariani.

Wowwwwww!!!!! Can you see Brass?? ?? ??
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Taba21: 9:00pm On Sep 08, 2021
jimyjames:

What is the Royal title in isoko language? , you can't just say , his royal majesty without calling the Royal title in isoko language

What does royal title got to do with the message

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2021
JANK23H:

Now I see your problem.Go back and read that journal publication again. Ibani elders refused to teach the language,they preferred to communicate with the language of the slaves.At the time,the felt strangers not understanding Ibani was to their disadvantage.

Well...we now know the consequences of that action.Igbo became the predominant language, that's why ignoramuses like you would say Ibani is an Igbo language.

I'm giving you this assignment.Submit on Monday,not more than 20 pages.IBANI LANGUAGE: IGBO THREAT AND NEAR EXTINCTION.
Chai.
See how Alagoa reduced a full grown up human being to a Caricature.
There is no place or event in history where a master communicates with a foreign expatriate in the language of his slaves when the expatriate is not from the slave country
Sorry I omitted. I didn't realise it was from the Alagoa article of 1972 that reduced you all to a mockery.
Ibn Rashid Al Maktoum said and I quote "The conquered always copy the Conquerors language, Motto, religion and Culture"

The fact still remains that there is no recorded account from the slave Captains, Pepple House, Jaja, other notable families in the south, Brass People, New Calabar, etc that points to Ijaw existing or being living with any of Ubani, Brass, Okirika or New Calabar.
Apart from Brass, the rest have Igbo DNA and Fingerprint all over them, especially Okirika and Ubani

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Taba21: 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

I’m not Bini, but isoko.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 9:04pm On Sep 08, 2021
SlayerForever:

Na him one man come here dey tell reasonable people that Brass is Ijaw.
What is Ijaw?
Ndi mmadu sef

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Vintagepipes: 9:07pm On Sep 08, 2021
SlayerForever:

Yes, in the researched book, Brass was treated as separate entity from the Ijos.

In this account, James Spiff, the chief of the Brass people was angry with the Ijos for paying homage and worshiping the Aros for eliminating smallpox. It seems like he has some beef with the Ijo for their servitude to the Aros.
I believe the Spiff's beef no be today.
CC: Bkayy.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by SlayerForever: 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2021
Let me add here that while strolvideo the internet last night I saw a video from Brass, made earlier in the week from that attack. In the video a young man can be seen agitating in the background while putting on our okpu agu.

A little detail I decided to overlook in that video. I'm just mentioning for people who say the youths who attacked the palace are from elsewhere.

Another thing I came across was a picture from Brass in 2018 showing total compliance to the IPOB sit at home order. I just took a mental of that information. I will reinvestigate. later.

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by SlayerForever: 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

Yes, in the researched book, Brass was treated as separate entity from the Ijos.

In this account, James Spiff, the chief of the Brass people was angry with the Ijos for paying homage and worshiping the Aros for eliminating smallpox. It seems like he has some beef with the Ijo for their servitude to the Aros.

History!

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 9:10pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

Early 1900 (20th) century when they have started been integrated into peoples land.
Even at that time until 1970, Brass was an independent Country.
A full country on her own.

This particular page you just posted, a little bit further down of it, the man described Ijo people as a group of people that sit and drink Ogogoro all day. That they are infatuated with the hot drink (Ogogoro)

3 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Vintagepipes: 9:17pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

Early 1900 (20th) century when they have started been integrated into peoples land.

This particular page you just posted, a little bit further down of it, the man described Ijo people as a group of people that sit and drink Ogogoro all day. That they are infatuated with the hot drink (Ogogoro)
I do not mean to be insulting though but yeah, they were described that they quarrel, amongst themselves and amongst strangers. That they would drink Ogogoro and then become suicidal.

Here is an excerpt.

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Vintagepipes: 9:19pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

True, Okirika, Kalabari, Brass were all regarded as independent tribes.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 9:19pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

I do not mean to be insulting though but yeah, they were described that they quarrel, amongst themselves and amongst strangers. That they would drink Ogogoro and then become suicidal.

Here is an excerpt.
See the way he reported about their daily life style, "drinking two bottles of gin" to get set for the day.
Two full bottles of Ogogoro.
Chai

3 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by JANK23H(m): 9:21pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

Chai.
See how Alagoa reduced a full grown up human being to a Caricature.
There is no place or event in history where a master communicates with a foreign expatriate in the language of his slaves when the expatriate is not from the slave country
Sorry I omitted. I didn't realise it was from the Alagoa article of 1972 that reduced you all to a mockery.
Ibn Rashid Al Maktoum said and I quote

"The conquered always copy the Conquerors language, Motto, religion and Culture"

The fact still remains that there is no recorded account from the slave Captains, Pepple House, Jaja, other notable families in the south, Brass People, New Calabar, etc that points to Ijaw existing or being living with any of Ubani, Brass, Okirika or New Calabar.
Apart from Brass, the rest have Igbo DNA and Fingerprint all over them, especially Okirika and Ubani

Use this as one of the review materials for your assignment.

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2013/03/04/lg-chairmen-set-to-develop-ibani-language-curriculum/

Until it's ready, don't me quote again. angry

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Vintagepipes: 9:23pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

In this excerpt, okrika elders were interviewed and ethnography done and it showed that Okrika people claimed that their ancestors were Igbos

5 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 9:25pm On Sep 08, 2021
JANK23H:

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2013/03/04/lg-chairmen-set-to-develop-ibani-language-curriculum/

"Rivers State 2012" seriously?

3 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by melodyogonna(m): 9:28pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

I’m a female. Why should I lie?
grin which kyn thing be this

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Yves4real(f): 9:29pm On Sep 08, 2021
oyatz:

Iye (Yoruba)= Iye (Bini) = Mother= Aye/Iye (Igbo)= Woman

Orisha/Oosha (Yoruba)= Oritse(Itsekiri)= Osaa (Bini) = olise (Ika)= Olisa (Igbo).

Osadebe (Edo)= Osadebe (Igbo)= Olisadebe.

Orishajenfo (Yoruba) = Oritsejafor (Itsekiri)= 'The gods allowed me to talk' or more contextually, the 'gods have given me voice'

Omo (Yoruba) = Omo (Bini) = Oma (Itsekiri) = Rumu (Ikwerre)= Umu (Igbo).

Akin (Yoruba) = Aken( Bini)= Iken (Itsekiri) = Ike (Igbo) = Warrior/ Power depending on the context.

Akinbuwa/Akenzua/ Ikengbuwa ?

Na wah o.
With these names used by different ethnic groups, it will be hard to lay claim of certain regions just because their names are spelt same as those answered by your tribe.
I just had to use Google to find out the history of Isoko and I got many conflicting reports.
Some said they are from Niger-Congo, others had something else written.
Below is the link of the one I may agree with because the writer is of Isoko extraction due to his name.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Nigeria/States_Nigeria/Delta/History-of-Isoko-Kingdom-in-Delta-State.html%23:~:text%3DNIGERIA%2520%253E%253E%2520Delta%2520%253E%2520Isoko%2520Kingdom%26text%3DThe%2520oral%2520history%2520has%2520it,senior)%2520Uzere%252C%2520and%2520Okpe.&ved=2ahUKEwia3f7BlfDyAhXk0eAKHdHkDTEQFnoECAUQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2Ycx2NmYwfJuxTE-C4dwW1

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 9:33pm On Sep 08, 2021
Yves4real:

Na wah o.
With these names used by different ethnic groups, it will be hard to lay claim of certain regions just because their names are spelt same as those answered by your tribe.
I just had to use Google to find out the history of Isoko and I got many conflicting reports.
Some said they are from Niger-Congo, others have something else written.
Below is the link of the one I may agree with because the writer is of Isoko extraction due to his name.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Nigeria/States_Nigeria/Delta/History-of-Isoko-Kingdom-in-Delta-State.html%23:~:text%3DNIGERIA%2520%253E%253E%2520Delta%2520%253E%2520Isoko%2520Kingdom%26text%3DThe%2520oral%2520history%2520has%2520it,senior)%2520Uzere%252C%2520and%2520Okpe.&ved=2ahUKEwia3f7BlfDyAhXk0eAKHdHkDTEQFnoECAUQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2Ycx2NmYwfJuxTE-C4dwW1
The issue most of you have with history is that you go for folk tales instead of recorded, archaeological and relationship reports.
What you read is just folk tales. It is in the same category as that of Oduduwa falling from the sky, Eri travelling from Israel and so on.
It is not history but story. Not for academic purposes.
Nowadays, they make out a column for it and classify it as folklore

5 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Fejoku: 9:40pm On Sep 08, 2021
JANK23H:

The slaves to most Niger Delta tribes making themselves important.You should be thankful to the British for making you all relevant.
Stop typing rubbish. If not for Igbos, the few recognition Ijaws got would never have been so. Only two cities gave you lots the little history you have today. Both Palm oil and slave trade was possible because of Igbos. Bonny and Opobo became famous because of Igbos. The only Ijaw pure Ijaw town reckoned in history is Akassa. Jaja the greatest king of the Niger Delta is Igbo and his descendant remains the head of all chiefs in Rivers state. Stop yapping shit about Ndigbo.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by SlayerForever: 9:41pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

Here is an excerpt.

Damn undecided

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by SlayerForever: 9:56pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

The issue most of you have with history is that you go for folk tales instead of recorded, archaeological and relationship reports.
What you read is just folk tales
. It is in the same category as that of Oduduwa falling from the sky, Eri travelling from Israel and so on.
It is not history but story. Not for academic purposes.
Nowadays, they make out a column for it and classify it as folklore

This is what distinguishes some people from the others here on Nairaland.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 10:03pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

It is interesting, I found in this book compiled from 1800s and published in 1906 was one of the most thorough works done on the the people of the Lower Niger.

The Okrikans elders were interviewed in the 1800s and they claim that their ancestors came from Afam in Igbo land.
CC; Bkayy, slayerforever, Ariani.

Anyone if a mildly reasonable level of education and travel will see it and experience it. thanks for sharing this, any links to the full document?

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 10:03pm On Sep 08, 2021
oyatz:

Orisha/Oosha (Yoruba)= Oritse(Itsekiri)= Osaa (Bini) = olise (Ika)= Olisa (Igbo).

Orishajenfo (Yoruba) = Oritsejafor (Itsekiri)= 'The gods allowed me to talk' or more contextually, the 'gods have given me voice'

Akin (Yoruba) = Aken( Bini)= Iken (Itsekiri) = Ike (Igbo) = Warrior/ Power depending on the context.

No Ikwerre person, dead or living, has ever said 'Rumu' in a sentence lol. Hapu that one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Fejoku: 10:08pm On Sep 08, 2021
JANK23H:

That your text from Prof. Jones Alali is as funny as hell. It is this same madness of trying to claim Ndoki that triggered me into researching about the entire Ijaw claims. Today I know so much about them and can clearly see their original boundaries. It is very shameful for a so called Prof to resort to such low-level of claiming a people who are 100% unrelated to you. Ndokis have no land boundary with Ijaws. They don't speak any language similar to Ijaw neither do they share any cultural practice with Ijaws. Rather it is their culture that have influenced Bonny till this day. How then can this prof claim them to be Ijaws? I have been to Ndokiland on at least 3 occasions and their Igbo is as clear as the clearest Igbo dialect of southern Igboland.
You yourself can take a trip to Ukwa East in Abia state where you will find the Ndokis to make your own findings.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Idiko1: 10:11pm On Sep 08, 2021
isokomarine:
Isoko Communities in Bayelsa state, they formed ward 14, constituency 3 of sagbama local government area, most of them are Osekwenike , Abuetor , Ogbokiri-ama , Osifo , Ikpide, Kanan, Anibeze, these communities are called okugbe isoko Kingdom which is being ruled by His Royal Majesty Dr. Frank okorakpo,
We believe we conclusively proved to the general public that it was completely mistaken in the allegations, we are therefore disappointed to read from this forum the submissions by the Ndigbo claim over Osekwenike and Abuetor.
No individual or group can coerced the Isoko land into igbo self claim territory or any other territories,
The isoko nation will resist any attempted to annex any isoko community, the attempt to steal the Isoko ancestral land by any ethnic group. Must stop immediately or such action will be considered as act of war.

There is nothing remotely about the after-Nigeria/Biafra-war ethnicity such as Isoko in the bolded. Osakwenike, Abuetor, Ama-Ogbokiri and Anibueze (Anibeze) have no bearing in the silly Isoko.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Vintagepipes: 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2021
Ofodirinwa:

Anyone if a mildly reasonable level of education and travel will see it and experience it. thanks for sharing this, any links to the full document?

The Lower Niger and its Tribes. By Major Arthur Glyn Leonard. Published (1906) by
Mcmillan, London.

I believe you can find the eCopy on archives dot org. It's been a while I got access to the book.

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 10:37pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

The Lower Niger and its Tribes. By Major Arthur Glyn Leonard. Published (1906) by
Mcmillan, London.

I believe you can find the eCopy on archives dot org. It's been a while I got access to the book.

Thank you!
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 10:39pm On Sep 08, 2021
oyatz:

forgot to thank you for sharing this
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 10:46pm On Sep 08, 2021
Vintagepipes:

Please, can you bring proof? bring historical facts. I believe most of us went to school. for example, this is a book researched in the last 1800s. The most comprehensive book written on the people of the lower Niger.
CC: Bkayy, Slayerforever, ChinenyeN, Ariani, Fejoku.

Nna, the way this your receipts dey yapa

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by jimyjames(m): 11:00pm On Sep 08, 2021
Taba21:

What does royal title got to do with the message
It has everything to do with the Royal title

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Jonathan: There Will Be Credible Elections In 2023 / Boko Haram Not Holding Any Nigerian Territory - Buhari / See Port Harcourt Waterfronts- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.