Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap (25646 Views)

Which Network Is The Most Cost-effective For Data In Nigeria? / Cost Of 1Gb Of Data In Every Country / Nigerians Outside Nigeria, What's The Cost Of Data In Your Resident Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 09, 2021
nairaman66:

That’s were population and purchasing power comes in. Malawi doesn’t have an open economy like Nigeria, I can assume they don’t even have competition for data rates as well.

Let’s not be quick to make computation without even thinking clearly like most people on this forum who are very quick to compare Nigeria vs America.

So, why is OP comparing Nigeria to America? Or you didn't notice it..

Look....data is cheap here. Very cheap. What we should be doing to make it cheaper is to find ways of bringing in more and more investors...so that competition crashes the price a la India.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Skillsnigeria: 2:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
True talk
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by PipulTv1: 2:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
benqo01:

What is it all about?
It's an IPTV broadcast company that has removed data access cost for Nigerians.
Meaning you don't need to buy data to watch after subscribing. It's Unlimited for the entire duration of your subscription.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by mfm04622: 2:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:
Someone did a thread showing the cost of data around the world in Dollars and some concluded from the thread that Data is cheap in Nigeria. This is not true at all. Data in Nigeria, like many other things, e.g. fuel. food stuff, is not cheap, but expensive. Very expensive!

Those who make these comparisons are only pushing out a false narrative based on false comparisons. What makes a product cheap or expensive is not the price tag on the product but the purchasing power of the buyers. Let's take a simple example.

In the USA, cost of 1GB of data is, according to the data available, $8.00, while in Nigeria, cost of 1Gb of data is around $2.3. Nigeria looks cheaper right? Wrong!

Someone looks at this as then says data is cheaper in Nigeria. But that is a wrong conclusion from a false comparison. The simple way to know which is cheaper is to bring in the buying power of the buyers.

In the USA, the average wage per month is $2730, while in Nigeria, the average wage is N30000 = $58. So without looking too far, a Nigerian who collects his wage will be able to purchase with his full salary, 58 / 2.3 = 25GB, while an American who collects his wage will be able to purchase, with his full salary, 2730 / 8.00 = 341GB

So how is it cheaper for the Nigerian? In fact, A Nigerian who collects minimum wage will spent it all on one bag of rice and transport home while an American who collects his minimum wage can buy 20 bags of rice and still have lots of change left.

I can go on and on and on, comparing products and services but the point is clear. Don't let anyone fool you that anything is cheap in Nigeria. Things are astronomically expensive in Nigeria right now

Na your own be that!
Next time when you calculate the average income, also calculate the average cost of living. Do Nigerians spend $1,000 per WEEK on rent? What about other basic things.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Decency2020(f): 2:29pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:
Someone did a thread showing the cost of data around the world in Dollars and some concluded from the thread that Data is cheap in Nigeria. This is not true at all. Data in Nigeria, like many other things, e.g. fuel. food stuff, is not cheap, but expensive. Very expensive!

Those who make these comparisons are only pushing out a false narrative based on false comparisons. What makes a product cheap or expensive is not the price tag on the product but the purchasing power of the buyers. Let's take a simple example.

In the USA, cost of 1GB of data is, according to the data available, $8.00, while in Nigeria, cost of 1Gb of data is around $2.3. Nigeria looks cheaper right? Wrong!

Someone looks at this as then says data is cheaper in Nigeria. But that is a wrong conclusion from a false comparison. The simple way to know which is cheaper is to bring in the buying power of the buyers.

In the USA, the average wage per month is $2730, while in Nigeria, the average wage is N30000 = $58. So without looking too far, a Nigerian who collects his wage will be able to purchase with his full salary, 58 / 2.3 = 25GB, while an American who collects his wage will be able to purchase, with his full salary, 2730 / 8.00 = 341GB

So how is it cheaper for the Nigerian? In fact, A Nigerian who collects minimum wage will spent it all on one bag of rice and transport home while an American who collects his minimum wage can buy 20 bags of rice and still have lots of change left.

I can go on and on and on, comparing products and services but the point is clear. Don't let anyone fool you that anything is cheap in Nigeria. Things are astronomically expensive in Nigeria right now

Bro save yourself some troubles, I hade already finished the op in that his thread . Below is me putting him in his place

https://www.nairaland.com/6741853/cost-1gb-data-every-country/2#105642765
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Pierocash(m): 2:30pm On Sep 09, 2021
Techguy96:

Now how many people earn 10k dollars a month in Nigeria, are they up to 1000?
look at what you are saying. Private jet owners in Nigeria are more than 1000,not to talk of ordinary $10k. Millions of legit workers in Naija earn far more than that. It is the population of the poor ones that makes it look like almost all Nigerians are poor,but that is not true.

Even in those countries you are talking about, the people earning $5k dollars a month are not also much compared to those who earn less than that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by PAWG(m): 2:31pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

1MB = 667 Naira ~ $1.23

Minimum wage per month in US is $1300

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by BeboNGN: 2:31pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:
Things aren't actually expensive in Nigeria compared to other advanced countries. It is the purchasing power that differs.

There are people in Nigeria who earn over $10k dollars a month. If such people travel out of Nigeria to the USA,he will come back to tell you that cost of living in Nigeria is way too cheaper compared to the US.

I will rather earn $1k a month in Nigeria,than to earn $3k-$5k in America
How many Nigerians average Nigerians earn $1k a month
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by simhosting: 2:32pm On Sep 09, 2021
Ok
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by stagger: 2:33pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:
Things aren't actually expensive in Nigeria compared to other advanced countries. It is the purchasing power that differs.

There are people in Nigeria who earn over $10k dollars a month. If such people travel out of Nigeria to the USA,he will come back to tell you that cost of living in Nigeria is way too cheaper compared to the US.

You hit the nail on the head. Cost of living in Nigeria is lower than Ghana, far lower than Senegal and other French African countries where the cost of goods and services is pegged to the Euro.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by nairaman66(m): 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

So, why is OP comparing Nigeria to America? Or you didn't notice it..

Look....data is cheap here. Very cheap. What we should be doing to make it cheaper is to find ways of bringing in more and more investors...so that competition crashes the price a la India.

The false equivalence in the OP’s statements is exposed through these;

1. Overseas there are minimum or no downtime for data access.

2. Data companies overseas are true to their words- UNLIMITED DATA does not have a threshold like we do in Nigeria.

3. Power supply stability- You are able to access data anytime of the day due to constant electric supply. We do not have power here in Nigeria.

4. No flimsy, network disruptions overseas! You know what we have here in Nigeria..!

5. Security- The list goes on and on...

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by jericco1(m): 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:

You are smart

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by mecussey(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

Thats why I advise people to Japa live or by internet. Make sure you buy and sell in $$ and boycott UAR completely. When you earn in USD, you will love Nigeria but if you earn in Naira, thats sorrow. Most so called Yahoo boys beg for alms online but because, the alms comes in USD, they get rich. Someone can easily dash you 3k$ but its 1.5m here. Brothers and sisters, channel your energy online if Visa no gree come.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
[s]But this your analysis is RUBBISH.

What has purchasing power got to do with internet data.

That same data showed that India had the cheapest data because of lot of competitors. Is the purchasing power of india more than the United states

The cost of data is expensive in the United states because of monopoly not because of purchasing power[/s]
You should actually be kicked out of this place. Your posits are only fit for worthless BMC whatsapp groups. How can you ask what has purchasing power got to do with data? Is data shared for free? Don't people pay for it? Can an almajiri on the streets of Kano, or an individual in an IDP camp afford to pay for even dirt cheap data? Can someone who is struggling to survive on 30k a month with rising costs, afford to splurge on data to access the web conveniently?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nikkganc08(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:

Why will u earn $1k a month in Nigeria?

Is that ur currency?

U r just making comparisons as if u r holding a wrap of Indian hemp on d other hand.

If u want to compare, say ...

Its better I earn 300,000naira in Nigeria than to earn 5,000 $ in America.

If I'm to choose, I'll go with living & earning In America.

There's more to life than just money.

U wake 100% sure that no Fulani man will kill u.

U hear good discussions and not discussions revolving around cows, opening a ministry for cows, grazing routes for cows, RUGA, etc.

When ur right is abused, u can call d police n trust their decisions.

As a Nigerian, I'm even scared of buying a car cos I still look young (I'm 28).

Cos its either the police arrests u and say u r an IPOB guy (then steal ur car while u remain in prison)

Or they call u a yahoo boy.

Or they plant Indian hemp in ur car , then still accuse n arrest u.

Try googling "list of failed states"

You'll see Nigeria on d list.

Nigeria is a failed state.

But I still love my country Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.
God bless our darling president.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by abdsamad(m): 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2021
MikeMicheal:
I dont think 3k for 10gb is high.

Yeah, cos you're used to it.

Example: Mtn data costs 10k for 40gb per month. That's 120k in a year for 480gb.

If you get the yearly plan though, 100k gives 1000gb. This means 10k would be giving you 83gb.

So here's the question: what's the actual value of that 10k data? Is it 40gb or 80gb. That 100k plan is not a giveaway for them, I'm sure.
The actual value of that 10k plan is probably closer to 100gb+. We are so conditioned to the current system (and most of us have nothing to compare it to) it seems fair that we're paying what we currently do.
And they'll come out with some"bonuses" which we consider generous when they're in fact just handing down a trickle of what they've looted

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by benqo01(m): 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2021
PipulTv1:

Meaning you don't need to buy data to watch after subscribing. It's Unlimited for the entire duration of your subscription.

That's nice let me read more about it
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by orikoku: 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2021
If you don't know, you don't know. I sub 24gb every month for 3500 MTN.

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by tmtech: 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:

A job that will earn you 1k dollars in Nigeria will earn you more than 3-5k dollar in the US.. and don't forget the quality of life you will also live .. unless that doesn't matter to you.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by bizzibodi(m): 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2021
The painful thing is data don't last even you switch it off.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

You should actually be kicked out of this place. Your posits are only fit for worthless BMC whatsapp groups. How can you ask what has purchasing power got to do with data? Is data shared for free? Don't people pay for it? Can an almajiri on the streets of Kano, or an individual in an IDP camp afford to pay for even dirt cheap data? Can someone who is struggling to survive on 30k a month with rising costs, afford to splurge on data to access the web conveniently?

Is the data you are using priced in dollar?

How come India has a cheaper data price than the United states.

Is the purchasing power of the indian rupee more than the purchasing power of the United states dollar.

Stop arguing like you drank ogogoro
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by rhythyson: 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

How can something be unlimited and still have data cap?

The cap na for incase of rain or too much sun. make i ask wetin cap do you? grin grin grin
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by benqo01(m): 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2021
PipulTv1:

Is there an app for it I will be very interested
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by donforeign: 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2021
Happened:
cool

Am using hyflex net ... By MTN.

Cost 20k per month ... Is unlimited.

120GB Data Cap !!!

After your data don finish ... The speed reduces to 520kb/s.

Is indeed unlimited.

Written by Illikannu Donald Chukwuma

WiFi.ng is better
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2021
tmtech:

A job that will earn you 1k dollars in Nigeria will earn you more than 3-5k dollar in the US.. and don't forget the quality of life you will also live .. unless that doesn't matter to you.

That is because higher cost of living
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by adewad13(m): 2:45pm On Sep 09, 2021
Please....stop this comparism
Do not add to the poor masses injury.
Enough of this heart trembling topic.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by DoctorStylish: 2:46pm On Sep 09, 2021
Data in Nigeria is expensive not only that but corruption also took part in the whole scenario. its funny how everyone is comparing abroad with Nigeria. Can you compare Nigerias shitty broadband abi bandwidth speed with that of abroad .can you compare minimum wage and affordability of data in those countries. With the equivalent of 3000 naira in some parts of europe you probably get unlimited data for a month . Operating on weak infrastructure and still charging people alot on top data is just nonsense.
a favor go and see how much airtel sells their data bundle in India and then
the last time i checked 1gb in nigeria is much like 500mb or less in other countries
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Fuckyoumod: 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:
The cost of data in Malawi is $27 In Nigeria it is $1.31...for the same one gig

Then the minimum wage in both countries is the same.

In Chad it is $23...where their minimum wage is N47000 Or 116 dollars.

The cost of 1 g data in the Central African republic can chop one quarter of your income.....here in Nigeria it is much less.

I think the problem is, anyone who points out the fact that data is cheap in Nigeria is perceived as arguing for higher prices. That's not true.

Anyway, the argument we should really be having is the modalities they use in setting the price for data. That's what we should be asking.

Modified

OP is being clever by half. He compared Nigeria to the US...meanwhile, there are many African countries that charge higher for data than even the USA....and OP did not put them on his list because he knows it would defeat his argument..especially as minimum wage in many African countries is about the same as, or less than Nigeria..
which of the dollars you dey use run your semi literate statistics? Nigerian dollar, U.S dollar or Malawian dollar.
Come to think of it, of all countries na chad and Malawi you dey use run statics with Nigeria?

No vex which school you go? Because I no sure say you finish JSS3.
And you are try to counter a very intelligent and incite analysis with this your illiterate statics. Come on hide your face! You no know anything.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by socialmediaman: 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2021
nairaman66:

That’s were population and purchasing power comes in. Malawi doesn’t have an open economy like Nigeria, I can assume they don’t even have competition for data rates as well.

Let’s not be quick to make computation without even thinking clearly like most people on this forum who are very quick to compare Nigeria vs America.

Take Cambodia for example. Their population is 16 million (Nigeria is 201 million), their minimum wage is N72,000 (Nigeria is 30,000). The cost of 1GB data is $2.00 (Nigeria is $2.74). From your summary they have more purchasing power which means they can afford higher rates, and less population which means less competition. So why isn't their data more expensive?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by jamace(m): 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2021
MikeMicheal:
I dont think 3k for 10gb is high.
Level pass level, my bro.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

[s]Is the data you are using priced in dollar?

How come India has a cheaper data price than the United states.

Is the purchasing power of the indian rupee more than the purchasing power of the United states dollar.

Stop arguing like you drank ogogoro[/s]
There is something called a benchmark. Your country's trade, earnings, standard of living & economy, is benchmarked against the dollars. It's why your country is the poverty capital of the world because a majority of the citizens live on less than $1 a day. So your question is preposterous and a foolish one.

The purchasing power of an American means they can conveniently afford data while the purchasing power of Nigerians, have continued to dwindle since the despotic Buhari came to power, which means data, food, living, is becoming more expensive as more and more Nigerians take a hit in their income.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2021
Fuckyoumod:
which of the dollars you dey you run your semi literate statistics? Nigerian dollar, U.S dollar or Malawian dollar.

US dollars, of course...which is what was used in the original chart. Malawi uses kwacha...not dollars.

No vex which school you go?

Irrelevant to the discussion

And you are try to counter a very intelligent and incite analysis with this your illiterate statics. Come on hide your face! You no know anything.

If my discussion is dull...why do you feel threatened by it?

By the way, good afternoon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Add Facebook Friends To Your Whatsapp / Generic P35 Pro - 6gb Ram Phone Under 31,000 Naira / I Need A Phone With Sharp Camera With Good Battery Life For 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.