Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,729 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap (25619 Views)

Which Network Is The Most Cost-effective For Data In Nigeria? / Cost Of 1Gb Of Data In Every Country / Nigerians Outside Nigeria, What's The Cost Of Data In Your Resident Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2021
samsard:
What's the correlation between having less than 1000 people earning 5.2/month and being the poverty capital?
There are more millionaires in Nigeria than you think.
There are millionaires everywhere, even in war torn Afghanistan. There is a strong correlation between having less or more than 1000 people earning 5.2 million and being the poverty capital of the world because that figure is negligible. The disparity in income, wages & living standards, which puts over 80 million Nigerians in excruciating poverty, the other lower millions are those above the povertyline and the almost non existent middle class, means that the elite is a negligible minority.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:
The cost of data in Malawi is $27 In Nigeria it is $1.31...for the same one gig

Then the minimum wage in both countries is the same.

In Chad it is $23...where their minimum wage is N47000 Or 116 dollars.

The cost of 1 g data in the Central African republic can chop one quarter of your income.....here in Nigeria it is much less.

I think the problem is, anyone who points out the fact that data is cheap in Nigeria is perceived as arguing for higher prices. That's not true.

Anyway, the argument we should really be having is the modalities they use in setting the price for data. That's what we should be asking.

Modified

OP is being clever by half. He compared Nigeria to the US...meanwhile, there are many African countries that charge higher for data than even the USA....and OP did not put them on his list because he knows it would defeat his argument..especially as minimum wage in many African countries is about the same as, or less than Nigeria..

Modified

If you are hurt by my argument, don't be. I am not arguing for higher prices. So calm down. If we want lower prices, we need to have more GSM companies come in to invest.

Your argument is funny. How is Nigeria being cheaper or same as Malawi or Sudan a good thing? Doesn't that prove my point more? That we are as bad as the worst countries in the world?
grin
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by mfm04622: 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

Even if you come to rent, it's the same thing. The average American can pay his rent of $1000 from his salary and still have enough money to feed for the rest of the month. The average Nigerian, on the other hand, we need to save up all of his 6 months salary to pay for his rent

No matter how you look at it, it's just 6oo expensive in Nigeria
Nigeria is one of the CHEAPEST country to live in the world! One of the cheapest!
What is not subsidized in this country? PMS, electricity, water ( if available), health ( as long as person no get big issue).
Go to Benin, Togo, Ghana and see the cost of living in our neighbors. And if you compare Nigeria with the West, you will see Nigeria is cheap indeed.
Yes, the standard of living is poor, but the cost is very cheap!

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by GenAbacha(m): 3:19pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:
Things aren't actually expensive in Nigeria compared to other advanced countries. It is the purchasing power that differs.

There are people in Nigeria who earn over $10k dollars a month. If such people travel out of Nigeria to the USA,he will come back to tell you that cost of living in Nigeria is way too cheaper compared to the US.

I will rather earn $1k a month in Nigeria,than to earn $3k-$5k in America

With inflation and exchange rates, you’ll be begging for your American job back in a matter of months
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 3:19pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

[s]So what will the people use to purchase, is it with paper or with currency? Mr dumb, purchasing power is all about currency

It seems,you don't what you are talking about.

I am going ask you again, why is data cheaper in india than the United states?[/s]

Lmao! Being a Sai Babarian, is a mental disability truly. People will use currency to purchase the data but the pricing of that data vis-a-vis their earnings, is where the disparity comes to play. Americans have moved beyond talking about cheap data, as that is the least of their problems because the purchasing power of Americans means, they can afford data.

Data is cheaper in India than the United States on face value but the average American earns way more than an Indian, so that same cost of data can be covered by the earnings of an American easily, so it is not expensive to an American.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Sije(m): 3:24pm On Sep 09, 2021
Mtn data is 350 naira per gig/ 1 month

0 8 0 6 4 1 8 0 0 8 5. First 5 people wld be giving a discount rate of 300.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:26pm On Sep 09, 2021
mfm04622:

Nigeria is one of the CHEAPEST country to live in the world! One of the cheapest!
What is not subsidized in this country? PMS, electricity, water ( if available), health ( as long as person no get big issue).
Go to Benin, Togo, Ghana and see the cost of living in our neighbors. And if you compare Nigeria with the West, you will see Nigeria is cheap indeed.
Yes, the quality of living is poor, but the cost is very cheap!

How can it be cheap if we cannot afford it? You are really funny. You seem confused. We buy fuel at N162 per litre and you are telling me its subsidised? How does that make any difference to me when my salary still cannot afford it? You certainly don't know the meaning of cheap at all. Ghana? You have no clue about Ghana. Things are far cheaper in Ghana than in Nigeria. The average Ghanaian is far more comfortable than average Nigerian
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by ivolt: 3:27pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

How is it cheap if it cost me all my salary to browse the Internet in a month?

I don't think you understand the meaning of cheap
I don't think you understand the meaning of salary, its value, or economic choice.
Suppose you choose to spend all your salary on alcohol, that doesn't make alcohol expensive
for its relative use.
You just happen to value alcohol more than anything else.
Same goes for data.

No sane person will decide to double their data spending because their salary just got doubled.
People use the data they need.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Hassanmaye(m): 3:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
possibilita:
Naija data even dey finish quick
I swear sir very stupid telecommunication companies
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Hassanmaye(m): 3:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:
Things aren't actually expensive in Nigeria compared to other advanced countries. It is the purchasing power that differs.

There are people in Nigeria who earn over $10k dollars a month. If such people travel out of Nigeria to the USA,he will come back to tell you that cost of living in Nigeria is way too cheaper compared to the US.

Why
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

Lmao! Being a Sai Babarian, is a mental disability truly. People will use currency to purchase the data but the pricing of that data vis-a-vis their earnings, is where the disparity comes to play. Americans have moved beyond talking about cheap data, as that is the least of their problems because the purchasing power of Americans means, they can afford data.

Data is cheaper in India than the United States on face value but the average American earns way more than an Indian, so that same cost of data can be covered by the earnings of an American easily, so it is not expensive to an American.

Another beautiful nonsense. One single sense you no make.

So according to your logic, Americans do not want cheaper data because they can afford high prices of data in America cheesy

According to you, if they pay for higher data price, it won't hurt their pocket, it won't make them more poorer or their expenses won't increase. cheesy

So the reason data is cheaper in india is not because of lot of competition in the market but because of the baloney you wrote down. cheesy

I am very curious, Which kind school you go?

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by ivolt: 3:29pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

30k is not Nigeria's minimum wage. Its the average wage. Most SMEs pay around 30k to 40k. Only few 5op organisations pay more. And only the FG and some states have been paying this to workers in the public sector.

But even if I agree with you and use your own figures, it still doesn't take away from the point as it only makes it a little bit better. Nigeria still ends up on the high side
You did not address the fact that you made an invalid comparison when no
rational human will spend all their monthly salary on data regardless of its cost.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by NGArmyTerrorist: 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:

You're lazy dude! Good bye and I won't tell you the reason why! Thanks
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by ivolt: 3:31pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

There are millionaires everywhere, even in war torn Afghanistan. There is a strong correlation between having less or more than 1000 people earning 5.2 million and being the poverty capital of the world because that figure is negligible. The disparity in income, wages & living standards, which puts over 80 million Nigerians in excruciating poverty, the other lower millions are those above the povertyline and the almost non existent middle class, means that the elite is a negligible minority.
The elite are a negligible minority, yet, housing value continue to skyrocket in most Nigerian capitals.
I suppose, it is ghosts, those in excruciating poverty or non-existent middle class that are renting those houses.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Techguy96(m): 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:
look at what you are saying. Private jet owners in Nigeria are more than 1000,not to talk of ordinary $10k. Millions of legit workers in Naija earn far more than that. It is the population of the poor ones that makes it look like almost all Nigerians are poor,but that is not true.

Even in those countries you are talking about, the people earning $5k dollars a month are not also much compared to those who earn less than that
If more than 80 percent of Nigeria is poor then Nigeria is poor.

Most of those private jet owners are either policians or some few billionaires owning multinational companies, eg dangote.

Now how many legit workers own private jet in Nigeria, earning 5.2 million a month won't get u private jet in Nigeria.

There are more billionaires in New York than the whole of Africa yet u say Nigeria is rich, guy nor make me vex for u o

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

You are not making any point. So according to you sellers just put any price of goods and services because of purchasing power grin

Fuel is cheaper in Nigeria than in the United states but both are oil producing nations

Why is that? Is it also because of purchasing power or cost of labour

I don't think you understand basic points but let me explain it in a layman way. It is someone who is buying something that expresses that the thing is either expensive or cheap to them. It is not the seller that claims such. The seller will actually cl it a fair price but it is the buyer that says it is expensive. And the reason it is expensive to the buyer is that the buyer is considering what he or she has in their pocket to spend. So its the purchasing power that determines what is expensive or cheap. To a millionaire, for example, the so called expensive stuff may look very cheap. That is why, to an American, $8 for data looks cheap, not expensive
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by millenniumboy: 3:34pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:
The cost of data in Malawi is $27 In Nigeria it is $1.31...for the same one gig

Then the minimum wage in both countries is the same.

In Chad it is $23...where their minimum wage is N47000 Or 116 dollars.

The cost of 1 g data in the Central African republic can chop one quarter of your income.....here in Nigeria it is much less.

I think the problem is, anyone who points out the fact that data is cheap in Nigeria is perceived as arguing for higher prices. That's not true.

Anyway, the argument we should really be having is the modalities they use in setting the price for data. That's what we should be asking.

Modified

OP is being clever by half. He compared Nigeria to the US...meanwhile, there are many African countries that charge higher for data than even the USA....and OP did not put them on his list because he knows it would defeat his argument..especially as minimum wage in many African countries is about the same as, or less than Nigeria..

Modified

If you are hurt by my argument, don't be. I am not arguing for higher prices. So calm down. If we want lower prices, we need to have more GSM companies come in to invest.
why are you comparing Nigeria with backward countries like Malawi etc compare Nigeria with countries like South Africa, Egypt etc please

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by ivolt: 3:34pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

Even if you come to rent, it's the same thing. The average American can pay his rent of $1000 from his salary and still have enough money to feed for the rest of the month. The average Nigerian, on the other hand, we need to save up all of his 6 months salary to pay for his rent

No matter how you look at it, it's just 6oo expensive in Nigeria
It seems you are deliberately distorting numbers to make a point.
Who are the average Nigerian that use their 6 months salary to pay rent?
I bet you they don't exist.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Buzx: 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
samsard:
What's the correlation between having less than 1000 people earning 5.2/month and being the poverty capital?
There are more millionaires in Nigeria than you think.

You still don't get what the guy is trying to say. Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world because "majority" of it's citizens live on less than a dollar per day. Yes, some Nigerians are rich, but the question is how many percent of Nigeria's 200M population are elites? Let's say 5% are elites ( I know it is lesser than this) and earn over 5.2M in a month, can you say most Nigerians are rich?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2021
ivolt:

You did not address the fact that you made an invalid comparison when no
rational human will spend all their monthly salary on data regardless of its cost.

Do you even understand this whole thing at all? Did you read the post? Lol

I made a comparison of both people and what their salary can purchase. You don't seem to grasp this at all. Make I leave you. Ask another of your peeps to explain to you please.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Buzx: 3:40pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

So what will the people use to purchase, is it with paper or with currency? Mr dumb, purchasing power is all about currency

It seems,you don't what you are talking about.

I am going ask you again, why is data cheaper in india than the United states?

At your question, purchasing power is not the only factor to check, they're other factors that determines the cost of data, with purchasing power being the dominant factor. Competition can also determine the cost of that.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Limassol(m): 3:40pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
But this your analysis is RUBBISH.

What has purchasing power got to do with internet data.

That same data showed that India had the cheapest data because of lot of competitors. Is the purchasing power of india more than the United states

The cost of data is expensive in the United states because of monopoly not because of purchasing power
How is Data price monopolise in the USA?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by IbotNugida(m): 3:47pm On Sep 09, 2021
The cost of charging my phone daily for 2 weeks sef don pass 2 weeks data sub.... Abi u no see light u go sub...na ur pr*ck u wan insert the sim...?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by ivolt: 3:49pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

Do you even understand this whole thing at all? Did you read the post? Lol
Yes, I do understand your invalid argument.

I made a comparison of both people and what their salary can purchase. You don't seem to grasp this at all. Make I leave you. Ask another of your peeps to explain to you please.
You are probably feeling smart because you got many likes but given
the average IQ of your readers, you should be concerned that you got many nods
on a non-generic topic.

Critical thinking is very hard, so I understand why my question sound strange to you.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by socialmediaman: 3:49pm On Sep 09, 2021
nairaman66:

There is no enough data to support your assertion and also peg Nigerian 1GB data at $2.74. You and I know the prices fluctuate through network providers.

Back to our argument. I think the below attached pics will be able to answer your questions!

It is possible to say that the higher cost of living, the more expensive data prices gets. Just a theory, I don’t have data to back up this claim!

Going by your screenshots, it costs $434 to live in Nigeria as a single person while it costs the same person $800 - $1,000 in Cambodia. So based on your assumption that higher living cost means higher data rates, doesn't it mean that 1GB data should be more expensive in Cambodia? So why is it cheaper instead, again adding the previous data i presented about population and 1GB cost?

BTW my data sources are https://a4ai.org/extra/mobile_broadband_pricing_usd-2018Q4 for the 1BG cost (2018) and https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambodia/wages-09102020162816.html for the minimum wage (conversion to naira is based on $1 to $411 official rate so $192 is about N79,000. My earlier 72K was based on 379 exchange rate)
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 3:51pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

[s]Another beautiful nonsense. One single sense you no make.

So according to your logic, Americans do not want cheaper data because they can afford high prices of data in America cheesy

According to you, if they pay for higher data price, it won't hurt their pocket, it won't make them more poorer or their expenses won't increase. cheesy

So the reason data is cheaper in india is not because of lot of competition in the market but because of the baloney you wrote down. cheesy

I am very curious, Which kind school you go?[/s]
You're irredeemable, lmao!!! Americans are top 3 in the world when it comes to Internet usage. Your country is not even anywhere near. Your country has the highest population in Africa, which should translate to impressive numbers but you're behind some African countries with way less population.

India, China and the USA make up the top 3 but your impoverished country is not anywhere near but you're comparing countries doing impressive numbers, as a result of access, cost & standard of living.

Maybe you need the go-ahead from your propaganda whatsapp group to believe that there is correlation between poverty, inflation, standard of living, cost of living anf the poor numbers, Nigerians post at the global internet access scale. Nitiwt!

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Pierocash(m): 3:51pm On Sep 09, 2021
Techguy96:

If more than 80 percent of Nigeria is poor then Nigeria is poor.

Most of those private jet owners are either policians or some few billionaires owning multinational companies, eg dangote.

Now how many legit workers own private jet in Nigeria, earning 5.2 million a month won't get u private jet in Nigeria.

There are more billionaires in New York than the whole of Africa yet u say Nigeria is rich, guy nor make me vex for u o
this isn't the argument here bro. What i am saying is that things aren't that expensive in Nigeria compared to those countries you mentioned,it is just the purchasing power that differs. You don't need to earn like those in America to afford a decent life in Nigeria,that is my point
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by fortune1968: 3:53pm On Sep 09, 2021
MikeMicheal:
I dont think 3k for 10gb is high.
.... because you have the money .In Nigeria ,many people don't earn 3k working for a week !
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 09, 2021
millenniumboy:
why are you comparing Nigeria with backward countries like Malawi etc compare Nigeria with countries like South Africa, Egypt etc please

South Africa and Egypt pay between 4 to 5 dollars for one gig compared to our 1.31 dollars for one gig.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by samsard(m): 3:54pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

That is besides the point of the discussion. my point is there's way more than 1000 people earning that much. If we wanted to get into this we could also get into the fact that America's 1% own a huge chunk of the country's wealth while the rest of the population goes into debt to keep up it's lifestyle.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:54pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

Thank you for making sense...but it would be lost on most people here

Because what Nigerians really want is free data. That's why they are grumbling even when it is pointed out to them that data is cheap here.

I see the same argument over DSTV prices. Nigeria has the cheapest DSTV rates in Africa...yet tell some people, and they will start screaming.
How undecided
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

Your argument is funny. How is Nigeria being cheaper or same as Malawi or Sudan a good thing? Doesn't that prove my point more? That we are as bad as the worst countries in the world?
grin

Yes, we aren't as rich or great as we think we are.

I don't think I have argued otherwise

And for a poor country we pay less compared to other poor countries

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Stream Live Football Matches/latest Movies On Your Iphone (xbmc) / How To Download Youtube Videos With Your Phone [android,ios,blackberry] / Which Internet Data Subscription Are You Currently On?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.