Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap (25600 Views)

Which Network Is The Most Cost-effective For Data In Nigeria? / Cost Of 1Gb Of Data In Every Country / Nigerians Outside Nigeria, What's The Cost Of Data In Your Resident Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 09, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

How undecided

Do a price comparison, and you will see.

Note that i am not arguing for higher prices
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by tmtech: 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:
yes it will earn you more in America,but you will spend more.

With $1k in Nigeria,you can afford a decent accomodations per year. That $1k in America in places like California,Texas, Saint Thomas etc can't give you a decent accomodation even for a month. Cost of rent in those place is between $1,300 -$2k per month. At the end,cost of living in Nigeria is too way cheaper compared to those places.

Someone earning $1k in Naija will live a far more quality life than someone earning $3k in America

A Tx engineer earns average of 8-10k dollars a month in the US . In Nigeria , you earn like 1+2k dollars .

A job that earns you 1k dollars in nigeira must have a level of professionalism to it and Abroad , it can easily earn you exponentially more .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

You don't need to point out to anyone that it is cheap or not. They can see it from the way it bites their pocket. Your logic that you need to explain people's experiences to them is laughable. They can see its expensive because it consumes all they have and leaves very little for other things

If one gig for 1000 naira or even less depending on the data seller is eating your pocket the maybe you are earning less than minimum wage .much less
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2021
ivolt:

The elite are a negligible minority, yet, housing value continue to skyrocket in most Nigerian capitals.
I suppose, it is ghosts, those in excruciating poverty or non-existent middle class that are renting those houses.
Which houses are you talking about? Mansions in Maitama, Lekki or Ikoyi? Lmao!!!

You're living in a bubble. For every 1 mansion in Lekki, there are hundreds of run down houses in the city centres or outskirts, where Nigerians are living. Go and look at the population of the highbrow areas and compare with the rundown parts of the city providing cheaper alternatives, so it is still an extremely negligible amount.

Inflation, poverty, increased cost of living is hitting Nigerians hard and many are moving to cheaper alternatives. Don't be fooled by a handful of criminals or fraudsters buying out houses in Lekki, there are millions more living in squalor in Ikotun , Alimosho, Ikorodu etc.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Lekan239(m): 3:58pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:
Someone did a thread showing the cost of data around the world in Dollars and some concluded from the thread that Data is cheap in Nigeria. This is not true at all. Data in Nigeria, like many other things, e.g. fuel. food stuff, is not cheap, but expensive. Very expensive!

Those who make these comparisons are only pushing out a false narrative based on false comparisons. What makes a product cheap or expensive is not the price tag on the product but the purchasing power of the buyers. Let's take a simple example.

In the USA, cost of 1GB of data is, according to the data available, $8.00, while in Nigeria, cost of 1Gb of data is around $2.3. Nigeria looks cheaper right? Wrong!

Someone looks at this as then says data is cheaper in Nigeria. But that is a wrong conclusion from a false comparison. The simple way to know which is cheaper is to bring in the buying power of the buyers.

In the USA, the average wage per month is $2730, while in Nigeria, the average wage is N30000 = $58. So without looking too far, a Nigerian who collects his wage will be able to purchase with his full salary, 58 / 2.3 = 25GB, while an American who collects his wage will be able to purchase, with his full salary, 2730 / 8.00 = 341GB

So how is it cheaper for the Nigerian? In fact, A Nigerian who collects minimum wage will spent it all on one bag of rice and transport home while an American who collects his minimum wage can buy 20 bags of rice and still have lots of change left.

I can go on and on and on, comparing products and services but the point is clear. Don't let anyone fool you that anything is cheap in Nigeria. Things are astronomically expensive in Nigeria right now
u r just looking for invalid proof to buttres ur point. Things are very cheap in Nigeria compared to other countries, but life is hard here in Nigeria. Are u not surprised that someone earning that 30,000 or less in Nigeria will feed them self and their family, live averagely well. But someone earning that ur USA 2watever might not be able to sustain with that after govt nack them with various outrageous bill

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by danchuzzy(m): 3:59pm On Sep 09, 2021
Happened:
cool

Am using hyflex net ... By MTN.

Cost 20k per month ... Is unlimited.

120GB Data Cap !!!

After your data don finish ... The speed reduces to 520kb/s.

Is indeed unlimited.

Written by Illikannu Donald Chukwuma

Is the yearly plan not better?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 4:00pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

If one gig for 1000 naira or even less depending on the data seller is eating your pocket the maybe you are earning less than minimum wage .much less

How will 1/30 of someone's monthly earnings not bite their pocket? Is it data they will chop or live in? Data that will not even last a week of Conservative use? You just want to lie to yourself because of those you support
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by mfm04622: 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

How can it be cheap if we cannot afford it? You are really funny. You seem confused. We buy fuel at N162 per litre and you are telling me its subsidised? How does that make any difference to me when my salary still cannot afford it? You certainly don't know the meaning of cheap at all. Ghana? You have no clue about Ghana. Things are far cheaper in Ghana than in Nigeria. The average Ghanaian is far more comfortable than average Nigerian
Lol!!!!
I laughed till I got tired!!!
Have you ever been to Ghana? I doubt! I have!
Ghanaians more comfortable than Nigerians? We have the poor all over the world. Even Christ said the poor will always be with us! That fuel you think is expensive at 165 is smuggled out of Nigeria and sold at a higher price in all our neighbors! Why? The official price of PMS in those countries are a lot higher than in Nigeria!
Nigeria produces more than 50% of the GDP of the whole of West Africa and you think some countries are more comfortable than Nigerians? Ghana's minimum wage was recently increased and it is laughable! Ask how much they pay for power and house rent! Well, human being don't value what they have untill they lose it. We also think the grass is greener on the other side!
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 4:03pm On Sep 09, 2021
Lekan239:
u r just looking for invalid proof to buttres ur point. Things are very cheap in Nigeria compared to other countries, but life is hard here in Nigeria

Things cannot be very cheap and life very hard at the same time. Have you ever heard of the term, oxymoron?

One of the main reasons why life is hard is because things are expensive. With the kind of stuff some of you post, one has to question the educational system of Nigeria
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

How will 1/30 of someone's monthly earnings not bite their pocket? Is it data they will chop or live in? Data that will not even last a week of Conservative use? You just want to lie to yourself because of those you support

In the central Africa republic it is even higher.it takes one quarter of your monthly income to buy one gig. And that country is poorer than us.

Plus most Nigerians don't even use the internet anyway.

For the last time, compared to other countries data is cheap here.

Or you want free data? Then how will all the data providers pay their staff and contractors who are ordinary Nigerians like you.

Sorry if it pains you

Nothing goes for free.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by snoopanddre(m): 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2021
God bless you op for d breakdown.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 4:08pm On Sep 09, 2021
mfm04622:

Lol!!!!
I laughed till I got tired!!!
Have you ever been to Ghana? I doubt! I have!
Ghanaians more comfortable than Nigerians? We have the poor all over the world. Even Christ said the poor will always be with us! That fuel you think is expensive at 165 is smuggled out of Nigeria and sold at a higher price in all our neighbors! Why? The official price of PMS in those countries are a lot higher than in Nigeria!
Nigeria produces more than 50% of the GDP of the whole of West Africa and you think some countries are more comfortable than Nigerians? Ghana's minimum wage was recently increased and it is laughable! Ask how much they pay for power and house rent! Well, human being don't value what they have untill they lose it. We also think the grass is greener on the other side!

You are either very ignorant or just lie to push your points. A Ghanaian can pay their monthly house rent easily while living comfortably for the rest of the month. If most Nigerians pay house rent monthly, they will starve for the rest of the month.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by mkoabiola: 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2021
Abeg which network has d cheapest data oo

I don tire to de buy data every time
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 4:11pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

In the central Africa republic it is even higher.it takes one quarter of your monthly income to buy one gig. And that country is poorer than us.

Plus most Nigerians don't even use the internet anyway.

For the last time, compared to other countries data is cheap here.

Or you want free data? Then how will all the data providers pay their staff and contractors who are ordinary Nigerians like you.

Sorry if it pains you

Nothing goes for free.

Don't you realise that comparing Nigeria with CAR proves my point? You are not very smart, are you? Lol

That is why you think a good argument is to say we have other poor and terrible colleagues in suffering. grin
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by lordizak(m): 4:12pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

Dear poster

I see no reason why you should abuse me, when I did not call you a fool or abuse you.

If you have facts to counter my facts, do that.

If you don't, please keep quiet.

Thank you.
This is 2021, no country in the world charges 5k in Naira equivalent to buy 1GB of data.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

I don't think you understand basic points but let me explain it in a layman way. It is someone who is buying something that expresses that the thing is either expensive or cheap to them. It is not the seller that claims such. The seller will actually cl it a fair price but it is the buyer that says it is expensive. And the reason it is expensive to the buyer is that the buyer is considering what he or she has in their pocket to spend. So its the purchasing power that determines what is expensive or cheap. To a millionaire, for example, the so called expensive stuff may look very cheap. That is why, to an American, $8 for data looks cheap, not expensive

Your analysis is so wrong. You type like someone that always visit the local market to bargain price.

But who told you 8 dollars for a gb data isn't expensive in the United states, you type like everybody in America is rich enough to afford an expensive data.

So you are saying that because America is a rich country, expensive data will be seen as cheap data because of purchasing power, so no Americans will want a cheaper data or even try to save money or cut cost.

According to your logic, you are also saying sellers in america put prices on goods because of purchasing power, something close to, lets put high price because they can afford it, to be sincere, that is not logical. lot of factors influence cost of goods and services not purchasing power.

Also, purchasing power does not determines what is cheap and expensive, purchasing power determines the quantity of goods and services that can be bought with your currency in the local market.

For instance, the naira has more purchasing power than than the dollar, with 2000 naira, you can buy atleast something tangible in Nigeria when compared to the dollar equivalent of the 2000 naira ( 4 dollars) in the United states.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2021
lordizak:

This is 2021, no country in the world charges 5k in Naira equivalent to buy 1GB of data.

The facts say they do.

Lord knows i wish it wasn't like that.

BBC has a very good article questioning the modalities used in setting prices for data. The summary of the article is that we in subsaharan Africa could even be paying lower for data than we do now

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

Don't you realise that comparing Nigeria with CAR proves my point? You are not very smart, are you? Lol

That is why you think a good argument is to say we have other poor and terrible colleagues in suffering. grin

Good afternoon and do have a good day, wise sir.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2021
Limassol:
How is Data price monopolise in the USA?

There are 7 companies that control broadband in america, Comcast, Charter, AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, Frontier, and Windstream

Comcast and Charter control the market, so you are at their mercy in terms of price
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Lekan239(m): 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

Things cannot be very cheap and life very hard at the same time. Have you ever heard of the term, oxymoron?

One of the main reasons why life is hard is because things are expensive. With the kind of stuff some of you post, one has to question the educational system of Nigeria
do not forget you are comparing the sale of data between the USA and Nigeria which is cheaper. Life is easy in USA but that comes with a fee you have to pay. Life is quite hard in Nigeria, but things are cheaper in Nigeria than in USA. What if data is sold in Nigeria same price as it is in the USA.

I wonder what education you guys received in the USA

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

There are 7 companies that control broadband in america, Comcast, Charter, AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, Frontier, and Windstream

Comcast and Charter control the market, so you are at their mercy in terms of price

I thought verizon was also strong there too

( Never been to the USA, just asking out of curiosity )
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by writeprof(m): 4:24pm On Sep 09, 2021
What about Nigeria gas and energy?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

You're irredeemable, lmao!!! Americans are top 3 in the world when it comes to Internet usage. Your country is not even anywhere near. Your country has the highest population in Africa, which should translate to impressive numbers but you're behind some African countries with way less population.

India, China and the USA make up the top 3 but your impoverished country is not anywhere near but you're comparing countries doing impressive numbers, as a result of access, cost & standard of living.

Maybe you need the go-ahead from your propaganda whatsapp group to believe that there is correlation between poverty, inflation, standard of living, cost of living anf the poor numbers, Nigerians post at the global internet access scale. Nitiwt!

How does this reply relates to the simple questions i was asking you?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by ivolt: 4:24pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

Which houses are you talking about? Mansions in Maitama, Lekki or Ikoyi? Lmao!!!
Housing prices are skyrocketing everywhere.

You're living in a bubble. For every 1 mansion in Lekki, there are hundreds of run down houses in the city centres or outskirts, where Nigerians are living. Go and look at the population of the highbrow areas and compare with the rundown parts of the city providing cheaper alternatives, so it is still an extremely negligible amount.
Nobody is talking about highbrow areas.
Speak to an estate agent about the cost of a decent self-contain, two-bedroom and three-bed room flat
in any area that is not crime-infested and come back with your report.
Do you think it is the elites that are living in the type of houses I listed above?

Inflation, poverty, increased cost of living is hitting Nigerians hard and many are moving to cheaper alternatives. Don't be fooled by a handful of criminals or fraudsters buying out houses in Lekki,
You are funny, who told you I am talking about Lekki?
I talked about rent, not purchase.
I mentioned state capitals and your mind immediately goes to Lekki.
How does that follow?
FYI, poor and middle class also reside in your magical Lekki.
If your claims are correct, then Lagos could not exist as a city.

there are millions more living in squalor in Ikotun , Alimosho, Ikorodu etc.
It is always entertaining when people pull random numbers to make a point.
What exactly is squalor to you?

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

I thought verizon was also strong there too

( Never been to the USA, just asking out of curiosity )

What i listed was the monopoly for broadband internet

For mobile carrier:

Verizon and at&t are the monoploy

Verizon is the market leader while AT&T is second.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Bngf: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2021
Everything is high in nigeria
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

What i listed was the monopoly for broadband internet

For mobile carrier:

Verizon and at&t are the monoploy

Verizon is the market leader while AT&T is second.

I see, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by donhils: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2021
possibilita:
Naija data even dey finish quick
That'd be a debate for another day

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2021
Buzx:

At your question, purchasing power is not the only factor to check, they're other factors that determines the cost of data, with purchasing power being the dominant factor. Competition can also determine the cost of that.

You are right, that is what i told to the initial guy i was argueing with before it lead to something else

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

[s]How does this reply relates to the simple questions i was asking you?[/s]
Werey say na simple questions, lmao! Who you dey ask yeye question? Your fellow BMCs? Your country is the poverty capital and less than 55% have access to the internet, for obvious reasons...POVERTY. But you dey ask question, lmao!
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
ivolt:

Housing prices are skyrocketing everywhere.

Nobody is talking about highbrow areas.
Speak to an estate agent about the cost of a decent self-contain, two-bedroom and three-bed room flat
in any area that is not crime-infested and come back with your report.
Do you think it is the elites that are living in the type of houses I listed above?

You are funny, who told you I am talking about Lekki?
I talked about rent, not purchase.
I mentioned state capitals and your mind immediately goes to Lekki.
How does that follow?
FYI, poor and middle class also reside in your magical Lekki.
If your claims are correct, then Lagos could not exist as a city.

It is always entertaining when people pull random numbers to make a point.
What exactly is squalor to you?

It think house prices are skyrocketing because of inflation but truly truly, the rental market is money spinning.

Rent is the present and future of lagos.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

Werey say na simple questions, lmao! Who you dey ask yeye question? Your fellow BMCs? Your country is the poverty capital and less than 55% have access to the internet, for obvious reasons...POVERTY. But you dey ask question, lmao!

I swear nothing dey your head than to shout BMC from morning to night

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

MTN Wap Settings Still AVAILABLE: Plus Email And Messengers In Your Phone. / Photos Of The New Digifon Boom-Q Ultraportable Bluetooth Speaker / Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.