Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,202 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap (25579 Views)

Which Network Is The Most Cost-effective For Data In Nigeria? / Cost Of 1Gb Of Data In Every Country / Nigerians Outside Nigeria, What's The Cost Of Data In Your Resident Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by redirect(m): 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2021
WHY NOT MAKE IT FIX PRICE SO THAT ONE MONTH WILL BE ONE MONTH
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by mecussey(m): 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2021
PipulTv1:
Pipul TV has tried to give Nigerians a soft landing with this, you get unlimited data strictly for streaming at #3600 Monthly. Check my signature

Can I stream Youtube with it?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by lordizak(m): 2:53pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov post=1056 it46634:
The cost of data in Malawi is $27 In Nigeria it is $1.31...for the same one gig

Then the minimum wage in both countries is the same.

In Chad it is $23...where their minimum wage is N47000 Or 116 dollars.

The cost of 1 g data in the Central African republic can chop one quarter of your income.....here in Nigeria it is much less.

I think the problem is, anyone who points out the fact that data is cheap in Nigeria is perceived as arguing for higher prices. That's not true.

Anyway, the argument we should really be having is the modalities they use in setting the price for data. That's what we should be asking.

Modified

OP is being clever by half. He compared Nigeria to the US...meanwhile, there are many African countries that charge higher for data than even the USA....and OP did not put them on his list because he knows it would defeat his argument..especially as minimum wage in many African countries is about the same as, or less than Nigeria..
Stop making a fool of your.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Fuckyoumod: 2:54pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

US dollars, of course...which is what was used in the original chart. Malawi uses kwacha...not dollars.

Irrelevant to the discussion

If my discussion is dull...why do you feel threatened by it?

By the way, good afternoon.
good afternoon. Hopefully others would correct you the hard way
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 2:54pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
But this your analysis is RUBBISH.

What has purchasing power got to do with internet data.

That same data showed that India had the cheapest data because of lot of competitors. Is the purchasing power of india more than the United states

The cost of data is expensive in the United states because of monopoly not because of purchasing power

This dont even make sense. The cheap or expensive is to the buyer, not to the seller.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 09, 2021
lordizak:

Stop making a fool of your.

Dear poster

I see no reason why you should abuse me, when I did not call you a fool or abuse you.

If you have facts to counter my facts, do that.

If you don't, please keep quiet.

Thank you.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2021
ivolt:
This is statistical abuse.

First, OP mischieviously compared US "average wage" to Nigeria's minimum wage.
In reality, the US minimum wage is about $1260 per month.

Secondly, it is illogical to compare total data that a minimum wage can buy when the two
countries do not have similar data consumption habit.

A better comparison would be common items such as tax, transport and housing.

If you do the math, you will see that Nigeria comes up on top.

The first thread remains true to its message that Nigeria's data is much cheaper.

How is it cheap if it cost me all my salary to browse the Internet in a month?

I don't think you understand the meaning of cheap
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

The cost of 1 g data in the Central African republic can chop one quarter of your income.....here in Nigeria it is much less.

I think the problem is, anyone who points out the fact that data is cheap in Nigeria is perceived as arguing for higher prices. That's not true.

Anyway, the argument we should really be having is the modalities they use in setting the price for data. That's what we should be asking.

Modified

OP is being clever by half. He compared Nigeria to the US...meanwhile, there are many African countries that charge higher for data than even the USA....and OP did not put them on his list because he knows it would defeat his argument..especially as minimum wage in many African countries is about the same as, or less than Nigeria..
Is Nigeria not giant of Africa again? Why compare with poor countries? Shame on you
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by ositadima1(m): 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

Modified

U are right, there are a lot of factors dictating the cost of data besides earning power.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2021
anastasius:

Is Nigeria not giant of Africa again? Why compare with poor countries? Shame on you

Okay, let us buy fuel at N500 per liter since in your mind we are a 'rich country'

We are a poor country. Rich countries use their resources to make exportable goods. Poor countries don't.

I have never believed Nigeria was rich since the 1990's .
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Mavor: 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2021
Happened:
cool

Am using hyflex net ... By MTN.

Cost 20k per month ... Is unlimited.

120GB Data Cap !!!

After your data don finish ... The speed reduces to 520kb/s.

Is indeed unlimited.

Written by Illikannu Donald Chukwuma
You are here talking Hynet. FiberOne is true unlimited. No data cap. Full speed, no throttling, no data loss. The beauty of Fibre superiority over Radio transmitted internet like Hynet.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by samsard(m): 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

Which elite? What's the ratio of these elite to the impoverished Nigerians? Do you realise we're the poverty capital of the world?
What's the correlation between having less than 1000 people earning 5.2/month and being the poverty capital?
There are more millionaires in Nigeria than you think.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2021
mfm04622:

Na your own be that!
Next time when you calculate the average income, also calculate the average cost of living. Do Nigerians spend $1,000 per WEEK on rent? What about other basic things.

Even if you come to rent, it's the same thing. The average American can pay his rent of $1000 from his salary and still have enough money to feed for the rest of the month. The average Nigerian, on the other hand, we need to save up all of his 1 month or more salary to pay for his rent

No matter how you look at it, it's just too expensive in Nigeria
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by PipulTv1: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2021
benqo01:

That's nice let me read more about it
Yeah visit the website in my signature to learn all about the data free streaming
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by PipulTv1: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
benqo01:

Is there an app for it I will be very interested
Yes it's available on both Android and iOS platforms.
Download the app from the company website in my signature
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Limassol(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
Very high but not the highest in the world. Data in Nigeria is expensive with the cheapest being 1GB= 200. In India a telcom called Jio gives around 100GB for $10.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by PipulTv1: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
mecussey:

Can I stream Youtube with it?
No strictly Pipul TV content ranging from News, All Live sports, entertainment, lifestyle, Kiddies, TV shows, movies etc

All without paying Kobo for data for the entire duration of your subscription
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
ivolt:

Secondly, it is illogical to compare total data that a minimum wage can buy when the two

The first thread remains true to its message that Nigeria's data is much cheaper.

Thank you for making sense...but it would be lost on most people here

Because what Nigerians really want is free data. That's why they are grumbling even when it is pointed out to them that data is cheap here.

I see the same argument over DSTV prices. Nigeria has the cheapest DSTV rates in Africa...yet tell some people, and they will start screaming.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:

This dont even make sense. The cheap or expensive is to the buyer, not to the seller.

You are not making any point. So according to you sellers just put any price of goods and services because of purchasing power grin

Fuel is cheaper in Nigeria than in the United states but both are oil producing nations

Why is that? Is it also because of purchasing power or cost of labour
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2021
ivolt:

30k is not Nigeria's minimum wage. Its the average wage. Most SMEs pay around 30k to 40k. Only few 5op organisations pay more. And only the FG and some states have been paying this to workers in the public sector.

But even if I agree with you and use your own figures, it still doesn't take away from the point as it only makes it a little bit better. Nigeria still ends up on the high side
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

There is something called a benchmark. Your country's trade, earnings, standard of living & economy, is benchmarked against the dollars. It's why your country is the poverty capital of the world because a majority of the citizens live on less than $1 a day. So your question is preposterous and a foolish one.

The purchasing power of an American means they can conveniently afford data while the purchasing power of Nigerians, have continued to dwindle since the despotic Buhari came to power, which means data, food, living, is becoming more expensive as more and more Nigerians take a hit in their income.

Beautiful nonsense.

Now tell me why in india, internet data is cheaper than the United states?

Does indian rupee have a higher purchasing power than the United states dollar?

Fuel is cheaper in Nigeria than in the United states, is that also because of the purchasing power?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2021
Modrov:

Thank you for making sense...but it would be lost on most people here

Because what Nigerians really want is free data. That's why they are grumbling even when it is pointed out to them that data is cheap here.

I see the same argument over DSTV prices. Nigeria has the cheapest DSTV rates in Africa...yet tell some people, and they will start screaming.

You don't need to point out to anyone that it is cheap or not. They can see it from the way it bites their pocket. Your logic that you need to explain people's experiences to them is laughable. They can see its expensive because it consumes all they have and leaves very little for other things
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by VanuatuWycombe: 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2021
Any 1GB data paid for in Nigeria is actually less than 600MB in the real sense. It has been so programmed in such a way that it burns out quickly.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Limassol(m): 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2021
Pierocash:
Things aren't actually expensive in Nigeria compared to other advanced countries. It is the purchasing power that differs.

There are people in Nigeria who earn over $10k dollars a month. If such people travel out of Nigeria to the USA,he will come back to tell you that cost of living in Nigeria is way too cheaper compared to the US.

I will rather earn $1k a month in Nigeria,than to earn $3k-$5k in America
These people earning $10k a month, how many they sef? A generous estimate would be 0.01%. Just so you know nearly half of Nigerian workers earn less than the minimum wage.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by providencia(m): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:
Someone did a thread showing the cost of data around the world in Dollars and some concluded from the thread that Data is cheap in Nigeria. This is not true at all. Data in Nigeria, like many other things, e.g. fuel. food stuff, is not cheap, but expensive. Very expensive!

Those who make these comparisons are only pushing out a false narrative based on false comparisons. What makes a product cheap or expensive is not the price tag on the product but the purchasing power of the buyers. Let's take a simple example.

In the USA, cost of 1GB of data is, according to the data available, $8.00, while in Nigeria, cost of 1Gb of data is around $2.3. Nigeria looks cheaper right? Wrong!

Someone looks at this as then says data is cheaper in Nigeria. But that is a wrong conclusion from a false comparison. The simple way to know which is cheaper is to bring in the buying power of the buyers.

In the USA, the average wage per month is $2730, while in Nigeria, the average wage is N30000 = $58. So without looking too far, a Nigerian who collects his wage will be able to purchase with his full salary, 58 / 2.3 = 25GB, while an American who collects his wage will be able to purchase, with his full salary, 2730 / 8.00 = 341GB

So how is it cheaper for the Nigerian? In fact, A Nigerian who collects minimum wage will spent it all on one bag of rice and transport home while an American who collects his minimum wage can buy 20 bags of rice and still have lots of change left.

I can go on and on and on, comparing products and services but the point is clear. Don't let anyone fool you that anything is cheap in Nigeria. Things are astronomically expensive in Nigeria right now

Your head correct. E dey hard to see people when their head correct nowadays
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by philip0906(m): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

[s]Beautiful nonsense.

Now tell me why in indian, internet data is cheaper than the United states?

Does indian rupee have a higher purchasing power than the United states dollar?[/s]
You nitwit, it is not the power of the currency but the purchasing power of the people. Data can be cheaper than the United States, but same data won't be considered expensive by an American because the average American earns decent wages to cover for that cost. The same cannot be said about Nigeria, where the data might be cheap for an American or Indian but expensive for a Nigerian who's minimum wage is 30k monthly.
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Sunkyphil(m): 3:10pm On Sep 09, 2021
Thank God for alternative if not i don't know how much i would have been spending on data
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by nairaman66(m): 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2021
socialmediaman:

Take Cambodia for example. Their population is 16 million (Nigeria is 201 million), their minimum wage is N72,000 (Nigeria is 30,000). The cost of 1GB data is $2.00 (Nigeria is $2.74). From your summary they have more purchasing power which means they can afford higher rates, and less population which means less competition. So why isn't their data more expensive?

There is no enough data to support your assertion and also peg Nigerian 1GB data at $2.74. You and I know the prices fluctuate through network providers.

Back to our argument. I think the below attached pics will be able to answer your questions!

It is possible to say that the higher cost of living, the more expensive data prices gets. Just a theory, I don’t have data to back up this claim!

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 3:13pm On Sep 09, 2021
Hezzyluv:
True talk. And if you're in USA, is very easy for you to hustle $8 to buy data then to hustle #1200 in Nigeria to buy data

$8 is less than an hours pay. Easy!
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

You nitwit, it is not the power of the currency but the purchasing power of the people. Data can be cheaper than the United States, but same data won't be considered expensive by an American because the average American earns decent wages to cover for that cost. The same cannot be said about Nigeria, where the data might be cheap for an American or Indian but expensive for a Nigerian who's minimum wage is 30k monthly.

So what will the people use to purchase, is it with paper or with currency? Mr dumb, purchasing power is all about currency

It seems,you don't what you are talking about.

I am going ask you again, why is data cheaper in india than the United states?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by nazimakash6: 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2021
Web 2.0 sites will pass strong juice from layers below them straight to your main site.
Extremely safe technique because you are not getting a large number of links directly to
your site but quality contextual backlinks from high DA Web 2.0 properties with content
related to your niche.
[url="https://www.seoclerks.us"]seo usa[/url]
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Pierocash(m): 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2021
tmtech:

A job that will earn you 1k dollars in Nigeria will earn you more than 3-5k dollar in the US.. and don't forget the quality of life you will also live .. unless that doesn't matter to you.
yes it will earn you more in America,but you will spend more.

With $1k in Nigeria,you can afford a decent accomodations per year. That $1k in America in places like California,Texas, Saint Thomas etc can't give you a decent accomodation even for a month. Cost of rent in those place is between $1,300 -$2k per month. At the end,cost of living in Nigeria is too way cheaper compared to those places.

Someone earning $1k in Naija will live a far more quality life than someone earning $3k in America

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bluboo Xfire2: The First Ever Android Phone With 3 Sim Slots And Big Screen / MTN Wap Settings Still AVAILABLE: Plus Email And Messengers In Your Phone. / I Need A Phone With Sharp Camera With Good Battery Life For 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.