Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,248 members, 7,811,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! (3244 Views)

Can A PAGAN Go To Heaven? / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival / Daddy Freeze: Celebrating Christmas, Is Celebrating A Pagan God's Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by LordReed(m): 6:57am On Sep 11, 2021
hupernikao:

But sin simply means to miss a mark. To deviate from instruction or standard. Don't you think that happens everyday, even you can sin against someone by deviating from a set of standard or rule set. That's the meaning of sin. It's meaning is beyond moral uprightness. So sin surely exist right?

Nope, it is a religious concept invoked to elicit a strong guilt reaction so that you'll agree you require "cleansing". If it was merely doing wrong then you won't need the forgiveness of a god.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Franzinni: 8:01am On Sep 11, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You are obviously talking about the death of Judas.

Speculation is always done by a person giving his own judgement on an issue based on his own scantiness of evidence.

And the Bible did not do this, it gave you the report of 2 witnesses.

And reporting what a witness's testimony is not a speculation.

I did no such thing, respectfully, you are the one who is now repeating and fighting for what you have been told (exactly as those Christ applicants who repeat what their teachers have told them.

Therefore, your eyes has been Tainted by your evil thoughts and THUS, YOU ARE BIASED AND SHOCKED THAT THERE IS A REASONABLE EXPLANATION OF THE CONTENTS OF THE BIBLE, WHICH YOU YOURSELF COULD NOT REASONABLY FIND ANY FAULT WITH.

BUT YOU HAD PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT IT HAD NO GOOD AND FIRM EXPLANATION, WHICH IS WHY YOU ARE NOW COMPLAINING.

Now you have moved to contradictions. The Bible has no contradiction worthy of any attention.

I know you will lay them down and I will address them to the best of my ability.

Remember you are the one asking the questions while I supply the answer to those questions asked.

So you find that I completely believe the Bible and as you have honestly seen, you are not able to find any reasonable fault with my answer, even up to the level that you are in deed shocked that a reasonable answer can be provided.

Glad to have been of assistance.

grin All you need is to speak The Truth.

Truth is self explanatory and does not need many words, which is the same thing you see in the Bible. It does not talk too much.

grin I know what you are actually saying is "I can not believe that those questions could be answered such that I could not reasonably counter them, even when I sought a counter." grin

Now you learn why God says He has established His Truth Forever and why we sing.

It's so High you can never get over it.
It's so Low you can never get under it.
It's so Wide you can never get around it.
It's so Strong you can never through it.
grin

"On Christ the SOLID ROCK I stand, All other grounds is Sinking Sands, All other grounds is Sinking Sands" grin grin
nah .. doesn't click for me .... the bible can't be giving two account of witnesses when you earlier said selfile abi what big English did you use had no witnesses and all .. I see you are dancing, you must be a politician. But oh well ... Yeah today I heard from my Father and he told me

The journey of life is meant to be a spiritual experience. Haha

Peace
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Franzinni: 8:02am On Sep 11, 2021
hupernikao:

Always try to stay on point and avoid bringing your personal issues to the discussion.

You worship God. It doesn't have to be the pagan way but it is a pagan practice. Yet you do it. But refused to use the name God. Do you think it's about lexicon? The moment you worship, there is a deity. That's the origin. That deity is called god. You don't worship your father, or do you?

So, leave lexicon and the thought whispering to your imagination. If your imagination allows a worship, it's just playing on you to avoid using the name God, that's what you worship not the father.
I heard from my creator today morning haha and He told me this life is meant to be a spiritual experience.

Peace
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 8:19am On Sep 11, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

grin his pa is a very old snake but, a snake still. grin

cheesy

1 Like

Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by SlawG: 8:37am On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Bwahahahahaha! Next thing na lizard go run pass your leg you go call am witch. LMFAO! Meanwhile tell your imaginary god to stop me from posting on Nairaland. LMFAO!
god cannot be put to test, "else, he'll be put to SHAME". CAPS

1 Like

Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Myer(m): 8:39am On Sep 11, 2021
hupernikao:

Great to know your state.

On hearing from God, as a starting point, the the very first point I will put forward is what the scripture teaching.

Ps 119:130. The entrance of thy word is light and understanding to the simple.

Also in another place, the psalmist states.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and light unto my path.

Obviously, these texts showed us a simple way we are led by God. It's states that it's by his word. That means primarily no child of God lacks God's leading or hearing from him. It's a matter of the person"s choice.

Hence the very first way God speaks to us is via his Word. It's the first, and the primary and the most reliable way.

Until we see God's word as God's communication to us, we won't appreciate how much he says to us via the written word whenever we look at the word.

The written word are God's counsel, thoughts and instructions for our daily living.
If that's the primary way he leads us, then that's the primary way he wants us to hear from him

What this means is that, when I read the scriptures it must be seen as me talking to God and God talking to me. I must see it as if, if God is physically here with me, this that I am reading is the same he will communicate to me now. It must be that real to me.

Hence, we must first hear from his written word before, we can start speaking about audible or perception from our spirit because those are very subjective and must be tested by the written word.

So, how do I know I hear from God.
Whenever I read his word, that is him talking to me via the inspired writings. He is unveiling his thoughts to my thoughts in a written form.
His instructions in those writings are what he wants me to carry our and prosper in them.

It's also from this I will learn other options of hearing from him and how to judge those options so as not to be led astray.

So the primary way is the written word. A man who cannot study and see God and his plan for him from the written word cannot be trusted as hearing the spirit or voices or perceive God.

Well said. I agree God speaks to us through His Word and adequate study is very important.

But you know the word cannot always guide your decisions especially when it comes to significant life choices viz which business to commit to, what business you should invest in, which wife to marry, whether to go into ministry or further your education or get a job, etc.

Also to hear God concerning spiritual entities planted within your family or work environment in order to be well prepared to counter their devises or cast out these demons as Jesus did, as Paul did, etc.

Likewise when you're being misled by false teachers and prophets, you should be able to hear God to discern them. Cos one thing Christianity seems to be awash of is false teachers and prophets.

In this instances, would you say it is important to truly have audible hearing from God?
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 8:41am On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Nope, it is a religious concept invoked to elicit a strong guilt reaction so that you'll agree you require "cleansing". If it was merely doing wrong then you won't need the forgiveness of a god.

Religious concept that is naturally present in every human being as conscience. You don't have to be religious to have a strong guilt reaction, duh. You only need to have a conscience which everyone has. Deadening and hardening your conscience doesn't change the fact that you are a sinner on the expressway to hell fire.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 8:43am On Sep 11, 2021
SlawG:

You might have managed to think if you tried, like God is not your student or employee that you put to test at will. Unfortunately, you are the one compulsorily under a test or the other.

Oh God, oh God, better show up now or else you don't exist. Sit~down Comedians.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by LordReed(m): 9:17am On Sep 11, 2021
SlawG:

Well what's he afraid of, that I'll laugh at him? LMFAO!
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Dtruthspeaker: 9:24am On Sep 11, 2021
Franzinni:
nah .. doesn't click for me .... the bible can't be giving two account of witnesses when you earlier said selfile abi what big English did you use had no witnesses and all ..

You are a very dishonest and unfair person. The whole Bible is a Report, giving by either the witness himself or what the witness reports that he saw or heard, Exactly as the Reports we read here in Nairaland Front page or Sections.

It is a take it or leave it and of course your unfairness and bias will never let you have a balanced and True opinion, exactly as a Biased Judge is No Judge.

Franzinni:

I see you are dancing, you must be a politician. But oh well ... Yeah today I heard from my Father and he told me

The journey of life is meant to be a spiritual experience. Haha

Peace

You are the one who is exactly like the people you said are "Auto-Piloting", you are exactly Auto-Piloting on Anti-Godism.

And hmmm seeing this consistently, you are obviously playing with me and deceiving God lovers to see and enjoy how they respond to you.

You are still the same evil frazinni, brother of Satanreed, son of Satan. grin
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Franzinni: 9:46am On Sep 11, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You are a very dishonest and unfair person. The whole Bible is a Report, giving by either the witness himself or what the witness reports that he saw or heard, Exactly as the Reports we read here in Nairaland Front page or Sections.

It is a take it or leave it and of course your unfairness and bias will never let you have a balanced and True opinion, exactly as a Biased Judge is No Judge.

You are the one who is exactly like the people you said are "Auto-Piloting", you are exactly Auto-Piloting on Anti-Godism.

And hmmm seeing this consistently, you are obviously playing with me and deceiving God lovers to see and enjoy how they respond to you.

You are still the same evil frazinni, brother of Satanreed, son of Satan. grin

haha I see you Crystal clear Sir, you are ignorant and set In Your ways, you believe what you know is final and will defend it with what ever comes to your mind, I an doubly sure I anam not the first person to tell you this. In any case you don't have any answer to my questions so you resort to packing your comments with plenty gibberish to confuse the confused and inflate your self deception ...

I will state this clearly ... I have no interest to influence anyone, I only share my beliefs .

Also the Judas issue of which I am sure you have scoured the internet for a come back as many scholars before you ... is a contradiction and nothing less.

Likewise is the claim of the existence of unicorns in the bible but I guess you don't know that ..... yet

So go do some internet research and then come back with something as usual, I have the time to wait..

Above all is the fact that ... It is a personal race

You get.

Peace

You are desperate to be right, I am not. I just express myself

That is where we are different.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by TenQ: 10:00am On Sep 11, 2021
Franzinni:
Lately I have been seeking the face of father, the creator of creations, and men I am loving it. Why? Because He talks to me and it amazes me to realize how fortunate I am to be a beneficiary of His communion and grace.

Every morning when I wake I spend some time to have a chat with Him, and crack one or two jokes ... Just the regular father son stuff. You will be shocked what we talk about too ...anyways for sometime now, when I call Him God, I will hear Him say call me father ... when I say good morning lord I will hear him say call me father ... Hmmm

This morning after we had a brief chat, Father asked me to find out the meaning and origin of father and then I will understand ...

I was amazed when I looked it up but I didn't stop there ... I decided to look up the origin of the word God... and I was equally amazed

The word God is of pagan origin!
Same with a lot of names we call Him thinking we are referring to the Father.

People perish in ignorance ... I choose the light.

Didn't want to share this but He asked me to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_(word)

Peace.
God is a TITLE which simply mean DEITY!

The question is: there are so many Gods/gods, which one is yours.

For the Muslims, it is Allah (the Deity)
For Jews and Christians, it is (Jehovah/Yahweh)
For the Yorubas, they have only titles such as Eledumare, Olorun (Olu-Orun), Oba-Oke, etc
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Franzinni: 10:10am On Sep 11, 2021
TenQ:

God is a TITLE which simply mean DEITY!

The question is: there are so many Gods/gods, which one is yours.

For the Muslims, it is Allah (the Deity)
For Jews and Christians, it is (Jehovah/Yahweh)
For the Yorubas, they have only titles such as Eledumare, Olorun (Olu-Orun), Oba-Oke, etc
ok so you mean God is Allah,Yahweh,oluorun,chukwu, etc?

Well I disagree.

Baal the deity,
Ra the deity
Odin the deity
Pan the deity

Are they the same Almighty ?
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 10:17am On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Well what's he afraid of, that I'll laugh at him? LMFAO!

He's very afraid of you getting upset na, you know how much punishment you can give when angry na. Comedian
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by TenQ: 10:41am On Sep 11, 2021
Franzinni:
ok so you mean God is Allah,Yahweh,oluorun,chukwu, etc?

Well I disagree.

Baal the deity,
Ra the deity
Odin the deity
Pan the deity

Are they the same Almighty ?

You get me wrong.
God is simply a generic title meaning Deity.
Elohim simply is a Title (meaning deity) like King, President, Chairman etc.

What differentiates one God/god from the other is their Real names and Identities.

For the Christians and Jews, the Name of their deity is Yahweh/Jehovah : this is the Almighty God

Just like:
Muhammadu Buhari is a President
Joe Biden is also a President

The question is President of where?
What is the Name of the President?

This is what distinguishes a president from another
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Franzinni: 10:58am On Sep 11, 2021
TenQ:

You get me wrong.
God is simply a generic title meaning Deity.
Elohim simply is a Title (meaning deity) like King, President, Chairman etc.

What differentiates one God/god from the other is their Real names and Identities.

For the Christians and Jews, the Name of their deity is Yahweh/Jehovah : this is the Almighty God

Just like:
Muhammadu Buhari is a President
Joe Biden is also a President

The question is President of where?
What is the Name of the President?

This is what distinguishes a president from another
God means deity I get you... but it was a word the pagans used to call their deity ...

Same as olorun was a deity before we started calling Yahweh olorun

Same with chukwu before Christianity came and they started calling Yahweh chukwu

What I am saying is the origin of thethe word is pagan just like oluwa is Yoruba and chukwu is igbo.

They already have a deity they ascribe that recognition with before Christianity adopted it
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by hupernikao: 11:31am On Sep 11, 2021
Myer:

Well said. I agree God speaks to us through His Word and adequate study is very important.

But you know the word cannot always guide your decisions especially when it comes to significant life choices viz which business to commit to, what business you should invest in, which wife to marry, whether to go into ministry or further your education or get a job, etc.

Also to hear God concerning spiritual entities planted within your family or work environment in order to be well prepared to counter their devises or cast out these demons as Jesus did, as Paul did, etc.

In this instances, would you say it is important to truly have audible hearing from God?

Well said.

Observe my key emphasis on the word PRIMARY earlier. The written word is the primary way by which all believers are led. This must first be known and practiced by anyone who will hear God through other means.

You can't over emphasized the written word in how you are led even on a daily basis and on all issues you listed. We must first know and follow his general leading via the word, then the specifics will be easy.

For example, the first and primary instruction or God's voice you read or hear about marriage is the written word. It set the boundaries of choices available to you in who to marry. It speaks to you on the type of persons you should ever consider in this. The moment you deviate from this, no audible voice can save you. Because when the foundation is lost, the building will fail.

Having said that. God is also interested in leading us in daily basis, want to speak to us on our specific issues.

Psalm 32:8
I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye

The word "I will instruct you" is the word translated from sakal in Hebrew text. It simply means to give attention to, to have you in mind.

The word "and teach you" is from the Hebrew word yarah. It means to give direction to something.

The word "in the way" is from the word Derek it implies "the course of life, a moral action or character"

Gen 19:2 used it for the way you go, your daily living.

The word "should go" is from the word yakal, it means your manner of life, how you conduct your steps. A direct interpretation of the Greek text peripateo used for walk, daily endeavor in the NT writings.

John 8:12.. Shall not walk in darkness but hath the light of life.

It deals with your day to day actions.

The word " will guide you" yaats. It translated as to consult,l. A word used for counselor.

Hence the psalmist beautifully expressed God's mind on our daily actions and decision.

He is interested in leading your day to day decision.

So, how will he lead me daily.
1[b]. Written word
2. His Spirit[/b].

I have explained more on the written word.

The Spirit
The believer is the one who has received the spirit of God.

John 14:16, John 7:37-39 Holyghost as a promise

John 3:3-6 he is born of the spirit.
Romans 8:9 He has the spirit of Christ
Romans 814-16 He is led by the spirit
1 Cor 2:12 He has received the spirit of God
1 Cor 12:3 He can speak by the spirit.
1 Cor 12:13 Baptized by the spirit
Ephes 1:13 Zeal by the spirit.

Hence a believer doesn't lack the spirit of God. This means he has the leading of the spirit daily. This can come as a voice, intuition and a knowing.

So, how will I know this is God's spirit or God's voice

Observe the usage of voice here is not always about audible but a knowing which is an be an information exposed to your mind from the spirit, an audible voice, or a sight as vision.

Your knowledge of the word, will guide you to know if you are hearing from God. Also a regular practice of following his voice in the written word is the criteria for you to be able to know his spoken words.

A man who doesn't observe God's instruction in the written word can never be used to hearing God, hence if God's speaks to him in another way, he can't know and differentiate from other voices.

Many at times he will hear his imagination, or emotions but claim its God. A voice you are not used to daily via the reading of the written word, you cannot distinct it when it's audible.

So, in knowing God's audible leading, or intuition, I must be hearing him on general issues as spoken by him daily to me in the scriptures.

Observe that in real life, specific decisions are likely to come with pressures of life hence the pressure to act. In this mode, you may not have much patience to know what voice you are hearing or the intuition in your heart. They are all mixed together with your feelings, emotions and external influences.

This is the reason why someone who has trained himself to hear God regularly through the written word, daily and observe his instruction will have little issues to know and differentiate between the voices around him through emotions, pressures and the voice of God.

In conclusion
Does God have interest in leading me daily? Yes. God's desire is that all his children will walk in the light of his guidance. He wants to be involved in our daily steps and direct us. This he firstly does via his voice in the written word, which is what guide us in general issues and train us to know and understand his leading.l and voice.

Hence in specific decisions, our reliance on God's written counsel is central to how we walk in his leading on specific issues of life and decisions that surround us daily.

1 Like

Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by SlawG: 11:41am On Sep 11, 2021
Image123:

You might have managed to think if you tried, like God is not your student or employee that you put to test at will. Unfortunately, you are the one compulsorily under a test or the other.

Oh God, oh God, better show up now or else you don't exist. Sit~down Comedians.
Elijah says "HI"

1 Like

Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by TenQ: 11:42am On Sep 11, 2021
Franzinni:
God means deity I get you... but it was a word the pagans used to call their deity ...

Same as olorun was a deity before we started calling Yahweh olorun

Same with chukwu before Christianity came and they started calling Yahweh chukwu

What I am saying is the origin of thethe word is pagan just like oluwa is Yoruba and chukwu is igbo.

They already have a deity they ascribe that recognition with before Christianity adopted it

No sir!
The question is, what is the NAME of the deities?

Oluwa simply mean LORD. Most cultures just call their deities by their TITLE.
The Title is not as important as the name of the deity.
For example:
Hausa and Arab Christians call their deity by the Title Allah (arabic word for deity)
Muslims also call their deity Allah (arabic word for deity)
However,
the identities of the two nomenclatures "Allah" is different.

For the Hausa or Arab Christian, the specific name of their Deity is Jehovah/Yahweh
There is not one Muslim in this world whose Deity has a name Jehovah/Yahweh

In other words, even though the title is the same and is a function of CULTURE and LANGUAGE, the identities are different.

God/god is an English WORD meaning DEITY and It has equivalence in every language and culture in this world
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by hupernikao: 12:48pm On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Let's leave the spiritual aspect now. The word itself is what we are speaking about

The word sin, is from a meaning, a wrong doing. A miss step. Isn't it? It is not about feeling guilt or cleansing. The word already showed you that you wrong someone, something. Or misstepped. Right?
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by LordReed(m): 1:22pm On Sep 11, 2021
hupernikao:

Let's leave the spiritual aspect now. The word itself is what we are speaking about

The word sin, is from a meaning, a wrong doing. A miss step. Isn't it? It is not about feeling guilt or cleansing. The word already showed you that you wrong someone, something. Or misstepped. Right?

Why do we need a new word when wrong or bad is just fine?
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Dtruthspeaker: 2:13pm On Sep 11, 2021
Franzinni:
haha I see you Crystal clear Sir, you are ignorant and set In Your ways, you believe what you know is final and will defend it with what ever comes to your mind, I an doubly sure I anam not the first person to tell you this.

The end of a dispute arrives when a questioneer no longer has any reasonable question to present.

And you ran out of any reasonable questions except to CHANGE POST and MOVE OVER TO NEW ISSUES. (CHANGE OF POSTS)

And Everytime You move over to a new issue, it is proof that you do not have any reasonable objection to make therefore you Lose the argument on that issue.

Franzinni:

In any case you don't have any answer to my questions so you resort to packing your comments with plenty gibberish to confuse the confused and inflate your self deception ...

Now you have resorted to Lies for every question you asked, I answered, YOU ONLY THOUGHT THAT I COULD NOT ANSWER THEM BUT YOU WERE SHOCKED I DID AND YOU WERE MORE EVEN SHOCKED THAT YOU COULD NOT REASONABLY COUNTER IT

So now, as the evil that you truly are, you have resorted to Lying!

Franzinni:

I will state this clearly ... I have no interest to influence anyone, I only share my beliefs.

Yet you came to raise up this thread, in here. Why did you not write it in your diary if you were not trying to influence anyone?

Franzinni:

Also the Judas issue of which I am sure you have scoured the internet for a come back as many scholars before you ... is a contradiction and nothing less.

grin See Confession! You were so shocked that you went scouring the internet wondering where I obtained my answer from so that you could fling it against me. grin

But now that you did not find it, you have come back to emptily repeat "is a contradiction" AFTER THE ISSUE HAS CLOSED AND IS SETTLED. Nna, Court has Closed. grin

Franzinni:

Likewise is the claim of the existence of unicorns in the bible but I guess you don't know that ..... yet

grin With your Evil Bias and Prejudgment, you are so evil, unfair and unjust that you would even argue or deny that today is not Saturday the 11th of September, 2021.

There is Nothing like Truth with you so I would be wasting my sweet time. And I hate wastages grin
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Franzinni: 2:17pm On Sep 11, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

The end of a dispute arrives when a questioneer no longer has any reasonable question to present.

And you ran out of any reasonable questions except to CHANGE POST and MOVE OVER TO NEW ISSUES. (CHANGE OF POSTS)

And Everytime You move over to a new issue, it is proof that you do not have any reasonable objection to make therefore you Lose the argument on that issue.

Now you have resorted to Lies for every question you asked, I answered, YOU ONLY THOUGHT THAT I COULD NOT ANSWER THEM BUT YOU WERE SHOCKED I DID AND YOU WERE MORE EVEN SHOCKED THAT YOU COULD NOT REASONABLY COUNTER IT

So now, as the evil that you truly are, you have resorted to Lying!

Yet you came to raise up this thread, in here. Why did you not write it in your diary if you were not trying to influence anyone?

grin See Confession! You were so shocked that you went scouring the internet wondering where I obtained my answer from so that you could fling it against me. grin

But now that you did not find it, you have come back to emptily repeat "is a contradiction" AFTER THE ISSUE HAS CLOSED AND IS SETTLED. Nna, Court has Closed. grin

grin With your Evil Bias and Prejudgment, you are so evil, unfair and unjust that you would even argue or deny that today is not Saturday the 11th of September, 2021.

There is Nothing like Truth with you so I would be wasting my sweet time. And I hate wastages grin

you only danced around the topic by filling your post with gibberish but hey what do I know, what you eat won't make me poop ...so we can agree to disagree
Peace.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 3:47pm On Sep 11, 2021
SlawG:
Elijah says "HI"

How are you Elijah, when are you resuming 1st term?
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 3:53pm On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

"bad" first known use is 13th century.
"sin" first known use is before 12th century.
"wrong" first known use is before 12th century.

But sin is the new word for my comic relief Reed.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by hupernikao: 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Is sin not an English word? Sin wasn't a spiritual word nah Bros. Is an English word, in English lexicon. So "we didn't find a new word", the word is there already.

So, doing wrong simply means to sin.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by LordReed(m): 4:44pm On Sep 11, 2021
hupernikao:

Is sin not an English word? Sin wasn't a spiritual word nah Bros. Is an English word, in English lexicon. So "we didn't find a new word", the word is there already.

So, doing wrong simply means to sin.

In your day to day life do you use sin to denote that which is wrong or bad? For instance when a shop keeper gives you the wrong change? When you see trash littered about? The only time you use it is with reference to religion. That's what I mean, it's not about how long the word has been around but what use you put it to. You don't use it other than for religious purposes.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by hupernikao: 5:21pm On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

In your day to day life do you use sin to denote that which is wrong or bad? For instance when a shop keeper gives you the wrong change? When you see trash littered about? The only time you use it is with reference to religion. That's what I mean, it's not about how long the word has been around but what use you put it to. You don't use it other than for religious purposes.

The word is an old word, don't forget to explain word within their time. Just like I won't use the word affright for afraid, asunder for apart, behold for see etc today. Is the same way, sin may not be used in day to day communication, but it's a word that fits and can be used in all endeavor of life today.

It's your tilt in life that let you feel it's religious word. Sin is a regular word in the Greco Roman age and Anglo Saxon culture.

Even shakespeare used it more in his writings.

Sonnet 142:
[i]Love is my sin, and thy dear virtue hate,
Hate of my sin, grounded on sinful loving.

You will find its usage well in contemporary writings of their age.

The reason it's more common around religion today is because, religious sects has most of the surviving manuscripts within man's history, hence the usage of words will be seen and maintained within such history and writings.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 6:39pm On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Silly silly excuses from a sly sinner.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by LordReed(m): 7:23pm On Sep 11, 2021
hupernikao:

The word is an old word, don't forget to explain word within their time. Just like I won't use the word affright for afraid, asunder for apart, behold for see etc today. Is the same way, sin may not be used in day to day communication, but it's a word that fits and can be used in all endeavor of life today.

It's your tilt in life that let you feel it's religious word. Sin is a regular word in the Greco Roman age and Anglo Saxon culture.

Even shakespeare used it more in his writings.

Sonnet 142:
[i]Love is my sin, and thy dear virtue hate,
Hate of my sin, grounded on sinful loving.

You will find its usage well in contemporary writings of their age.

The reason it's more common around religion today is because, religious sects has most of the surviving manuscripts within man's history, hence the usage of words will be seen and maintained within such history and writings.

You did not answer if you use the word other than in a religious context.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by Image123(m): 8:26pm On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Pointlessness. He schooled you in plain English already, why are you taking it personal? The word "sin" is not limited to religious use, simple. It's meaning is beyond moral uprightness like he stated. Your inability to accept simple points to take due to your sly nature is your main undoing. Even the Bible itself refers to humans sinning against one another but as the pope's son, you want to disgrace yourself yet again.
Re: God Is A Pagan Name... I Am Shocked! by hupernikao: 8:29pm On Sep 11, 2021
LordReed:

Yes I do. People use it too. And I pointed to you the reason it's not common around.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Cry In Church During Worship Section? / Homo Sapiens, See Your Histories / Pastor Adeboye’s Son Supports His Queen By Replicating Her Beautiful Haircut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.