Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,482 members, 7,812,495 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. (40106 Views)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Ameduedwin: 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2021
Nigeria as a nation is back Ward today is because of over depended on certification, triber and religious beliefs. it pain me whenever I read such thing like this. how can a professional employer ignoring a potential, skillful and technical applicant, all he or she went for is a mere certificate, the name of school you graduate from, your religious background and your tribe before you can be employed forgetting your contribution to the growth of The company. honestly Nigeria can not be great in this manner.

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Raxxye(m): 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide
PhD holders from public unis can't stand on same podium with you indeed!
Yet you can't differentiate between "being" and "been". Your tenses too are wack!
Empty bragging!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 17, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Apology for any typographical error
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..

There are companies also using the JAMB admission cut-off mark to screen off candidates or graduates who attended Universities with very low low low academic standards. imagine one Yobe University who admit JAMB candidates with cut-off marks of 140/150 geting into government and private companies in Lagos where the cut-off marks are between 250 - 300

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by 9gerian: 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2021
Not really. Be valuable (add value to yourself and be outstanding in your pursuit of excellence in your chosen field) and it won’t matter which school you attended.

A good course is better than a good school if you are able to bring good value to the table based on your qualifications.

A good school can only become more important when you are mediocre.

Cognitivereason:
Apology for any typographical error
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by vRendoh(m): 9:59pm On Sep 17, 2021
What matters is what you have upstairs. How much you know and can defend the course you read. Just as job opportunities is reducing likewise employers going for quality graduates. Luck and prayer should be number two in what you re offering on the table. Quality and defendable results should top your list.....these will sell you in the international market.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Terrier99: 9:59pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide

Which University did you attend bro?

4 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Asour: 10:01pm On Sep 17, 2021
JohnSin97:
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.

LoL.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Terrier99: 10:02pm On Sep 17, 2021
Poiu11:
kiss

You must be an incurable dunce. SW has 6 Federal universities. Common sense, you don't have. School, you didn't go.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by shegoon: 10:02pm On Sep 17, 2021
I disagree with u sir. If you cant meet up with the prerequisites stipulated by employer regardless of ur school then you are out. 2.1 is 2.1 everywhere.A graduate with 2.1 from gombe state university and 3rd class from OAU or UI. 2.1 will be called for aptitude test while 3rd class will not. All 2.1 will have the aptitude test or interview, now depend on how u proof urself.
BOOOMNAIJA:
Well, all I can say is that if there's a job opening in nnpc, Exxon Mobile, agip and d likes, and a 3rd class geology graduate of oau applies for d job with his contemporaries with first class from other universities, that oau geology graduate would definitely av an upper hand and would be considered before d others

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by iaamxavier(m): 10:05pm On Sep 17, 2021
One thing you should know is that medical courses are not Being discriminated. even if you study the pharmacy in a polytechnic, most employers don't care as long as u have the license and you're good upstairs.

But for other courses, I can agree with u. But not pharmacy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Kobicove(m): 10:11pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself .
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Hassanmaye(m): 10:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
sofiscatedmoron:
grin
I thought u we're joking untill i hear Gombe state university grin

That name alone is funny
Hahahhahahaha Bad boy
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Babastrong(m): 10:15pm On Sep 17, 2021
If the competition for a job is too stiff, the employer may decide to use your university or qualification as a criteria.
for example, when my elder brother finished his program in OAU(obafemi awolowo uni), an opportunity presents itself and he applied.
he said almost 1000 graduates applied for the job. The employer conducted an exam for them and only 200 of them passed the exam.
a month after, the qualified applicants(200) went for second test. On getting to the venue, the employer just told them this: if you're finished from state universities or you have anything less than 2.1, pls go home. At this point, the applicants remained 52 as i was told by my brother. They then conducted another exam for the remaining 52 applicants, of which only 2 of them were employed. My brother and a lady.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Hassanmaye(m): 10:15pm On Sep 17, 2021
JohnSin97:
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.
You are mad

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by SpatialKing(m): 10:17pm On Sep 17, 2021
I attended OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY Osogbo where i studied Applied Mathematics. ...
I came top and was the best during the practical assessment test of my current job. I was ahead of Msc and PhD graduates of top universities in Nigeria including UNN, OAU and UNILAG.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by WMD(m): 10:22pm On Sep 17, 2021
So you expect the employer to drop candidate from Gombe state uni even if he performed better than the guy from UI? Obviously some of you need to travel out of your myopic minds to acquire knowledge and stop this severe display of ignorance. You will be shocked at what is obtainable is some of this northern universities. Equipped ur self and stop trying to clinch on 'BIG' name(s) mst of which are existing on pass glory. Employers are wise bro

Omicron007:
grin

Imagine two applicants for a job interview.
One from Gombe State University and another from University of Ibadan.

What was I saying sef?

Which University did that vulture griller finish from?
I want to confirm something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by na2016: 10:28pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:

What do you mean? Do you have the later degree to know it's worth?
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Asour: 10:28pm On Sep 17, 2021
ednut1:
Some companies only recruit from certain universities for their graduate trainee programs. A top HR of one bank once mentioned it in a training i was attending.

True.

All good though, they run their company.
While I'm not surprised about this(since those schools serve as a filter for these firms in recruiting in ways the bank is biased towards), it probably serves to prove a point I have observed: which is that, racism , while a terrible vice, is a scapegoat and all other forms of vices(classism, Ageism, lookism, tribalism,etc.) in the Prejudice family continue almost unnoticed.

The very HR/Top executive perpetuating such recruitment practices (who I'd assume is Nigerian)
could find herself/himself abroad tomorrow in the US/Europe perhaps complaining about a prejudiced treatment meted out on him/her by those citizens— Forgetting about how he /she perpetuated discrimination back here.

Many Nigerians/Africans may never suffer racism in their lifetimes (especially because they would never leave the continent) but they'll suffer other prejudices in many ways back here.

May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by ednut1(m): 10:31pm On Sep 17, 2021
Asour:

True.

All good though, they run their company.
While I'm not surprised about this(since those schools serve as a filter for these firms in recruiting in ways the bank is biased towards), it probably serves to prove a point I have observed: which is that, racism , while a terrible vice, is a scapegoat and all other forms of vices(classism, Ageism, lookism, tribalism,etc.) in the Prejudice family continue almost unnoticed.

The very HR/Top executive perpetuating such recruitment practices (who I'd assume is Nigerian)
could find herself abroad tomorrow in the US/Europe perhaps complaining about a prejudiced treatment meted out on him/her by those citizens. Forgetting about how he /she perpetuated the same back here.

Many Nigerians/Africans may never suffer racism in their lifetimes (especially because they would never leave the continent) but they'll suffer other prejudices in many ways back here.

May God help us.

no state universities allowed for their graduates trainees. Only federal unis in some places and covenant, babcock . It was sad and disgusting to hear
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by lastchild: 10:32pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself .
it's not true, no matter how you present yourself, the school you attended can bring down your rate.

that's just the Nigeria mentality, why do you think people run to Europe to study, despite that some schools in Europe can't be compared with "university of Ibadan" there's one in Belgium that their citizens mocks, but the moment a Nigerian graduated with 3rd class from such low rated University and comes back to Nigeria, automatically he supercedes a first class student in UI.

if you said you graduated from unilag, in their minds they'll always rate you higher than someone that graduated from "Nigerian international Atlantic something something university"

that's just the fact, no matter how you present yourself

so i advise people to go for notable universities, e get why
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by elbulk(m): 10:33pm On Sep 17, 2021
JohnSin97:

That you grew up in the south and that's all you know doesn't' mean that's all there is. What are your indices? That I attended any of these schools doesn't make me sharper.
By your "standards" then schools like ABU, Zaria, University of Jos should be on this list but it doesn't work that way. What you know and how you present yourself is what puts you ahead. Even the Zenith Bank CEO graduated from Auchi Poly but obviously put in the work and has a lot of people from your OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech working for him.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Nigeriainpeace: 10:36pm On Sep 17, 2021
JohnSin97:

I did no see ABU Zaria on the list
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by elbulk(m): 10:37pm On Sep 17, 2021
Babastrong:
If the competition for a job is too stiff, the employer may decide to use your university or qualification as a criteria.
for example, when my elder brother finished his program in OAU(obafemi awolowo uni), an opportunity presents itself and he applied.
he said almost 1000 graduates applied for the job. The employer conducted an exam for them and only 200 of them passed the exam.
a month after, the qualified applicants(200) went for second test. On getting to the venue, the employer just told them this: if you're finished from state universities or you have anything less than 2.1, pls go home. At this point, the applicants remained 52 as i was told by my brother. They then conducted another exam for the remaining 52 applicants, of which only 2 of them were employed. My brother and a lady.

Must e an insecticide sales job. This story must've been from 1982. I've been working for more than 10 years and serious employers seek skill. Wen a KPMG says they want a 2:1 that's the criteria regardless of school attended.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by SirLakes: 10:38pm On Sep 17, 2021
You were not informed too grin

If it's not from a top University, some companies will trash your application.

You won't get a chance to prove yourself sad
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Asour: 10:38pm On Sep 17, 2021
ednut1:
no state universities allowed for their graduates trainees. Only federal unis in some places and covenant, babcock . It was sad and disgusting to hear

If it's a bank, I suspect it's an Image / deposit marketing strategy. Generally, such "posh" kids would be more predisposed to attract deposits.

Good for them though. Almost all humans are biased even the ones complaining about this approach. God help us.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Godseed: 10:39pm On Sep 17, 2021
There is no greater reality than what you have been told. Unless you are desperate to put the blame on someone or something else other than yourself.
Corporate organisations are looking for problem solvers not passengers.
"No vacancy" is really directed at common skills and the holders of such. Creative and innovative persons are sought after. It's not uncommon that a company is not even aware of what it is lacking until someone with the right skill sets comes along. Federal Republic of Egypt didn't know it needed a prime minister until a slave called Joseph showed up.
So I repeat those words of wisdom, "know your onions'.

Fundamentalist:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by yinks77: 10:42pm On Sep 17, 2021
Those of you that have never been to the north are getting it wrong. Many lecturers in the Northern Universities are as good as those in the south. Some northern universities even have better facilities e.g ABU Zaria, Usman Danfidio Sokoto, UNIMAID among others
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by JohnSin97: 10:49pm On Sep 17, 2021
elbulk:

Must e an insecticide sales job. This story must've been from 1982. I've been working for more than 10 years and serious employers seek skill. Wen a KPMG says they want a 2:1 that's the criteria regardless of school attended.

grin is KPMG taking 2.1 graduates from National open university ?

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gireiboy(m): 10:50pm On Sep 17, 2021
NaWeDeyHere:

There are companies also using the JAMB admission cut-off mark to screen off candidates or graduates who attended Universities with very low low low academic standards. imagine one Yobe University who admit JAMB candidates with cut-off marks of 40 geting into government and private companies in Lagos where the cut-off marks are between 250 - 300
Which university in Nigeria admits students with a cut off mark of 40? seriously! what is wrong with you guys?

4 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Asour: 10:50pm On Sep 17, 2021
lastchild:
it's not true, no matter how you present yourself, the school you attended can bring down your rate.

that's just the Nigeria mentality, why do you think people run to Europe to study, despite that some schools in Europe can't be compared with "university of Ibadan" there's one in Belgium that their citizens mocks, but the moment a Nigerian graduated with 3rd class from such low rated University and comes back to Nigeria, automatically he supercedes a first class student in UI.

if you said you graduated from unilag, in their minds they'll always rate you higher than someone that graduated from "Nigerian international Atlantic something something university"

that's just the fact, no matter how you present yourself

so i advise people to go for notable universities, e get why

You're right. But funny enough, was is currently UI was a distant learning centre to the University of London in the 1940s.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by komodapson(m): 10:51pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:

A State University you're not proud to mention...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Worker Threatens To Resign Over Thanksgiving Turkey, Shocks Nigerian / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.