Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,429 members, 7,812,264 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. (40104 Views)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FreeStuffsNG: 7:58am On Sep 18, 2021
[quote author=masui post=105927491][/quote]

The Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom is HE Udom and he's the Akokite, not HE Ayade of Cross Rivers state who is a Uite.
Good morning sir.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by VTJN(m): 8:12am On Sep 18, 2021
hrykanu231:

I experienced this first hand during my M.Sc oral interview in 2013. The names they called my previous school was disheartening, primarily because it was a state school in an area comsiderd academically less developed.
They pushed the narrative further by telling me that, my 2:1will be a very low 2:2 if I had my first degree in their school.

Well, when the interview began, they didn't know when they started clapping. In the end, the guy who had his B.Sc in "wawa" state, had the highest score(82%) and topped his M.Sc class.

That's interesting

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by sofiscatedmoron: 8:13am On Sep 18, 2021
Ivimmanuel:
pls what's funny about the name, how does Chukwuemeka odimegwu ojukwu university, sound or ondo state university most of these state owned universities are new and will get better with time and appropriate funding. You guys need to stop been sarcastic with everything.

Btw I don't think there's pharmacy at home state university
Its not your fault bro, U wont understand because u wont grin
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by trevorhorace(m): 8:17am On Sep 18, 2021
DECLAN2015:

It is just a bragging write
But some are good and si other students from other university.
Nobody has monopoly of knowledge.
We like name too much here.

It's the same all over the world. Some top global companies only employ HAVARD or MIT graduates.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by poweredcom(m): 8:21am On Sep 18, 2021
Who university help
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by masui(m): 8:25am On Sep 18, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

The Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom is HE Udom and he's the Akokite, not HE Ayade of Cross Rivers state who is a Uite.
Good morning sir.

Ok Sir.
Went back to check your comment this time more closely. Forgive my oversight Sir.

Anyway, he is still a waste pipe.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Misternas89(m): 8:31am On Sep 18, 2021
Respect55:
If you are still using "am" instead of "I'm" as a graduate, you surely deserve worse treatment.
I hate that shit like mad bros. Seeing a graduate types (am) instead of (I’m) always pain me to the marrow. E dey always do me like say make I slap them walai. And these are people always forming “woke” most times.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Powersurge: 9:08am On Sep 18, 2021
Caseless:
This is how we all think - my university gives the most stress, tough questions and tough time.

In your own myopic thinking, people in usman danfodiyo university are not intelligent, you are. Northerners don't "know book, only southerners do"... As if Usman Danfodiyo university is only attended by the Northerners. Why are the southerners there not making 1st class?

I thought you were going to call one serious university, only to see you name that Headquarters of cultism and citadel of criminality as the university to measure intelligence of others with.

The fact that cultists graduate from your school shows how the lecturers compromise to get them free landing for fear of their lives. Is it not UNIBEN where have lecturers giving mark or grades in exchange for sex? You have cultist lecturers and all, and you think it's still a great school to score cheap points with.

It's a compromised system. Anyone can do better there. How are sure your marketing course, no be tidy you take run am? Una still de buy lecturer handout and material sha

I was thinking you reasonable. My bad. 80% of those in those schools have applied to first generation university but didn't meet up. Or wants to go. Yes an average person in those schools have lower educational capacity. Just like giving the the chance, 80% of students in polytechnics would jettison that for university.

It's like saying everybody can attend Havard. Of course you can try, but the requirements would sieve out the less brilliant ones. Usman Danfodio and the likes are advanced secondary schools.

Universities get mate. If u don't believe that, then you are dumber than I give you credit for.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by turkeyman: 9:16am On Sep 18, 2021
No the vulture griller no go school,who dash am, na form 6 graduate him be, person wey resit common entrance
Omicron007:
grin

Imagine two applicants for a job interview.
One from Gombe State University and another from University of Ibadan.

What was I saying sef?

Which University did that vulture griller finish from?
I want to confirm something.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Mac2016(m): 10:07am On Sep 18, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide
I advise you go to a competitive school. It happens everywhere. Something always precedes the evaluation of true knowledge that's why no one would be willing to evaluate a mechanic that could be talented in discharging your academic duties. If you go to a good school, it would be easy to give you trust in credit (in advance) otherwise, you have to start proving yourself and most HR have no time for that. There are numerous CVs to see.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 18, 2021
FairlyUSEDpussy:
[s][/s]

Trash!!!
Beautiful in what sense

Structurally??u think just that makes a school beautiful??

How bout their research work??

BTW.........have u been to other state universities to know its the best in Nigeria??

Who gave the rating??
I know u have another university in mind, who did ur rating?
I was talking abt beauty and no university from the category I mentioned can match Gombe State University. You're talking abt research but u can't make simple research with comparison that can prove my verdict. Fortunately, I've been to nooks and crannies of Nigeria, have seen a lot but someone who might never set his foot outside his zone is arguing in pain and jealousy.

Go and research a little....
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 11:01am On Sep 18, 2021
Coronabirus:

I know u have another university in mind, who did ur rating?
I was talking abt beauty and no university from the category I mentioned can match Gombe State University. You're talking abt research but u can't make simple research with comparison that can prove my verdict. Fortunately, I've been to nooks and crannies of Nigeria, have seen a lot but someone who might never set his foot outside his zone is arguing in pain and jealousy.

Go and research a little....

Oga........u the pained one here.........
Your case is that of someone who hasn't been to others farm.........but keep claiming he/she has the best farmland........

BTW.......out of the 36 in nigeria have visited 20 state already........

Stop being ignoramous.........

U see yo life..........school is rated according to academic research work..........

If it were based on structural building.........private uni would be the to 10.......

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by 1F30M4(f): 12:14pm On Sep 18, 2021
I'm going to be very honest here, it happens a whole lot and not just in Nigeria but then do not let that deter you in any way.. Be resilient, build your capacity, broaden your horizon, develop premium content, exude positive energy & vibes and I promise you'll be fine.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by edoairways: 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2021
FairlyUSEDpussy:
[s][/s]

Not because is the best??
Why didnt he pick either lasu or yabatech then??
They still both in the same Lagos nah......
Do you know personally? . Do you work with him?
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 1:07pm On Sep 18, 2021
edoairways:

Do you know personally? . Do you work with him?

Oga......try get my point nah....

Attending unilag had give him more sense of pride.......than any other institution in lagos......

Simply because unilag is the best here........and has enough successful alumni to show prove.........

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by vikyno(m): 1:33pm On Sep 18, 2021
What about people like me that graduated from a University in Cotonou? Does it mean we should go to Benin republic, Senegal or Togo to look for work?
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by edoairways: 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2021
FairlyUSEDpussy:

Oga......try get my point nah....

Attending unilag had give him more sense of pride.......than any other institution in lagos......

Simply because unilag is the best here........and has enough successful alumni to show prove.........
Attending Unilag didn't do anything Mr. That man is good. Ayo Makun aka Ay graduated from Delta State University yet he has achieved alot. You got to understand that the school you attended has no relationship with success. This is one of the lies sold to the public
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by gentleibraheem(m): 2:04pm On Sep 18, 2021
I Feel like every Northerner needs to be on NL.
it made me strong. I get this motivation to prove them wrong not by been a keyboard warrior but been the best in everything I do.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by udeh3(m): 2:08pm On Sep 18, 2021
Gerrard59:

That's not true. The minimum grade required in those companies is 2'1, so no chance for a third class graduate regardless of the grade.

You just lied... I've been with NNPC since 2015, nothing of such existed and will ever exist. Infact, I entered with my HND. The minimum is an upper both with the Polytechnic or University, except for lower with a master.

I've passed through firms built on standards and I can tell you, the school you finished has nothing to do with you getting the upper hand in an interview.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by udeh3(m): 2:13pm On Sep 18, 2021
Gerrard59:

It's not low key but a standing policy. Access Bank does not recruit from most state universities. Only LASU and a few other state universities.

So, where's the so-called Access Bank in the rating of Banks in Nigeria?
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gerrard59(m): 2:13pm On Sep 18, 2021
udeh3:

You just lied... I've been with NNPC since 2015, nothing of such existed and will ever exist. Infact, I entered with my HND. The minimum is an upper both with the Polytechnic or University, except for lower with a master.

I've passed through firms built on standards and I can tell you, the school you finished has nothing to do with you getting the upper hand in an interview.

Please go through the post I quoted to understand that your reply is off point.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by udeh3(m): 2:18pm On Sep 18, 2021
edoairways:

Attending Unilag didn't do anything Mr. That man is good. Ayo Makun aka Ay graduated from Delta State University yet he has achieved alot. You got to understand that the school you attended has no relationship with success. This is one of the lies sold to the public

Trust me... He's one of the least comedian but the most creative. He created a platform to make millions. Today, he has via his platform promoted lots of comedians with the so-called A-list University. Pastor Chris went to AAU. Today, he's one of the most exposed teacher of the Word
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gerrard59(m): 2:18pm On Sep 18, 2021
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by BIGNAME2020: 2:30pm On Sep 18, 2021
Cognitivereason:
True..ur comment is more of an encouragement... But the reality is what am asking about.. We know of the HND discrimination but....
When it comes to having a BSc from a less competitive school probably from the north..despite having a 2.1 or better..can that person be looked down on compared to those from competitive schools...

I ask cuz I have heard of such and I don't know if it really a thing in the Nigerian society..
In engineering for example despite the fact that it almost same syllabus in all fed of state university... A 2.1 graduate from FUTO or FUTA might be preferred over a 2.1 or even first class from let say taraba state university or so...

You're not informed. You think northern universities are underrated? Schools like UniMaid, ABU, BUK ATBU are top universities in Nigeria. With your money you can't penetrate any lecturer to dash you mark. Unlike these southern corrupt universities dashing professorial rank because of money and kpekus.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by TheManOfTheYear: 2:31pm On Sep 18, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
Well, all I can say is that if there's a job opening in nnpc, Exxon Mobile, agip and d likes, and a 3rd class geology graduate of oau applies for d job with his contemporaries with first class from other universities, that oau geology graduate would definitely av an upper hand and would be considered before d others
You're talking trash
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Ivimmanuel: 2:40pm On Sep 18, 2021
sofiscatedmoron:

Its not your fault bro, U wont understand because u wont grin

What is there to understand, I have a test of both schools in South and in the north so what are you saying? Does it mean lecturers there who are southerners also have low IQ? You guys really have to stop looking at northerners as retards, stop the hatred.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 2:58pm On Sep 18, 2021
edoairways:

Attending Unilag didn't do anything Mr. That man is good. [s]Ayo Makun aka Ay graduated from Delta State University yet he has achieved alot[/s]. You got to understand that the school you attended has no relationship with success. This is one of the lies sold to the public

I hate when people jump on my mention.......
Calm down and read what lead to my reply.....

So??
Is Ay makun the only entertainer doing good??
So likes of.....
Bro shaggi.....
Helen paul......
Mr macaroni.......
Teju babyface......
Linda ikeji.......
Tunde ednut......
Gbajabiamila(speaker of rep)
Oyetola(osun gov)
Osinbajo(vice president)
Fayemi(ekiti gov)....
Gabriel suswam(former benue gov).....
Willie obinno(anambra gov)....
Ambode(immidiate past gov of Lagos)......
Udom Emmanuel (past gov of always ibom)
Ohakim (former gov of IMO)........
Are all lagos alumni but doing badly according to u right

Do u want to compare ABU university.........that had produced A PRESIDENT,3VPs and 25 governors to relatively unknown GOMBE STATE FEDERAL UNIVERSITY??

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Shikena(m): 3:00pm On Sep 18, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
@OP.
Since you want a sincere response, please don't let anyone decieve you o, the calibre of university you attend matters. It's not only considered in Nigeria, it's done all over the world. In some countries and even here in Nigeria, even the calibre of Secondary school you attend matters too.

While it is true that in reality, we can't all attend high calibre universities but for university education, in particular, do not settle for less . If you have what it takes to attend high calibre university, please go for it. Those attending and finishing from those universities do not have two heads while some folks did not make those universities because of poor preparation and some of the kind of low quality advice you are being given here.

I always advice that in Nigeria, work very hard to attend and graduate from the the first generation universities of UNILAG, UNN, OAU, ABU and UI. In Nigeria, it is these 5 universities and the others. Shikena!

Just by reminder, just look at the array of alumni UNILAG is parading in this picture in 2021. 4 out of 6 governors in the SW are from a single university; University of Lagos (UNILAG) and someone is suggesting to you that it's a fluke? 3 governors from the SS attended UI( Edo, Delta & Cross Rivers) and one governor finished from UNILAG( Akwa Ibom). And even the Governor of Anambra state is an alumnus of UNILAG!

I know organizations that hire from only those 5 and most of them are leaders in their industries. Top consultancy firms particularly get talents from these universities. Have you not wondered why the best graduating student in UNILAG this year was already in Shell?

If you can, please attend only among those 5 but if you can't for first degree, attend them for second degree. By the time you graduate from any of these 5, you will know the difference. Those who didn't attend those 5 high calibre universities can't advice you that it doesn't matter. They want you to settle for less.
The truth and nothing but the truth. If you can't go to the listed universities, find a postgraduate diploma or full masters program so you can have one of them on your CV. There will always be some exceptions but stop fighting a battle that you cannot win, or too difficult to win. The huge influence of the alumni network of those first 5 Nigerian universities is real! Life is short and you have a lot to do.

5 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Shikena(m): 3:06pm On Sep 18, 2021
greatestman:

Same South West that I am doing my second degree?
Thank God I came down to South West.
People say what they don't know or hear say.
I did my First Degree in a University of Technology at North. And is way rigorous.
I am topping my class at the moment.
Many of my friends have secured competitive scholarships in USA, UK, GERMANY and China etc.
Second degree is always easier anywhere though - you are already a 'senior student' with real life experience on how the system works grin

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by edoairways: 4:59pm On Sep 18, 2021
FairlyUSEDpussy:

I hate when people jump on my mention.......
Calm down and read what lead to my reply.....

So??
Is Ay makun the only entertainer doing good??
So likes of.....
Bro shaggi.....
Helen paul......
Mr macaroni.......
Teju babyface......
Linda ikeji.......
Tunde ednut......
Gbajabiamila(speaker of rep)
Oyetola(osun gov)
Osinbajo(vice president)
Fayemi(ekiti gov)....
Gabriel suswam(former benue gov).....
Willie obinno(anambra gov)....
Ambode(immidiate past gov of Lagos)......
Udom Emmanuel (past gov of always ibom)
Ohakim (former gov of IMO)........
Are all lagos alumni but doing badly according to u right

Do u want to compare ABU university.........that had produced A PRESIDENT,3VPs and 25 governors to relatively unknown GOMBE STATE FEDERAL UNIVERSITY??
I mentioned you because you gave a false information. And please stop this lie of Universities producing students. Those graduate paid and worked hard to get to where they are. This is one of the lies sold in media
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by edoairways: 5:05pm On Sep 18, 2021
udeh3:

Trust me... He's one of the least comedian but the most creative. He created a platform to make millions. Today, he has via his platform promoted lots of comedians with the so-called A-list University. Pastor Chris went to AAU. Today, he's one of the most exposed teacher of the Word

He is creative because he worked for it not his school. Pastor Chris Oyakhilome worked to attain that height because he worked for it. You got to work hard before becoming someone in life not necessary by degree as buttressed by someone up there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Worker Threatens To Resign Over Thanksgiving Turkey, Shocks Nigerian / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.