Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,397 members, 7,812,166 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. (40101 Views)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Fundamentalist: 10:52pm On Sep 17, 2021
Eeser:

You are right. Cause some professors from Harvard can't stand on the same podium with a university drop-out like Bill Gates.

it's good I am not jobless like you.

Southerners are amongst the worst people to interact with.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Fundamentalist: 10:53pm On Sep 17, 2021
komodapson:

A State University you're not proud to mention...
undecided
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Fundamentalist: 10:56pm On Sep 17, 2021
lastchild:
it's not true, no matter how you present yourself, the school you attended can bring down your rate.

that's just the Nigeria mentality, why do you think people run to Europe to study, despite that some schools in Europe can't be compared with "university of Ibadan" there's one in Belgium that their citizens mocks, but the moment a Nigerian graduated with 3rd class from such low rated University and comes back to Nigeria, automatically he supercedes a first class student in UI.

if you said you graduated from unilag, in their minds they'll always rate you higher than someone that graduated from "Nigerian international Atlantic something something university"

that's just the fact, no matter how you present yourself

so i advise people to go for notable universities, e get why

And you'd be applying for jobs in the less notable ones sad after you graduate.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gamesmart: 11:00pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide

It is clear what the quality of the state university you graduated from is.

Nuff said!

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by NairaMaster1(m): 11:03pm On Sep 17, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Apology for any typographical error
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..

Gombe state university won't give you pharmacy even with you 350 in JAMB.

It is for indigens of Gombe and very competitive.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Nigeriainpeace: 11:07pm On Sep 17, 2021
You people who have traveled round should tell me more about abu please, I intend going there to run a program but I'm being skeptical about the insecure challenge.

ABU vs UNN which is better
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by NairaMaster1(m): 11:08pm On Sep 17, 2021
Cognitivereason:
True..ur comment is more of an encouragement... But the reality is what am asking about.. We know of the HND discrimination but....
When it comes to having a BSc from a less competitive school probably from the north..despite having a 2.1 or better..can that person be looked down on compared to those from competitive schools...

I ask cuz I have heard of such and I don't know if it really a thing in the Nigerian society..
In engineering for example despite the fact that it almost same syllabus in all fed of state university... A 2.1 graduate from FUTO or FUTA might be preferred over a 2.1 or even first class from let say taraba state university or so...

From this respone one can clearly deduce that you have a very low self esteem. Kindly work on yourself. Don't pick offense. This is a great diagnosis on you.

If you are a product of UNILAG and the interviewer is a product of Gombe state university, he will not even look at the UNILAG interviewee. He will go for his fellow GSU graduate.

Work on yourself. Have a very high self esteem.

4 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Cognitivereason: 11:12pm On Sep 17, 2021
So how about this..
I go to a top notch school like UI but I study a more or less bad course like fishery or educational course I go to an average school or less competitive school Like kogi state uni but studying a top notch course like engineering..
Which is better
lastchild:
it's not true, no matter how you present yourself, the school you attended can bring down your rate.

that's just the Nigeria mentality, why do you think people run to Europe to study, despite that some schools in Europe can't be compared with "university of Ibadan" there's one in Belgium that their citizens mocks, but the moment a Nigerian graduated with 3rd class from such low rated University and comes back to Nigeria, automatically he supercedes a first class student in UI.

if you said you graduated from unilag, in their minds they'll always rate you higher than someone that graduated from "Nigerian international Atlantic something something university"

that's just the fact, no matter how you present yourself

so i advise people to go for notable universities, e get why
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Aurelius1(m): 11:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
kmcutez:

Lol.
Bad girl. cheesy
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by rosalieene(f): 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2021
Lowkey, banks like Access bank discriminate.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Aurelius1(m): 11:17pm On Sep 17, 2021
Gamesmart:

Nuff said!
This is someone who is boasting that he is better than most PhD holders.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Iamfemi(m): 11:18pm On Sep 17, 2021
It's s quite funny that some people don't know this thing happens a lot in those HR offices.

I have this experience first hand some years back. It was a recruitment conducted by HR Index in Ikoyi for Access Bank Plc for the role of a Contact Center Agent. HR Index subjected us to series of tests ranging from CBT, essay writing and oral interview. Those guys grilled our ass out cos they don't want any of us to be turned down from their client.

The successful guys were seconded to Access Bank. On getting to Access Bank Head Office. We were billed to meet with the ED HR, a woman. For an interactive session. She asked that each of us will be called upon one after the other. In short, we exhausted that process that day and left in high hope that soon we shall be asked to proceed for documentation and others.

After a month that we didn't hear from them. Some of us decide to check on them. It was then we realized that some of the guys we did the whole thing have resumed. Then news have it that the ED being an AKOKITE approved the take-in of all AKOKITES amongst us and other federal varsity grads too. While we the state uni guys are rejected. This sentiment for federal grads against state grads is real.

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Limassol(m): 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2021
Omicron007:
grin

Imagine two applicants for a job interview.
One from Gombe State University and another from University of Ibadan.

What was I saying sef?

Which University did that vulture griller finish from?
I want to confirm something.
The key words are competency and brilliance. Not all employers are swept away by the uni one attended.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Tayorshd2(m): 11:23pm On Sep 17, 2021
It's dosnt really count though but your performayand personal skill count in the area of application or firm needed ok...
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2021
Gireiboy:

Which university in Nigeria admits students with a cut off mark of [b]140? [/b]seriously! what is wrong with you guys?

I meant 140 UTME score

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by DECLAN2015(m): 11:28pm On Sep 17, 2021
JohnSin97:
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.

Lol.. Jim Ovia has B.Sc. degree in Business Administration from Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA and not Auchi Poly. It's was Tony Elumelu that went to Ambrose Ali University (note that Ambrose Ali of the 80s had a very high educational standard, thanks to the man it was named after) but even Tony elemelu still went and got a Master's from Unilag and he hardly identifies as someone who went to AAU. My indices is the fact that when you look at this schools which I listed, it has and known to produce some of the smartest people in nigeria, if you even look at tech start-ups as an example that have gone national in the past 10years they usually come from this universities. Plus have you noticed that in top universities in the south you hardly see any northerner....most abokis won't cope in a school like oau, one year in Whitehouse and they'd drop out.

Nothing spectacular about OAU and co
I have come across students from those school some are good no doubts but some are just like any normal students from any university.some of the school u look down even sometime have rigorous academic activities just because they want to prove a point .

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by OriOko88(m): 11:30pm On Sep 17, 2021
If you're brilliant and also has high self esteem,forget about discrimination based on sch attended.
I went for an interview in 2019 in a oil processing plant in Ogun state. Out of about 30 interviewees,I was d only one with HND in agricultural extention and management, others were bsc holders from ui,oau,lautech. Though others too came prepared but I think I also tried cos d female interviewer told me I impressed her despite being d only one with HND. I was given an offer but I couldn't work there because of d remote area d factory was situated and accommodation issue. So it doesn't necessary matters if youre an egg head.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by DECLAN2015(m): 11:31pm On Sep 17, 2021
trevorhorace:
Surely it will present itself at some point. It's also a reality that graduates from high ranking universities may already enjoy special immunity due to the reputation these universities have built over the years. But it's all just bragging rights. Good employers are only interested in how you can take their company forward in the long run.

It is just a bragging write
But some are good and si other students from other university.
Nobody has monopoly of knowledge.
We like name too much here.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by DECLAN2015(m): 11:33pm On Sep 17, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
Well, all I can say is that if there's a job opening in nnpc, Exxon Mobile, agip and d likes, and a 3rd class geology graduate of oau applies for d job with his contemporaries with first class from other universities, that oau geology graduate would definitely av an upper hand and would be considered before d others

Lie Mohammed

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FreeStuffsNG: 11:35pm On Sep 17, 2021
@OP.
Since you want a sincere response, please don't let anyone decieve you o, the calibre of university you attend matters. It's not only considered in Nigeria, it's done all over the world. In some countries and even here in Nigeria, even the calibre of Secondary school you attend matters too.

While it is true that in reality, we can't all attend high calibre universities but for university education, in particular, do not settle for less . If you have what it takes to attend high calibre university, please go for it. Those attending and finishing from those universities do not have two heads while some folks did not make those universities because of poor preparation and some of the kind of low quality advice you are being given here.

I always advice that in Nigeria, work very hard to attend and graduate from the the first generation universities of UNILAG, UNN, OAU, ABU and UI. In Nigeria, it is these 5 universities and the others. Shikena!

Just by reminder, just look at the array of alumni UNILAG is parading in this picture in 2021. 4 out of 6 governors in the SW are from a single university; University of Lagos (UNILAG) and someone is suggesting to you that it's a fluke? 3 governors from the SS attended UI( Edo, Delta & Cross Rivers) and one governor finished from UNILAG( Akwa Ibom). And even the Governor of Anambra state is an alumnus of UNILAG!

I know organizations that hire from only those 5 and most of them are leaders in their industries. Top consultancy firms particularly get talents from these universities. Have you not wondered why the best graduating student in UNILAG this year was already in Shell?

If you can, please attend only among those 5 but if you can't for first degree, attend them for second degree. By the time you graduate from any of these 5, you will know the difference. Those who didn't attend those 5 high calibre universities can't advice you that it doesn't matter. They want you to settle for less.

10 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by TurnNewLeaf: 11:36pm On Sep 17, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide
chief may you live long because of this comment.
God bless you real good

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by TurnNewLeaf: 11:37pm On Sep 17, 2021
Gamesmart:

Nuff said!
grin grin grin
awon fault finders.
so far you comprehend his message bro
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Greggyyy: 11:41pm On Sep 17, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Apology for any typographical error
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..
How well do you know pharmacy as a course?
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by kevyngbash(m): 11:55pm On Sep 17, 2021
Imagine that I am interviewing candidates for a position and the min requirement is a university degree

First the CV passed through the HR to match requirement with what is contained in the CV. That level sef will knock you out if U ur CV no get quality or u mo arrange am well

During the interview gongon, what u say takes u past the state. Whether Gombe or FUTA of u can’t prove that u know why u are there then bye bye. The school no matter at that point

Just hearing the names may give u impression but if u get to an interview it may not matter again if u do better than the FUTO and FUTA

General sha, the environment you study dey also add quality to you even when u leave school. That’s where Gombe or FUTA comes in

Omicron007:
grin

Imagine two applicants for a job interview.
One from Gombe State University and another from University of Ibadan.

What was I saying sef?

Which University did that vulture griller finish from?
I want to confirm something.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by opeyemmmy(m): 11:59pm On Sep 17, 2021
ednut1:
Some companies only recruit from certain universities for their graduate trainee programs. A top HR of one bank once mentioned it in a training i was attending.

Say the name with your full chest. undecided
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Cousin9999: 12:07am On Sep 18, 2021
University ranking and/or reputation will open doors faster and easier. But if someone is a f---ing mōrōn, it's irrelevant. So as long as you're not an ídiót, you should be fine.

[img]https://c./wus78i_vUk0AAAAM/magic-mind-blown.gif[/img]
[img]https://c./pMRFh3j8gvIAAAAC/the-office-finger-guns.gif[/img]
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by ednut1(m): 12:07am On Sep 18, 2021
opeyemmmy:

Say the name with your full chest. undecided
u still dey nairaland ni, full breast ni
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Vision101(m): 12:07am On Sep 18, 2021
@FreeStuffsNG
@OP.
Since you want a sincere response, please don't let anyone decieve you o, the calibre of university you attend matters. It's not only considered in Nigeria, it's done all over the world. In some countries and even here in Nigeria, even the calibre of Secondary school you attend matters too.

While it is true that in reality, we can't all attend high calibre universities but for university education, in particular, do not settle for less . If you have what it takes to attend high calibre university, please go for it. Those attending and finishing from those universities do not have two heads while some folks did not make those universities because of poor preparation and some of the kind of low quality advice you are being given here.

I always advice that in Nigeria, work very hard to attend and graduate from the the first generation universities of UNILAG, UNN, OAU, ABU and UI. In Nigeria, it is these 5 universities and the others. Shikena!

Just by reminder, just look at the array of alumni UNILAG is parading in this picture in 2021. 4 out of 6 governors in the SW are from a single university; University of Lagos (UNILAG) and someone is suggesting to you that it's a fluke? 3 governors from the SS attended UI( Edo, Delta & Cross Rivers) and one governor finished from UNILAG( Akwa Ibom). And even the Governor of Anambra state is an alumnus of UNILAG!

I know organizations that hire from only those 5 and most of them are leaders in their industries. Top consultancy firms particularly get talents from these universities. Have you not wondered why the best graduating student in UNILAG this year was already in Shell?

If you can, please attend only among those 5 but if you can't for first degree, attend them for second degree. By the time you graduate from any of these 5, you will know the difference. Those who didn't attend those 5 high calibre universities can't advice you that it doesn't matter. They want you to settle for less.

@me
Very correct. Even abroad the first thing to check is rating. Don't attend schools that employers will be asking you: where is this one.

All schools are not school because some are more school than the others. Even in heaven there is rank.

4 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by edoairways: 12:10am On Sep 18, 2021
JohnSin97:
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.

Lol.. Jim Ovia has B.Sc. degree in Business Administration from Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA and not Auchi Poly. It's was Tony Elumelu that went to Ambrose Ali University (note that Ambrose Ali of the 80s had a very high educational standard, thanks to the man it was named after) but even Tony elemelu still went and got a Master's from Unilag and he hardly identifies as someone who went to AAU. My indices is the fact that when you look at this schools which I listed, it has and known to produce some of the smartest people in nigeria, if you even look at tech start-ups as an example that have gone national in the past 10years they usually come from this universities. Plus have you noticed that in top universities in the south you hardly see any northerner....most abokis won't cope in a school like oau, one year in Whitehouse and they'd drop out.
Tony elemelu choose Unilag for master because of convenience not necessary because " it is the best"
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Respect55(m): 12:16am On Sep 18, 2021
If you are still using "am" instead of "I'm" as a graduate, you surely deserve worse treatment.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by edoairways: 12:17am On Sep 18, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
Well, all I can say is that if there's a job opening in nnpc, Exxon Mobile, agip and d likes, and a 3rd class geology graduate of oau applies for d job with his contemporaries with first class from other universities, that oau geology graduate would definitely av an upper hand and would be considered before d others
Lia Mohammed well-done �. NNPC doesn't give a damn about your school provided you can deliver.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by hansomb: 12:20am On Sep 18, 2021
Mrxawe:
It's worse with those who attended polytechnics and those who attended northern universities. It's just terrible.
but most Northern university are very competitive than some southern university. You can hardly bribe your way through most Northern university, say Bayero university.. You must read to pass.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Worker Threatens To Resign Over Thanksgiving Turkey, Shocks Nigerian / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.