Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,410 members, 7,812,215 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. (40103 Views)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by elbulk(m): 7:39pm On Sep 18, 2021
JohnSin97:

grin is KPMG taking 2.1 graduates from National open university ?
Why won't they? If you're invited and you pass the test then for sure
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by elbulk(m): 7:52pm On Sep 18, 2021
JohnSin97:
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.

Lol.. Jim Ovia has B.Sc. degree in Business Administration from Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA and not Auchi Poly. It's was Tony Elumelu that went to Ambrose Ali University (note that Ambrose Ali of the 80s had a very high educational standard, thanks to the man it was named after) but even Tony elemelu still went and got a Master's from Unilag and he hardly identifies as someone who went to AAU. My indices is the fact that when you look at this schools which I listed, it has and known to produce some of the smartest people in nigeria, if you even look at tech start-ups as an example that have gone national in the past 10years they usually come from this universities. Plus have you noticed that in top universities in the south you hardly see any northerner....most abokis won't cope in a school like oau, one year in Whitehouse and they'd drop out.

Dude what country are you in? When Jim Ovia stop being the MD/CEO of Zenith Bank? Kindly google Ebenezer Onyeagwu. And I ask you that didn't drop out where are you now?
How many southerners do you see in northern universities pls? its simple statistics, people in a region mostly school there.
If you've stayed in the middle belt then you will know that not every northerner is an "aboki" which by the way means "friend" in hausa.
The richest black man is an "aboki" who by the way has a degree in business from a university in Egypt.
You call Tony Elumelu who the least of achievements is going to Unilag. He is a smart man that has worked n himself. From your statistics, everyone from your super schools should be the ones we hear about every day. We have other "abokis" like Dantata, Abdulsamad Rabiu (BUA Group) who went to capital University in the US. Most of these schools you mentioned (govt owned) run on past glory as facilities and curriculums are outdated. Also, ratings differ on different indices. You've has years where the best student in law school was from AAU and also Benue state University.
This is not a north and south argument for me, all I'm saying is where you went to school isn't all that counts, what you do with your life is what matters. However, if this rating makes you feel good for obvious reasons, by all means enjoy.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by elbulk(m): 8:20pm On Sep 18, 2021
JohnSin97:
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.

Lol.. Jim Ovia has B.Sc. degree in Business Administration from Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA and not Auchi Poly. It's was Tony Elumelu that went to Ambrose Ali University (note that Ambrose Ali of the 80s had a very high educational standard, thanks to the man it was named after) but even Tony elemelu still went and got a Master's from Unilag and he hardly identifies as someone who went to AAU. My indices is the fact that when you look at this schools which I listed, it has and known to produce some of the smartest people in nigeria, if you even look at tech start-ups as an example that have gone national in the past 10years they usually come from this universities. Plus have you noticed that in top universities in the south you hardly see any northerner....most abokis won't cope in a school like oau, one year in Whitehouse and they'd drop out.

We also have people like Indimi who though not formally educated learnt to read, write and speak and is today a billionaire with plenty top rated university graduates working for him and his family
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Venerable612(m): 8:25pm On Sep 18, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide

True. The trick is in developing your skills outside of academics.

By the way "are being" not 'are been". The rule is that "been" only goes with "have" verbs.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by PsalmzFraudstar(f): 1:30pm On Oct 10, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Apology for any typographical error
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..

No go deceive yourself, wetin carry you run go less competitive school? Those people who stayed at home hustling jamb for 3 years just to go to a first generation school, you think they are fools abi. That time it was the competitive nature of the school that gave me the morale tomkeep trying jamb and post ume until I passed ie after 3 years, at least am not asking this kind of your question. So you want to be compared with your 4/400 quota system to someone who hustled for 3../400, no way!
Anyway, Nigeria Educational system is bleeped so anything goes...
Na so you wan make I argue with you that planes with composite body is just 10% more fuel efficient than those with aluminium alloy and you think that is all that is put in consideration? This is where Gombe state university has done the worst, I won't say much again. Thank You.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Cognitivereason: 9:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
There are many who still wrote jamb 3 times and got useless courses in competitive schools..many ended in poly....
Mention what ur studying in ur top school..

Anyways composite materials only make a planes lighter .they are not more aerodynamic than aluminum... In short companies are switching to composite because it is easily available, lighter and cheaper....

Fuel efficiency has little to to do with what the body is made of... The A380 is made of composite materials but it not fuel efficient..

And let me remind u that the Concorde (the world fastest passenger plane and only supersonic passenger plane) is totally made of aluminum and it is more aerodynamic and faster than all the most modern planes today ..it speed justified the fuel usage..

Fuel efficiency has it engines as it major factor...there are old Boeing planes flying today which consume less fuel not because the plane was striped down and made more aerodynamic with composite materials but because the older jet engines were replaced with modern ones with more power and less fuel consumption..
Donald trump Boeing 757 is a big example....

The latest Boeing 737 max is made of aluminum alloy and other metals and it still very fuel efficient..

Please read it again
PsalmzFraudstar:

No go deceive yourself, wetin carry you run go less competitive school? Those people who stayed at home hustling jamb for 3 years just to go to a first generation school, you think they are fools abi. That time it was the competitive nature of the school that gave me the morale tomkeep trying jamb and post ume until I passed ie after 3 years, at least am not asking this kind of your question. So you want to be compared with your 4/400 quota system to someone who hustled for 3../400, no way!
Anyway, Nigeria Educational system is bleeped so anything goes...
Na so you wan make I argue with you that planes with composite body is just 10% more fuel efficient than those with aluminium alloy and you think that is all that is put in consideration? This is where Gombe state university has done the worst, I won't say much again. Thank You.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by PsalmzFraudstar(f): 12:02pm On Oct 11, 2021
Cognitivereason:
There are many who still wrote jamb 3 times and got useless courses in competitive schools..many ended in poly....
Mention what ur studying in ur top school..

Anyways composite materials only make a planes lighter .they are not more aerodynamic than aluminum... In short companies are switching to composite because it is easily available, lighter and cheaper....

Fuel efficiency has little to to do with what the body is made of... The A380 is made of composite materials but it not fuel efficient..

And let me remind u that the Concorde (the world fastest passenger plane and only supersonic passenger plane) is totally made of aluminum and it is more aerodynamic and faster than all the most modern planes today ..it speed justified the fuel usage..

Fuel efficiency has it engines as it major factor...there are old Boeing planes flying today which consume less fuel not because the plane was striped down and made more aerodynamic with composite materials but because the older jet engines were replaced with modern ones with more power and less fuel consumption..
Donald trump Boeing 757 is a big example....

The latest Boeing 737 max is made of aluminum alloy and other metals and it still very fuel efficient..

Please read it again

There is noting like a useless course please, you won't agree to accept that it is because Nigeria is messed up that is why you think that there is anything like a useless course. When you asked my school and what am studying and how you think any course is useless; With all these, I can't argue aviation business with you, but let me give you a hint; check about otto celera 500L and check the new boeing 787, and the airbus A350 XWB, after going through it, maybe or maybe not I can lecture you on how carbon composite materials can make airplanes more fuel efficient than their aluminium counterparts: and I don't know if you are the one who decided to understand my initial post that it is only aerodynamic shapes that effect fuel efficiency or it was what I explicitly wrote. So carbon plastic composite material that is capital intensive to build its machine for moulding a particular plane shape is what you said manufacturers are leaving aluminium to because it is easily and readily available? Do you know it has been available since just that aircraft manufacturers are turning to it now.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Cognitivereason: 5:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
Fair enough wink
PsalmzFraudstar:

There is noting like a useless course please, you won't agree to accept that it is because Nigeria is messed up that is why you think that there is anything like a useless course. When you asked my school and what am studying and how you think any course is useless; With all these, I can't argue aviation business with you, but let me give you a hint; check about otto celera 500L and check the new boeing 787, and the airbus A350 XWB, after going through it, maybe or maybe not I can lecture you on how carbon composite materials can make airplanes more fuel efficient than their aluminium counterparts: and I don't know if you are the one who decided to understand my initial post that it is only aerodynamic shapes that effect fuel efficiency or it was what I explicitly wrote. So carbon plastic composite material that is capital intensive to build its machine for moulding a particular plane shape is what you said manufacturers are leaving aluminium to because it is easily and readily available? Do you know it has been available since just that aircraft manufacturers are turning to it now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Worker Threatens To Resign Over Thanksgiving Turkey, Shocks Nigerian / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.