Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,489 members, 7,812,526 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. (40107 Views)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Microwhy: 12:35am On Sep 18, 2021
Cognitivereason:
True..ur comment is more of an encouragement... But the reality is what am asking about.. We know of the HND discrimination but....
When it comes to having a BSc from a less competitive school probably from the north ..despite having a 2.1 or better..can that person be looked down on compared to those from competitive schools...

I ask cuz I have heard of such and I don't know if it really a thing in the Nigerian society..
In engineering for example despite the fact that it almost same syllabus in all fed of state university... A 2.1 graduate from FUTO or FUTA might be preferred over a 2.1 or even first class from let say taraba state university or so...
The problem here is not themsay but you yourself.
The best universities in engineering are almost all in the north.
You mentioned FUTO and FUTA but mentioned Taraba state university.
How can you campare a federal funded institution and state funded institution,
Please I ask, is that an intelligent comparison. What about comparing them with FUTMinna.
That why is so easy for US to sell the Muslim and Terrorism stigma.
Naturally 80% of world population are lazy and ill inform.

4 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by highbee02: 12:55am On Sep 18, 2021
B. Sc. is B. Sc irrespective of where it's earned. In the past, they normally consider graduates of federal University before State or private universities in the labour market.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Frenzy01(m): 1:47am On Sep 18, 2021
Before nkko... Nigeria wey don cast tey tey

Contact me for your swift buying and selling of any Dog breed. Pet care and boarding services also available
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by hope4nigeria(m): 3:34am On Sep 18, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Apology for any typographical error
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..
during my NYSC, I was in a discussion over this same topic with one OAU and University of ilorin graduands, that was 2009, both corpers were bragging they graduated from the best University in Nigeria, five years later, one of them wrote application seeking for job in our office in Abuja, he got the job as site engineer, he couldn't remember me at first, he takes instructions from me, one day I reminded him our old discussion
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by AdaAwka1: 3:44am On Sep 18, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide

Hum but ur typo and grammar sha "pharmacist students", well state university shaa
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by TempUser: 3:52am On Sep 18, 2021

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Powersurge: 3:55am On Sep 18, 2021
Cognitivereason:
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..

80% of the time, school wouldn't matter in a city like Lagos. Provided you are sound. Problem comes when their is a tie and someone needs to be "evicted". Unfortunately, you may be the one.

While the school you attended does not mean much, most schools bend standards-apologies to.... The kind of books I read in University of Benin that got me 2:1, if I had tried 60% of it in Usman Danfidio University my first class will be close to a perfect score. I have seen some of these schools examination questions.

Ultimately, try to be sound. If you are, you will likely not face such problem.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by princewarri1985: 4:07am On Sep 18, 2021
There is nothing like descrimination because of the kind of university one graduated from in Nigeria here, you are the problem here because you are suffereing from inferiority complex, because dont be suprised that a graduate from gombe state university will do better than a unn graduate during written interview, it's not about the university but the personality here

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Caseless: 4:36am On Sep 18, 2021
Cognitivereason:

Gombe state university is a joke to you? Mahadi did wonderfully well there after leaving A.B.U to join them as the VC on the invitation of the then governor, Danjuma Goje.

Gombe state has one of the best state universities in Nigeria.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by BlessingDh: 4:46am On Sep 18, 2021
what do you expect, brother?

not all universities are equal. They should not be viewed equally by prospective employers
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Caseless: 4:48am On Sep 18, 2021
Powersurge:

80% of the time, school wouldn't matter in a city like Lagos. Provided you are sound. Problem comes when their is a tie and someone needs to be "evicted". Unfortunately, you may be the one.

While the school you attended does not mean much, most schools bend standards-apologies to.... The kind of books I read in University of Benin that got me 2:1, if I had tried 60% of it in Usman Danfidio University my first class will be close to a perfect score. I have seen some of these schools examination questions.

Ultimately, try to be sound. If you are, you will likely not face such problem.
This is how we all think - my university gives the most stress, tough questions and tough time.

In your own myopic thinking, people in usman danfodiyo university are not intelligent, you are. Northerners don't "know book, only southerners do"... As if Usman Danfodiyo university is only attended by the Northerners. Why are the southerners there not making 1st class?

I thought you were going to call one serious university, only to see you name that Headquarters of cultism and citadel of criminality as the university to measure intelligence of others with.

The fact that cultists graduate from your school shows how the lecturers compromise to get them free landing for fear of their lives. Is it not UNIBEN where have lecturers giving mark or grades in exchange for sex? You have cultist lecturers and all, and you think it's still a great school to score cheap points with.

It's a compromised system. Anyone can do better there. How are sure your marketing course, no be tidy you take run am? Una still de buy lecturer handout and material sha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by greatestman(m): 5:04am On Sep 18, 2021
JohnSin97:
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.

Lol.. Jim Ovia has B.Sc. degree in Business Administration from Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA and not Auchi Poly. It's was Tony Elumelu that went to Ambrose Ali University (note that Ambrose Ali of the 80s had a very high educational standard, thanks to the man it was named after) but even Tony elemelu still went and got a Master's from Unilag and he hardly identifies as someone who went to AAU. My indices is the fact that when you look at this schools which I listed, it has and known to produce some of the smartest people in nigeria, if you even look at tech start-ups as an example that have gone national in the past 10years they usually come from this universities. Plus have you noticed that in top universities in the south you hardly see any northerner....most abokis won't cope in a school like oau, one year in Whitehouse and they'd drop out.

Same South West that I am doing my second degree?
Thank God I came down to South West.
People say what they don't know or hear say.
I did my First Degree in a University of Technology at North. And is way rigorous.
I am topping my class at the moment.
Many of my friends have secured competitive scholarships in USA, UK, GERMANY and China etc.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by pfadom: 5:17am On Sep 18, 2021
You passed through the University, but the quality of education received has not adequately transformed your intelligent quotient (IQ) and emotional quotient (EQ) to the extent that inferiority is still all over you despite the degree.

Had you stood tall, you could have changed the erroneous impression that name of an institution determines the quality of degree and education received and the career path of the recipient.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gerrard59(m): 5:19am On Sep 18, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
Well, all I can say is that if there's a job opening in nnpc, Exxon Mobile, agip and d likes, and a 3rd class geology graduate of oau applies for d job with his contemporaries with first class from other universities, that oau geology graduate would definitely av an upper hand and would be considered before d others

That's not true. The minimum grade required in those companies is 2'1, so no chance for a third class graduate regardless of the grade.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gerrard59(m): 5:28am On Sep 18, 2021
rosalieene:
Lowkey, banks like Access bank discriminate.

It's not low key but a standing policy. Access Bank does not recruit from most state universities. Only LASU and a few other state universities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gerrard59(m): 5:34am On Sep 18, 2021
princewarri1985:
There is nothing like descrimination because of the kind of university one graduated from in Nigeria here, you are the problem here because you are suffereing from inferiority complex, because dont be suprised that a graduate from gombe state university will do better than a unn graduate during written interview, it's not about the university but the personality here

That's not true. Access Bank for instance discriminates against state universities except LASU and few other state universities.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by hrykanu231(m): 5:56am On Sep 18, 2021
Cognitivereason:
True..ur comment is more of an encouragement... But the reality is what am asking about.. We know of the HND discrimination but....
When it comes to having a BSc from a less competitive school probably from the north..despite having a 2.1 or better..can that person be looked down on compared to those from competitive schools...

I ask cuz I have heard of such and I don't know if it really a thing in the Nigerian society..
In engineering for example despite the fact that it almost same syllabus in all fed of state university... A 2.1 graduate from FUTO or FUTA might be preferred over a 2.1 or even first class from let say taraba state university or so...

I experienced this first hand during my M.Sc oral interview in 2013. The names they called my previous school was disheartening, primarily because it was a state school in an area comsiderd academically less developed.
They pushed the narrative further by telling me that, my 2:1will be a very low 2:2 if I had my first degree in their school.

Well, when the interview began, they didn't know when they started clapping. In the end, the guy who had his B.Sc in "wawa" state, had the highest score(82%) and topped his M.Sc class.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by princewarri1985: 6:09am On Sep 18, 2021
Gerrard59:

That's not true. Access Bank for instance discriminates against state universities except LASU and few other state universities.
Now let's remove access bank from the list, you find out we still have more than 20 banks left, stop believing in limitations and impossibilities, try and be positive
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by laskab(f): 6:16am On Sep 18, 2021
Empty vessel!

RichThugg:
Buhari has finished this country kpatakpata cheesy

grin
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by VTJN(m): 6:32am On Sep 18, 2021
Raxxye:

PhD holders from public unis can't stand on same podium with you indeed!
Yet you can't differentiate between "being" and "been". You tenses too are wack!
Empty bragging!
grin grin
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Eeser: 6:34am On Sep 18, 2021
Fundamentalist:

it's good I am not jobless like you.

Southerners are amongst the worst people to interact with.
Yes sir. Unlike people like us that sit, play video games all day (jobless us). You are so busy changing the world. I heard you are so busy partnering with Elon Musk for the pioneer rocket project at SpaceX. Bravo! Bravo!! grin
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Lamasta(m): 6:46am On Sep 18, 2021
Cognitivereason:

Quota system has already settled your questions ...
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by EcheijaOne(m): 6:50am On Sep 18, 2021
��
If you're a student on any campus in Nigeria, I want to show you a way to sell your items faster and much easier.

You see we created this online marketplace for students on campus so we can easily sell our used items or even new items (for those of us into the business)

It is very easy to post an item for sale on the website, so you can visit www.percampus.com today and start selling right away.

��
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 7:09am On Sep 18, 2021
[s]
Coronabirus:
Is the most beautiful Govt (State/FG) university in Nigeria.
Little searching will open ur eyes. Living in one corner of naija and making noise will only embarass u!
[/s]

Trash!!!
Beautiful in what sense

Structurally??u think just that makes a school beautiful??

How bout their research work??

BTW.........have u been to other state universities to know its the best in Nigeria??

Who gave the rating??
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Ivimmanuel: 7:11am On Sep 18, 2021
sofiscatedmoron:
grin
I thought u we're joking untill i hear Gombe state university grin

That name alone is funny
pls what's funny about the name, how does Chukwuemeka odimegwu ojukwu university, sound or ondo state university most of these state owned universities are new and will get better with time and appropriate funding. You guys need to stop been sarcastic with everything.

Btw I don't think there's pharmacy at home state university
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Gamesmart: 7:20am On Sep 18, 2021
Aurelius1:
This is someone who is boasting that he is better than most PhD holders.

He said it with much self-deluding guile!
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 7:36am On Sep 18, 2021
[s]
edoairways:

Tony elemelu choose Unilag for master because of convenience not necessary because " it is the best"
[/s]

Not because is the best??
Why didnt he pick either lasu or yabatech then??
They still both in the same Lagos nah......

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by houseontherock: 7:37am On Sep 18, 2021
Quota system universities...can we really trust them? If you get your degree from one of those, let your job search be within the Northern part of the country or the quota system federal parastatals undecided
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by RolexOfGeneva(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2021
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide
Pls shut up. PHD holders cannot compare with you, a common bSc holder?
Do you even know what it takes to get to that level?
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 7:49am On Sep 18, 2021
greatestman:

Same South West that I am doing my second degree?
Thank God I came down to South West.
People say what they don't know or hear say.
I did my First Degree in a University of Technology at North. And is way rigorous.
I am topping my class at the moment.
Many of my friends have secured competitive scholarships in USA, UK, GERMANY and China etc.

Oga......the fact u ran to unknown southwestern university no mean say u sabi book Ooo.......

The untold.......university fit be national open university or u just running part time studying one yeye course..,.....he sure me die!!!

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by masui(m): 7:53am On Sep 18, 2021
[quote author=FreeStuffsNG post=105922177]@OP.
Since you want a sincere response, please don't let anyone decieve you o, the calibre of university you attend matters. It's not only considered in Nigeria, it's done all over the world. In some countries and even here in Nigeria, even the calibre of Secondary school you attend matters too.

While it is true that in reality, we can't all attend high calibre universities but for university education, in particular, do not settle for less . If you have what it takes to attend high calibre university, please go for it. Those attending and finishing from those universities do not have two heads while some folks did not make those universities because of poor preparation and some of the kind of low quality advice you are being given here.

I always advice that in Nigeria, work very hard to attend and graduate from the the first generation universities of UNILAG, UNN, OAU, ABU and UI. In Nigeria, it is these 5 universities and the others. Shikena!

Just by reminder, just look at the array of alumni UNILAG is parading in this picture in 2021. 4 out of 6 governors in the SW are from a single university; University of Lagos (UNILAG) and someone is suggesting to you that it's a fluke? 3 governors from the SS attended UI( Edo, Delta & Cross Rivers) and one governor finished from UNILAG( Akwa Ibom). And even the Governor of Anambra state is an alumnus of UNILAG!

I know organizations that hire from only those 5 and most of them are leaders in their industries. Top consultancy firms particularly get talents from these universities. Have you not wondered why the best graduating student in UNILAG this year was already in Shell?

If you can, please attend only among those 5 but if you can't for first degree, attend them for second degree. By the time you graduate from any of these 5, you will know the difference. Those who didn't attend those 5 high calibre universities can't advice you that it doesn't matter. They want you to settle for less.

[/quote

So Ben Ayade finished from unilag and couldn't even contribute a thing to humanity. He's such a waste.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Worker Threatens To Resign Over Thanksgiving Turkey, Shocks Nigerian / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.