Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? (29460 Views)

My Perfect Concoction Rice Recipe, You Will Finish The Whole Pot (Photos, Video) / Penis Seen Inside Food Served In Lagos Restaurant (Video) / What A Lady Ordered In A Nigerian Restaurant, And What They Served Her (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by babaalagbo1(m): 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2021
So that they won't think they are gluttons lol
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by oyejideogunjumo: 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2021
Boniwhite:
Dear nairalanders,i was having a conversation with a family friend last week.
and she said,she doesn like visitors remaining food served to them. then i told her there is nothing wrong in finishing the food served to you by your host! So am seeking your opinion,
is it wrong to finish food serve to you by your host? Like wont they (your host)look at you as a glutton? Lets hear from you guys.
Traditionally to show that you are not a glutton.
It is practiced by fathers and handed down generation to generation

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Drcombo: 7:00pm On Oct 13, 2021
They don't want it to look like they are hungry people.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by OdefaGirl(f): 7:00pm On Oct 13, 2021
Make you no call me longer throat... grin grin grin, that was on a lighter note.
I appreciate it when visitors eat my food well, even if you did not clean up the plate.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Odichi(f): 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2021
Eye service. So you will tag them, hungry.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Habib101: 7:03pm On Oct 13, 2021
Maybe it's a tradition,I grew up observing those things I was a victim too.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by blackmantis: 7:03pm On Oct 13, 2021
You just had a full meal then you visit someone and he brings a large plate of food!

As for me I wouldn't even eat if I know I won't finish the food.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
If person come my house finish food wen I serve am I go mark him face this one na élebi.....if he come next time na only water I go give am if I'm in a good mood
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by janetakan(f): 7:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
Richy4:

I guess that some visitors remain just a little food so that it won't look like they came to your house with empty stomach...

Also they were trying to avoid kids/ the little ones telling each other on how that uncle came and finished the entire food served and would have requested for more assuming he/she was asked to take another helping..

Haha
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Semaj77(m): 7:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
inderhappy:
Very simple so that it's doesn't seems like the person is really hungry, of which in truth the person is actually hungry.

If I'm hungry I'm hungry and I'll gladly say so , it doesn't reduce my worth as a human being. Even in the house of a stranger I'll say it as it is , the only time I may not finish a meal or may outrightly refuse to eat is if my host isn't buoyant enough to prepare the meal for me and he/she is only doing it out of courtesy but say I go Otedola house come dey form , that one no fit happen. After the meal sef I fit even help myself with a taste of Cuppy
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by BamakSNR(m): 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2021
Not visitor like me.

I go finish am
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Hightbee102: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2021
Na before I they remain food. cheesy grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by overseasnbeyond: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2021
to get another invitation another day
Boniwhite:
Dear nairalanders,i was having a conversation with a family friend last week.
and she said,she doesn like visitors remaining food served to them. then i told her there is nothing wrong in finishing the food served to you by your host! So am seeking your opinion,
is it wrong to finish food serve to you by your host? Like wont they (your host)look at you as a glutton? Lets hear from you guys.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 13, 2021
I don't like leaving foods in the plate too. Even if I am visiting you for the first time, I will tell you to reduce the food if I can't finish it. The moment you leave food in the plate, it's already a waste because you will hardly see somebody who will eat it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by MikkySexy23(m): 7:10pm On Oct 13, 2021
In most our cultures, we has been taught to leave food so you don't appear hungry while visiting. It has stuck to our medulla,so we would continue doing it.
Is it right? IMO, I would say Yes. It inculcates good manners, especially in young ones. For grown adults, you might break this rule, in particular when you are visiting a close relation or friends
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by JayB11(m): 7:11pm On Oct 13, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

You cannot serve me Ofe-Akwu with salted, well cooked foreign rice and goat meat; then expect something to remain.

angry

Infact one time my grandmother had to slap sense into me.

When we went to the house of her "enemy" on Easter Sunday. The devilish woman offered me freshly cooked Ofe-Akwu and White Rice with Big Fish.

Imagine my Granny thinking I would say NO. grin

I just did small sign of the cross, then proceeded to demolish the food in such a way, that my granny was so bitter looking at me.

On the road back to our house, she remove her koi-koi shoe use am reset my brain.

But it was worth it.

Is the small sign of the cross for me ����

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Nauttyprof(m): 7:16pm On Oct 13, 2021
I do not think this is applicable now. Anybody who tries to serve meal at this time to visitors should expect them to finish the plate and even ask for more if possible.

I remember a day when we tested a visitor and he never disappointed. The plate was full to the brim and we even questioned ourselves if this visitor could finish the meal. To our surprise or even expectation, this man took his time, adjusted his belt and finished every grain of rice.

We gave him a nickname as this experience stay glued in our memory.

Country is hard and I don't think anyone will want to leave part of the food served to you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by SirLakes: 7:18pm On Oct 13, 2021
Not a visitor like me oo

I dey clear and forward every thing on the plate
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Godmademan(m): 7:18pm On Oct 13, 2021
After eating 95% of the food, you think your dignity lies in the 5% left over. I don't have a suitable meme for you right now.

If you come to my house to waste food, I will send you out ASAP. Its better you reject food than leave crumbs behind.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by YoungRay007: 7:18pm On Oct 13, 2021
Now wey things hard you want to remain Food.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by kuntash: 7:19pm On Oct 13, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

You cannot serve me Ofe-Akwu with salted, well cooked foreign rice and goat meat; then expect something to remain.

angry

When we went to the house of her "enemy" on Easter Sunday. The devilish woman offered me freshly cooked Ofe-Akwu and White Rice with Big Fish.

I just did small sign of the cross, then proceeded to demolish the food in such a way, that my granny was so bitter looking at me.

On the road back to our house, she remove her koi-koi shoe use am reset my brain.

But it was worth it.

Your mama go her enemy house .... hmmmmmm
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Munzy14(m): 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
It is very important not to finish the meal you're served as a visitor undecided. E get why undecided. No go fall your hand because of say you dey hungry lipsrsealed. Hunger at it's best can still be controlled...... Leave small thing for your ancestors lipsrsealed. No be wetin dem talk for your presence nai matter,but na wetin dem go talk after you clean the plate finish and comot nai matter lipsrsealed.

So my fellow visitors, always use your brains.
Abii naaa...grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by SirLakes: 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2021
Nauttyprof:
I do not think this is applicable now. Anybody who tries to serve meal at this time to visitors should expect them to finish the plate and even ask for more if possible.

I remember a day when we tested a visitor and he never disappointed. The plate was full to the brim and we even questioned ourselves if this visitor could finish the meal. To our surprise or even expectation, this man took his time, adjusted his belt and finished every grain of rice.

We gave him a nickname as this experience stay glued in our memory.

Country is hard and I don't think anyone will want to leave part of the food served to you.

Invite me to your house, I won't disappoint you grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by muller101(m): 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
It is very important not to finish the meal you're served as a visitor undecided. E get why undecided. No go fall your hand because of say you dey hungry lipsrsealed. Hunger at it's best can still be controlled...... Leave small thing for your ancestors lipsrsealed. No be wetin dem talk for your presence nai matter,but na wetin dem go talk after you clean the plate finish and comot nai matter lipsrsealed.

So my fellow visitors, always use your brains.
It's a bad habit. The rest of the food who will eat it.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Sukkyy2010: 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2021
Ase lo ba won oooo..
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by SirLakes: 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2021
MikkySexy23:
In most our cultures, we has been taught to leave food so you don't appear hungry while visiting. It has stuck to our medulla,so we would continue doing it.
Is it right? IMO, I would say Yes. It inculcates good manners, especially in young ones. For grown adults, you might break this rule, in particular when you are visiting a close relation or friends

It depends on who you are visiting, if you visit me and you leave remnants for your ancestors, next time I won't cook for you again.

Hunger go injure on your next visit cheesy

I hate food wastage fah!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Trust50: 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2021
fergie001:
Some years ago, I went to a Venerable's house at Elere and was offered Rice.

I was really really hungry but usual nah, left some pieces on the plate. His wife came to clear the stuffs and say ahn ahn, you didn't finish the rice?

Please finish it, We don't have dogs here. Quite correct. It simply amounts to wastage considering the economy of today's Nigeria. Besides nobody will eat the leftovers. If you know you won't finish what you are offered, it's courtesy demanding the ration is reduced. Why pretend when you can finish the food and even request more
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by FashionCookie(f): 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

angry

But it was worth it.

Hahahahaha...na wa.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Originalsly: 7:34pm On Oct 13, 2021
Hmmm..... could leaving food be sending a message that the food was not appetizing?.... and out of respect the guest forced himself to eat? ... but can no longer bear the torture? But then how much should be left back ? If I don't like the food.... two spoonfuls max and the rest for the ancestors.... after all... my ancestors are manyyy.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by blackboy(m): 7:36pm On Oct 13, 2021
I have dogs n chuckens n rams and .. who will do justice to the remnants.
I dont finish is because i usually eat before i go there and a drink n snack would be fine. I will finish that.
I honestly came for the gist, companionship and relaxation
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Dronedude(m): 7:37pm On Oct 13, 2021
Na our parents cause am. Even now as adults, people still visualize their mother cutting them eye when offered food.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Burgerlomo: 7:37pm On Oct 13, 2021
Foodqueen:
Na forming level.

All those things don de pass now.

Lol, the forming wey I go do for party after drinking a lot of alcohol just because some fine babes dey seat opposite my table, hunger teach me a serious lesson that night grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The World's Most Expensive Wedding Cake / See How I Make Yummy Bread Pizza At Home, Better Than Take Out (Photos, Video) / Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.