Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,519 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? (29463 Views)

My Perfect Concoction Rice Recipe, You Will Finish The Whole Pot (Photos, Video) / Penis Seen Inside Food Served In Lagos Restaurant (Video) / What A Lady Ordered In A Nigerian Restaurant, And What They Served Her (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Goldiness: 7:38pm On Oct 13, 2021
Boniwhite:
Dear nairalanders,i was having a conversation with a family friend last week.
and she said,she doesn like visitors remaining food served to them. then i told her there is nothing wrong in finishing the food served to you by your host! So am seeking your opinion,
is it wrong to finish food serve to you by your host? Like wont they (your host)look at you as a glutton? Lets hear from you guys.

In the past, as a visitor, if you eat all your food, you may be teamed as a glutton or long throwth, that was then, now if food is served you, you are expected to finish it all as things are not easy food wise, effort is put into a good meal, so you can't just eat and remain the food.

But on the other hand, if a food is not properly cooked, in a home or in an occasion, people will not even eat it well, or they remain half way.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by aquame: 7:39pm On Oct 13, 2021
The food may not be much in the house and they sure want entertain the visitor with the little they have, this I have seen.
Boniwhite:
and she said,she doesn like visitors remaining food served to them. then i told her there is nothing wrong in finishing the food served to you by your host! So am seeking your opinion,
is it wrong to finish food serve to you by your host? Like wont they (your host)look at you as a glutton? Lets hear from you guys.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Echo50(m): 7:40pm On Oct 13, 2021
The family of the food server knows how to insult people. I. E
See that brother that ate food in our house and washed the plate. Not even bone or soup was left for our fowl to eat. When there is a left over, you retain small respect in that, you were not 100% hungry
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Kondomatic(m): 7:41pm On Oct 13, 2021
pocohantas:
First, Nigerians heap food too much!!!!

You guys don’t know portion control!

You tell them you want a little and they still heap the food. Swallow be looking like olumo rock on a plate.

No smart cook heaps a sweet food for people. They give you small, watch you rush it and allow you to ask for more. Then they swing their waist to the kitchen to give you more.

That is how stars do.

Give people food so that they will eat and be filled. Wetin be your own sef?

You can sway your waist anyhow you like when you clear the table.
Most visitors won't ask for more even if they're starving.

If you serve me pounded yam and I can still see the person sitting before me, I am not eating.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by DeUrch(m): 7:43pm On Oct 13, 2021
It all depends on the personality of your host. While some will be happy you finished the food been served, some may see you as a very hungry glutton for finishing it. However, It's always good to show some civility to your host.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by macho44(m): 7:45pm On Oct 13, 2021
Boniwhite:
To prevent "See Finish"
I remember one of my chairman that year, anytime I go his house na so Dem go bring food. Only me dey finish Two big loads of Value Bread.
So one particular day , as I reach dia na so his kids gather me begin dey say "Broda please come and be going, we don't want you to finish our Food, and to make matters worse, the man sister wey I dey eye come begin laff. Since then I learnt to respect myself whenever I'm offered food while visiting.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by jaxxy(m): 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2021
undecided
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by greggng: 7:48pm On Oct 13, 2021
It a sign that someone was well brought up . Endomie children of nowadays don't know the significant of doing that . It simply means that hunger was not the main reason why they visited . It goes along way to prove what God said in the bible....man shall not live by bread alone ...aside food their are other things that matters in life ....infact , is a way of telling your host that you have food in your house ....you are actually doing him a favour by eating their food ...if you finish the food, you will be used as a play thing by your host .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Tapout(m): 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2021
Hmm, me wey ask for more.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by rezzy: 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2021
If the food is too much, on sighting it, I tell you to reduce it.

But if not, I finished every every.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:55pm On Oct 13, 2021
Richy4:

I guess that some visitors remain just a little food so that it won't look like they came to your house with empty stomach...

Also they were trying to avoid kids/ the little ones telling each other on how that uncle came and finished the entire food served and would have requested for more assuming he/she was asked to take another helping..

Hahahahaha
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Probz(m): 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Respect the food... how long it took for all components to grow and the cost to get it from the farm to the kitchen and then prepared and placed in front of you. Then consider the many out there who are starving while you are busy debating in your mind whether you should finish food placed in front of you. undecided

When you do that, you will maybe better understand why it matters not what your host may think but instead that you waste not. undecided

Respect is fine but any waste will just end up going in the bin and it’s more disrespectful for someone who gave you food to have to bin leftovers than for you to just eat the thing well. Who the hell are you saving 8 grains of rice and half-eaten anu-ewu with all your saliva on it for?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Probz(m): 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2021
If I offered someone food I’d rather they ate the whole plate and even asked for more. If I’m offering someone (or some people) food I’m not the one to be tight or economical about it on the basis of vague cultural notions that you’re only allowed to eat 75% of your plate.

Don’t you think it’s more respectful that people actually like eating your food to the extent of wiping the plate clean and even wanting more? Why should a quarter of it have to go in the bin “just because”?

If you’re not prepared to let them enjoy themselves and eat the food well you might as well just not offer them food. You can’t be making a whole cast-iron pot of jollof with goat meat and ration portions/have some of it go to waste.

What the hell are Nigerians on most of the time?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by house10s: 8:02pm On Oct 13, 2021
After seeking opinion what next?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Regex: 8:03pm On Oct 13, 2021
They do that just so they don't come off as someone who can't afford to feed themselves.

I understand them because when they do, they become the topic of the day.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On Oct 13, 2021
Probz:

Respect is fine but any waste will just end up going in the bin and it’s more disrespectful for someone who gave you food to have to bin leftovers than for you to just eat the thing well. Who the hell are you saving 8 grains of rice and half-eaten anu ewu with all your saliva on it for?
I am even willing to unfriend such a one myself. It is not acceptable behavior for me. undecided
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by sureinfo: 8:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
Simple, it's to avoid "See Finish"
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Probz(m): 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I am even willing to unfriend such a one myself. It is not acceptable behavior for me. undecided

What isn’t acceptable?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

You cannot serve me Ofe-Akwu with salted, well cooked foreign rice and goat meat; then expect something to remain.

angry

Infact one time my grandmother had to slap sense into me.

When we went to the house of her "enemy" on Easter Sunday. The devilish woman offered me freshly cooked Ofe-Akwu and White Rice with Big Fish.

Imagine my Granny thinking I would say NO. grin

I just did small sign of the cross, then proceeded to demolish the food in such a way, that my granny was so bitter looking at me.

On the road back to our house, she remove her koi-koi shoe use am reset my brain.

But it was worth it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Kobojunkie: 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2021
Probz:
What isn’t acceptable?
Leaving half- finished or unfinished food. I would rather a person asks for a doggy bag or something but not waste it. undecided
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Probz(m): 8:08pm On Oct 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Leaving half- finished or unfinished food. I would rather a person asks for a doggy bag or something but not waste it. undecided

100% agreed. I’d rather someone asked me for three plates of rice than have a third of it go to waste because it takes a lot of time and money to cook in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Probz(m): 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2021
Plus if some of the people you’re inviting to come and eat na the bachelor/student kind, they’ll either have limited resources to buy food from time to time (being a student isn’t cheap and everyone in the world knows that) or they just won’t know how to cook that well generally (bachelors aren’t always blessed in the kitchen). So of course they’re going to jump at the first opportunity to chop better-prepared food that hasn’t been made on a 2-Naira budget. And there ain’t nothing wrong with that. No be Bible don tell us to feed the hungry well?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 13, 2021
pocohantas:
First, Nigerians heap food too much!!!!

You guys don’t know portion control!

You tell them you want a little and they still heap the food. Swallow be looking like olumo rock on a plate.

No smart cook heaps a sweet food for people. They give you small, watch you rush it and allow you to ask for more. Then they swing their waist to the kitchen to give you more.

That is how stars do.

At least we both agree that it's women duty to cook.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by meetgaya: 8:14pm On Oct 13, 2021
Boniwhite:

I always finished the food served to me even if I am a first time visitor

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by shoczy(m): 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
It is very important not to finish the meal you're served as a visitor undecided. E get why undecided. No go fall your hand because of say you dey hungry lipsrsealed. Hunger at it's best can still be controlled...... Leave small thing for your ancestors lipsrsealed. No be wetin dem talk for your presence nai matter,but na wetin dem go talk after you clean the plate finish and comot nai matter lipsrsealed.

So my fellow visitors, always use your brains.

Wetin concern me!!... Anything wey dem like make dem talk, talk no go allow me vomit the food back..
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Geekop: 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2021
Be forming nah...
Shebi na cos dem offer you food...
People dey rarely give visitors food these days sef...
Wey the food??
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Probz(m): 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2021
theForth:

At least we both agree that it's women duty to cook.

No. If you’re past the age of 17/20 and you can’t cook at least a handful of decent meals you’re not okay. Cooking shouldn’t always rest on the woman’s shoulders.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by SocialJustice: 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2021
Nigerian courtesy.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 13, 2021
Probz:

No. If you’re past the age of 17/20 and you can’t cook at least a handful of decent meals you’re not okay. Cooking shouldn’t always rest on the woman’s shoulders.
Okay sir, but I am talking to her.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by fergie001: 8:41pm On Oct 13, 2021
Trust50:
Chai...You are even saying worse than the woman told me, na waoh
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by geezynoni: 8:43pm On Oct 13, 2021
Wahala for who no dey finish food
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Visitors Dont Finish The Food Served To Them? by Nanlesurf(m): 8:47pm On Oct 13, 2021
I think its rude not to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See How I Make Yummy Bread Pizza At Home, Better Than Take Out (Photos, Video) / Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? / Young Boy Spotted Eating Remnant Food From Disposed Takeaway Pack In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.