Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,988 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? (3349 Views)

What Is The Point Of Free Will? / Can You Explain How Writing The Bible Came About? / God's Omnipotence Contradicts The Requirement For Free Will In God's Plan. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by orisa37: 8:45pm On Nov 05, 2021
Any WILL that is CAUSED by someone else is never FREE.

WRONG. YOUR WILL IS IN YOUR CONSCIENCE AND YOUR CONSCIENCE IS BUILT-IN YOU BY THE SUPREME SPIRIT.
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by TenQ: 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2021
LordReed:

The question is how do you know?
I think I have answered you.

External events are what predispose me to making my CHOICES.
The external events usually have nothing to do with Me

If I am not in control of the external events that will happen tomorrow, how could it be then that the chain of events that led to my existence (past tense) now left me to to influence what will happen tomorrow (future).

I don't know if tomorrow I will be visited by Fulani Kidnappers or long lost childhood friend.
I don't know if tomorrow a coup will take place in Nigeria to overthrow Buhari
I don't know if a news will come out that my Bank have gone insolvent
I don't know if tomorrow, the Dollar will crash
I don't know if tomorrow, North Korea and China will fire their Nuclear Bomb capable Hypersonic Missile at USA.

To the question again: How do you know your will is not being affected by the chain of events that led to your existence?

Did the chain of events that lead to my existence also predetermined what will happen tomorrow?
The answer is capital NO!

Why?
The Fulani Kidnapper has his independent Will and external circumstances unique to himself alone
The Nigerian Soldiers have their independent Will and external circumstances unique to themselves alone
The managers of my Bank have their independent Will and external circumstances unique to themselves alone
etc.

EXCEPT your CLAIM is that everything that would occur tomorow has already been determined from the past, then Freewill will be meaningless!
Therefore, the things that led to my existence in this world does not affect my future
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 8:57pm On Nov 05, 2021
TenQ:

Is energy also part of NOTHING?

You have only made half of the statement: The second part is:
When subatomic particles disappear, they don't vanish in space because they merely appear somewhere else.

If they appear and disappear as you have said, then the law of conservation of energy is violated.

Is the law of conservation of energy also archaic?
you need a basic overhaul
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by TenQ: 9:18pm On Nov 05, 2021
LordReed:

You probably have particular foods you like eating and when faced with a choice would more likely pick them over other foods. To you you are freely making that choice however my question is asking, if your ability to choose is part of a causal chain you had no hand in bringing about how do you know you are freely choosing those foods? How do you know that your predilection for those foods is not a result of the causal chain? How do you know that your choice at any given moment was not influenced by the causal chain of events that brought about the situation in which you find yourself having to make a choice?

As for what precipitated the question, I guess I can say it's a question I have been trying to find a way of presenting but didn't have the words till I heard someone ask a similar question.
I think you are watching to much of movies like MATRIX.

You said: If your ability to choose is part of a causal chain you had no hand in bringing about how do you know you are freely choosing those foods?
1. You have no hand in having the ability to CHOOSE
2. Our choices are normally determined by what we LIKE or will Maximise our Pleasure or Minimise our Pain
3. In Spite of these above, a human being CAN deliberately (knowing the consequence) take a CHOICE that he doesn't Like or make choices that minimizes his Pleasure or choices that maximises his discomfort/pain
* This mean that our choices are made ON THE FLY based on the surrounding EXTERNAL constraints
*This is why as humans, we sometimes make personal SACRIFICES for the good of others
*This why there is Reward or Punishment for our kind of CHOICES we make on earth
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by TenQ: 9:25pm On Nov 05, 2021
Workch:
you need a basic overhaul
You've started your meaningless rants again!
All you need to do is to use the TRUTH of Science to permanently debunk any of the FOUR claims/statements I have made

TenQ:

1. Is energy also part of NOTHING?

2. You have only made half of the statement: The second part is:
When subatomic particles disappear, they don't vanish in space because they merely appear somewhere else.

3. If they appear and disappear as you have said, then the law of conservation of energy is violated.

4. Is the law of conservation of energy also archaic?

Numbers 1 and 4 are questions to You: probably, you don't have an answer!
Is Number 2 a false statement?
Is Number 3 a false statement?

You can see exactly why I said your words mean NOTHING?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by A001: 10:37pm On Nov 05, 2021
wink

3 Likes

Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by TenQ: 11:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
A001:
wink
It is erroneous to claim that EVERYTHING is part of God's plan.
Any premise based on errors is obviously WRONG
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by A001: 11:38pm On Nov 05, 2021
TenQ:

It is erroneous to claim that EVERYTHING is part of God's plan.
Any premise based on errors is obviously WRONG
Everything is not part of your god's plan? Your god isn't all-knowing, all-powerful again?

1 Like

Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by TenQ: 12:00am On Nov 06, 2021
A001:

Everything is not part of your god's plan? Your god isn't all-knowing, all-powerful again?
No need to reply a ....
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by A001: 12:06am On Nov 06, 2021
TenQ:

No need to reply a ....
Lols. You can't reply me when you have seen you goofed with that comment, which is antithetical to the central qualities of your god in the Bible.
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 6:03am On Nov 06, 2021
TenQ:

You've started your meaningless rants again!
All you need to do is to use the TRUTH of Science to permanently debunk any of the FOUR claims/statements I have made

Numbers 1 and 4 are questions to You: probably, you don't have an answer!
Is Number 2 a false statement?
Is Number 3 a false statement?

You can see exactly why I said your words mean NOTHING?
You don’t know anything, most laws of physics that lay people like you know breaks down in the quantum world.
We don’t even know if Energy is conserved in the quantum world, we understand it poorly, some speculate that Heisenberg uncertainty principle enforces conservation while others think the spooky action (quantum entanglement) will account for conservation but we are still not sure that energy is conserved in the quantum field. To an observer, Energy is not conserved in the quantum world, maybe in the future we might understand it better and find out that it’s conserved.
Until tomorrow, no one understand quantum physics, it surprises us everyday. Imagine not being able to account for energy conservation. Even the Newton’s law of motion you are always quoting doesn’t work there.

So stop all this your old-fashioned physics and read more
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
So whats your own definition for nothing?

Nothing refers to no thing that has a specific size.....

It's impossible for no thing with a specific size to exist....

Actually,
Nothing doesn't refer to anything with a specific size...

So, nothing shouldn't have any definition that involves anything...

In other words,if you want to define nothing ,
Then ,no thing is required to make the 'definition' correct.....

The universe is a thing.....so, it's wrong to mention it when you consider the 'definition' of nothing...

I think the quotation marks are necessary because nothing is meant to have no definition ......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
who said there's a limit?

If you say there's nothing,
Then you're saying there's a limit to what exists....
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:24am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

Actually,

The universe is a thing.....so, it's wrong to mention it when you consider the 'definition' of nothing...

I think the quotation marks are necessary because nothing is meant to have no definition ......

That is a philosophical definition, in science, nothing is the absent matter, radiators and antimatter.
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:25am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

If you say there's nothing,
Then you're saying there's a limit to what exists....
You are assuming wrongly
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
You don’t know anything, most laws of physics that lay people like you know breaks down in the quantum world.
We don’t even know if Energy is conserved in the quantum world, we understand it poorly, some speculate that Heisenberg uncertainty principle enforces conservation while others think the spooky action (quantum entanglement) will account for conservation but we are still not sure that energy is conserved in the quantum field. To an observer, Energy is not conserved in the quantum world, maybe in the future we might understand it better and find out that it’s conserved.
Until tomorrow, no one understand quantum physics, it surprises us everyday. Imagine not being able to account for energy conservation. Even the Newton’s law of motion you are always quoting doesn’t work there.

So stop all this your old-fashioned physics and read more

Whether or not anybody understands quantum physics....

It's impossible for your possession of limits to coincide with the possibility of nothing ....

You and every other scientist is limited..

Even your technology is limited.....

So, you can't identify things whose distinguishing properties ARE BEYOND YOUR LIMITS/THE LIMITS OF YOUR TECHNOLOGY...

When you say something appears,

Does that mean there was nothing??

It is you that wasn't able to determine what exactly disappeared....

For the disappearance of something coincided with the appearance of something else....

It happened so fast that you couldn't determine what exactly disappeared....

You come across what is not beyond your limits by chance .....it happens accidentally....
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:26am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

Whether or not anybody understands quantum physics....

It's impossible for your possession of limits to coincide with the possibility of nothing ....

You and every other scientist is limited..

Even your technology is limited.....

So, you can't identify things whose distinguishing properties ARE BEYOND YOUR LIMITS/THE LIMITS OF YOUR TECHNOLOGY...

When you say something appears,

Does that mean there was nothing??

It is you that wasn't able to determine what exactly disappeared....

For the disappearance of something coincided with the appearance of something else....

It happened so fast that you couldn't determine what exactly disappeared....

You come across what is not beyond your limits by chance .....it happens accidentally....
That response wasn’t for you.

Focus on what we have been discussing
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
You are assuming wrongly

How?
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:28am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

How?
I am not even getting your point.

What exactly is the point you have been trying to make?
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
That response wasn’t for you.

Focus on what we have been discussing

Yeah

It wasn't for me....

But my response was related to what we're discussing
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:30am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

Yeah

It wasn't for me....

But my response was related to what we're discussing
What point are you trying to make? Let it out
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
That is a philosophical definition, in science, nothing is the absent matter, radiators and antimatter.

Then , science is wrong in this case!!!!!
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:32am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

Then , science is wrong in this case!!!!!

ok, so tell me the point you have been trying to make all these while
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
What point are you trying to make? Let it out

My point is no scientist should consider his or her possession of limits as a reason to determine anything as nothing....
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:34am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

My point is no scientist should consider his or her possession of limits as a reason to determine anything as nothing....
Ok?
How does that answer the op’s question?
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Bishopkingsley(m): 7:37am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

Actually,

Lol
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
Ok?
How does that answer the op’s question?

It doesn't have to answer the OP's question....It addresses something I came across while reading several comments on this thread...

As for the OP's question......

I don't think there's anything like 'everything that exists' neither do I think anything that exists must have a cause..

The OP was arguing with me the other time when I said I'm partially responsible for my present situation..

He was like since my present situation is as a result of several occurrences in the past,
Then I'm totally responsible for my present situation.... In other words,he was like I choose or decided to be in this situation.....

What is the essence of questioning freewill for whatever reason when you claim I'm totally responsible for my present situation no matter what has happened to me before??
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 7:47am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

It doesn't have to answer the OP's question....It addresses something I came across while reading several comments on this thread...

As for the OP's question......

I don't think there's anything like 'everything that exists' neither do I think anything that exists must have a cause..

The OP was arguing with me the other time when I said I'm partially responsible for my present situation..

He was like since my present situation is as a result of several occurrences in the past,
Then I'm totally responsible for my present situation.... In other words,he was like I choose or decided to be in this situation.....

What is the essence of questioning freewill for whatever reason when you claim I'm totally responsible for my present situation no matter what has happened to me before??
ok now since I get your point, let me treat your argument.

If you remove everything from the universe and nothing remains, what is the something with specific size you are talking about?
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
ok now since I get your point, let me treat your argument.

If you remove everything from the universe and nothing remains, what is the something with specific size you are talking about?

That's it!!!

You cannot remove everything from the universe because the universe was never empty ....

The universe never became full....

The universe has always been full or it never existed at all...

When I say full,
I mean the universe has always been a group of several objects that are ageless and indivisible...

Just like every other combination...

The universe has always been made of ageless indivisible objects....

The only thing that can happen is for what you call the universe to become something else....
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Workch: 8:10am On Nov 06, 2021
Crystyano:

That's it!!!

You cannot remove everything from the universe because the universe was never empty ....

The universe never became full....

The universe has always been full or it never existed at all...

When I say full,
I mean the universe has always been a group of several objects that are ageless and indivisible...

Just like every other combination...

The universe has always been made of ageless indivisible objects....

The only thing that can happen is for what you call the universe to become something else....

I am asking whether the universe is ageless or has always been full or not.

This is my question: if you manage to remove everything from the universe and nothing remains, will that nothing be real nothing to you or if no, then what Is that something with specific size you are referring to?

Let me rephrase it here, if you have a vacuum without any form of particle, radiation or antimatter, does it vacuum contain nothing or is there still something in it?
If you think there’s still something in it, then what’s that something?
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by LordReed(m): 8:10am On Nov 06, 2021
TenQ:

I think you are watching to much of movies like MATRIX.

You said: If your ability to choose is part of a causal chain you had no hand in bringing about how do you know you are freely choosing those foods?
1. You have no hand in having the ability to CHOOSE
2. Our choices are normally determined by what we LIKE or will Maximise our Pleasure or Minimise our Pain
3. In Spite of these above, a human being CAN deliberately (knowing the consequence) take a CHOICE that he doesn't Like or make choices that minimizes his Pleasure or choices that maximises his discomfort/pain
* This mean that our choices are made ON THE FLY based on the surrounding EXTERNAL constraints
*This is why as humans, we sometimes make personal SACRIFICES for the good of others
*This why there is Reward or Punishment for our kind of CHOICES we make on earth

So do you agree your will is influenced by those external sources?
Re: Can You Explain How If Everything Has A Cause You Then Have Free Will? by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 06, 2021
Workch:
I am asking whether the universe is ageless or has always been full or not.

This is my question: if you manage to remove everything from the universe and nothing remains, will that nothing be real nothing to you or if no, then what Is that something with specific size you are referring to?

Let me rephrase it here, if you have a vacuum without any form of particle, radiation or antimatter, does it vacuum contain nothing or is there still something in it?
If you think there’s still something in it, then what’s that something?

I never said the universe is ageless....

That something is what you're yet to distinguish....

Didn't you discover what you were able to identify by chance

Didn't you say there was nothing before you discovered those things

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything / Need A Fraternity Or Ogboni That Can Make Me Rich And Achieve My Goal / Man Made God In His Own Image?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.