Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt (36818 Views)

New School Chemistry PDF File Download| Free Chemistry Textbook Download / How The Most Intelligent Student In My Secondary School Days Defrauded A Bank / I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:59am On Nov 10, 2021
franklingud:
Please they should not use it and cook oooo!

It's not pure yet!

Kudos teacher!
Sure. Not yet to be consumed. Still need refinement

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Omoluabi16(m): 1:32am On Nov 10, 2021
Very nice! hope its safe for use too.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by femi4: 5:28am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:
The attached picture made my day.

A group of SS2 students in one of the schools I visit to teach Chemistry came excitedly, "Sir, we have produced our own salt. We would not buy salt again in the market."

I taught them in SS1 SEPARATION TECHNIQUES that you can obtain salt (NaCl) by evaporating sea water to dryness.

The students now secretly arranged for one of them to visit Ibeno water and get sample of the seawater which they evaporated to dryness and here comes our locally made salt.

Qualitative Analysis: The salt produced on exposure to air was found to be deliquescent - attracts water from the atmosphere to dissolve itself. It dissolves completely in water. The solution of the salt gave white precipitate when tested with solution of silver nitrate, the precipitate was insoluble in nitric acid (confirmatory test for chlorides)

This indeed is very rewarding as it has been my expectation to help this young minds to begin now to figure out ways of harnessing our natural resources.

While I will continue with the work of purifying the product at my private technical center, I have advised them that the salt need to be purified to remove carbonates and other non-sodium halides etc.

We would in the present state use the salt as preservative for our emulsion paint, we would use it for laboratory test for chlorides and to demonstrate removal of hardness of water (water softening by ion exchange).

My philosophy of high school chemistry is to let them understand the theory, carry out the laboratory practicals, and apply the knowledge to do mini projects.
Tell them not to cook with it. Don't trust students
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 10, 2021
Mr Odouk

Sir
I need a favour from you. I'm a chemistry teacher (ss2 &ss1) I just got into the profession. But writing lesson plans has being an obstacle..

I don't know if your can assist me here.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by juniorstar(m): 8:14am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

A group of SS2 students in one of the schools I visit to teach Chemistry came excitedly, "Sir, we have produced our own salt. We would not buy salt again in the market."

I taught them in SS1 SEPARATION TECHNIQUES that you can obtain salt (NaCl) by evaporating sea water to dryness.

The students now secretly arranged for one of them to visit Ibeno water and get sample of the seawater which they evaporated to dryness and here comes our locally made salt.

Qualitative Analysis: The salt produced on exposure to air was found to be deliquescent - attracts water from the atmosphere to dissolve itself. It dissolves completely in water. The solution of the salt gave white precipitate when tested with solution of silver nitrate, the precipitate was insoluble in nitric acid (confirmatory test for chlorides)

This indeed is very rewarding as it has been my expectation to help this young minds to begin now to figure out ways of harnessing our natural resources.

While I will continue with the work of purifying the product at my private technical center, I have advised them that the salt need to be purified to remove carbonates and other non-sodium halides etc.

We would in the present state use the salt as preservative for our emulsion paint, we would use it for laboratory test for chlorides and to demonstrate removal of hardness of water (water softening by ion exchange).

My philosophy of high school chemistry is to let them understand the theory, carry out the laboratory practicals, and apply the knowledge to do mini projects.
Just mix acid plus base you get basically salt and water.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by PapaNnamdi: 8:37am On Nov 10, 2021
Even if you are Albert Einstein, don't in your life teach in a private school in Nigeria

These school owners are dubious and criminal minded
Never accept a teaching job that pays below 100k.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 10, 2021
In November 2021!

Smh…
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by drlateef: 8:48am On Nov 10, 2021
Teachers like you are what Nigeria needs. They were the ones that made me an excellent science student and revived my future aspirations. Kudos to you.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by xeratech: 8:48am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

The students now secretly arranged for one of them to visit Ibeno water and get sample of the seawater
Who the fvck are you and why do you do such things??
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Jalaw: 8:51am On Nov 10, 2021
janed0e:
Hope you test the PH level of the salt

Do you mean Port-harcourt?
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by ignis: 8:52am On Nov 10, 2021
franklingud:
Please they should not use it and cook oooo!

It's not pure yet!

Kudos teacher!

They are apparently smarter than you... So they know that already.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Alfamann: 8:53am On Nov 10, 2021
Just see Zoo levels.

Salt that primitive neantherthals have been purifying since.

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by laidima88(m): 8:54am On Nov 10, 2021
Though I commend your effort o but as a chemist, evaporation to dryness shouldn't be what to celebrate in this century, heseinberg was a secondary school student when he discovered uncertainty principle likewise Dalton and others
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by xeratech: 8:54am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

That salt is not safe for consumption unless it is purified. Unfortunately purification techniques is not taught in secondary schools. Only Chemistry major could perform such cool

Lalasticlala seun mynd44 should take down this misleading post fast.

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Stronghold91: 8:54am On Nov 10, 2021
start packaging for sale and begin to make money
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 10, 2021
Those of you encouraging him it's like you people are drunk cheesy how can you tell me that black sand is salt...
Make una no vex me undecided for your info Op none of them would dare put that poison in their food including you grin
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Skillsnigeria: 8:55am On Nov 10, 2021
That's good
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Nyanabo(m): 8:55am On Nov 10, 2021
We still have good and enthusiastic teachers around. Highly commendable sir.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by thaoriginator: 8:56am On Nov 10, 2021
Savi78:
Abeg give me small salt make I put inside my beans
Sandy salt+Stony beans =

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by des4ella(m): 8:56am On Nov 10, 2021
Kudos to you and more wisdom.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by do4luv14(m): 8:56am On Nov 10, 2021
nice one, more of this will set our students up to be reckon with,

keep it up sir, good work,
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by 2metrelaurie(m): 8:56am On Nov 10, 2021
NaOH + HCL >>>> NaCl + H2O

Basic Acid base neutralization reaction
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Marpol2021(m): 8:57am On Nov 10, 2021
DoggoneDogg ogbeni wenti you want do with their faces...:

Snap their faces ogbeni. Leave English.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by tunize(m): 8:57am On Nov 10, 2021
Better teacher my love for sciences died with the set of teachers I had back then your students are really lucky to have a teacher like you bless up!
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by xeratech: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2021
ignis:

They are apparently smarter than you... So they know that already.
Shut your fvcking mouth there. The teacher might not even know
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by MARX77(m): 8:57am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

You deserve to be highly paid for your commitment to this noble profession. Thumbs up
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Patented: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

Well done,

your reward will be on earth and in heaven too
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by realstars: 8:58am On Nov 10, 2021
This is Akwa Ibom State by the mention of Ibeno Waters.

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by jditimiya(m): 8:59am On Nov 10, 2021
We can make this student proud when we share this and win.

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by oxygeng: 8:59am On Nov 10, 2021
Mr teacher; I am very curious to know the volume of sea water (dm cube) that produce this quantity of salt? Probably your students got the water from dead sea?
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Forgodsgrace: 8:59am On Nov 10, 2021
For yahoo boys, the oga kpatakpata of them all is Buhari/Tinubu APC

1. APC scam Nigerians 2times (2015 and 2020) and they want to scam Nigerians again in 2023. God forbid.

2. APC made.fake promises
$1 under corruption - 180 naira
$1 under integrity - 575 naira

1 loaf of bread under corruption - 250 naira
1 loaf of bread under integrity - 600 naira

.......and the list goes on

@Deji Adeyanju

3. Osibanjo's APC scams Nigeria again:
Yemi Osibanjo says he is doing school feeding.
He has been doing school feeding for 6 years now.
Meaning the VP has been doing school feeding since when the 11 year old (who stole yam) was 5 years old.
If truly school feeding exist, this 11 years old would have been in school eating.

Meanwhile over 700million is spent on school feeding daily, over the past 6 years.

........but corrupt thieves like Osibanjo, are looting the money in the name of school feeding and the hungry police officer is charging a hungry minor to court for stealing food.

Today he has the guts to talk about reducing cost of governance.

Shame on this useless Fulani FG representative.

4. North APC scams Nigerians every day
What Do Northern States Really Want ?

1. Restructuring, NO
2. VAT collection by states, NO
3. Ranching, NO
4. Zoning or rotational Presidency, NO
5. Creation of state police, NO
6. True Fiscal federalism, NO
7. Electronic transmission, NO
8. Declaration of Boko Haram, bandits terrorist group, NO
9. Anti-open grazing, NO
10. Cattle tax, NO
11. National Conference, NO
12 Referendum, NO
13. Regional self-rule, NO
14. Constitutional review, NO
15. Biafra Republic, NO
16. Oduduwa Republic, NO
17. Middle Belt Region, NO
18. Social media freedom, NO

5.I want to know the landlord of Aso Rock. Fulani FG has been paying billion naira rent for aso rock, who is the landlord?

When the want to loot, they do horrible projects, but when they want to actually do something, they borrow outrageous amount.

Is aso rock clinic the nation's priority?
They have already been spending trillions in maintenance of the clinic every year. How many times do they want to build aso Rock clinic?

APC IS THE GREATEST YAHOO YAHOO BUSINESS.

Copied

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The difference between 'Goodluck' and 'Good luck' / Samuel Oye Bamidele: Students Expose Their Breasts To Tempt Me / Dates And Schedules For JAMB UTME 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.