Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,434 members, 7,830,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt (36846 Views)

New School Chemistry PDF File Download| Free Chemistry Textbook Download / How The Most Intelligent Student In My Secondary School Days Defrauded A Bank / I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by muheeb01(m): 9:47am On Nov 10, 2021
Wow impressive
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Bbbwings: 9:48am On Nov 10, 2021
The next step would be to purify it.
And crystallization probably.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by flamingREED(m): 9:59am On Nov 10, 2021
Please, don't eat that salt.
Industrial preparation isn't detailedly covered in Ababio or Essential Chemistry.

I'm sure you're seasoned enough to understand what I'm saying.
Sea water contains other dissolved substances whose potency we cannot verify in a school lab.
I hope you show our comments to them.

But it's still a gorgeous feat.
Keep it up.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by AnaCheks(m): 10:03am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:
The attached picture made my day.

A group of SS2 students in one of the schools I visit to teach Chemistry came excitedly, "Sir, we have produced our own salt. We would not buy salt again in the market."

I taught them in SS1 SEPARATION TECHNIQUES that you can obtain salt (NaCl) by evaporating sea water to dryness.

The students now secretly arranged for one of them to visit Ibeno water and get sample of the seawater which they evaporated to dryness and here comes our locally made salt.

Qualitative Analysis: The salt produced on exposure to air was found to be deliquescent - attracts water from the atmosphere to dissolve itself. It dissolves completely in water. The solution of the salt gave white precipitate when tested with solution of silver nitrate, the precipitate was insoluble in nitric acid (confirmatory test for chlorides)

This indeed is very rewarding as it has been my expectation to help this young minds to begin now to figure out ways of harnessing our natural resources.

While I will continue with the work of purifying the product at my private technical center, I have advised them that the salt need to be purified to remove carbonates and other non-sodium halides etc.

We would in the present state use the salt as preservative for our emulsion paint, we would use it for laboratory test for chlorides and to demonstrate removal of hardness of water (water softening by ion exchange).

My philosophy of high school chemistry is to let them understand the theory, carry out the laboratory practicals, and apply the knowledge to do mini projects.
Please i sent you a mail
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Akemmi(m): 10:04am On Nov 10, 2021
OP, please what's the name of your school and where is it located?
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Hassanmaye(m): 10:09am On Nov 10, 2021
SegZ24:

Abeg if the beans don done, alert me make I bring garri
grin grin
grin grin you people have started
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by ekanx27(m): 10:16am On Nov 10, 2021
Well done teacher. But the amount of Gas used to heat to sea water to dryness is more expensive than the salt they said they couldn't buy. Aside the fact that they have learnt what Evaporation is and the cationic and anionic test for the salt is the Pinnacle of the learning but say they don't have money to buy salt that's why they heat sea water to dryness is Fallacious and doesn't hold water. Once again, Thumbs up to you teacher. By the way I am also a Chemistry teacher in one of the private schools.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by laiza(m): 10:21am On Nov 10, 2021
Wow!!! Do you know how proud I am reading this? I would love to employ you but not now. We're a start up Pharma and Veterinary company and we would definitely need great minds like yours. I studied chemistry before I went for Pharmacy. You can definitely be in our R&grin department or even laboratory to do analysis on products.
Please reach out and keep in touch.
Weldone and a big thanks from all of us at Hasb Pharma and Veterinary Limited.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Neddyogu(m): 10:27am On Nov 10, 2021
Nice one. Hope they added iodine and other trace elements to avoid goitre tins.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Tannhauser(m): 10:31am On Nov 10, 2021
Thegracefulness:
You’re a brilliant man. I’m something of a genius myself too. But tell this to the average individual and they’d misunderstand you.

I’m thankful for the woman that birthed me for the opportunity and wisdom she imbibed in me. Unfortunately she’s an “out of school” housewife. I remember one Saturday evening after I had my worst result in school, and then I came back with my report card, and after consoling me, she was forced to tell me her story.

Let me quote her verbatim. She said “I wish I had the chance at pursuing my academics to this practical level. But in our society then, it was unlike today. It was difficult for us women. My father—who is your Grandfather, refused to send me to school because he thought ‘women preserved their values, while men created it.’ That is why the average woman is more desirable and valuable than the average man. I was barely concerned about succeeding in school. I just wanted to go to school because schooling was what at least one girl in each family did at that time. And I was fortunate that your aunties—my sisters, singled me out to go. Because at that time they had boyfriends, and their boyfriends would laugh at them if they found out that they sat down with children for hours, in a small classroom, merely looking at a blackboard.”

She concluded by saying; “Success isn’t a lifestyle choice for ANY man. It’s a matter of life and death. On the other hand, look around you; It’s a lifestyle choice only for SOME women. A woman who fails at career or academia can just simply give up and become a wife, a lover or choose to become a mother like in my case. She would now suddenly be wanted for who she is, or what she has become. But tell me, who is interested in a man who is a loser? NOBODY. What can he make out of his unfortunate situation? Misery. More misery until the end of his days. Pursue your education like your whole life depends on it, because someday you’d realise your whole life really depends on it.”

I almost teared up after this conversation. You have no idea how motivated I became and where it got me today. I wish she had the opportunity I had.

A true genius does not consider himself one
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Yankee101: 10:37am On Nov 10, 2021
Good on the purification and probably use only for industrial purposes at this stage not consumption due to the absence of iodine (goita)
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oemies35: 10:39am On Nov 10, 2021
Is it not boiling salt water to dryness? What's the big deal there?
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Johnboom: 10:48am On Nov 10, 2021
I am a Chemist too, you don't need to purify it. This is better than purify one as it contains other nutrients.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Omobada(m): 10:58am On Nov 10, 2021
Thegracefulness:
You’re a brilliant man. I’m something of a genius myself too. But tell this to the average individual and they’d misunderstand you.

I’m thankful for the woman that birthed me for the opportunity and wisdom she imbibed in me. Unfortunately she’s an “out of school” housewife. I remember one Saturday evening after I had my worst result in school, and then I came back with my report card, and after consoling me, she was forced to tell me her story.

Let me quote her verbatim. She said “I wish I had the chance at pursuing my academics to this practical level. But in our society then, it was unlike today. It was difficult for us women. My father—who is your Grandfather, refused to send me to school because he thought ‘women preserved their values, while men created it.’ That is why the average woman is more desirable and valuable than the average man. I was barely concerned about succeeding in school. I just wanted to go to school because schooling was what at least one girl in each family did at that time. And I was fortunate that your aunties—my sisters, singled me out to go. Because at that time they had boyfriends, and their boyfriends would laugh at them if they found out that they sat down with children for hours, in a small classroom, merely looking at a blackboard.”

She concluded by saying; “Success isn’t a lifestyle choice for ANY man. It’s a matter of life and death. On the other hand, look around you; It’s a lifestyle choice only for SOME women. A woman who fails at career or academia can just simply give up and become a wife, a lover or choose to become a mother like in my case. She would now suddenly be wanted for who she is, or what she has become. But tell me, who is interested in a man who is a loser? NOBODY. What can he make out of his unfortunate situation? Misery. More misery until the end of his days. Pursue your education like your whole life depends on it, because someday you’d realise your whole life really depends on it.”

I almost teared up after this conversation. You have no idea how motivated I became and where it got me today. I wish she had the opportunity I had.

Thanks bro for making my day. I'm saving this comment right now and going to be reading it every day.
May God's mercy never depart your mum wherever she is. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful mum.

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Dayotheeone(m): 10:58am On Nov 10, 2021
please be careful so they don't poison themselves and add iodine to the salt o! Abeg o!
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by bluefilm: 11:08am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

A group of SS2 students in one of the schools I visit to teach Chemistry came excitedly, "Sir, we have produced our own salt. We would not buy salt again in the market."

I taught them in SS1 SEPARATION TECHNIQUES that you can obtain salt (NaCl) by evaporating sea water to dryness.

The students now secretly arranged for one of them to visit Ibeno water and get sample of the seawater which they evaporated to dryness and here comes our locally made salt.

Qualitative Analysis: The salt produced on exposure to air was found to be deliquescent - attracts water from the atmosphere to dissolve itself. It dissolves completely in water. The solution of the salt gave white precipitate when tested with solution of silver nitrate, the precipitate was insoluble in nitric acid (confirmatory test for chlorides)

This indeed is very rewarding as it has been my expectation to help this young minds to begin now to figure out ways of harnessing our natural resources.

While I will continue with the work of purifying the product at my private technical center, I have advised them that the salt need to be purified to remove carbonates and other non-sodium halides etc.

We would in the present state use the salt as preservative for our emulsion paint, we would use it for laboratory test for chlorides and to demonstrate removal of hardness of water (water softening by ion exchange).

My philosophy of high school chemistry is to let them understand the theory, carry out the laboratory practicals, and apply the knowledge to do mini projects.
But can this salt cure COVID?
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by crafteck(m): 11:22am On Nov 10, 2021
Thegracefulness:

funny
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by crafteck(m): 11:24am On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

Theres more to making salt than that, i dont know all about it but i definitely know you should play around with what people will ingest, do you know the other chemicals present in the river, do you know about lead poisoning even when its in trace amounts... Do you know about cancer.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by crafteck(m): 11:27am On Nov 10, 2021
Johnboom:
I am a Chemist too, you don't need to purify it. This is better than purify one as it contains other nutrients.

As a chemist, you should know the danger of some elements that the water could contain playing around in the blood stream
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by boomssey(f): 1:00pm On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

sugar nko
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by seanjy4konji: 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2021
People that would end og doing holonsho work and yahoo boys later with the way buhari is hell bent of making the young nigerians useless...

At least you did your own part...

Lekki phase 1 is their residential address later in life for the girls....

MaylasiaLondon,Usa,Hong kong.China,Ukraine is for the guys doing yahooo full time...

They will all make it big in life because they have brains...
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by franklingud(m): 1:35pm On Nov 10, 2021
ignis:

They are apparently smarter than you... So they know that already.
I no want trouble this afternoon ooooo!

Mind yourself bros.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by franklingud(m): 1:35pm On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

Sure. Not yet to be consumed. Still need refinement
Yeah boss, you are doing great.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by alphaNomega: 1:56pm On Nov 10, 2021
Akporo1234:
Seconadary school teacher wey sabi. I'm sure you'll be the Students' Fave.
Good one Bro!

[color=#990000][/color] still dropping trending campus gist since 1827
very useless site
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Osanoghodua1: 1:56pm On Nov 10, 2021
Why was I even better in Physics, Maths than Chemistry? To think that Chemistry is far easier than physics. I may start reading my chemistry book again. Left secondary school 2003. While in secondary school, I taught futher Maths, physics and mathematics to area boys and girls and even to fellow class mate. God has been merciful enough to me. Today I am now selling bible and teaching crypto. Don't contact me to teach you crypto, it's too time demanding.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Wchris(m): 2:25pm On Nov 10, 2021
Is the salt usable or killable [url][/url][url][/url]
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by NumeroUna(f): 8:45pm On Nov 10, 2021
Kudos!! I'm sure your students will look forward to your classes.

Good a thing you learnt well and are willing to impart same
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Johnboom: 9:24pm On Nov 10, 2021
crafteck:

As a chemist, you should know the danger of some elements that the water could contain playing around in the blood stream
Pls tell me. I can tell you is saved. Infact is better than conventional salt.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Johnboom: 9:27pm On Nov 10, 2021
Osanoghodua1:
Why was I even better in Physics, Maths than Chemistry? To think that Chemistry is far easier than physics. I may start reading my chemistry book again. Left secondary school 2003. While in secondary school, I taught futher Maths, physics and mathematics to area boys and girls and even to fellow class mate. God has been merciful enough to me. Today I am now selling bible and teaching crypto. Don't contact me to teach you crypto, it's too time demanding.
For your information Physics is a lot easier than Chemistry. Physics is a little direct than Chemistry. Just advanced Mathematics.
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by MeghaneMorgane(f): 10:33pm On Nov 10, 2021
Oduok:

Thank you sir. You’re a very good teacher. I want to be like you when I grow up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Methods Of Exam. Malpractice In Nigerian Higher Institutions. / Samuel Oye Bamidele: Students Expose Their Breasts To Tempt Me / English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.