Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,224 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings (34416 Views)

My Landlady Issued Me A Quit Notice For Hosting A Female Friend / How Ladies Give My Fiancé 'Green Light' In My Presence, Not Minding My Ring / She Call It Quit Because I Said Her Food Is Not Sweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by pocohantas(f): 10:40am On Nov 16, 2021
Arieljay:

She's done enough,if she bends more than this then the guy will use it to his advantage in the future,if he wants to separate cause of this then he's not ready for marriage,girls with useless attitudes are getting hooked up left and right and this innocent girl is been overstretched just to be locking her in-laws a*as when they haven't even started,omongirl run run run

Nigerian men would surprise you o. grin

3 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by advanceDNA: 10:40am On Nov 16, 2021
[quote author=Arieljay post=107667410][/quote]

Beyond her??
You are wrong... the man has not asked for what’s beyond her...She’s not autistic neither is she antisocial otherwise she won’t have a boyfriend in the first place....
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by drnoel: 10:40am On Nov 16, 2021
Jman06:
Y'all should cut the guy some slack abeg. Always looking for means to blame guys in everything related to women.

The guy's siblings are actually right. If the guy can build a rapport with her own family, nothing stops her from doing same. So, she should put in more efforts or get herself off the way for the guy to look for another lady.

U forget there is no right or wrong on this issue. There is only what is and what's possible.

To respond to Ur comment. The OP has already said that she is introverted and her guy is an extrovert. Normally such relationships work well cos their characters pull on eachother to form a balance where they both can thrive in the relationship. But word of warning here is that they both have to work on it to find that balance.

To go back to the topic in question. The guys Siblings are wrong. They can't be more wrong that it even hurts to think about how wrong they are. You can't use the fact that someone is shy and introverted and make a definitive judgement about the person. Not everyone has the Charisma to be overly entertaining. Does not make such persons proud, bad or in their point or view feeling big.
The OP should be herself and attempt to be friendly and accommodating to her guys people without being overly pretentious about the kind of person she is.
I can tell U that nothing she does would change whatever opinion they have already. Her guys people will probably already see her as proud and fake and desperate. Hence the said comments from one of the sibs. That is where see finish comes in. I mean, did the men who married the sisters put them thru all that shit?
This issue where our girls put all their hopes in marriage should be overhauled. It's unfair.
If her guy doesn't see her worth enough to put a ring on the finger, it's his loss. Ofcos that is if she is gainfully employed and keeping her own.

6 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Blackfriday: 10:41am On Nov 16, 2021
Havilaah1:

Seriously it baffles me how he's forgetting other good qualities i have cos of this issue.
This same people I'm not yet closed I've sent gifts and cash on birthdays. I don't know how to pretend, i know some girls will pretend in situations like this and go back to their old ways once married.
Please, this a mistake you shouldn't make, trying to quantify your cash gifts to ur prospective in-laws.

I honestly understand your view, being that, I'm a strong introvert myself but equally I understand ur bf view as well. What he is asking to give, he has already given to your family and not that his family dislike you, they only want a close bond with their future sister in-law.

Please, come out of your shell and bond with them, have a discussion with ur bf and let him know, you will do better and speak with the sisters and address their concerns, let them know this is who you are and it does not mean you love them less, you are a work in progress and you will do ur part to build that family they want with you (communicate).

It's obvious your bf loves you much and you love him too, so make it work. I had only be concerned, if he is asking you to bond with his family and not doing so with your family. Remember, family is the foundation of every successful marriage.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by chieni(f): 10:41am On Nov 16, 2021
Favfables1:
It's obvious your boyfriend has a very close relationship with his family and i can say that his opinion is largely influenced by what his family thinks ((thus that's why he's acting withdrawn because his family has reservations about you))...

The solution is quite simple...
Work things out with his family, try and get close to them....
There's nothing like "that's how I am", that mentality is BULLSHIT!!!!!! If it's important to you, you'll look for a way to make it work...
If you can't compromise, then walk away and date someone who's family you flow well with...chikina!!

On the other hand, your boyfriend should cut you some slack as regards you and his family...you can't become besties with people you barely spend time with...so tell the alaye make him rest small...

And please forget those childish people asking you "whether you're getting married to your boyfriend and his family?" With the closeness of your boyfriend to his family, if then no like you ...forget am... Them go table your matter for family meeting and you go see the results of the matter, whether e favour you or not...

Lastly...
Never expect that guy to choose you over his family ...you're just his girlfriend or fiancee and thus you're easily replaceable, but his family are not so... Like them elders go talk, "blood thick pass water"

It seems you really dont understand what it means to be an introvert. They can't change to be a talkative because people say so. It doesn't happen that way. Even if they are around people they are close to, it doesn't mean they talk throughout like a radio. Its their nature everyone can't be the same. Would you like for her to start talking out of point or saying irrelevant things because she wants to please people?
My advise for her is to Japa. There are families out there who will accept her for who she is.

3 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by chieni(f): 10:42am On Nov 16, 2021
Havilaah1:

I've told him severally that i will try talking with them.
I asked him what his response was when they asked the question, he said so that's what matters to me now abi.
please run. A broken relationship is better than a broken marriage. This one no bi love.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by TheOnlyUyai(f): 10:44am On Nov 16, 2021
Penguin2:

Just that I personally, and over 99 percent of men, will not put a ring on your finger if you can’t relate with my siblings. I will never.

If I were him I would dump your ass straight away because you going back to say you have accepted his siblings will only amount to pretense just for the marriage to happen then you go back to hating his siblings.

People like you cause your husbands to be detached from their families after marriage.

Change your ways!

Sorry sir, speak for yourself and your ilks of small-mindedness. Na una type dey marry pretenders for house.

6 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by VULCAN(m): 10:44am On Nov 16, 2021
Your last sentence is pure gold.

If only more people saw life this way.

If you truly make that your attitude he will be the one to come begging in the long run.

The fear of if he/she leaves me has led to uncountable disasters in this life. And in the end the person will either leave or stay and break you into pieces.

Like someone says. Good women are very few outside. If he leaves you he may see your wedding card within 6 to 9months.

Carry Go
Havilaah1:

At some point i wanted to believe he defended me but then again i thought if he really did he could have told me he tried explaining my personality to them but i should try reaching out to them.
I'm not considering ending things because he ticks most of my boxes but if he decides to end a beautiful relationship cos of this, i won't sweat it.

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by chris51(f): 10:49am On Nov 16, 2021
My dear, I will be very honest with you. If you have been in a relationship with a man for some years and not close to his family, it means you are not serious, especially if you are both talking about marriage.

It has nothing to do with being an introvert. By now you should have built close relationship with the family. They will be the ones encouraging him to marry you.

If you are not careful, one of his sisters may introduce her friend to him. If you are not close to them, they will not trust you enough to marry their brother.

Please try and work on your relationship with them.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by chris51(f): 10:49am On Nov 16, 2021
chris51:
My dear, I will be very honest with you. If you have been in a relationship with a man for some years and not close to his family, it means you are not serious, especially if you are both talking about marriage.

It has nothing to do with being an introvert. By now you should have built close relationship with the family. They will be the ones encouraging him to marry you.

If you are not careful, one of his sisters may introduce her friend to him. If you are not close to them, they will not trust you enough to marry their brother.

Please try and work on your relationship with them.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by zyzxx(m): 10:52am On Nov 16, 2021
snazzie:

God bless you for this advice
Amen
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by uckyra: 10:52am On Nov 16, 2021
my you don't need to worry yourself, we can't kill or eat shit all because we want to settle down,people like their space n don't like disturbance,that's how I see it,if they want their space let it be.don't have sleepless night because of someone.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Mariangeles(f): 10:58am On Nov 16, 2021
bigpicture001:
U even tried.... Mine found excuse at the oddest time to avoid my sis wedding and blame shifted....

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha grin
LWKMD! grin
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by pedo360: 11:00am On Nov 16, 2021
Swissheart:
@Havilaah1 most of the comments here are surprising. You are in a relationship with a man that you are convinced is very much in love with you, he has a very good relationship with your family and until recently he showers you with all the attention you need, you want to lose him because you can't get along with his family?

Look, Love comes with sacrifices and a little bit of empathy. Have you pictured what is going on in his head? You guys would have separated long ago if his siblings disliked you and I am sure you boyfriend is reacting now only because he has started considering settling down and he wants that part of concern resolved.

Being cordial with sibling-in-law especially closely knitted ones can't be over emphasized. You'll need them no matter how much your spouse loves you. How do you intend building a friendship that never existed after marriage? Bearing in mind that they'll be the least on my mind after marriage. You need to get along with them now. Sometimes people aren't really interested in your money or gifts, they just want to vibe with you and be assured they won't be given attitude when they visit you after marriage.

You need to talk to your partner and this, make him understand that you are interested in being cool with them and he should help you. He knows them better. When to call, visit, what to say and what to do.

I am way younger than all my husbands siblings and they are all boys! I made sure we got along because my husband is a great guy, I love him and I want him to be happy.

About someone saying they'll sack you.....it is a lie. If they meant it, they won't say it to your face.

This is one of the most sensible comments I have read on this tread don't let people that are forming woke deceive you.

It's just like a senario where you are the only one calling and checking up on a friend and the friends excuse is that "I am not the calling type". Trust me overtime you would feel the friendship is one sided. That's how your fiance is feeling right now. Because he has made efforts to connect with your family while you relationship with his family is still from afar.

Talk to him and both of you should look for ways to bridge the gap between his siblings and you, he knows them better and knows how to get their attention.
On your own part try and let them know that you are this kind of reserved person , showing concern that you heard about their concerns and would want to work on it might do the magic.

Don't let social media woke make you loose a good thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:01am On Nov 16, 2021
pocohantas:

Did you sacrifice before your own wife agreed to marry you? Why do Nigerian men put unnecessary pressure on your wives and wonder why she is aging fast?
.... Hahahahahaha. I made so many sacrifices to the extent I had to use catapiller to grade their road and make it motorable.

I no wan begin talk about others. Love is all about sacrifices
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Mariangeles(f): 11:04am On Nov 16, 2021
[s]
mosdii:
Nigerian Girls Are Useless...All Of Them
[/s]

Useless mumu!

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by descarado: 11:08am On Nov 16, 2021
Broken relationship is better than broken marriage.
Yours will come.

Marriage never start and his family members don carry your matter for head like gala shocked

I will run without looking back.
They have somebody they want him to marry and the guy isn't man enough. See as they are dragging a man for brokos

5 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by adabaraabdul: 11:08am On Nov 16, 2021
Exactly the same way you poured your mind here, pour it out to him. Its not a big deal, just discuss with him.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by AdedoyinO(f): 11:10am On Nov 16, 2021
frozen70:

It's obvious you do t just like relating with people and you don't see why you have to, but let me put somethings right to you

As a matter of fact, that you and your guy loves yourselves is not enough reason to carry on, family or no family

As it is now, your guy could get another lady that is head over heals I've his family and the family may advise him to drop you that you don't relate the wah this babe does. No matter your bond, he will follow his family, do you know why ?

Non of his family members can fight for you because you don't relate with them so they don't connect with you

If for example you have issues with your guy in this marriage, they will never stand with you because you didn't come close to them for them to understand you

Lastly they have concluded that you are not friendly and it's possible you will teach your children same way and those children may grow up not relating with their cousin's simply because you don't interact with their parents

Make sure your read the above post again and again and use it to guide yourself

Family is everything and no sensible one jokes their's

The bolded is the reason you have be very mindful about how much influence his family have over your fiancée decision making.

If you get married and they advise him to divorce you based on their personal reasons...the marriage is as good as gone.

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Midastorch(m): 11:10am On Nov 16, 2021
Chrisx1x:
Are you normal at all?
Was I talking to you? Fvck off from my mention you.
Go get a life brov...
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by descarado: 11:11am On Nov 16, 2021
bukatyne:

@bold cheesy

I don't have time this morning.

My simple advise to OP:

RUN!

God will give you your man.

I wouldn't waste time running without looking back.
That marriage is a failure already before it has started.

It's painful.

Always marry whom you are compatible with.
It's not only sexual chemistry.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Boomboost(m): 11:17am On Nov 16, 2021
Havilaah1:
Good day all, i want to pour my heart on what's bothering me and get people's view and possible solutions to the issue.

I really don't know how to go about this, please i need advice from people who have been in similar situation.
Moderator please help move to front page to get a wider view.
Roctation
farano
Please help move to front page for wider view.

Making and keeping friendships and relationships is costly, in financial or temporal terms.

Food/gifts is the way to their hearts.

Organise a picnic and have pizza enough for his siblings. Appreciate them for accepting you into their family and tell them they are the best and you just had to show it.

You can instead send a random gift if you don't wanna meet or an appreciation text. Let it flow from your heart. You'll be fine.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Yankee101: 11:17am On Nov 16, 2021
Become an extrovert with them

If you can write this ling epistle to nairalanders you don't know then you should make more effort with your future inlaws. He does with yours, you should too.
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by SolomonGrundy: 11:17am On Nov 16, 2021
Havilaah1:

Really wish he can see this. They're making it look like all brides to be are usually close to their in laws before marriage.
When one saw me during the wedding, she jokingly said see our wife that we'll soon sack. Didn't know they've been saying this.
Damn! That's not a cool utterance from his sister at all. You don't have to be close to his family. My younger sister is getting married next month and I've only spoken to the man just once through the phone. We've never met in person. Moreover, everyone is very busy these days.

Please don't change who you're for anyone or anything.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by descarado: 11:17am On Nov 16, 2021
pocohantas:

And they are in constant communication with him too. The woman’s side typically puts more effort into making things work!

I am sure her mother calls him too.

How many times has his siblings and family called her? Did they call her and she didn’t pick? Do they know her own birthday? Omo, being a woman in a marriage is hard. You’ll see families that don’t even love themselves, they’ll want to use you and settle.

Entitlement disposition.
We are doingbher a favour.
We get am too much for naija.

Being a woman in marriage isn't hard.
It's choosing well.
Most times, financial gains cloud our judgements.

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Lokojatoofar: 11:18am On Nov 16, 2021
The one my brother married doesnt even wish to see his sibblings. She allows her family live with them but if any of us visits she will decide not to feed us anyday she feels we offend her. We can't cook in her house or take food from her freezer if she doesn't give us grin and my brother loves her like that. Their family is working and we are happy for him cool

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by bukatyne(f): 11:23am On Nov 16, 2021
descarado:

I wouldn't waste time running without looking back.
That marriage is a failure already before it has started.

It's painful.

Always marry whom you are compatible with.
It's not only sexual chemistry.

A failure.

So if his sisters say 'I don't like the soup your sister cooked three years ago', he will come back home frowning undecided

So many advises here sound like African Magic.

Maybe they fantasize about working, fully engaged adults having time to visit families from one state to another or calling up & down.

Even housewives don't have the luxury of time to jump from one place to another.

'She should go and visit, spend two weeks and be cooking soup; she should attend all their events' bla bla bla.

Odiegwu!

7 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Originalsly: 11:23am On Nov 16, 2021
Read the writing on the wall ... your fiancé does not and will not have your back. This matter is not even a problem ... it is a matter of the siblings not knowing you well enough.... and you not the type of person they expected ... one of their type ... extrovert. This matter shouldn't even reach you ... he should've defended your behaviour by letting them know you the type of person you are.... slow to mingle. You were in this relationship for a few years .... but it appears to me he doesn't know you... so how long will his siblings take to know you? If this no problem is a big problem for him ... how will he manage real problems in marriage? His siblings control his life ... his choices ... if he can't stand up for you in this non issue... do you really think he would ever have your back? The writing is on the wall .... yellow flag waving at you ... your choice.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by donsheddy1(m): 11:23am On Nov 16, 2021
Havilaah1:
Good day all, i want to pour my heart on what's bothering me and get people's view and possible solutions to the issue.

I've been in a relationship with my boo for a couple of years now and it's a serious relationship, we're are very close.. infact we're practically besties aside relationship. For some months now i noticed he no longer gives me attention like he used to, the vibe between us dropped and it was getting me angry. He stopped doing the things he knows i like, he knows my love language is attention/care as well as complement but he stopped doing all these. I'd send him a photo where i look so beautiful and he'd only say you look good, at a point i started preparing my mind for the worse.

Just yesterday he told me there's something he wants us to talk to me about and it's been bothering him and i asked him what it was, he said it's about us. He said 2 of his siblings asked him same question on different occasions but, he didn't see it as a big deal the first time but when it was asked the second time he got angry and that's the reason he hasn't been flowing well with me.

The question was how can you get married to someone who is not close to your siblings, when he said this i was weak. I know when we started the relationship he told me his siblings are free people i can relate with, i told him i will try. I was in contact with 2 of his sisters before this year( i sometimes chat, text or call during birthdays, new month and festivities).

This year i started chatting with the 3rd sister, her wedding was coming up and she sent me IV. I congratulated her and she asked if i will be around, i told her i will try and create time so i can travel down to attend. I really did travel down to attend the wedding, she was surprised when she saw me but i noticed my boo wasn't happy with me all through the event.
Now he's saying he's in close communication with my mum and siblings, they talk all the time but same can not be said about me. He was thinking how can he get married and his siblings will refuse coming to his house because there's no relationship between us.

I'm a very introverted person while himself and his siblings on the other hand are extroverts and ambiverts, i don't find it easy building up ties with people from a distance. I have very few friends, i can be in a place and i won't talk if I'm not used to the people or there's no serious thing to talk about (that's the reason i talk to his siblings during birthdays, new month or festivities). I don't know how to build up a strong relationship with them before marriage, it's even worse because we don't get to see often cos they're in a different state but I've visited them on a few occasions.
How do i handle this issue. I was in deep thought all through the night, i couldn't get up to 4 hours sleep.

God knows i love his family as much as i do mine, he himself said he knows i care about them 100% but his family cannot read my mind to see that i have them in mind. After our discussion last night i couldn't sleep, I've been feeling bad about the whole thing. Introversion is making me look like I'm not a good person.

I really don't know how to go about this, please i need advice from people who have been in similar situation.
Moderator please help move to front page to get a wider view.
Roctation
farano
Please help move to front page for wider view.
If he wants to leave, let him leave. He has made his decision already believe me. If he isn't seeing your effort at this time, he's not the one for you.

I know you won't agree with my write up but I'm sure you'll have issues with his family in a no distant future, Speaking from experience.

3 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 16, 2021
jy2kbeyond:

If she leaves, will you marry her?

angry
nope but somebody else will

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by DaRenewed(m): 11:32am On Nov 16, 2021
Even though he has his point. You’ve got work to do my Sis. You need to get closer to them whichever way you could/he desires.
But know this, he’s kinda getting tired of you/the relationship (that’s why he’s aggravating the family issue/using it as an excuse. There’s only a bit of truth in it).
It happens to all men (especially when we’re dating a Woman whose Love language is 24/7 communication, attention & complement. Make I Dey tell U say U fine everytime when I dey rizin money�. U no fine na im I toast you abi na ur fine I go take gather money start family). When I’m in this mode, my babe understands & works everything out with Patience & Wisdom.
So be patient with him, apply wisdom, follow your mind & use your head. You two will get stronger after this
Re: My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings by jornwhite: 11:35am On Nov 16, 2021
pocohantas:

Make amends to what?

I ask again, do you know your brother in-law’s birthday? Do you call and text him that day? Why haven’t you made amends? Apart from sending rice and groundnut oil every Christmas, how many percentage of Nigerian men call their in-laws regularly? [b]Yet they worship you guys and try their best to call. [/b]Later we wonder why women prefer their siblings visiting. Her siblings come to serve. The man’s siblings come to be served.

Na true na. As everybody come turn model in-laws. cheesy cheesy

Aunty wey undecided lets set the record right inlaws don't worship a poor man, any experience man here knows all that call from inlaw, owo lobadé.
If a man as nothing to offer that call will only be restrained to their daughter to check if she as not died of hunger, naa the ones wey fear of God, go end the call with: our regards to him.
with current settings men tend to spend more on inlaws, cos they want to give an impression that sounds like "Mr capable"... in africa a wife is adopted into a man's family, so she serves it only logical her sibling help her @least when around while the man sibling also help the man run his own errands tew. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Measuring Your Di*k Size: Are You Really Above The Average? / How Can I Get My Man To Do The "Door Knocking"? / Women Are Not Always The Problem In Relationships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.