Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,746 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House (72278 Views)

What I Saw In The New Queens Primer*pics* / Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu / Corper: "HND Holders Burn Your Useless Certificates & Start Selling Tomatoes" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by NairalandSARS: 2:41pm On Nov 20, 2021
NoApology:
So one of my uncles that is based overseas is billed to come home this Xmas, as such a lot of cleaning and fumigation has been going on in his house in readiness for his come back.

I went this morning to supervise the work going on there. I went inside of the stores by the car house and saw this old metal cabinet and I decided to check what's inside. Lo and behold, I found in the midst of old paper files and debris my uncle's Nigerian certificates! Omo!

Rats has eaten some portions of the certificates. I scanned through and discovered that he was,by his Nigerian qualifications, below average. This is the same man that is an internationally sort after lawyer both in the country and overseas where he resides.

This got me wondering with so many questions on my mind:
1. Are certificates really overrated?

2. Does it really come a time in our lives (apart from death) when our certificates becomes irrelevant?

3. Is it not obsolete to measure ones intelligence based on exam performances? ( My uncle would have been jobless or better still a charge and bail lawyer at best going by his academic performance)

4. And why do Nigerians perform better in almost everything when the leave this country? Are we too stringent or is a reflection of our flawed system?

Who said they measure your intelligence with academic performance?
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by superlion17: 3:12pm On Nov 20, 2021
Wow!
Products of my alma mater no dey disappoint!
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Zainabthegirl1(f): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2021
Lol
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Hkff: 5:37pm On Nov 20, 2021
Oh
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Joshuazedd(m): 6:35pm On Nov 20, 2021
If he's still practicing law, why do you think the certificate is useless? He started somewhere where he needed it. He's at a level where he doesn't need to submit his CV. He may have scanned documents too.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by PoliteActivist: 7:01pm On Nov 20, 2021
Joeyfizzo:
My Bsc and Msc certificates in Architecture got me where I am today.
And where exactly are you today and how
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Joeyfizzo: 7:16pm On Nov 20, 2021
PoliteActivist:

And where exactly are you today and how
Working in respectable Gov't organization earning 450k, free 2 bedroom flat, free healthcare for me n my family...still doing private practice. So glad I studied Archi, my certificates really helped
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Techguy96(m): 8:22pm On Nov 20, 2021
maxwell530:
the issue is not just starting up just any company. While the capital to start a manufacturing company can be huge but considering the ideas most of the supposed billionaires has, you will agree that some filling stations,bars, hotels worth in Lagos and Abuja can actually start a manufacturing company.
Many Nigerians might not have the luxury but the few that has, what sort of businesses do they start? That's the question bro.
Nigerians are not that creative and that's why we still import everything. We always want our capital to return in 6 months. The Versace,Armani, Microsoft etc start from the bottom. The Samsung,infinix, iPhone, Tecno we depends on actually were creative ideas of some people and believe me those companies did not start with billions. Imagine we don't have to import our Phones, TVs, computers and so on, our economy might not be depending on foreign currency.

It's well Sha
You can't use those few to judge all Nigerians. Start up like paystack, flutterwave, piggybank, etc were also started by Nigerians.

Tho I get ur point, most Nigerians rich and powerful are not smart business wise.

1 Like

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Techguy96(m): 8:24pm On Nov 20, 2021
NairalandSARS:

Who said they measure your intelligence with academic performance?
They do in Nigeria. why do companies prefer employing first class it's because they deem them intelligent.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by NairalandSARS: 9:21pm On Nov 20, 2021
Techguy96:

They do in Nigeria. why do companies prefer employing first class it's because they deem them intelligent.

Because they are more knowledgeable?
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Basic123: 9:36pm On Nov 20, 2021
NewDelhi:

That's why I laugh when some people shout Nigerians make it everywhere. They've never met those Indians, pakis and Chinese. Those guys are all over the globe making it big and making impacts. .
Have they ever said Nigerians perform better than them?....NO....what they say is that restricted to Nigerians not in relation to them.He could have said...Indians,Chinese and Pakis ALSO....
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Basic123: 9:38pm On Nov 20, 2021
backbencher:

The reason why your uncle is a sought after lawyer despite his 'not so perfect' results is simple

He realized , early enough , that learning does not stop when you graduate. Learning goes on even after the degree has finished.

That is why he is a great lawyer....and a wise man.
This is me!
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Basic123: 9:41pm On Nov 20, 2021
redcliff:

who compared nigerians to chinese and indians? he only said Nigerians perform better than they would have done if they were in thr country. Saying indians and chinese are better is a topic of discussion for another day not here.
Don't mind him. He belongs to the crew of "how does this reduce the price of Gaari"....even when a thread has nothing to do with Gaari grin
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by PoliteActivist: 10:44pm On Nov 20, 2021
Joeyfizzo:
Working in respectable Gov't organization earning 450k, free 2 bedroom flat, free healthcare for me n my family...still doing private practice. So glad I studied Archi, my certificates really helped

Ok it's gov't. Good 4 ya. Know some who studied same but barely getting by
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Payperboii(m): 10:59pm On Nov 20, 2021
obinnashady:
how much do you have bro.
Enough to be my local government chairman
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by vikgreen01(m): 5:26pm On Nov 21, 2021
Techguy96:

This is my plan but what are the chances of gaining admission in a European country in my late 20s giving that I want to start bsc all over again.

I wouldn’t advice you start bsc all over again if u already have one. You can start at masters level or you go and acquire a lot of certifications per skill set. A Nigerian bsc certificate is not that useless don’t be misguided BUT if u categorically frank about a certificate here then purse what u believe is best for u. All the best
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Techguy96(m): 3:41pm On Nov 22, 2021
vikgreen01:

I wouldn’t advice you start bsc all over again if u already have one. You can start at masters level or you go and acquire a lot of certifications per skill set. A Nigerian bsc certificate is not that useless don’t be misguided BUT if u categorically frank about a certificate here then purse what u believe is best for u. All the best
Thing is I want to go for a different course.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by vikgreen01(m): 7:13pm On Nov 22, 2021
Techguy96:

Thing is I want to go for a different course.

Oh ok
All the best...
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by obinnashady(m): 7:11am On Nov 29, 2021
Payperboii:

Enough to be my local government chairman
I've got Facebook for sale though
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Payperboii(m): 8:41am On Nov 29, 2021
obinnashady:
I've got Facebook for sale though
Whatsapp +1(913) 346-1513
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
NairalandSARS:

Because they are more knowledgeable?

Noticed you sent a mail...don't have access to the mail for now...you can mention me in any dead thread and we talk there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jamb scores 8th and 9th candidates below 200. / Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself / Best Five University Hostels In Nigeria(photos) - Kinesthouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.