Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,964 members, 7,835,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) (6330 Views)

Bukola Saraki Drinks 7 Litres Of Water Daily / Adamawa Youths Wash Off Buhari's Footsteps With Truck Of Water, Burn Brooms / "See How Scared APC Are At Borno Rally, Fear Of 'Defeated' Boko Haram"- Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by SlayerForever: 12:05pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Ukwuani, Opobo, Bonny, a quater of Anambra, A quater of Imo, 1/4 of Abia, 1/4 of Anioma, 1/2 of Ikwerre, 1/2 of other Rivers Igbos, 1/10 of Benue Igbos, 1/10 of Enugu, 1/10 of Ebonyi, does that look like a potential good swimming score

Check how much of our territory is water first.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:06pm On Nov 24, 2021
chiefobdk2:

Your post holds no waters..
This is one of the most unintelligent post I ve ever read..
Communities who live by the water naturally all know how to swim...
Go to Anambra North and cure ur ignorance..

You can't expect someone who live in place like Enugu who don't have contact with pool or river to be bothered about swimming...

Its not aquaphobia. Its what it is. Fact..
The persons you asked do not know how to swim.. How do you ask someone who does not know how to swim and expect a positive reply.. Why did you not ask friends who could swim.. Maybe you did and they obliged, but you can't write it here because it will automatically defeat your ridiculous narrative...

Me I'm even thinking you fabricated all this just for likes and to sound woke...

I hope say no be Alex reporters be this because if so I hope u quash what ever thought u have of joining politics because with this thought process you won't have anything to offer..
Majority of those people you mentioned does not live in rural communities, in fact 50% of Igbos does not live in Igboland, the remaining 50, 35% live in urban areas example, Enugu, Nsukka, Onitsha, Awka, Aba, Owerri, etc, those remaining 15% that lives in rural communities, mind you about 60% of the communities in Igboland does not even have waters safe for swimming by inexperienced swimmers,

So going by your calculation you are even saying less than 15% of Igbo population would have the privilege to become efficient swimmers, few rural communities can not be used as a measure for a people whose 50% of its population does not live in Igboland abd remaining 35% of the 50% that lives in Igboland lives in urban areas where trade and not farming or fishing is the priority, taking more people off the water zone.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:07pm On Nov 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

Check how much of our territory is water first.
We have more inland waters than any other nation in Nigeria but such phobia had impacted our utilisation of our maritime resources
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:08pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Ukwuani, Opobo, Bonny, a quater of Anambra, A quater of Imo, 1/4 of Abia, 1/4 of Anioma, 1/2 of Ikwerre, 1/2 of other Rivers Igbos, 1/10 of Benue Igbos, 1/10 of Enugu, 1/10 of Ebonyi, does that look like a potential good swimming score
Oga, anybody that doesn't know how to swim did not grow up in Igboland.
Or was locked up at their flat during his childhood.

So what you wrote above are total fallacy.
Which one is 1/4 of Anambra?
How do they farm if I may ask you?

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by SlayerForever: 12:08pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

We have more inland waters than any other nation in Nigeria but such phobia had impacted our utilisation of our maritime resources

You don't know what you're talking.

What do the riverine tribes do with water that we don't.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by 2elliot: 12:08pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Story, story.... Story. Once upon a time?

Biafra never lost anybody to an imaginary people that drowned them.

Biafra actually used water to buy tike during the war like at Obubrah sector, Abonema etc because Nigerian troops can't cross. The few that managed to cross with the help of Adaka Boro strangled him at Okirika buying the troops more time.
Adaka Boro himself doesn't know much about Igbo hinterland waterways. He is only conversant with that along the oil rivers and when his services were no longer needed after Okirika, he was disposed by Adekunle.

Like I told you, the Biafran war is like looking at my palm
Are you on ice, bro?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:09pm On Nov 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

WTF is that dude talking about?

Where do they tap the palm wine he see people drinking? Or where do they farm those big new yam he see us celebrate.

Mr AlexBells answer these questions.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:10pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Oga, anybody that doesn't know how to swim did not grow up in Igboland.
Or was locked up at their flat during his childhood.

So what you wrote above are total fallacy.
Which one is 1/4 of Anambra?
How do they farm if I may ask you?
I didn't know that Anambra people now need to pass swimming class before they can farm, lol, ofcourse you know most Igbo children of the millennium was bread up in flats with padlock to it
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:10pm On Nov 24, 2021
2elliot:
Are you on ice, bro?
Only someone that believes soldiers will ask women to ferry them is on ice.

Oh I forgot you are from where they greet with shots of Ogogoro.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

WTF is that dude talking about?

Where do they tap the palm wine he see people drinking? Or where do they farm those big new yam he see us celebrate.

Mr AlexBells answer these questions.
Bekkay, na that palm wine you don drink this morning lol, so you need to swim before you tap palm wine or before you farm lol, besides is it not rural dwellers that tap palm wine and farm?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:14pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I didn't know that Anambra people now need to pass swimming class before they can farm, lol, ofcourse you know most Igbo children of the millennium was bread up in flats with padlock to it
So you don't know that where people in an Igbo community farm is close to the water and you must know how to swim to do so.

Where they wash Ukwa is at the stream.
Where they tap palm wine is at the riverine part of the community.
Same with those that wash bitter leaf etc.

Honestly, the more you speak, the more you make it obvious that you don't have first hand knowledge of how things are in Igboland. More like someone that gets his knowledge from the Internet.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:15pm On Nov 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

What do the riverine tribes do with water that we don't.
It is not what they are doing that we are not, it is what we can do and should be doing that we are not, besides do you know that fishing is loads of money but hardly do do you see any Igbo going deep sea fishing, there loads of things we can do, if we take our maritime resources seriously, Akwaibom has a boat building company, I know Innoson can include boats building if the demand is there but no demand and our inland waters are moribund
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by 2elliot: 12:16pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Only someone that believes soldiers will ask women to ferry them is on ice.

Oh I forgot you are from where they greet with shots of Ogogoro.
I don't want to have issues with you, bro. I will be getting married to one of your sisters next year. So I don't want her to tell her people to increase her bride price because of you.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 12:16pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I don't understand, did they do it to be applauded or it was a mere coincidence, I'm talking about phobia not what is right or wrong, I wonder why same applause is not seen when it gets to building houses near roads and Igboland starts and end in Nnewi
what has my been from Nnewi got to do with anything.. I keep mentioning ur unintelligence...

You want River edges to be built up. What happens when there is flood?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:16pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Bekkay, na that palm wine you don drink this morning lol, so you need to swim before you tap palm wine or before you farm lol, besides is it not rural dwellers that tap palm wine and farm?
Palm wine is tapped in the riverine part of the community after which the diochi brings it out to the land on a canoe to the buyers.

They don't buy fresh palm wine (nkwụ enu) from the diochi on land but on canoe.
This is a basic Igbo stuff any Igbo man knows.

I believe SlayerForever and Co knows that
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:17pm On Nov 24, 2021
2elliot:
I don't want to have issues with you, bro. I will be getting married to one of your sisters next year. So I don't want her to tell her people to increase her bride price because of you.
Nkọgheri. Bride price that you will continue to pay until she dies.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 12:18pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Majority of those people you mentioned does not live in rural communities, in fact 50% of Igbos does not live in Igboland, the remaining 50, 35% live in urban areas example, Enugu, Nsukka, Onitsha, Awka, Aba, Owerri, etc, those remaining 15% that lives in rural communities, mind you about 60% of the communities in Igboland does not even have waters safe for swimming by inexperienced swimmers,

So going by your calculation you are even saying less than 15% of Igbo population would have the privilege to become efficient swimmers, few rural communities can not be used as a measure for a people whose 50% of its population does not live in Igboland abd remaining 35% of the 50% that lives in Igboland lives in urban areas where trade and not farming or fishing is the priority, taking more people off the water zone.

This guy keep pulling out stats from his asssss..

You are beginning to sound like a clown

Ike gi agwugom....
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:20pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

So you don't know that where people in an Igbo community farm is close to the water and you must know how to swim to do so.

Where they wash Ukwa is at the stream.
Where they tap palm wine is at the riverine part of the community.
Same with those that wash bitter leaf etc.

Honestly, the more you speak, the more you make it obvious that you don't have first hand knowledge of how things are in Igboland. More like someone that gets his knowledge from the Internet.
Are you not saying that this is peculiar to certain communities as opposed to majority, butterleaf, Ukwa and palm wine, is this what you regards as requiring swimming knowledge, guys just stop being a commedian, butterleaf that they should stay at the bank of the stream sef and wash, lol palmtree do they need to step in the water to tap it, these things are secondary to the water even the Ukwa does not grow in the water, and people who lives 10 miles away from the river would wait for the river before doing all of that, but if they were more of fisherman, it a different ball game
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by 2elliot: 12:21pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Nkọgheri. Bride price that you will continue to pay until she dies.
As far as dem no increase am because of fighting their nwanfor, I am okay with it.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by SlayerForever: 12:21pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

It is not what they are doing that we are not, it is what we can do and should be doing that we are not, besides do you know that fishing is loads of money but hardly do do you see any Igbo going deep sea fishing, there loads of things we can do, if we take our maritime resources seriously, Akwaibom has a boat building company, I know Innoson can include boats building if the demand is there but no demand and our inland waters are moribund

Okay you're saying Igboland doesn't do sea fishing which is highly profitable. Yes sea fishing is very very profitable but then you have to ask, how much of Igbo land is at sea. Then you ask how developed maritime is in this shithole.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 12:22pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I don't understand, did they do it to be applauded or it was a mere coincidence, I'm talking about phobia not what is right or wrong, I wonder why same applause is not seen when it gets to building houses near roads and Igboland starts and end in Nnewi
what has my been from Nnewi got to do with anything.. I keep mentioning ur unintelligence...

What about using for recreation.. Farming... Nnaa we. To even think u had a faint thought of having a political office.. You would have been worse than the current apc led FG
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:23pm On Nov 24, 2021
chiefobdk2:

Why are you worried about flood if you are not scared, if there is flood you swim na, those living in lekki nko, you are already giving yourself reason to avoid water, see question "what happens when there is flood?" Sounds like what someone who has water phobia would say, so when you build houses near the road, did you ask yourself what happens when there is accidents
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:26pm On Nov 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

Okay you're saying Igboland doesn't do sea fishing which is highly profitable. Yes sea fishing is very very profitable but then you have to ask, how much of Igbo land is at sea. Then you ask how developed maritime is in this shithole.

Do you need to stay directly in the sea to fish in the sea?, is the sea not territorial waters of Nigeria?, if there is required licences for sea fishing you get it, set your boat or fishing ship in Imo river, Niger etc and head into the sea/ocean and fish did you hear that anyone will stop you or did you hear that AlaIgbo is landlocked, the sea and ocean is open to you, why not go there and fish for a start if you have the courage
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Are you not saying that this is peculiar to certain communities as opposed to majority, butterleaf, Ukwa and palm wine, is this what you regards as requiring swimming knowledge, guys just stop being a commedian, butterleaf that they should stay at the bank of the stream sef and wash, lol palmtree do they need to step in the water to tap it, these things are secondary to the water even the Ukwa does not grow in the water, and people who lives 10 miles away from the river would wait for the river before doing all of that, but if they were more of fisherman, it a different ball game
Like I told you, the more you speak, the more it shows that you don't have first hand experience of Igboland.

Answer these few questions before we proceed. It is basic igbo stuff and if you can't get it then I have no reason to engage you further.

1. Ukwa:
i. How do you know a ripe ukwa?
ii. How do they wash ukwa

2. Palm wine:
i. Which time does diochi (palm wine tapper) goes to tap wine
ii. Where do they do it, if it is for commercial quantity.

Any full blooded Igbo man can lick these questions like sweet because no community can say that they are not conversant with both.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 24, 2021
This should be the one of the most dumbest thread .....i don’t blame the op,its the the people that engaged the op that really need psychological evaluation ...freely engaging a clearly mental patient

2 Likes

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:32pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Why are you worried about flood if you are not scared, if there is flood you swim na, those living in lekki nko, you are already giving yourself reason to avoid water, see question "what happens when there is flood?" Sounds like what someone who has water phobia would say, so when you build houses near the road, did you ask yourself what happens when there is accidents
You swim in flood?

Chai, kedu ebe onye nka si?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

You swim in flood?

Chai, kedu ebe onye nka si?
Nwokem patuo biko, why are anticipating a flood, so have Japanese left Japan because there is earthquakes, can't you see that is the phobia that is making us see all the bad side of water first,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 12:35pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I just hope you read the things you type or have someone show you an intelligent or half intelligent fellow to read all you have been typing and explain to you that the more you type the more you ridiculous you appear...

You have such a messed up thought process and logic. You should not be thinking at all.. I

How could any sane human have u making decisions and expect any outcome...
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Nwokem patuo biko, why are anticipating a flood, so have Japanese left Japan because there is earthquakes, can't you see that is the phobia that is making us see all the bad side of water first,
Sorry for disturbing you.

Before we proceed on anything Igbo again, answer those four questions.
They are basics. All these people you are arguing with know the answer because they are sons of the soil.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by JavaScript90: 12:39pm On Nov 24, 2021
Alex what you are saying is very myopic. Most communities in igboland have swimmable water bodies. In oguta lga only izombe does not have 'swimmable' water body. The rest of the 35+ communities that make up the local government have left large water bodies. Like wise ohaji/egbema LGA. All egbema communities have water bodies. In fact, most communities in igboland have water bodies and swimming is a NORM. Maybe you come from enugu because it is the only State in igboland that I can't associate with Rivers
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Ogbuefi2020: 12:41pm On Nov 24, 2021
Igbos hated water since ancient times. Igala and Nupe controlled river niger deep into igboland. Onitsha was an igala fishing camp, obosi and others who owned the place live far from the shore. Igalas transported onitsha and oguta from Illah. if you check the map you will see that asaba is some distance away from the niger. If you live near water in igboland you will earn a derogatory name "mbammiri". Apart from water with it's magroves, we also hate the Savannah vegetation. The natural habitat of the igbos is the Rain Forest which is where palm tree flourish. Our main occupation is gathering and processing Forest products, we were not into fishing or cultivation of arable lands
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:43pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Like I told you, the more you speak, the more it shows that you don't have first hand experience of Igboland.

Answer these few questions before we proceed. It is basic igbo stuff and if you can't get it then I have no reason to engage you further.

1. Ukwa:
i. How do you know a ripe ukwa?
ii. How do they wash ukwa

2. Palm wine:
i. Which time does diochi (palm wine tapper) goes to tap wine
ii. Where do they do it, if it is for commercial quantity.

Any full blooded Igbo man can lick these questions like sweet because no community can say that they are not conversant with both.
First of all, I'm from Ezikoba and Ukwa is not something we are quite conversant with, however we have the best palm wine in the whole world ask anybody, about Nkwuocha Enugu Ezike,

Then coming to the season, in Ezikoba palm wine tapping is more lucrative than crude oil, so every season is to it but most likely during dry season is when you get the best quality becuase the rain had stopped also there is the other palm wine we call Ekpo while most other part of Igboland call it Ngwo, Ekpo is first fell, apparently it is of low grade compared to Nkwuenu (up wine),

I'm not into wine tapping stuff as even when I do spend sometimes at home, I'm more of the city dweller and I wasn't even allowed to climb anything but most young guys are much into the palm wine tapping and then farming but it is just like saying majority of the young people in Ezikoba are up wine tapas that's a lie, only few can climb that thing cause most people are scared of taking that risk and those few are people born and raised at home.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Disgraceful Photo Of Tinubu Sleeping At The Palace Of Gombe Emir- Full Pics / Why Do South East Have Only 5 States? / What Is The Full Meaning Of APC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.