Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,951 members, 7,835,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) (6329 Views)

Bukola Saraki Drinks 7 Litres Of Water Daily / Adamawa Youths Wash Off Buhari's Footsteps With Truck Of Water, Burn Brooms / "See How Scared APC Are At Borno Rally, Fear Of 'Defeated' Boko Haram"- Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 5:22pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

LOL.
You are very funny.

Ijaw land has always been part of Eastern region before the war so where did the training happen when the war was a sudden event?
You didn't ask yourself that did you?

After the Capture of Port Harcourt the Ijaws were super helpful

The Ijaw Swimmers and Canoe men Led the Federal Forces across all the Major Rivers including Azumini
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:22pm On Nov 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
When I told you some Nigerian Navy personnel can't swim, you said "Most can Swim" . That's your reply in bold
I thought I was talking with a sensible person but I just realised that if there's ever a fools paradise, you live in one, what reliable statistics do you even have to prove that most can't swim
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Mtchewww

We dey talk Nigeria Navy you dey talk another thing.

You don't need to know how to swim before you can join the US or Canadian Navy. Knowing how to swim nah personal thing
Did I mention the US or Canada but I'm sure that you need to be a swimmer before joining the Royal Navy (UK)
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by paramakina202: 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

How well do you know Onitsha?

This is urban development.The natives are far from the shore line.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2021
christistruth01:

After the Capture of Port Harcourt

The Ijaw Swimmers and Canoe men Led the Federal Forces across all the Major Rivers
Adaka Boro was killed immediately the first take over after which Biafran troops led an Ibibio teenager held Nigeria at PortHarcourt for weeks before Major Onwuatuegwu took over. After many stallings, Achuzie was sent to continue from where Onwuatuegwu stopped after he successfully defeated and disgraced Major Murtala Mohammed and the Soviets at Onitsha.

I told you the war was like looking at my palm
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:27pm On Nov 24, 2021
paramakina202:

This is urban development.The natives are far from the shore line.
And they come to farm at Mgba odumodu on aeroplane?
See your life?

Accept defeat my friend. Next time don't talk out of mere assumptions
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:28pm On Nov 24, 2021
ThickSharon123:

We are saying the same thing, so which Ijaw or water side people have you seen swimming on the broad ocean. Even the Singapore's or islands near the ocean don't even know how to swim on the large ocean, or the British Isles people, why is Igbo an exception.

In Calabar self, I haven't seen a fisherman swim in the ocean, River, yes, but ocean, chineee skirt!!! Which one is that? grin
Swimming or sailing lol, unless your boat capsized you don't need to swim the ocean but I'm telling you, why would someone swim the high sea naturally, I'm saying perhaps people are confident to paddle their canoe in the ocean, let's say from Onitsha to Bonny, for real I don't think many Igbo can do that in the present day
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 5:29pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

You should limit your pride to yourself and once I observed something I state it, so you even acknowledge that some Igbo soldiers were drawn by Ijaw boat operators yet you are pretentious and ignorant enough not to see that thats a concern,

Are Igbos some desert dwellers or a nation of the Niger Delta and Atlantic?, abeg I have no pride to protect here and it is only fools that questions someone's identity just for stating an obvious reality which you even attested to, if the soldiers among us can't swim, I guess it is the market women that should, pride mixed with ignorance is the worst disease.
You're very foolish to have generalised such a common disability among ndigbo specifically. From your writing, one will think Ndigbo don't have water bodies around them. One would think we don't have plenty of swimmers of the many rivers that transverse Igboland. The great River Niger passed through Igboland with many Igbo communities on both sides. The Imo and Orashi rivers are there with many people swimming them. Our people at Aboh and Opobo have a history of having boat regattas which enabled them commandeer a lot of trade on both rivers. How then can you make such bad generalization?

2 Likes

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:31pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

In summary, "You don't know shit"

Excuse my French
Well if by your own assumption you are certain about who knows and who knows not then feel yourself, it is your right just that you are entitled to your opinion and so does everyone else
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 5:31pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Adaka Boro was killed immediately the first take over after which Biafran troops led an Ibibio teenager held Nigeria at PortHarcourt for weeks before Major Onwuatuegwu took over. After many stallings, Achuzie was sent to continue from where Onwuatuegwu stopped after he successfully defeated and disgraced Major Murtala Mohammed and the Soviets at Onitsha.

I told you the war was like looking at my palm

Ojukwu lied to you that wasn't what happened

Adaka Boro was not the Only Ijaw there was a whole Battalion of Ijaw Swimmers and Canoe men helping the Federal Forces to spy on Biafran Soldiers and helping the Federal Forces across the Rives
when Boro died his deputy took over
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by ThickSharon123(f): 5:32pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Swimming or sailing lol, unless your boat capsized you don't need to swim the ocean but I'm telling you, why would someone swim the high sea naturally, I'm saying perhaps people are confident to paddle their canoe in the ocean, let's say from Onitsha to Bonny, for real I don't think many Igbo can do that in the present day

And who told you so dear? Don't underestimate Igbo people, greatness is in the blood of all of them. Don't be shocked if you see a layman doing it better than the waterside people. We have many of them on Igbo land.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by paramakina202: 5:32pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

And they come to farm at Mgba odumodu on aeroplane?
See your life?

Accept defeat my friend. Next time don't talk out of mere assumptions

I didn't know we are engaged in a competiton or fight that a winner must emerge grin.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:32pm On Nov 24, 2021
christistruth01:

Ojukwu lied to you that wasn't what happened

Adaka Boro was not the Only Ijaw there was a whole Battalion of Ijaw Swimmers and Canoe men helping the Federal Forces when Boro died his deputy took over
Adekunle strangled Adaka Boro and the rest disappeared

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 5:35pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Adekunle strangled Adaka Boro and the rest disappeared

LIAR !!!!

Adaka Boro was killed by a biafran soldier at Okrika

Truth is Light

Gen Alabi isama was the one who saved the Life of the biafran soldier that killed boro after he was Captured

Many Federal soldier's were ready to Finish him off immediately despite him being a Prisoner of War

Alabi isama had to send the biafran soldier who killed adaka boro to be detained in Lagos for his own safety
He would not have Survived detention by the Federal 3MCDO troops in the East

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:35pm On Nov 24, 2021
paramakina202:

I didn't know we are engaged in a competiton or fight that a winner must emerge grin.
Na today you know?
There must always be a winner and loser in anything.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:37pm On Nov 24, 2021
Fejoku:

You're very foolish to have generalised such a common disability among ndigbo specifically. From your writing, one will think Ndigbo don't have water bodies around them. One would think we don't have plenty of swimmers of the many rivers that transverse Igboland. The great River Niger passed through Igboland with many Igbo communities on both sides. The Imo and Orashi rivers are there with many people swimming them. Our people at Aboh and Opobo have a history of having boat regattas which enabled them commandeer a lot of trade on both rivers. How then can you make such bad generalization?
I think you learnt a few new swear words that's why it is feeling in your head that calling someone a fool absolves you from being one. I'm looking at percentage, and given that the Igbos have the highest inland waters than any other nation in Nigeria, I can categorically tell you that the Igbos are under using our maritime resources and talent owing to a mass phobia, note, mass does not mean generalisation, mass does not mean everyone
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I thought I was talking with a sensible person but I just realised that if there's ever a fools paradise, you live in one, what reliable statistics do you even have to prove that most can't swim
You're sick boy.

Where is the stats that made you arrive at your post too f00l?

I've been to Navy town, almost all the personnel have speak to can't swim fool.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2021
christistruth01:

LIAR !!!!

adaka boro was killed by a biafran soldier at Okrika

Truth is Light

Gen Alabi isama was the one who saved the Life of the biafran soldier that killed boro after he was Captured

Many Federal soldier's were ready to Finish him off immediately despite him being a Prisoner of War

Alabi isama had to send the biafran soldier who killed adaka boro to be detained in Lagos for his own safety
He would not have Survived detention by the Federal 3MCDO troops in the East
LOL. I doubt you are up to 23 years old.

Quick question,
How many prisoners of war did Nigeria release after the war?

This will help you to know that your Soldiers are bunch of murderers. So your lie doesn't fit in.

Secondly, Okirika was already in the hands of Nigeria days before Adaka Boro's death , so how did the Biafran soldier get in?
Was he a Ninja? Or Al Altair of Assassin creed?

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by paramakina202: 5:40pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Na today you know?
There must always be a winner and loser in anything.

There is no winner or loser in this debate but since you are desperate for accolade I hereby give it you.Congratulations!
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by DECLAN2015(m): 5:40pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:
Mr OP, with all due respect, this your post reeks of low research, personal idiocy and an attempt to override the igbo man's personality.

Prior to modern era, Ndigbo never did trade with one another by foot except for very close towns, this is the main reason Ndigbo never saw the need to use beasts of burden.

Even till date, Ndigbo still retain those routes. They trigger it whenever the need arises like during the war, Covid 19 lockdown, state curfews etc.

During the war, Igbo Refugees sailed to Gabon, Equatorial Guinea etc. For intra migration, refugees from extreme northern part of present day Ebonyi state sailed to safer places like Okija, beating Nigerian genocide soldiers.

During Covid 19, there was no serious breach of state curfews between SE states and igbo parts of SS because the police were mounted on the road not water.
During that Covid 19, nobody that knows the route well from Anambra, Enugu or Ebonyi will tell you that Checkpoints on land can stop him from reaching PortHarcourt, Uyo or Calabar.

Some of you will just wake up one day and start looking for ways to insult Ndigbo.

The picture below illustrates ancient Igbo trade routes. Look at it, none was by land
The second and third are Igbo towns near water

How did he insult igbo
He made an observation and instead of you to debunk it...which u did anyway u are committing fallacy....they hate us syndrome
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:42pm On Nov 24, 2021
DECLAN2015:

How did he insult igbo
He made an observation and instead of you to debunk it...which u did anyway u are committing fallacy....they hate us syndrome
Who is the "they?"
I dont think you read what you commented on.
Mpaakụ

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Either you don't understand the content or you see everything from the purview of some sort, I said Aquaphobia, it does not mean that we don't travel by water, but that majority are scared of waters and I had given you instances among my random friends who had made their phobia clear and at least 2 people responding to this post had attested to that,

Science doesn't take note of what we feel it is what it is, I expected you to challenge me to a swim in the River Niger since you are from Anambra and I can be available to witness it if the conditions are appropriate for me not some sailing statistics and routes.

A good numbers of Igbos are scared of large body of water, anything bigger than a river, and if you read also very well I made mention of a friend of mine who is in the navy, ofcourse he is Igbo just like everyone but he had overcome his phobia, I have other people who are sailors, I'm talking about a people being water friendly, that's not a typical Igboman
do not mind that other guy, we all, including him knows this deep down.
my maternal granpa and a few of his children 25 years ago were traveling to my home town for my paternal grand PA's funeral in my hometown in one of the riverrine towns.
old man got to the waterside intended to board speed boats and freaked out. it took alot to convince him to come and when he finally agreed, he refused to enter the speed boats because he could see the water and its overwhelming nature. he finally entered a market boat designed like a house with his children where you can't see the water at all but very slow. Man ended up arriving the community at midnight while we waited for him for over 9 hours.
After the burial and all, he swore to never near even a swimming pool, we thought it was all jokes, my paternal grandma died too, man and his family only sent their condolence from afar and only visited when we returned.
The majority of the Igbos dread water.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:53pm On Nov 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
You're sick boy.

Where is the stats that made you arrive at your post too f00l?

I've been to Navy town, almost all the personnel have speak to can't swim fool.
If you like be to navy universe, the only navy town you been to is the one in your head, been to navy town and so what, who are you to inquire after the navy's swimming efficiency, as an Admiral or what, I had been observing you make that stupid statement on the Nigerian navy and kept my cool yet you continued your foolishness,

Becuase you went to see your friends which by the kind information they share with you seem non disciplined you are here talking Bulshit, Nigerian Military has its flaws just like any other institution in the world but fools like you would talk trash just to score cheap points
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Ekealterego: 6:04pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

If you like be to navy universe, the only navy town you been to is the one in your head, been to navy town and so what, who are you to inquire after the navy's swimming efficiency, as an Admiral or what, I had been observing you make that stupid statement on the Nigerian navy and kept my cool yet you continued your foolishness,

Becuase you went to see your friends which by the kind information they share with you seem non disciplined you are here talking Bulshit, Nigerian Military has its flaws just like any other institution in the world but fools like you would talk trash just to score cheap points

It seems you are the only one with a different opinion and the only person opening useless threads devoid of commonsense.

100s of people have corrected you but you seem to be struggling from external influences one cannot be even explain.

Both Igbos and non-Igbos have corrected you, but you didn't even choose to learn from one.

What is the colour of your problem?

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 24, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Stop the lies, that isn't true, biko. Mr statistics grin. Me self as I'm big, I love the water and my mom's village is filled with all sorts of water bodies, and if you move on a hill in my area you can see the ocean at the far end. So all this is bunkers.
what is the name of the part of your area you move up a hill to see the ocean?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 6:10pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ekealterego:

It seems you are the only one with a different opinion and the only person opening useless threads devoid of commonsense.

100s of people have corrected you but you seem to be struggling from external influences one cannot be even explain.

Both Igbos and non-Igbos have corrected you, but you didn't even choose to learn from one.

What is the colour of your problem?
Corrected me on what, please respect yourself, I had given you my observations and you are saying things that is baseless, you had not counted anything intelligently rather you are spilling ego filled trash.

You don't try to say things that I'm certain about and expect me to accept whatever correction, keep messaging your ego, my observation is valid and nothing you say will change my view until I see real people who ate not just filled with egoism make contributions and please so many people had supported my views so keep your sermons to yourself, if your really think it invalid then there is no need arguing it becuase you are making a fool of yourself by doing so

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

If you like be to navy universe, the only navy town you been to is the one in your head, been to navy town and so what, who are you to inquire after the navy's swimming efficiency, as an Admiral or what, I had
You're daft.

I had to stop reading your dull after reading this dull statement up there from you.

So person no fit get friends wey dey in the military?

I will stop wasting my time on a daft thing like you.

Always creating foolish threads up and down Nairaland.

Been able to swim is not a requirement to join the Nigerian Navy, US Navy and Canadian Navy dull pig
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 6:23pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

LOL. I doubt you are up to 23 years old.

Quick question,
How many prisoners of war did Nigeria release after the war?

This will help you to know that your Soldiers are bunch of murderers. So your lie doesn't fit in.

Secondly, Okirika was already in the hands of Nigeria days before Adaka Boro's death , so how did the Biafran soldier get in?
Was he a Ninja? Or Al Altair of Assassin creed?

You don't have a Clue do you

It was Biafra that failed to release any Prisoners of War after the War because they had Slaughtered almost all of them

Apart from that the Federal Forces preferred to not keep Prisoners of War if they were absorbed into the Nigerian Army as Combatants who had changed sides and where now gladly fighting for one Nigeria

The Prisoners of War that were too dangerous to release were kept at Calabar and were all released after the War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocS6ZDJH47c

The Biafran Soldier that killed Boro was a Straggler that had been hiding in a building at Okrika

Now show us the Military Prisoners of War that Biafra released
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 6:29pm On Nov 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
You're daft.

I had to stop reading your dull after reading this dull statement up there from you.

Been able to swim is not a requirement to join the Nigerian Navy, US Navy and Canadian Navy dull pig
I don't want to engage you in this misinformation and deliberate attempt to smear, as at 2015 or so, swimming efficiency had been a compulsory part of the Nigerian navy but given corruption, many still scale that but know it that is a basic requirement for most navies.

I don't have to engage you abeg

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 6:34pm On Nov 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
You're daft.

Please stop spreading your foolishness and misinformation, and disgracing yourself online, you mention US and Canada with such confidence

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 6:41pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I think you learnt a few new swear words that's why it is feeling in your head that calling someone a fool absolves you from being one. I'm looking at percentage, and given that the Igbos have the highest inland waters than any other nation in Nigeria, I can categorically tell you that the Igbos are under using our maritime resources and talent owing to a mass phobia, note, mass does not mean generalisation, mass does not mean everyone
When you consciously make foolish statements, it behooves on me to call you out. Before making such particular accusations as facts, you should endeavour to back it up with verified studies to that effect. I'm even very lenient with you. You must mind how you engage in discussions about Ndigbo.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by ThickSharon123(f): 6:45pm On Nov 24, 2021
Anonymous15:
what is the name of the part of your area you move up a hill to see the ocean?

Ibom. There's a particular place you'll stand and you'll see the ocean.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

This Man Is Going To Be Atiku's Vice! / Tinubu Does Not Deserve The Treatment He Is Getting From Buhari – Shettima / Who Is The Most Popular Person In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.