Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) (6321 Views)

Bukola Saraki Drinks 7 Litres Of Water Daily / Adamawa Youths Wash Off Buhari's Footsteps With Truck Of Water, Burn Brooms / "See How Scared APC Are At Borno Rally, Fear Of 'Defeated' Boko Haram"- Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by ThickSharon123(f): 2:08pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Shey I don tell you that I'm Jubril El Rufai, why you still dey stress yourself lol, Nwafor Zukwanu ike biko, no be me and you go defend Igbo with pride still enter Bush, if I must defend AlaIgbo, it shall be for the truth if not for the truth then for humanity but once it is not the truth and nobody would get hurt, Ada/Nwokem, you are on your own lol
grin it isn't right Nna, where did you make your basis from? That Igbos are water phobic? That's absurd, if you read your write up in the first instance, it more or less sounded deragotory. How would a human being hate water in any way?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

, be sincere apart from the Igbos in the navy, can these Ogbaru community defend Entire
Not every Navy personnel can swim
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 2:12pm On Nov 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Not every Navy personnel can swim
Most can swim, and corruption is the event of the day in Nigeria, in most other countries, swimming is basic requirements for navy but in Nigeria anything can happen
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 2:41pm On Nov 24, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Sweetheart, Igbos do not have issues. We were brought into a system were cowardice, servitude and ridiculous obesiance was self-forced on us. This is why we are pro-igbo, becuase most idealogies from other tribes are either ancient or not accepted in the present state of the world. This is the reason for the Igbo renaissance.

That said, not to deviate from the subject, Igbos love to swim, infarct a great majority of us love the water.

I'm Ghanaian (Ashanti) but my lovely Igbo mum is from Arochukwu in Abia state. In the past when I came to the village for Christmas, the village kids would drag us to the river to while away the time, and you'll be seeing little kids swimming like submarine jets.

I for myself love the water, and the elders I saw there also love the water. Water is refreshing and it has been known for millennials. This is the reason the human body is made up of 70-80 percent water. So to say Igbos fear water becuase of what not, I'll say it's false. Igbos love the water in some respect, but avoided it becuase of certian issues it has at that time, and they'd also loved the dry land because of their dry crop products. Gbam!!!
Now you are talking, I did not say that Igbos hate water generally but that Igbos have phobia for large water bodies and there seem a Disinterest towards swimming on a greater majority and parents had passed down tales about how water gods and goddesses would take people yearly, you should know that this story is only applicable to deep waters so, there is going to be need for awakening, where we could engage in deep sea diving, submarines and real inland shipping both for peace and otherwise.

There's apparent phobia honestly, I don't think apart from the Igbos in Opobo, Bonny and other places that any of us mainlanders can brave the sea on a canoe, this lack of interest had impacted the economy of AlaIgbo, we don't even talk about fishing
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 2:44pm On Nov 24, 2021
ThickSharon123:

grin it isn't right Nna, where did you make your basis from? That Igbos are water phobic? That's absurd, if you read your write up in the first instance, it more or less sounded deragotory. How would a human being hate water in any way?
Aquaphobia in this regards does not imply that we are scared of water generally, we drink water, we bath with it, but deep waters especially sea and oceans, Igbos are not in the majority deep into it, what about deep sea fishing, it is very hard to find an Igbo deep sea fisherman
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 3:07pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Go back and read you post again.

As for this your new development, when did your two friends turn to the Igbo population?
It is only few, I mean very few that grew up in SE that will say that they don't know how to swim. what was the person doing with his childhood?

As for River Niger, my friend are you OK?
The biggest part of River Niger is in Ogbaru and they are known as water people. Nobody born in Ogbaru can say that he can't swim (fact).

This Ogbaru?
The OP is not Igbo. This thread is a very crafty means he wants to use in attacking Ndigbo.
No reasonable Igbo man will make such a foolish statement into a thread.
How on earth does a person generalize such stupid statement from online trolls? Does it mean Ndigbo don't have people living in the coastal areas and other waterbodies? This is to tell you his reason for this thread is cynical.
It is a fact that many Biafran soldiers drowned by the deliberate actions of ijaw boatmen. This has happened in many other wars in history. Most soldiers from lands without much water will drown in such situations. The population of Igbo heartland alone is by far more than that of both Bayelsa and Rivers state non-Igbo groups. So such happening shouldn't be used in defining Igbos in general.
The only point a sensible person will pick from this discussion is that any serious soldier must learn how to swim just in case he finds himself in a large body of water. A common element as water shouldn't waste a brave soldier who has surmounted so many other tougher odds.
No foolish person should be allowed to brand Ndigbo in general with his jaundiced perception.

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 3:17pm On Nov 24, 2021
Fejoku:

The OP is not Igbo. This thread is a very crafty means he wants to use in attacking Ndigbo.
How on earth does a person generalize such stupid statement from online trolls? Does it mean Ndigbo don't have people living in the coastal areas and other waterbodies? This is to tell you his reason for this thread is cynical.
It is a fact that many Biafran soldiers drowned by the deliberate actions of ijaw boatmen. This has happened in many other wars in history. Most soldiers from lands without much water will drown in such situations. The population of Igbo heartland alone is by far more than that of both Bayelsa and Rivers state non-Igbo groups. So such happening shouldn't be used in defining Igbos in general.
The only point a sensible person will pick from this discussion is that any serious soldier must learn how to swim just in case he finds himself in a large body of water. A common element as water shouldn't waste a brave soldier who has surmounted so many other tougher odds.
No foolish person should be allowed to brand Ndigbo in general with his jaundiced perception.
You should limit your pride to yourself and once I observed something I state it, so you even acknowledge that some Igbo soldiers were drawn by Ijaw boat operators yet you are pretentious and ignorant enough not to see that thats a concern,

Are Igbos some desert dwellers or a nation of the Niger Delta and Atlantic?, abeg I have no pride to protect here and it is only fools that questions someone's identity just for stating an obvious reality which you even attested to, if the soldiers among us can't swim, I guess it is the market women that should, pride mixed with ignorance is the worst disease.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Most can swim, and corruption is the event of the day in Nigeria, in most other countries, swimming is basic requirements for navy but in Nigeria anything can happen
Most can't swim guy.

I've been to Navy town in Lagos, most of the navy personnel can't swim.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 3:51pm On Nov 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Most can't swim guy.

I've been to Navy town in Lagos, most of the navy personnel can't swim.
Did you hear what I said, I said corruption is the real situation here, swimming under timing is one of the basic requirements for the Navy outside Nigeria,

I don't argue anything about Nigeria becuase anything can happen here, a country where a man would contest for woman leader is not the country you want to take serious but a navy personel and indeed the navy guys I know are quite good on the waters
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by izac82: 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:
As I venture deeper into unconventional politics, I had taken looks into maritime potentials but I had figured out that a greater majority of Igbos have Aquaphobia (Fear of Water).

I had always loved the waters which had always pushed me towards the waters, in fact in my country side home, since childhood when I used to enjoy the view from a hill near my house, I wished the hill had a spring of running water.

But sometimes in my early teens I almost drown one time, when I swam in a relatively deep pool, ever since then, I had taken off swimming, but lately, especially as we get on some minor verbal engagements with the Ijaws on nairaland and they keep calling Igbos and myself in particular stone, I had vowed to get efficient in swimming and get to where I need to.

I contacted a swimming coach in Enugu but a while ago, I was in Nsukka for a brief stay in the UNN, then I contacted one of my navy buddy to come put me through but two of my other friends would say they can't hit the pool, I called a girl friend of mine and she said she's not doing any swimming, it happened that my friends have fear of almost any body of water, okay to cut the long story short, we drank all night instead of swimming.

Meanwhile I noticed that other nationalities doesn't have this fear when we have way more water in AlaIgbo than most other nationalities, most of my Igala friends can swim including their women.

Now look at coastal towns like Onitsha, you would figure out that Igbos tend to live meters away from any body of water, denying Igbo cities that Mega coastal city feels, my question is, what could be the reason for mass Aquaphobia within a nationality.
You are so funny with your over generalization. I am from Ebonyi, and I can swim very well. We have a large body of water, bordering Afikpo and Cross Rivers. Most Ebonyians from the southern parts are good swimmers. Don't use your small circle of friends in hilly Enugu to summarize on Igbos. That is very wrong man.

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 3:58pm On Nov 24, 2021
izac82:

You are so funny with your over generalization. I am from Ebonyi, and I can swim very well. We have a large body of water, bordering Afikpo and Cross Rivers. Most Ebonyians from the southern parts are good swimmers. Don't use your small circle of friends in hilly Enugu to summarize on Igbos. That is very wrong man.
I'm not saying that Igbos in all can't swim, I'm saying that there was a deliberate move away from the oceans of which if we did not shy away from the oceans we could have occupied most part of the Coastlines of the Atlantic, I said about phobia not that we can't swim, let me ask you, have you ever thought on sailing on the oceans, well if you are not scared of the ocean then let me DM as I want us to hit Opobo by the grace of God, our population and available inland waters I would say that there is apparent fear of water on the majority

And again Enugu has massive water bodies especially Nsukka, I don't know if you had heard about Ogurugu River and Opi lake network, Nike Lake, Akwuke lake, Enugu get water but people have phobia seriously
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by izac82: 3:59pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

You should limit your pride to yourself and once I observed something I state it, so you even acknowledge that some Igbo soldiers were drawn by Ijaw boat operators yet you are pretentious and ignorant enough not to see that thats a concern,

Are Igbos some desert dwellers or a nation of the Niger Delta and Atlantic?, abeg I have no pride to protect here and it is only fools that questions someone's identity just for stating an obvious reality which you even attested to, if the soldiers among us can't swim, I guess it is the market women that should, pride mixed with ignorance is the worst disease.
I have observed you for long, as a guest on this forum, most of your posts and articles are so juvenile. You write like someone still learning the process of articulating issues and trends. I don't want to even delve into some of your articles that are subtle jabs on Igbos plus total divulsion of what should be discussed in-doors. My brother, please take a chill pill. You no dey try. I registered this account solely because of this your stupid thread

2 Likes

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by izac82: 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I'm not saying that Igbos in all can't swim, I'm saying that there was a deliberate move away from the oceans of which if we did not shy away from the oceans we could have occupied most part of the Coastlines of the Atlantic, I said about phobia not that we can't swim, let me ask you, have you ever thought on sailing on the oceans, well if you are not scared of the ocean then let me DM as I want us to hit Opobo by the grace of God, our population and available inland waters I would say that there is apparent fear of water on the majority
The Ndokis that straddled the coastal lines of Abia, Akwa Ibom and Rivers, are they not Igbos? If not for politics, Bonny is undisputedly an Ndoki extension into the Atlantic. Be guided man.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 4:04pm On Nov 24, 2021
izac82:

I have observed you for long, as a guest on this forum, most of your posts and articles are so juvenile. You write like someone still learning the process of articulating issues and trends. I don't want to even delve into some of your articles that are subtle jabs on Igbos plus total divulsion of what should be discussed in-doors. My brother, please take a chill pill. You no dey try. I registered this account solely because of this your stupid thread
Oh, that means I'm growing thanks for seeing me significant enough that you opened a whole thread for me, honestly I feel blessed today.

Honestly my post may feel so juvenile but at least it is innocent and not crafted to hide reality, your Utopia mindset does not exist and honestly, I maybe right after all, what's the population of your villagers in Ebonyi compared to the population of Igbos born in the North the thing is that some of you think that life revolves around your hamlet
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2021
izac82:

The Ndokis that straddled the coastal lines of Abia, Akwa Ibom and Rivers, are they not Igbos? If not for politics, Bonny is undisputedly an Ndoki extension into the Atlantic. Be guided man.
You are mentioning Bonny, and even if you add Opobo, those two towns are not up to 500K by population what percentage of ocer 45 million Igbos does 500K represent,

You people never argue with facts but feels, why are you counting Bonny yet they are disputed, why not count Nsukka, Anioma, Nkannu at least those ones are certified already,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 4:08pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:
As I venture deeper into unconventional politics, I had taken looks into maritime potentials but I had figured out that a greater majority of Igbos have Aquaphobia (Fear of Water).

I had always loved the waters which had always pushed me towards the waters, in fact in my country side home, since childhood when I used to enjoy the view from a hill near my house, I wished the hill had a spring of running water.

But sometimes in my early teens I almost drown one time, when I swam in a relatively deep pool, ever since then, I had taken off swimming, but lately, especially as we get on some minor verbal engagements with the Ijaws on nairaland and they keep calling Igbos and myself in particular stone, I had vowed to get efficient in swimming and get to where I need to.

I contacted a swimming coach in Enugu but a while ago, I was in Nsukka for a brief stay in the UNN, then I contacted one of my navy buddy to come put me through but two of my other friends would say they can't hit the pool, I called a girl friend of mine and she said she's not doing any swimming, it happened that my friends have fear of almost any body of water, okay to cut the long story short, we drank all night instead of swimming.

Meanwhile I noticed that other nationalities doesn't have this fear when we have way more water in AlaIgbo than most other nationalities, most of my Igala friends can swim including their women.

Now look at coastal towns like Onitsha, you would figure out that Igbos tend to live meters away from any body of water, denying Igbo cities that Mega coastal city feels, my question is, what could be the reason for mass Aquaphobia within a nationality.

Alexbells because you are are an Amateur farmer and farmers can only deal with the truth or else they will loose everyday I will be honest with you

Onitsha People and Azumini People who live next to Large Rivers are not afraid of Water and were even good Canoe men infact left to
themselves they would have reached the Coast and Claimed a Patch of it if they had been left to their own devices

The People of Arochukwu had an Economic Monopoly and Stranglehold on the Slave trade in Igboland which depended on their trade with the Coastal Tribes and they knew that the moment that the other Igbo tribes reached the Coast most likely that Monopoly would be broken so they devised a Fraud using the Ubini Shrine in order to put fear into them and to deceive the other Igbo Clans in order to prevent them from reaching the Coast

The Ubini Shrine was along the route that would have taken the Igbos to the Coast Easily

But then it Could also have been Gods design to prevent the other Igbo Tribes from engaging in the evil Slave Trade too thereby seriously depopulating Igboland

Bishop Ajayi Crowther wrote that some Onitsha Homesteads had no Pathways at all but only Canoes that they used to go and Come from their Huts along the Niger

Yes some Tribes have a great dread of the Sea because they think their idols live in it but Still it didn't stop inquisitive members of other Coastal Tribes from reaching it but for a whole Tribe to halt at just one days Journey to the Sea only means there is more to the matter than meets the eye

To put it Shortly it was the Love of Money of the Arochukwu Slave Merchants that prevented the Igbos from reaching the Coast
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by ThickSharon123(f): 4:15pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Now you are talking, I did not say that Igbos hate water generally but that Igbos have phobia for large water bodies and there seem a Disinterest towards swimming on a greater majority and parents had passed down tales about how water gods and goddesses would take people yearly, you should know that this story is only applicable to deep waters so, there is going to be need for awakening, where we could engage in deep sea diving, submarines and real inland shipping both for peace and otherwise.

There's apparent phobia honestly, I don't think apart from the Igbos in Opobo, Bonny and other places that any of us mainlanders can brave the sea on a canoe, this lack of interest had impacted the economy of AlaIgbo, we don't even talk about fishing

Even in Ijaws, which Ijaw or water side people can gracefully swim in water or the open ocean. Its only a few, just the same way as Igbos.

And when it comes to the Igbos, it isn't only a few, a great majority of us love the water. That's why when we come to Lagos, or Calabar, we love to buy houses near the ocean.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Even in Ijaws, which Ijaw or water side people can gracefully swim in water or the open ocean. Its only a few, just the same way as Igbos.

And when it comes to the Igbos, it isn't only a few, a great majority of us love the water. That's why when we come to Lagos, or Calabar, we love to buy houses near the ocean.
Do you know how many Igbos had died as a result of drowning especially in Lagos, this thing you guys are seeing it as a matter of ego, we are talking about life here,

Phobia does not mean hate, no one really hate water, we are talking about phobia (fear) and we are not talking about a cup of water, we are talking about sea/ocean and larger rivers, if you are talking about the Igbos in Opobo, I can understand those ones, they may not swim the ocean but at least they can sail it with their locally made boat,

I'm waiting for any Igbo who had paddled a canoe across our inland rivers, until no one had come out to disprove that then it means that there is serious fear of water, the fact is that this is not about being Igbo, I was born and raised in Igboland,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 4:49pm On Nov 24, 2021
paramakina202:

Are they not living far off from the shore of River Niger?
How many kilometers before you see settlements in both towns?
That main market you have been hearing of stops at the river.

Ndi mmadụ sef.
Ask questions, No. Just generalising up and down.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 4:51pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

First of all, I'm from Ezikoba and Ukwa is not something we are quite conversant with, however we have the best palm wine in the whole world ask anybody, about Nkwuocha Enugu Ezike,

Then coming to the season, in Ezikoba palm wine tapping is more lucrative than crude oil, so every season is to it but most likely during dry season is when you get the best quality becuase the rain had stopped also there is the other palm wine we call Ekpo while most other part of Igboland call it Ngwo, Ekpo is first fell, apparently it is of low grade compared to Nkwuenu (up wine),

I'm not into wine tapping stuff as even when I do spend sometimes at home, I'm more of the city dweller and I wasn't even allowed to climb anything but most young guys are much into the palm wine tapping and then farming but it is just like saying majority of the young people in Ezikoba are up wine tapas that's a lie, only few can climb that thing cause most people are scared of taking that risk and those few are people born and raised at home.
In summary, "You don't know shit"

Excuse my French
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by ThickSharon123(f): 4:51pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Do you know how many Igbos had died as a result of drowning especially in Lagos, this thing you guys are seeing it as a matter of ego, we are talking about life here,

Phobia does not mean hate, no one really hate water, we are talking about phobia (fear) and we are not talking about a cup of water, we are talking about sea/ocean and larger rivers, if you are talking about the Igbos in Opobo, I can understand those ones, they may not swim the ocean but at least they can sail it with their locally made boat,

I'm waiting for any Igbo who had paddled a canoe across our inland rivers, until no one had come out to disprove that then it means that there is serious fear of water, the fact is that this is not about being Igbo, I was born and raised in Igboland,

We are saying the same thing, so which Ijaw or water side people have you seen swimming on the broad ocean. Even the Singapore's or islands near the ocean don't even know how to swim on the large ocean, or the British Isles people, why is Igbo an exception.

In Calabar self, I haven't seen a fisherman swim in the ocean, River, yes, but ocean, chineee skirt!!! Which one is that? grin
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 4:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
Fejoku:

Nice write up but one thing I will like to correct here is the Biafran soldiers drowning. It is a mere made up story just like the story of Imaginary Igala military invading Igboland.
It never happened.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by paramakina202: 5:04pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

That main market you have been hearing of stops at the river.

Ndi mmadụ sef.
Ask questions, No. Just generalising up and down.

Is main market a living quarters?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:07pm On Nov 24, 2021
chiefobdk2:

Ose is littered from behind metallurgical institute onitsha.. Along the onitsha owerri Road.. Town's like oba akwuukwu, oraifite, ozubulu okija all have ose along this route.. Anytime I travel to Nnewi, I usually go to Ose oba.. I have forgotten the name of the Ose its behind one filling station after rojenny whr all those trucks park along the road.. That is where they sell undiluted ngwo.... After oba junction before idemili there is another Ose.. The entrance is at That spot where road safety stand... They sell nkwu enu. In this particular Ose..
You are a true son of the soil. Confirm Nwa Afọ, not those impostors that claim Anambra on Nairaland to be fooling themselves.
The name is Ose Ụmụagụ (one village in Oba because other villages have theirs) and the back of metallurgical where they do the actual tapping is called Ọgbọ mmanụ.
One can't say he knows Anambra very well without knowing where the best palm wine tappers live. Unlike other Igbo towns, palm wine tapping is the main occupation of Ndị Oba in the past. That is what they are known for.

It is their cultural heritage and I believe it will still be there like it was in the past.
I can never forget my experience watching those diochi return in their canoe with pots of wine ready for selling. People from far and wide always wait for them at the shores.

Na im this dude dey tell me say Ndigbo dey fear water.
Ndi ara, Ndi ara
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 5:09pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Nice write up but one thing I will like to correct here is the Biafran soldiers drowning. It is a mere made up story just like the story of Imaginary Igala military invading Igboland.
It never happened.

Go and read Gen Alabi Isama's book " Tragedy of Victioy" so many Biafran Soldiers drowned in the Azumini River that as a result of the Stench and to prevent disease breakout the Federal Forces decided to do everything to Capture the next set of Biafran Soldiers alive as Prisoners of War instead
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Did you hear what I said, I said corruption is the real situation here, swimming under timing is one of the basic requirements for the Navy outside Nigeria,

I don't argue anything about Nigeria becuase anything can happen here, a country where a man would contest for woman leader is not the country you want to take serious but a navy personel and indeed the navy guys I know are quite good on the waters
Mtchewww

We dey talk Nigeria Navy you dey talk another thing.

You don't need to know how to swim before you can join the US or Canadian Navy. Knowing how to swim nah personal thing
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Ekealterego: 5:11pm On Nov 24, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Sweetheart, Igbos do not have issues. We were brought into a system were cowardice, servitude and ridiculous obesiance was self-forced on us. This is why we are pro-igbo, becuase most idealogies from other tribes are either ancient or not accepted in the present state of the world. This is the reason for the Igbo renaissance.

That said, not to deviate from the subject, Igbos love to swim, infarct a great majority of us love the water.

I'm Ghanaian (Ashanti) but my lovely Igbo mum is from Arochukwu in Abia state. In the past when I came to the village for Christmas, the village kids would drag us to the river to while away the time, and you'll be seeing little kids swimming like submarine jets.

I for myself love the water, and the elders I saw there also love the water. Water is refreshing and it has been known for millennials. This is the reason the human body is made up of 70-80 percent water. So to say Igbos fear water becuase of what not, I'll say it's false. Igbos love the water in some respect, but avoided it becuase of certian issues it has at that time, and they'd also loved the dry land because of their dry crop products. Gbam!!!

Interesting, a lot of people from Arochukwu to Ohafia to Bende do business and have been successful over the years in Ghana, Benin and Togo. Many of them married Ghanaians but I didn't know it was common for the women too.

Yvonne Okoro's father is from around that area.

2 Likes

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

When I told you some Nigerian Navy personnel can't swim, you said "Most can Swim" . That's your reply in bold
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2021
paramakina202:

Is main market a living quarters?
How well do you know Onitsha?

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:16pm On Nov 24, 2021
christistruth01:

Go and read Gen Alabi Isama's book " Tragedy of Victioy" so many Biafran Soldiers drowned in the Azumini River that as a result of the Stench and to prevent disease breakout the Federal Forces decided to do everything to Capture the next set of Biafran Soldiers alive as Prisoners of War instead
Azumini is in Igbo territory, mainland sef.
So where does the Ijaw people drowning Igbo soldiers come from?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 5:17pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

Azumini is in Igbo territory, mainland sef.
So where does the Ijaw people drowning Igbo soldiers come from?

It was the Federal Forces that Chased them into the River

The Federal Forces were Trained by and had lots of Ijaw Swimmers who led the Crossings of big Rivers including Azumini
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Bkayyy: 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2021
christistruth01:

It was the Federal Forces that Chased them into the River

The Federal Forces were Trained by Ijaw Swimmers
LOL.
You are very funny.

Ijaw land has always been part of Eastern region before the war so where did the training happen when the war was a sudden event?
You didn't ask yourself that did you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rivers Monorail On Its Maiden Test Run. / President Buhari's Daughter Zahra Addresses Gov. Nasir El-rufai Wedding Rumour / How Did The Corrupt Millitary govts Managed To Build These National Assets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.