Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) (6320 Views)

Bukola Saraki Drinks 7 Litres Of Water Daily / Adamawa Youths Wash Off Buhari's Footsteps With Truck Of Water, Burn Brooms / "See How Scared APC Are At Borno Rally, Fear Of 'Defeated' Boko Haram"- Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 6:45pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

You are a true son of the soil. Confirm Nwa Afọ, not those impostors that claim Anambra on Nairaland to be fooling themselves.
The name is Ose Ụmụagụ (one village in Oba because other villages have theirs) and the back of metallurgical where they do the actual tapping is called Ọgbọ mmanụ.
One can't say he knows Anambra very well without knowing where the best palm wine tappers live. Unlike other Igbo towns, palm wine tapping is the main occupation of Ndị Oba in the past. That is what they are known for.

It is their cultural heritage and I believe it will still be there like it was in the past.
I can never forget my experience watching those diochi return in their canoe with pots of wine ready for selling. People from far and wide always wait for them at the shores.

Na im this dude dey tell me say Ndigbo dey fear water.
Ndi ara, Ndi ara

I go there from Nnewi... It was a Sunday morning ritual for me... Because I avoid beer. And spirits
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 6:46pm On Nov 24, 2021
Fejoku:

When you consciously make foolish statements, it behooves on me to call you out. Before making such particular accusations as facts, you should endeavour to back it up with verified studies to that effect. I'm even very lenient with you. You must mind how you engage in discussions about Ndigbo.
The worst you can do is sit behind your keyboard and dish out swear words like a new parrot, what are you saying, did I say it a fact or observation, please if you can't even be sincere, I don't see the need in engaging you
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 6:47pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ogbuefi2020:

I didn't say that igbos didn't farm but farming was not the main occupation since forested areas with poor soil and dense population is unsuitable for farming. The main farming tribes in Nigeria live in the sparsely populated Savannah region. Igala, tiv, jukun, gwari etc

You are confused.. How can poor soil make forest? The forest means the soil is proper for agriculture

I will not engage two airheads in a post
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 6:55pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ekealterego:

This Is Ehugbo/Afikpo town and a big town for that matter and there is a massive beach developed there.

Secondly, What other city in Nigeria do you have highrise close to the water except for Lagos? Again, in terms of building development, there is a massive difference between building development by sea salt water ocean bordered water bodies and fresh water rivers.

The land is usually marshy and do not make for a great sites for building and it costs a lot because you will need more money for foundations and the houses will generally not last as long. Except if you use wood for the construction.

Secondly there is problem of road construction etc.

From an environmental POV, those marshes near rivers are great source of biodiversity. it is generally good to be left alone.
Note, I don't mean smaller streams or smaller rivers.

Again, I don't think you know how this works... People, allover the worl

The guy you are quoting is either too daft to understand all you said or he is trolling..
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 6:56pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Keep giving me all that scientific and civil engineering crap why people shouldn't live near waters, did your great grand father know about Bio diversify and all the advanced stuff you are saying, whatever the soil feature is, there is solution to it if people are really determined to live there, so however you put it, the situation up there is glaring that we would first give 1000 reason why we shouldn't live near waters than give one reason why we should and that looks like what mass phobia would do
imagine the person we are arguing wit
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 7:02pm On Nov 24, 2021
chiefobdk2:
imagine the person we are arguing wit
Please who are "we", you are only arguing for yourself, stop trying to whoop up emotions, we are talking about phobia, and not some construction lesson, Igboid gave a valid reason which had apparent understanding, he mentioned mosquitoes infestation but you telling me civil Engineering stuff when asked why our ancestors moved away from the atlantic especially and every other large water bodies is a show of mischief,

When Ibom ancestors settled near the oceans, they used civil Engineering?,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 7:08pm On Nov 24, 2021
Bkayyy:

LOL.
You are very funny.

Ijaw land has always been part of Eastern region before the war so where did the training happen when the war was a sudden event?
You didn't ask yourself that did you?
I don't know what this people smoke before coming online...
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 7:09pm On Nov 24, 2021
paramakina202:

This is urban development.The natives are far from the shore line.
are the people who live there not Igbos?

Shift d goal post again please
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by SlayerForever: 7:09pm On Nov 24, 2021
2elliot:
As a matter of urgency, every Igbo man must endeavour to learn how to swim. It was one of the factors that caused their defeat in the riverine areas around the Niger delta. Stories abound how Igbo soldiers were drown in their hundreds in my area by women and men they commanded to ferry them from one riverine community to another. In the middle of the journey, they will rock the boat and cause it to sink, as the soldiers drown, they will swim to safety. You may think swimming talents is not needed in wars in this age and time, but it could save one or two lives still.

That's an OVER EXAGGERATION.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 7:12pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ekealterego:

It seems you are the only one with a different opinion and the only person opening useless threads devoid of commonsense.

100s of people have corrected you but you seem to be struggling from external influences one cannot be even explain.

Both Igbos and non-Igbos have corrected you, but you didn't even choose to learn from one.

What is the colour of your problem?

How will his agenda fly if he accept he is wrong..
The guy is so unintelligent his argument is devoid of sense
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 7:15pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Please who are "we", you are only arguing for yourself, stop trying to whoop up emotions, we are talking about phobia, and not some construction lesson, Igboid gave a valid reason which had apparent understanding, he mentioned mosquitoes infestation but you telling me civil Engineering stuff when asked why our ancestors moved away from the atlantic especially and every other large water bodies is a show of mischief,

When Ibom ancestors settled near the oceans, they used civil Engineering?,
you re so dumb
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 7:17pm On Nov 24, 2021
chiefobdk2:
you re so dumb
I didn't expect anything more than a 4 word reply, you lack substance and constructive arguments,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Ekealterego: 7:19pm On Nov 24, 2021
chiefobdk2:

How will his agenda fly if he accept he is wrong..
The guy is so unintelligent his argument is devoid of sense

I think he takes meth before coming online. Most of his ramblings are usually detached from reality, outerwordly, imaginary and laden with drug induced emotions.

There are 100s of Igbo forums he can take his discussions to so he can learn but he chose Nairaland and doesn't even want to learn.

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 7:27pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ekealterego:

I think he takes meth before coming online. Most of his ramblings are usually detached from reality, outerwordly, imaginary and laden with drug induced emotions.

There are 100s of Igbo forums he can take his discussions to so he can learn but he chose Nairaland and doesn't even want to learn.
You think that by forming a foolish clique that I'm deterred by your charade, even the congregation of fools makes for compound stupidity,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by DitariDisciple2: 7:41pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Do you know how many Igbos had died as a result of drowning especially in Lagos, this thing you guys are seeing it as a matter of ego, we are talking about life here,

Phobia does not mean hate, no one really hate water, we are talking about phobia (fear) and we are not talking about a cup of water, we are talking about sea/ocean and larger rivers, if you are talking about the Igbos in Opobo, I can understand those ones, they may not swim the ocean but at least they can sail it with their locally made boat,

I'm waiting for any Igbo who had paddled a canoe across our inland rivers, until no one had come out to disprove that then it means that there is serious fear of water, the fact is that this is not about being Igbo, I was born and raised in Igboland,

Opobo are Ibani Ijaw people.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Opobo are Ibani Ijaw people.
Today is not Opobo abd Ubani day, tell me that once I learn swimming and arrive with my fleets especially in Opobo,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by zuchyblink(m): 8:16pm On Nov 24, 2021
In most parts of Igboland river is a deity that must be respected

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 8:35pm On Nov 24, 2021
zuchyblink:
In most parts of Igboland river is a deity that must be respected

Unfortunately it is the Same in Yorubaland

That is why many Sacrifices are placed beside, on top of and inside Rivers especially Rivers Osun,Ogun,Niger and the Atlantic Ocean

Some Rivers especially Osun have their own Cult of full time Traditional Priests

If you want to watch the full pagan Worship Theatre go to Bar Beach Lagos late in the evening but be very Careful so you don't end up as the Sacrifice because some desperate money hungry ritualists hang out there too

Christ Forbid
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 8:46pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Please stop spreading your foolishness and misinformation, and disgracing yourself online, you mention US and Canada with such confidence
You're so foolish guy.

Go check your first stupid comment wey I post.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by christistruth01: 9:05pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

I didn't expect anything more than a 4 word reply, you lack substance and constructive arguments,

The People of Aboh were also strong Canoe men

https://blog.ukpuru.org/2020/02/abo-canoe.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Ogbuefi2020: 9:58pm On Nov 24, 2021
Igboid:

You are dense.
Igbos didn't farm you said, so how did you think we fed our massive population?
You think you can feed millions on just fruits?

Igala, Tiv, Jukuns and gwari were Minorities for a reason.
They didn't have enough to feed their people.
Heavy population can only be sustained by food security.
Ndiigbo had that and the population balooned.
Lol, people traded. Like I said before, igalas and Nupe sold fish at onitsha, I am sure they bought palm oil and took to hausaland
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Ogbuefi2020: 10:00pm On Nov 24, 2021
christistruth01:

The People of Aboh were also strong Canoe men

https://blog.ukpuru.org/2020/02/abo-canoe.html?m=1
Aboh were part of Adon'idu clan who lived at Illah before Igala ferried them down south. Their naval expertise was developed through their interaction with igala and Ijaw

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 10:19pm On Nov 24, 2021
AlexBells:

you lack sense and ability to process articulate thought
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 24, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Ibom. There's a particular place you'll stand and you'll see the ocean.
ok
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 5:10am On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:

The worst you can do is sit behind your keyboard and dish out swear words like a new parrot, what are you saying, did I say it a fact or observation, please if you can't even be sincere, I don't see the need in engaging you
If that's what you think then continue. Don't say you weren't told.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:34am On Nov 25, 2021
Fejoku:

If that's what you think then continue. Don't say you weren't told.
Oga Abeg, I honestly don't have your time, if you are not smart enough to make your point without being insulting please do stay out of my mention, I apparently don't care whatsoever you think of yourself, I have no time for ignorant people filled with egoism, simply this is an observation which presented a question and you started with insult without presenting a fact to counter it, please even fools grow old, I don't know you and I don't think I care whatsoever,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 5:39am On Nov 25, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
You're so foolish guy.

Go check your first stupid comment wey I post.
After you had been busted with facts you resort to insult lol, I said most Nigerian navy personnel can swim, I still stand to be corrected, you said how you visited navy town and so you visited navy town and then your indiscipline friends told you most navy personnel can't swim, then it became a fact, please go back to school abeg, they way you were too Arrogant initially, I thought you researched your point not knowing you another empty fellow, I should have known sef, a leopard don't change its spots it's all over you, who you really are, slimy thing
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by KosiGee(m): 6:25am On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Learning to swim is not a matter of like and dislike, it a matter of life and anything else, even if you don't really fancy cold water bath, get to the pool in the day, start with your legs in the water and get a water proof hair tie, NOTE, don't get in the pool or any large body of water if you have no good swimmer around PLEASE

Your observations were wrong. Your friends choosing to go drinking with you instead of going swimming isn’t proof of your hypothesis and faulty conclusion.

You’ve had the urge to learn swimming and very eager to become a good swimmer…you can’t just assume Igbos have phobia for water because your friends weren’t so keen at that very moment you wanted to go swimming…no sane adult who isn’t very comfortable in water would jump inside a swimming pool just like that.

I have lots of friends who grew up around rivers and lakes and they are mostly good swimmers. People/locals tend to avoid lakes and rivers with dangerous animals living in them…eg, Agulu lake has crocodiles in them….you wouldn’t expect people risking their lives swimming in such body of water…but guess what, there are lots of Agulu people who expert swimmers, Nsugbe people are comfortable swimming same with every town with large expanse of water.

I watched a documentary on tv about some riverline community ‘dipping’ their babies in the rivers/sea as a part of traditional induction. I’m not sure of any Igbo community that does that.

I think swimming is best learnt as a child, if you miss such early orientation, it’d be hard to learn it as an adult when you have more challenges and responsibilities… except in your own case, you have the passion, access to a swimming and the means to pay for a swimming instructor.

Do your research well, Igbo communities with lakes and rivers don’t have phobia for water as you claimed.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 6:32am On Nov 25, 2021
Igboid:
But there are many riverine Igbo groups.
We call them the Oru/Olu.
The Ogbaru that live by the River Niger, the Oguta by Oguta lake, the Enuani and live along river Niger too.
The Ndokis live by the banks of Imo blue river.
The Omambala who live by Anambra river

All these Igbo clans had all developed riverine culture and are not scared of the River.

Part of the reason Ndiigbo avoided riverine terrain down south is that those Waters were mosquito infested those days and hence living there came with high infant mortality.
Igbos valued farm work, especially Yam cultivation, a man's wealth was measured by his yam barn. You need children growing into adulthood to provide you with labor to farm, living in riverine areas would mean you don't get much of your children growing into adulthood.

Look at the riverine areas of Igboland, they are the most most sparsely populated areas of Igboland.
In Anambra look at the Omambala areas in Anambra East, Anambra West and Ayamelum LGAs. They are very sparsely populated.
Same with Ogbaru areas, except the areas around Okpoko that has become part of Onitsha metro.
In Anioma, look at Ukwuani people who live in swampy lands, they are the least populated.

Look at Bayelsa population.
Very sparse.

Igbo ancestors avoided riverine areas because of the diseases and high infant mortality they brought.
Don't mind the foolish op who thinks he can just wake up and credit Ndigbo with aquaphobia. I can't imagine a human being thinking of such for a people that are not even desert dwelling. It has never been written for any group of people to suffer aquaphobia anywhere on earth because it simply doesn't make sense.
I knew he had an evil agenda immediately I saw the content of his thread.
Apart from the mosquitoes infestation problem, another probable reason is due to the geography of the coastal area directly below Igboland. It's filled with marshes and poor in agricultural production. That place was only appealing to people who had no other better place to stay. You should study the diversity of that place, you'll see my reasons. It has a lot of different languages compared to Ibibio in the SE and Ijaws in the SW of Igboland. You can find Igboid, Ibibiod, edoid, Ijoid tribes including other smaller languages termed the central delta tribes. Of all the groups in the area of discussion, only Ndigbo stretch far into the hinterland. The only exception here are the Ogonis. This strongly suggest Ndigbo as not being bullies. We left others to occupy/share our shores with us.
Below is a pix you can study for better understanding.

2 Likes

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 8:37am On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Oga Abeg, I honestly don't have your time, if you are not smart enough to make your point without being insulting please do stay out of my mention, I apparently don't care whatsoever you think of yourself, I have no time for ignorant people filled with egoism, simply this is an observation which presented a question and you started with insult without presenting a fact to counter it, please even fools grow old, I don't know you and I don't think I care whatsoever,
An ignorant dunce like you must desist from creating useless threads and attaching it to Ndigbo. I challenged you to bring out facts from reputable publications or journals to back up your claims but you're yet to do so. You don't put the cart before the horse. It is the other way round.
If this thread was midwifed by a sincere ignorance, it still doesn't take away the insult it suggests towards Ndigbo. I believe it isn't the case here. The format of your questions clearly shows you've concluded on that fallacy already irrespective of it having no solid basis whatsoever. Until you can back up your claims with a reputable publication, stop the useless threads.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by caprini1: 8:53am On Nov 25, 2021
chiefobdk2:

I go there from Nnewi... It was a Sunday morning ritual for me... Because I avoid beer. And spirits
Have you tried the palm wine from Eziniifite -orsu.?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Idafire: 9:53am On Nov 25, 2021
SlayerForever:

That's an OVER EXAGGERATION.

I have been following this thread and noticed that you have not made any meaningful contribution here.
This thread is about you n your phobia for water bodies as the OP stated, but you are here foaming in the mouth without any meaningful contribution.
Continue.....

I dey watch you cool cool shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yar'adua 'Unconscious' In Saudi Arabia: Fears Mount In Nigeria / PDP Primaries, Akpabio Suffers Defeat / This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.