Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,008 members, 7,835,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) (6334 Views)

Bukola Saraki Drinks 7 Litres Of Water Daily / Adamawa Youths Wash Off Buhari's Footsteps With Truck Of Water, Burn Brooms / "See How Scared APC Are At Borno Rally, Fear Of 'Defeated' Boko Haram"- Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Idafire: 9:57am On Nov 25, 2021
I can bet my two kidneys that majority of you ibos dragging the OP don't know how to swim.

But it's a faceless forum, you must claim to know.

The OP is right, my Ibo friends are very scared of water, they don't get close.

If you say ibos don't have fear, I believe the OP can arrange for all of you here to come forth and meet in a river of your chosen to know.

This isn't an insult, it's a fact, majority of you have phobia for large water bodies.

1 Like

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 10:07am On Nov 25, 2021
Fejoku:

An ignorant dunce like you must desist from creating useless threads and attaching it to Ndigbo. I challenged you to bring out facts from reputable publications or journals to back up your claims but you're yet to do so. You don't put the cart before the horse. It is the other way round.
If this thread was midwifed by a sincere ignorance, it still doesn't take away the insult it suggests towards Ndigbo. I believe it isn't the case here. The format of your questions clearly shows you've concluded on that fallacy already irrespective of it having no solid basis whatsoever. Until you can back up your claims with a reputable publication, stop the useless threads.
Why do you expect me to bring publications on personal observations which I clearly stated, no wonder you are so backward and lazy becuase you are incapable of making your own studies but rely on attacking others ignorantly, you expect me to present data, worked by who,

I expect you to try supporting the studies, please you are too foolish to defend Ndigbo whatsoever and you did not trademark the word "Ndigbo" so stop your apparent display of stupidity, you represent yourself and please it would do you good to either create your own thread or make your own observations, you don't need to display you foolishness on my thread.

If you are incapable of making logical contributions then stay out of my mentions, I don't have time to message foolish egoism, look who is defending Igbo, have you succeeded in defending your compound, fools always look at the mirror and see perfection.

Silence would make a fool pass as a wise man, keep your mouth shut, the fact the studies don't apply to you does not mean it does not apply to anyone, proud fools are such a dangerous thing.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 10:16am On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Why do you expect me to bring publications on personal observations which I clearly stated, no wonder you are so backward and lazy becuase you are incapable of making your own studies but rely on attacking others ignorantly, you expect me to present data, worked by who,

I expect you to try supporting the studies, please you are too foolish to defend Ndigbo whatsoever and you did not trademark the word "Ndigbo" so stop your apparent display of stupidity, you represent yourself and please it would do you good to either create your own thread or make your own observations, you don't need to display you foolishness on my thread.

If you are incapable of making logical contributions then stay out of my mentions, I don't have time to message foolish egoism, look who is defending Igbo, have you succeeded in defending your compound, fools always look at the mirror and see perfection.

Silence would make a fool pass as a wise man, keep your mouth shut, the fact the studies don't apply to you does not mean it does not apply to anyone, proud fools are such a dangerous thing.
I have passed my message across to you in the best way you will understand it. Now you know better to not write unsubstantiated mumbo-jumbos as facts when writing about Ndigbo.
You are being watched dan iska.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by SlayerForever: 10:56am On Nov 25, 2021
Idafire:

I have been following this thread and noticed that you have not made any meaningful contribution here.
This thread is about you n your phobia for water bodies as the OP stated, but you are here foaming in the mouth without any meaningful contribution.
Continue.....

I dey watch you cool cool shocked shocked

You're just a comedian my brother.

3 Likes

Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 11:06am On Nov 25, 2021
Fejoku:

I have passed my message across to you in the best way you will understand it. Now you know better to not write unsubstantiated mumbo-jumbos as facts when writing about Ndigbo.
You are being watched dan iska.
It is only a fool that ascribes an observation as a fact,
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Cinacci124: 11:14am On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:
As I venture deeper into unconventional politics, I had taken looks into maritime potentials but I had figured out that a greater majority of Igbos have Aquaphobia (Fear of Water).

I had always loved the waters which had always pushed me towards the waters, in fact in my country side home, since childhood when I used to enjoy the view from a hill near my house, I wished the hill had a spring of running water.

But sometimes in my early teens I almost drown one time, when I swam in a relatively deep pool, ever since then, I had taken off swimming, but lately, especially as we get on some minor verbal engagements with the Ijaws on nairaland and they keep calling Igbos and myself in particular stone, I had vowed to get efficient in swimming and get to where I need to.

I contacted a swimming coach in Enugu but a while ago, I was in Nsukka for a brief stay in the UNN, then I contacted one of my navy buddy to come put me through but two of my other friends would say they can't hit the pool, I called a girl friend of mine and she said she's not doing any swimming, it happened that my friends have fear of almost any body of water, okay to cut the long story short, we drank all night instead of swimming.

Meanwhile I noticed that other nationalities doesn't have this fear when we have way more water in AlaIgbo than most other nationalities, most of my Igala friends can swim including their women.

Now look at coastal towns like Onitsha, you would figure out that Igbos tend to live meters away from any body of water, denying Igbo cities that Mega coastal city feels, my question is, what could be the reason for mass Aquaphobia within a nationality.

Your research methodology and sample size are flawed. You are using opinions you generated from few people to generalized that a group of people with population of over 20 million are 'aquaphobic' (as you said).

Aquaphobia - is an irrational fear of water. Therefore, if Igbos are aquaphobic according to your submission, then you are implying that virtually Igbo people have an irrational fear of water simply because virtually they cannot swim. You are also suggesting that most Igbos are afraid of any form of contact or use of water, like taking a bath in a bathtub filled with water, traveling by seas, oceans e.t.c; walking under the rain and many other related examples.

It seems to me you are forgetting that swimming is a hobby. Therefore, it must not be by default that every Igbo person most posses such interest and skill.

I am sure, if we apply your analogy or the process that led you to your findings, we could deduce or agree that virtually Nigerians have aquaphobia because they cannot swim right?

Finally, everybody in Nigeria and on this earth has a degree of fear of water. Just because you can swim in a pool or a small body of water does not guarantee that you would survive in Atlantic Ocean, or a glass tank filled with water for example.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 11:14am On Nov 25, 2021
KosiGee:

Your observations were wrong. Your friends choosing to go drinking with you instead of going swimming isn’t proof of your hypothesis and faulty conclusion.

You’ve had the urge to learn swimming and very eager to become a good swimmer…you can’t just assume Igbos have phobia for water because your friends weren’t so keen at that very moment you wanted to go swimming…no sane adult who isn’t very comfortable in water would jump inside a swimming pool just like that.

I have lots of friends who grew up around rivers and lakes and they are mostly good swimmers. People/locals tend to avoid lakes and rivers with dangerous animals living in them…eg, Agulu lake has crocodiles in them….you wouldn’t expect people risking their lives swimming in such body of water…but guess what, there are lots of Agulu people who expert swimmers, Nsugbe people are comfortable swimming same with every town with large expanse of water.

I watched a documentary on tv about some riverline community ‘dipping’ their babies in the rivers/sea as a part of traditional induction. I’m not sure of any Igbo community that does that.

I think swimming is best learnt as a child, if you miss such early orientation, it’d be hard to learn it as an adult when you have more challenges and responsibilities… except in your own case, you have the passion, access to a swimming and the means to pay for a swimming instructor.

Do your research well, Igbo communities with lakes and rivers don’t have phobia for water as you claimed.
In the issue of observation, you don't approach it from that biased view of yours, you could say your observation is right to a certain degree or your observation is wrong up to a point, look the observation is taking account of a certain Geography (Igboland) now my friends are Igbo and they made it clear they have phobia for large water bodies which makes the observation positive

Then there are others who don't have phobia for large water bodies and I did not say all Igbos have phobia for large water bodies, this is a concern but if you chose to see it from the prism of being right or wrong that's not how science works, the people I took as specimens here are a sample, yes it is true that not all of the sample are taken into account but still the sample so far examined is holding positive, Mass does not mean majority neither does it mean all.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 11:21am On Nov 25, 2021
Cinacci124:

Your research methodology and sample size are flawed. You are using opinions you generated from few people to generalized that a group of people with population of over 20 million are 'aquaphobic' (as you said).

Aquaphobia - is an irrational fear of water. Therefore, if Igbos are aquaphobic according to your submission, then you are implying that virtually Igbo people have an irrational fear of water simply because virtually they cannot swim. You are also suggesting that most Igbos are afraid of any form of contact or use of water, like taking a bath in a bathtub filled with water, traveling by seas, oceans e.t.c; walking under the rain and many other related examples.

It seems to me you are forgetting that swimming is a hobby. Therefore, it must not be by default that every Igbo person most posses such interest and skill.

I am sure, if we apply your analogy or the process that led you to your findings, we could deduce or agree that virtually Nigerians have aquaphobia because they cannot swim right?

Finally, everybody in Nigeria and on this earth has a degree of fear of water. Just because you can swim in a pool or a small body of water does not guarantee that you would survive in Atlantic Ocean, or a glass tank filled with water for example.
Thanks for approaching from the angle of constructive argument but you are missing a point, I said "Mass" not majority this is the misunderstanding here, Igbos are around 45 million people, and if 1000 people have Aquaphobia, that's Mass, while it does not represent 0.05 of the population, we need to understand English and put ego aside.

There is mass Aquaphobia is different from there is majority Aquaphobia, a sickness that kills 1000 people would be regarded as a mass killing sickness but it is insignificant to the population of 45 million.

My specimen here we should assume are randomly selected people from different part of AlaIgbo and if 1 out of Every 100 Igbo have Aquaphobia that's massive,

Again unless you are being mischievous, you should know that by Aquaphobia, I don't mean the water in the cup or within safe deep, I mean deep and large water bodies of at least a river and most likely the ocean.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 11:47am On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:

It is only a fool that ascribes an observation as a fact,
Let anyone following my exchange with you draw the conclusion on who perfectly deserves being called a fool. Next time think very well before starting a thread about Ndigbo.
There's a big difference between these two questions.
1. Is there a mass aquaphobia among Igbos?
2. What could be the reason for the Igbo mass aquaphobia?
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 11:50am On Nov 25, 2021
[s]
AlexBells:

Thanks for approaching from the angle of constructive argument but you are missing a point, I said "Mass" not majority this is the misunderstanding here, Igbos are around 45 million people, and if 1000 people have Aquaphobia, that's Mass, while it does not represent 0.05 of the population, we need to understand English and put ego aside.

There is mass Aquaphobia is different from there is majority Aquaphobia, a sickness that kills 1000 people would be regarded as a mass killing sickness but it is insignificant to the population of 45 million.

My specimen here we should assume are randomly selected people from different part of AlaIgbo and if 1 out of Every 100 Igbo have Aquaphobia that's massive,

Again unless you are being mischievous, you should know that by Aquaphobia, I don't mean the water in the cup or within safe deep, I mean deep and large water bodies of at least a river and most likely the ocean.
[/s]
All your responses are trash. This thread deserves to be closed.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 11:58am On Nov 25, 2021
Fejoku:

Let anyone following my exchange with you draw the conclusion on who perfectly deserves being called a fool. Next time think very well before starting a thread about Ndigbo.
There's a big difference between these two questions.
1. Is there a mass aquaphobia among Igbos?
2. What could be the reason for the Igbo mass aquaphobia?
The thing about your people is that you start off with insult and think that once you try to intimidate anyone they go cold, actions and reactions would always be equal and opposite.

First of all, if you are ready for reasons then you ought to know that Mass means to a certain degree and size, look mass don't mean majority if that's what you think,

There is Mass Aquaphobia and you did not confirm the magnitude of my concern, if 1000 children are born blind within a certain year, that's massive but it does not even represent 1% of childbirth let's even assume that we use Igboland as a target for the studies.

The thing is that people are easily acting on Prejudice and poised to defend themselves give the trauma we had gone through as Igbos but everything is not about attacks and defending, this a real concern to me and I did not do it to discredit anyone,

If you would be real, at least 1 in every 1000 Igbo has Aquaphobia and I don't mean water in tablespoon or cup, I mean large body of water, one in every 1000 when looked at as a sample is quite massive for a people of over 45 million
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:02pm On Nov 25, 2021
Fejoku:
[s][/s]
All your responses are trash. This thread deserves to be closed.
Unfortunately you don't have such capacity to close it, and I still maintain my point and there are many who had argued in my favour and even those who argued in your favour just like you have no concrete arguments but emotion laden running of mouth.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 12:21pm On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:

The thing about your people is that you start off with insult and think that once you try to intimidate anyone they go cold, actions and reactions would always be equal and opposite.

First of all, if you are ready for reasons then you ought to know that Mass means to a certain degree and size, look mass don't mean majority if that's what you think,

There is Mass Aquaphobia and you did not confirm the magnitude of my concern, if 1000 children are born blind within a certain year, that's massive but it does not even represent 1% of childbirth let's even assume that we use Igboland as a target for the studies.

The thing is that people are easily acting on Prejudice and poised to defend themselves give the trauma we had gone through as Igbos but everything is not about attacks and defending, this a real concern to me and I did not do it to discredit anyone,

If you would be real, at least 1 in every 1000 Igbo has Aquaphobia and I don't mean water in tablespoon or cup, I mean large body of water, one in every 1000 when looked at as a sample is quite massive for a people of over 45 million
No matter how you twist your presentation, you will still fail because you started the thread on a wrong premise. The title of your thread is wrong and the content itself doesn't support anything unique enough to deserve a debate.
We can have a sample of 10 different tribes with similar geography as Igbos and compare the results of their ability to swim. I can say with all confidence that most of the respondents from areas with little water bodies will be the same. Those born around water bodies will mostly know how to swim. There environment warrants that they learn how to swim from childhood for survival. Others from drier lands don't see the need for learning how to swim. In the Igbo heartland, there are plenty of rivers and streams where many people both children and adults do swim. How do you expect those people to come online and find a useless person typing boldly that Ndigbo suffer from mass aquaphobia? Can you see how you sound?
My point is that ascribing aquaphobia to a people should be news worthy if their are exceptional things those people have in regards to water. For instance, falling sick at the sight of big water bodies or having no fishing profession among them despite being surrounded by water bodies. Things like this can qualify you to open such a thread and seek questions. You can't just hinge your few samples of non-swimmers stating their fears as a yardstick for describing a large nation.
Apologize to Ndigbo and take down this thoughtless thread unless like I suspect, there's another motive for it.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by Fejoku: 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Unfortunately you don't have such capacity to close it, and I still maintain my point and there are many who had argued in my favour and even those who argued in your favour just like you have no concrete arguments but emotion laden running of mouth.
I'm done with your already. It's a useless thread that doesn't deserve to stand because it lacks any solid base for discussion.
I'll be looking forward for any thread you start again. If it has a useless content, I'll bring it down with better argument. Let others be the judge.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:34pm On Nov 25, 2021
Fejoku:

No matter how you twist your presentation, you will still fail because you started the thread on a wrong premise. The title of your thread is wrong and the content itself doesn't support anything unique enough to deserve a debate.
We can have a sample of 10 different tribes with similar geography as Igbos and compare the results of their ability to swim. I can say with all confidence that most of the respondents from areas with little water bodies will be the same. Those born around water bodies will mostly know how to swim. There environment warrants that they learn how to swim from childhood for survival. Others from drier lands don't see the need for learning how to swim. In the Igbo heartland, there are plenty of rivers and streams where many people both children and adults do swim. How do you expect those people to come online and find a useless person typing boldly that Ndigbo suffer from mass aquaphobia? Can you see how you sound?
My point is that ascribing aquaphobia to a people should be news worthy if their are exceptional things those people have in regards to water. For instance, falling sick at the sight of big water bodies or having no fishing profession among them despite being surrounded by water bodies. Things like this can qualify you to open such a thread and seek questions. You can't just hinge your few samples of non-swimmers stating their fears as a yardstick for describing a large nation.
Apologize to Ndigbo and take down this thoughtless thread unless like I suspect, there's another motive for it.
First of all, I can categorically tell you that Igbos are not desert dwellers, in fact we are an Atlantic people, we live in the front of the Atlantic and if you consider other people with similar Geography with us then you should be thinking about the people of cross River.

The only potential newsworthy scenario is when someone drowns becuase apparently the media would only talk about what people care to hear and until someone like me began to look into issues like this no one had cared before.

Igboland has the highest inland waters in Nigeria and yet I don't know of any reputable boat building company in AlaIgbo yet they have Norfin offshore shipyard in Akwaibom building boats.

Deep sea fishing which is a multi billion naira industry is not a focus of Ndigbo while we have unlimited access to the sea especially leveraging Nigerias vast territorial waters.

The question I keep asking is, why do you lay much emphasis on publications, who are you waiting for to publish it, what happens to you why can't you publish it.

Again on your apologies to Igbos, I shall do no such thing becuase i have not insulted us and i will do and say anything to waken the Igbo spirit, see it as an insult, suite yourself as far as it get the right people to get hold of real concern then I'm good.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by AlexBells(m): 12:36pm On Nov 25, 2021
Fejoku:

I'm done with your already. It's a useless thread that doesn't deserve to stand because it lacks any solid base for discussion.
I'll be looking forward for any thread you start again. If it has a useless content, I'll bring it down with better argument. Let others be the judge.
I will formulate the hypothesis as regards this thread so know it that it is not even anywhere close to over becuase I will continue and advance in my politics and God willing swimming lesson could be compulsory in most public school if I have my way.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 6:16pm On Nov 25, 2021
caprini1:
Have you tried the palm wine from Eziniifite -orsu.?
no. I can't go all the way to ezinifite because of palm wine. My side in Nnewi.. I jog from my house in Nnewi up to afor Oba or merchant of light secondary school...
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by caprini1: 6:33pm On Nov 25, 2021
chiefobdk2:
no. I can't go all the way to ezinifite because of palm wine. My side in Nnewi.. I jog from my house in Nnewi up to afor Oba or merchant of light secondary school...
Adventure bro! Adventure!!....i am from Nnewi too .We use to drive all the way from Lagos to Ibadan to go eat Amala.
Re: What Could be the Reason for the Igbo Mass Aquaphobia (Fear Of Water) by chiefobdk2: 10:54pm On Nov 25, 2021
caprini1:
Adventure bro! Adventure!!....i am from Nnewi too .We use to drive all the way from Lagos to Ibadan to go eat Amala.

Isi na ibu onye Nnewi.. OK odi nma. Munwa bu onye uruagu.. Na uzo Ichi....

Nnewi South na atum egwu, ndi ahu na agwo ajo ogwu, ma enye ure. Ma pin,

I only go to Nnewi to witness masquerade festival,, sometimes I dey go find babe for odumengwu ojukwu poly..

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

List Of ASIWAJU BOLA TINUBU Haters. / I Will Be Hanging This Picture In My Office Come May 29 2023 / Likely Ministerial Nominees From Each State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.