Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,553 members, 7,837,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (55283 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Bkayyy: 4:32pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlayerForever:
Good conclusion.

I forward a hypothesis that during and after the civil war (1970s) Bonny and Opobo families were forced to take up Ijaw first names and family names to escape persecution. As well as clan and community names.

I have once read arguments from Opobians who claim their Ijaw names mean nothing in their language.
This is why I am asking for that Eastern Regions parliaments screenshot.
Alot of things need to be explained here.

Please Ekealterego, dig deep into your receipts and help us out with it.

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 4:40pm On Dec 02, 2021
GreatBoss:

As stupid as u are, I'm from Bonny.
What my father and grandfather told me is my history, not some useless Ibo on Nairaland.
All Ibani people are all Ijaws.
Go to hell and first stop calling fellow ibos outcast.
We don't have useless cultures like Ibo.
That have no regard and value for woman.

Lol, why are you so worked up and frustrated? Because your little landgrabbing fantasy has collapsed like a pack of badly arranged cards!

You think we don't know how you desperados have been operating by impersonating real aborigines? Any ijaw in Bonny is obviously a settler as have been proved beyond every reasonable doubt!

We Igbos have done our part by helping to create awareness to our Bonny and Opobo kits and kin about who they are. We know there are thousands of Bonny and Opobo natives who are educated and enlightened, they will definitely do more research and studies on their own!

It is not just the height of insult for foreigners to impose their language on aborigines and tell them to discard their mother tongue, spoken by their forefathers but also sacrilegious!

If the Abuas of Bayelsa that share slight similarities with you ijaws can muster the courage to come out boldly and tell the world that they are not Ijaws, is the proud people of Opobo and Bonny with rich history and absolutely nothing in common with Ijaws that won't do the needful?

Common, I can bet you it's just a matter of time before they stop all your criminal landgrabbing and assaults on their heritage.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 4:45pm On Dec 02, 2021
Biafrarep:

Lol, why are you so worked up and frustrated? Because your little landgrabbing fantasy has collapsed like a pack of badly arranged cards!

You think we don't know how you desperados have been operating by impersonating real aborigines? Any ijaw in Bonny is obviously a settler as have been proved beyond every reasonable doubt!

We Igbos have done our part by helping to create awareness to our Bonny and Opobo kits and kin about who they are. We know there are thousands of Bonny and Opobo natives who are educated and enlightened, they will definitely do more research and studies on their own!

It is not just the height of insult for foreigners to impose their language on aborigines and tell them to discard their mother tongue, spoken by their forefathers but also sacrilegious!

If the Abuas of Bayelsa that share slight similarities with you ijaws can muster the courage to come out boldly and tell the world that they are not Ijaws, is the proud people of Opobo and Bonny with rich history and absolutely nothing in common with Ijaws that won't do the needful?

Common, I can bet you it's just a matter of time before they stop all your criminal landgrabbing and assaults on their heritage.

35 page already, use that Strenght and travel come Bonny come meet us.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 4:45pm On Dec 02, 2021
Biafrarep:

35 pages already, use that Strenght and travel come Bonny come meet us.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 4:46pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

I could not find it. What are we looking at specifically?

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 4:47pm On Dec 02, 2021
Mazi Igboid i just saw an information on wikipedia that part of opobo is carved into akwa ibom how true is this?
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 4:50pm On Dec 02, 2021
bomb24:
Mazi Igboid i just saw an information on wikipedia that part of opobo is carved into akwa ibom how true is this?

See as u know nothing about the people you are claiming.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 4:55pm On Dec 02, 2021
bomb24:

Yes.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 4:55pm On Dec 02, 2021
GreatBoss:

See as u know nothing about the people you are claiming.

u're very untelligent and that's the reason u have been displaying your relegating Iq all over this thread. now swerve bayelsa creek rat!

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 4:58pm On Dec 02, 2021
bomb24:

Opobo used to be in same province with parts of Akwaibom in the old Eastern region.
The past of Opobo Kingdom in Akwaibom is Ikot Abasi.

Like we said, Opobo and most parts of riverine Rivers State of today were originally peopled by a people you can best describe as Ibibiod people.
They are still same people in Ogbia, Abuloma,Andoni, Ibeno, Eastern Obolo and Ikot Abasi of today. Jaja drove them off OPOBO to found the kingdom.
Ikot Abasi people are Ibibiod speakers, even though the Igbo imprints are obvious there.
For example you see places like Ikpa-Ibekwe there.
As the natives are non Igboid speakers now, I think we should let them be.

Opobo was ceded to Rivers State in 1970 I think, before then, Opobo kingdom, consisting of Opobo and Ikot Abasi was part of old South Eastern state(old Cross River) a bit further down the time line, they were in Calabar province of the Eastern region and not in Portharcourt province.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 4:58pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlayerForever:

Yes.

i have gotten my answer tnx nwanne.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 4:59pm On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

Opobo used to be in same province with parts of Akwaibom in the old Eastern region.
The past of Opobo in Akwaibom is Ikot Abasi.

Like we said, Opobo and most parts of riverine Rivers State of today were originally peopled by a people you can best describe as Ibibiod people.
They are still same people in Ogbia, Abuloma,Andoni, Ibeno, Eastern Obolo and Ikot Abasi of today.
Ikot Abasi people are Ibibiod speakers, even though the Igbo imprints are obvious there.
For example you see places like Ikot-Ibekwe there.
As the natives are non Igboid speakers now, I think we should let them be.

K tnx for this.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 5:02pm On Dec 02, 2021
For the benefit of those that don't know what we are talking about, can someone be kind enough to post some of those recent videos from Opobo where they were speaking the Ebane language.

Especially the one of one Portharcourt based pastor who was embarking on a charity mission in Opobo recently. Apostle Cookey.

I just found just found it, but I don't know how to link youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q22f9HXmw7Y

Guys, I just discovered a new Ebane word: Perekule
Usuage: I chooro I Perekule m?
Meaning: Do you want to deceive me?

cc
Slayerforever
Igboid
Ofoigbo
Eastlink
Ekealterego

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 5:06pm On Dec 02, 2021
RobbStark:

Future Ibo??
Why not present Ibo.

grin grin grin angry cheesy

Just to help you out. Please read the attachment

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2021
bomb24:

K tnx for this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikot-Abasi

You can read up on Ikot Abasi here.

The Ijaws had it so good in the immediate post civil war era.
Anything they wanted, the Hausa Fulanis granted them for their role in helping them defeat Biafra.
That was how Opobo moved from Akwaibom to old Rivers State controlled by Ijaws through boundary adjustment.
I bet this was part of their long term plan to claim the Island.
Because I think if Opobo remained in Akwaibom, we wouldn't be having all these argument about Opobo as those lots in Akwaibom are not land grabbers like the Izons.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 5:21pm On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

What document is this you shared?
Let me guess? Alagoa? grin

Well the discussion here is not about Nembe.
So I don't think any Igbo man really care what you Nembe people call yourselves.
That's you local issues to iron out with your Ijaw people.

I know that Nembe people naturally claim Edo origin and have lots of admixture with Aboh.
That document isn't from Baikie....
It is the preface of the Ibani dictionary... I know Kos I've used it myself during research

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 5:48pm On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

Yeah.
Nris were very widespread.
In many parts of Igbo land, even in deep Imo and Abia, places you can argue that Nris never held strong influence over, dwarves are still called "Akanshi".

I learnt this was because Nri priests welcomed and trained dwarves all over Igboland who were discriminated against and used them as their Messengers.

So in Igboland, dwarves became synonymous with Nri Messengers.

By the way, I am guessing our ancestors met some dwarve race in this rainforests when they arrived here? grin
I guess we breed with them and slowly replaced them.
Then the dwarve trait was eliminated by natural selection. grin

The Nri and the Umudiokas were responsible for Ichi marks, right?
The dwarves were part of the pygmy race that inhabited the forests of central Afrịka from the Niger down to the Kongo river.
The Igbo name, àkà is a derivative of their own name, Baka which they answer till this day

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 5:48pm On Dec 02, 2021
9Pluto:

Please, do not mislead people here. No neutral account so far has linked the ijaw directly with ibani unless they can prove ijaw was Brass.
I find it hard to understand how or why it was so difficult for explorers to identify or mention the ijaw people in Bonny despite the fact that they could vividly identify their character traits.

That post you put up is obviously an academic write up from someone else and not Baike.

To further buttress your lies as an exercise in futility, why is there current attempts to change ibani people's current language to that thing you posted there.

Fully reference the book you quoted, the author, the title and date of the publication so real academics can make necessary findings. Thank you.

#factsnotfiction
Lol, if baikie didn't reveal that counting system, I want you to reveal to me how baikie counted.
I looked up the book and just screenshoted it and sent to you, and I don't have it anymore and I don't have the energy.
I felt y'all saw it but skipped it.
I'm sure Ekealterego who loves to read baikie saw that numbering, so ask him secretly in your WhatsApp group chat to show it to you, or you yourself find it yourself.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 5:50pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

This is all I could find. I do not think it is helpful.
This is 1961

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:57pm On Dec 02, 2021
cheruv:

The dwarves were part of the pygmy race that inhabited the forests of central Afrịka from the Niger down to the Kongo river.
The Igbo name, àkà is a derivative of their own name, Baka which they answer till this day

Interesting.
I searched it and it turns out the Pygmy's were actually called Aka or Baka.
Looks like we assimilated them. grin

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 5:58pm On Dec 02, 2021
9Pluto:
For the benefit of those that don't know what we are talking about, can someone be kind enough to post some of those recent videos from Opobo where they were speaking the Ebane language.

Especially the one of one Portharcourt based pastor who was embarking on a charity mission in Opobo recently. Apostle Cookey.

I just found just found it, but I don't know how to link youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q22f9HXmw7Y

Guys, I just discovered a new Ebane word: Perekule
Usuage: I chooro I Perekule m?
Meaning: Do you want to deceive me?

cc
Slayerforever
Igboid
Ofoigbo
Eastlink
Ekealterego

Lol

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 6:00pm On Dec 02, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Alabo, thanks for falling into my trap.

Now I have attached a piece wherein Dr. Baikie made it quite clear, the ancestry of Bonny indigenes. I hope this will clear all doubt, especially as you want to rely on the Baikie name.

cc
Slayerforever
9Pluto
igboid

So how does it explain what we were earlier discussing?
From whom did baikie get his information?
Read the end of the excerpt, he said "he heard it from..."
Baikie's work is fallacious and that's the reason even encyclopedia Brittanica didn't mention it.
There are so many wrong information.
I'll advice you people to stop masturbating to baikie's works which has been weeded from the British national library.
Nigga, I have another university degree in library and information science.
There are wrong and outdated information which are only discovered later on, and the library weed those materials out.
Baikie's works weren't deep and extensive as he only interviewed the igbos.
Horton even contradicted him by saying Nembe/brass is Igbo.
Below is the accurate one.
I didn't fall for your trap oga.

I thought you all are intelligent, using wrong, obsolete and fallacious texts to shove down our throats.
Spits*
Look at the accurate record given to us by Ekealterego who was probably in the throes of somnambulism.
If the British information personels were satisfied with baikie and Hortons work which contradicted themselves, they wouldn't have sent crowther to get this fact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 6:06pm On Dec 02, 2021
PROUDIGBO:

If only Queen Victoria could have foreseen the misery and bloodshed the path her gov't finally took would cause millions of people centuries later!

So the Yoruba were called Aku then?
Exactly...
The Yoruba were known to the Europeans as àkụ́... It is only the Yorubas of Kogi State that retain the name, albeit in the alternate form of ọ̀kụ́n

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:39pm On Dec 02, 2021
Alabo7978:

So how does it explain what we were earlier discussing?
From whom did baikie get his information?
Read the end of the excerpt, he said "he heard it from..."
Baikie's work is fallacious and that's the reason even encyclopedia Brittanica didn't mention it.
There are so many wrong information.
I'll advice you people to stop masturbating to baikie's works which has been weeded from the British national library.
Nigga, I have another university degree in library and information science.
There are wrong and outdated information which are only discovered later on, and the library weed those materials out.
Baikie's works weren't deep and extensive as he only interviewed the igbos.
Horton even contradicted him by saying Nembe/brass is Igbo.
Below is the accurate one.
I didn't fall for your trap oga.

I thought you all are intelligent, using wrong, obsolete and fallacious texts to shove down our throats.
Spits*
Look at the accurate record given to us by Ekealterego who was probably in the throes of somnambulism.
If the British information personels were satisfied with baikie and Hortons work which contradicted themselves, they wouldn't have sent crowther to get this fact.

In Ndoki

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by oyatz(m): 6:50pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

We've passed this stage.

1. The political authority over Bonny is in the hands of Rivers state Government and last I checked, it is not headed by Ijaw.

2. The cultural genocide perpetrated by Ijaw on Bonny is enough referendum.
They see Bonny as an abandoned booty right for taking.

Like you rightly observed, the political authority over Bonny and Opobo is the Government of Rivers State.

If there's going to be any referendum on whether any part of Rivers should join Biafra or not, the elected representatives of these cities in both the State and National Assembly will move a motion to include these areas as parts of the territories where referendum will hold.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:50pm On Dec 02, 2021
cheruv:

Exactly...
The Yoruba were known to the Europeans as àkụ́... It is only the Yorubas of Kogi State that retain the name, albeit in the alternate form of ọ̀kụ́n
Sure, PROUDIGBO
This is the reason. The Oyos were the ones called "Yarriba" by the Fulanis.

However, it is outsiders that call them Akus, especially in Sierra Leone where they were taken as slaves and other continents. Also, in some colonies, they were called "Lukumi" or "Olukunmi".

The Akus (Yorubas) were able to keep their identity in Sierra Leone and Gambia and till today, they are still known as Akus there. They are a minority group there.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikot-Abasi

You can read up on Ikot Abasi here.

The Ijaws had it so good in the immediate post civil war era.
Anything they wanted, the Hausa Fulanis granted them for their role in helping them defeat Biafra.
That was how Opobo moved from Akwaibom to old Rivers State controlled by Ijaws through boundary adjustment.
I bet this was part of their long term plan to claim the Island.
Because I think if Opobo remained in Akwaibom, we wouldn't be having all these argument about Opobo as those lots in Akwaibom are not land grabbers like the Izons.

Once Bayelsa was created they asked that Kalabari, Bonny and Opobo be added to the new Bayelsa. Some were in support some were not. But the then Jaja on seat stoutly refused for Opobo to be added to Bayelsa. Some highly Influential Ibani Chiefs led the opposition to Jaja. It was a brutal fight that bred serious bad blood. Though I think there was later a reconciliation.

Kalabari refused to join too. But I don't know the details of that.

9 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Malawian(m): 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2021
[quote author=JANK23H post=108138921][/quote]
Like seriously? Kindle project topic na him you drop here.

Umunnem, it is finished.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by peleson1: 7:12pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlayerForever:

Don't worry we have read this crap before. Once Ijaw's claims on a territory fail they will revise history and say they were the earliest settlers before the town was discovered. Bunch of lowlives.

This is what they are doing to King Jaja today. They keep spinning tales that Jaja met aborigine Ijaws on the land he founded Opobo. I pity that man if he doesn't align with the Igbo nation soonest. In fact among Ijaw Ibani land thieves there is a saying they always use to back up their lies. They will say, it is the first person to enter the bush that owns the bush.
Our ijaw brothers andoni and nkoro were the original aborigins in Opobo kingdom, terms we're discussed and We Opobo people still hand over Gordon gin to nkoro every 31st December.
U see how nonsense u v made urself look by land grabbing what DOES NOT belong to u

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 7:18pm On Dec 02, 2021
9Pluto:

I didn't want to answer him but since you have started it here is my feedback for him.

Identity could be influenced by political authority in Europe but not in Africa. Since no indigenous ethnic groups in southern Nigeria really colonized the other. Unless he is trying to claim the Proud progenitors of Ancient Bonny and Opobo were colonized by ijaws which hasn't been proven. Except for instances of Ijaw leaders like the current King of Nembe who confiscated Igbo properties in the old River state.

He should ask him self:

Why is Bonny and Opobo the only two places on the coast where the indigenous language is different from the acclaimed owners?
Despite the Fulani hegemony over the Hauses, the Hausa language like the Ebanne has stood the test of time.

People's languages cannot be wished away by an executive fiat as is been attempted on this islands.
It is not easy for languages from different language families to displace one another. Igbo and Ijo are from different language families,so it'd be quite difficult for Ijo to replace Igbo... Which is also why Fula can never displace Hausa, whilst Hausa can displace those Northern languages that are of the same family as Hausa.
Take the middle East for example... Aramaic was the lingua franca of the middle East but that was displaced by Arabic kos both languages are Semitic languages. Aramaic would've already displaced Hebrew, but for the saving grace that Hebrew was also a liturgical language

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Malawian(m): 7:24pm On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

Good one.
If only they Learnt the process of making the barrels of gun earlier enough, maybe we could have made enough guns to halt the colonials from defeating us.
Same thing during the civil war. We didn't know how toake bullets.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 7:40pm On Dec 02, 2021
peleson1:

Our ijaw brothers andoni and nkoro were the original aborigins in Opobo kingdom, terms we're discussed and We Opobo people still hand over Gordon gin to nkoro every 31st December.
U see how nonsense u v made urself look by land grabbing what DOES NOT belong to u

Bro don't give yourself BP over this matter as your attempts to bury the truth has failed and it is now starring you in the face.

That doesn't mean we can't be best of friends or neighbors. It doesn't mean we can't strike a business deal tomorrow. It doesn't mean we cannot sit down round a table and have a drink at any joint around tombia roundabout. After all, several great ijaw and fine igbo families have gotten married and are so interwoven today that it is so hard to tell them apart.

We just stated things the way it is and we are not fighting.
Remember aminadokiari! LOL.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (91) (Reply)

EndSARS: Awkuzu SARS Under Lock As Protesters Paralyse Awka / The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. / Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.