Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53690 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 6:35pm On Dec 25, 2021
Ekealterego:

Robbstark is from Bayelsa. However, he will kill himself just to have superior DNA in his system.

Ijaws matter dey give you guys sleepless nights ooo with all these useless threads upandan.
But you all have failed just like the con artist in detention, just like Ojukwu and those that came after him.

Make una rest.
It's not by force to be in the same country with y'all

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 6:36pm On Dec 25, 2021
Ekealterego:

Robbstark is from Bayelsa. However, he will kill himself just to have superior DNA in his system.

The Ijaws hardly commits suicide.
I can't kee myself when I know the truth which is Opobo n bonny are Ijaw territories.
It is you guys who want to kee yourselves to own those places cos of sea route.

Your elites aren't saying anything cos they know it's a dead end trying to claim it.
You guys here are miscreants who know nothing about those lands.
But continue.
I am enjoying the circus
Clowns

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:23pm On Dec 25, 2021
RobbStark:

The Ijaws hardly commits suicide.
I can't kee myself when I know the truth which is Opobo n bonny are Ijaw territories.
It is you guys who want to kee yourselves to own those places cos of sea route.

Your elites aren't saying anything cos they know it's a dead end trying to claim it.
You guys here are miscreants who know nothing about those lands.
But continue.
I am enjoying the circus
Clowns

...history shows that you guys were very suicidal over simple things.
The sequence is to get sad over little things
drink
commit suicide.

Here is an account.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:26pm On Dec 25, 2021
RobbStark:

Ijaws matter dey give you guys sleepless nights ooo with all these useless threads upandan.
But you all have failed just like the con artist in detention, just like Ojukwu and those that came after him.

Make una rest.
It's not by force to be in the same country with y'all

95% of your account is filled with Igbo bashing.

If you notice, this is the only time Igbos have made out time to match the energy you guys have been giving.

This is because our IPOB brothers have reduced their minority asssslicking.

Some are now focused on what they should focus on - Igbos.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2021
Ekealterego kedukwanu. Compliments of the season.

Have you been able to decipher who the Oru are, based on those historical texts.

Also the name Ogolo predominant in Opobo appears to be a misspelling of the original Ogulu. Do you have any information on this?

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2021
Who knows the meaning of Amakiri.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:11pm On Dec 29, 2021
SlayerForever:
Ekealterego kedukwanu. Compliments of the season.

Have you been able to decipher who the Oru are, based on those historical texts.

Also the name Ogolo predominant in Opobo appears to be a misspelling of the original Ogulu. Do you have any information on this?

I think in terms of history older than 200 years, little was written on Oru as one group.

However, there are evidence pointing towards two Orus. The Oru-Igbo, who are today, Aboh (Delta), Oguta (Imo), Ndoni (Rivers), Orumba (Anambra), Oru west/East (Imo), Onitsha etc. too numerous to mention.

There are also Orus who I would say were assimilated into the Ijo culture or language.

There were evidence from Baikie and Adams that people from around that area of Aboh, Oguta, exchanged or sojourned towards Brass and Nembe areas and from the way they interrelated, one would doubt if they returned. down the mouth of the Niger and Orashi rivers, one can still see these small villages with Igbo names but with now a different language.

However, some of the Orus are also Ijaws, no doubt or now Ijaws or probably were or just an intermixture because of trades or immigration or migration along the rivers.

There are many books written on Oru-Igbo culture.

See page 7, 8 and 9
https://www.nairaland.com/6897301/notable-ijaw-scholars-history-book/7

@vintagepipes posted a map in a typical Oru-Igbo town in Imo state. You will see even places with names like Okirika, Oru this and Oru that.

Those pages I posted were rich with information.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:41pm On Dec 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

I think in terms of history older than 200 years, little was written on Oru as one group.

However, there are evidence pointing towards two Orus. The Oru-Igbo, who are today, Aboh (Delta), Oguta (Imo), Ndoni (Rivers), Orumba (Anambra), Oru west/East (Imo), Onitsha etc. too numerous to mention.

There are also Orus who I would say were assimilated into the Ijo culture or language.

There were evidence from Baikie and Adams that people from around that area of Aboh, Oguta, exchanged or sojourned towards Brass and Nembe areas and from the way they interrelated, one would doubt if they returned. down the mouth of the Niger and Orashi rivers, one can still see these small villages with Igbo names but with now a different language.

However, some of the Orus are also Ijaws, no doubt or now Ijaws or probably were or just an intermixture because of trades or immigration or migration along the rivers.

There are many books written on Oru-Igbo culture.

See page 7, 8 and 9
https://www.nairaland.com/6897301/notable-ijaw-scholars-history-book/7

@vintagepipes posted a map in a typical Oru-Igbo town in Imo state. You will see even places with names like Okirika, Oru this and Oru that.

Those pages I posted were rich with information.

Okay. Thank you. I think quite a section of the Orus got mixed up with the Ijaw and got totally assimilated. Today they have more or less disappeared.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
SlayerForever:

Okay. Thank you. I think quite a section of the Orus got mixed up with the Ijaw and got totally assimilated. Today they have more or less disappeared.
Yes, totally. We gave example of one of the Orus that although still maintained their names and village names but lost the language. Although they still maintain some Igbo cultures.
An example is Biseni in Bayelsa. Most of their surnames are still Igbos.. some even understand Igbo and speak but another language dominates the area.

Most of them, although with Igbo names and even culture no longer Identify as Igbos or even Oru.

I also believe there are difference waves and time of these migration. Some are ancient, while some are relatively not more than 200 years ago.

Igboid and Bkayy can shed more light, although they have done in the past.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 9:26pm On Dec 29, 2021
Ekealterego:

Yes, totally. We gave example of one of the Orus that although still maintained their names and village names but lost the language. Although they still maintain some Igbo cultures.
An example is Biseni in Bayelsa. Most of their surnames are still Igbos.. some even understand Igbo and speak but another language dominates the area.

Most of them, although with Igbo names and even culture no longer Identify as Igbos or even Oru.

I also believe there are difference waves and time of these migration. Some are ancient, while some are relatively not more than 200 years ago.

Igboid and Bkayy can shed more light, although they have done in the past.

Oh definitely the migrations were at different times, probably even centuries apart. Thanks.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Sergio101(m): 12:21am On Dec 30, 2021
cool

The great igbos on deck.
My Greetings brethren.

Umu ijo na-agba sulugede, unu amakwa na sulugede bu egwu mmụọ?? cheesy.

Finally Free from months ban from ndị ala na achikwa forum a.

ijaw to the mud!!!!!!!!.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Liebermantic: 4:13pm On Dec 30, 2021
SlayerForever:
Amakiri claims an Igbo descent..Amakiri is Igbo..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Liebermantic: 4:13pm On Dec 30, 2021
SlayerForever:
Amakiri is an Igbo descent

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2021
Liebermantic:

Amakiri is an Igbo descent
grin grin grin
Funny people

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 8:24pm On Jan 02, 2022
JANK23H:

grin grin grin
Funny people

Chai Ijaw people. In this last few weeks I have learnt so much about you guys.

You lie through your teeth on many arguments here.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 8:25pm On Jan 02, 2022
As someone suggested earlier I will catalogue the thread so information can be found very quickly.

It will take time but I will complete it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by AfonjaFula: 11:38pm On Jan 04, 2022
Eastlandx:

Which book is this?

Not yet in public market
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Liebermantic: 7:00am On Jan 08, 2022
This topic has revealed what Nigerian government failed to teach in schools. This is the reason why History is banned in Nigerian schools.
Ijaws keep saying Igbo people are Water-phobic..I wonder how they get such misconception..
Hundreds of Rivers and lakes in Core Igbo land, who fishes or uses them? Ijaw?
Those River Niger,Imo river, Azumini, Otamiri, Orashi etc in central IGBO land, who are the dwellers of those places? Ndi ara! The claim of ownership of Bonny and Opobo is a lost Battle for Ijaw..You can't change these Historical records of over 100-400 years ago with your Fulani anti-Igbo government manipulated stories. A day of reckoning is fast-approaching..IPOB needs to stop involving Ijaws of Bayelsa, Urhobo, Isoko, Itsekiri, Ibibio,Efik,Annang and other insignificant minorities in the Biafra Struggle..In fact, With Bonny and Opobo, Biafra will be the largest Economy in the whole Africa if it ever comes to realization..We don't need Ijaw in Igbo country.The British and European explorers knew these Ijaw people and described them as " Savages with no conscience".We need to read history and know how to treat this people whenever the needs arise. They are very dangerous to our survival.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 5:14pm On Jan 09, 2022
Ekealterego:

...history shows that you guys were very suicidal over simple things.
The sequence is to get sad over little things
drink
commit suicide.

Here is an account.

Maybe his wife told him he wasn't good in bed. grin grin...
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:49pm On Jan 09, 2022
ThickSharon123:

Maybe his wife told him he wasn't good in bed. grin grin...
That is a very viable reason to be honest.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 6:07pm On Jan 11, 2022
Igboid:

Ututu is not an offshoot of Arochukwu.
They are independent group of their own, but as expected, they are related to Arochukwu.

I have a hypothesis that the Igbo came to our current location through a Northern direction.
But at Kogi, there was a split. One group took the direction of Edo and the other took the direction of Benue and then Cross River.
The groups that took Edo direction gave rise to the Indigenous Igbo tribes in Anioma, those who took Benue direction ended up in Ikwo, Ezza,Izzi. Those who took Cross River direction ended up forming Bende, Arochukwu, Ututu,Ohafia, Abiriba.
Others moved straight from Kogi to Anambra River area and formed the Nri and Nsukka groups.
All these groups now kept pushing down until they all met each other again within Abia and Imo state.
Kept pushing until they reached the coasts (Bonny).
I believe during these journey, many Igbos were left along the way, and they settled with their non Igbo neighbors and lost their Igbo language.

When you listen to Abiriba, Bende history, you hear of origin from Cross River direction, yet the name of their ancestors were all Igbos.
For example the ancestor of Abiriba was called "Nnachioke"
So I came to the conclusion that these ancestors were Igbos on the move who had to pass through non Igbo territories, settled amongst them, acquired wives and friends from there who joined in their journey, until they settled to where they are currently stationed. They also in typical Igbo manner acquired cultural practices of these people.

That's my rational explanation of the Igbo migration and the irreconcilable stories of ancestors who were said to be Edo, Cross River, Igala , etc, yet all bore Igbo names and have their descendants speaking Igbo.

Arochukwu, Abiriba, Edda, Abam and Ohafia are Akpas (Efiks/Ekois) from Akwa Akpa, the old name of Duke town in Calabar. They speak 3 languages, Efik, Ibibio,and Igbo. They also observe the Ekpe secret society rituals under the Obong of Calabar till date.

See the summary of their history here:
https://www.nairaland.com/6925217/true-origin-aro-summary-aro
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 6:09pm On Jan 11, 2022
Igboid:
When you read Aro history.
You would be told that when the war became strong, Aro people called for the help of Akpas, a group who no one know their true origin today but is believed to have lived in Cross River State , the Akpas it was who turned the tide of war in favor of the Aros.
But look at the name of the leader of the Akpa warriors: AKUMA. That's a typical Igbo name that Igbos still bear until today.

My rational analysis is that the Akpas were likely part of the same Igbo Entourage as Aros who passed through Cross River on their journey to Arochukwu, but while the Aros completed the journey, the Akpas settled along the way in Cross River and became an independent group there and maybe retained their contact with their Aro brothers, who contacted them when they were in need.

Akpas are from Akwa Akpa. Akwa Akpa is the old name of Duke town in Calabar. Since the natives of Calabar are Efiks, it then means the Akpas are Efiks/Ekois.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 6:10pm On Jan 11, 2022
Igboid:
When you read Aro history.
You would be told that when the war became strong, Aro people called for the help of Akpas, a group who no one know their true origin today but is believed to have lived in Cross River State , the Akpas it was who turned the tide of war in favor of the Aros.
But look at the name of the leader of the Akpa warriors: AKUMA. That's a typical Igbo name that Igbos still bear until today.

My rational analysis is that the Akpas were likely part of the same Igbo Entourage as Aros who passed through Cross River on their journey to Arochukwu, but while the Aros completed the journey, the Akpas settled along the way in Cross River and became an independent group there and maybe retained their contact with their Aro brothers, who contacted them when they were in need.

Akpas are from Akwa Akpa. Akwa Akpa is the old name of Duke town in Calabar. Since the natives of Calabar are Efiks, it then means the Akpas are Efiks/Ekois.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 7:05pm On Jan 11, 2022
GreatBoss:

As stupid as u are, I'm from Bonny.
What my father and grandfather told me is my history, not some useless Ibo on Nairaland.
All Ibani people are all Ijaws.
Go to hell and first stop calling fellow ibos outcast.
We don't have useless cultures like Ibo.
That have no regard and value for woman.

Post civil war Ijoid bonny indigene.
How many native Bonny Igbo did you eliminate and take over there lands and properties before saying Bonny is Ijo?

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 7:07pm On Jan 11, 2022
GreatBoss:

You can say whatever u want to say online, all I know is that, if una reach Bonny nd say this kind of thing.
That will be una last minutes on earth concerning what we will make una face.
Foolish people.

Shameless land grabbers, ethnic cleansers and genocidists.

I love how Itsekiri people dealt with you guys when you came to drag Warri with them

Shameless people

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 11, 2022
donborg:

Arochukwu, Abiriba, Edda, Abam and Ohafia are Akpas (Efiks/Ekois) from Akwa Akpa, the old name of Duke town in Calabar. They speak 3 languages, Efik, Ibibio,and Igbo. They also observe the Ekpe secret society rituals under the Obong of Calabar till date.

See the summary of their history here:
LWKM grin

Ibos are just one kin funny people grin

Very soon, this people go talk say Efik is ibo grin

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 7:09pm On Jan 11, 2022
GreatBoss:
Nengi is a unisex name both male and female can answer it.

Nengi of BbNaija from Bayelsa.

She is from
Nembe-Ijaw Subgroup,
That carries both Brass nd Nembe LGA people.

The present Chairman Asari Toru LGA Kalabari-Ijaw is also Nengi by name.

The present Chairman Bonny LGA Ibani-Ijaw is also Nengi by name and u say Bonny is Igbo.
If them born una well come Bonny, come talk this nonesense.

Bonny belongs to the Igbo.

No be only one Ijaw name go make Bonny turn to Ijaw.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 11, 2022
donborg:

Bonny belongs to the Igbo.

No be only one Ijaw name go make Bonny turn to Ijaw.
On top Nairaland abi grin
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 7:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
DubaiLandLord:
On top Nairaland abi grin

Don't worry. We will soon give you Ijaw land grabbers the treatment Itsekiris gave you guys. very soon
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 8:15pm On Jan 11, 2022
donborg:

Nope. The Akpa in this story are not Efiks.
No Efik bear the name Akuma.
Thank you.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 8:55pm On Jan 11, 2022
Crazybeard:

These are fifteen century account and it trump's that of the British that was made in the 19th century.

Before then,there was no influx of Igbo slaves into Bonny.

Ijaws do not trade in Ivory. And Ijaws cannot be cannibalistic because they have an ample supply of a rich source of proteins in fishes from the river.

Igbos on the other hand are well known traders in Ivory. According to G T Basden in his book, Amongst the Ibos of Nigeria, Igbos were cannibalistic. This cannibalism is caused by the chronic lack of PROTEINOUS food like meat and fish compared to the very large population of the Igbo.

This means that the JOS are IGBOs, PURE AND SIMPLE
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by donborg(m): 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2022
Igboid:

Nope. The Akpa in this story are not Efiks.
No Efik bear the name Akuma.
Thank you.

The Aro bear Igbo names but they also tell you they are Akpas from Akwa Akpa (Calabar).
This means that they adopted the Igbo names to hide their identity which is Efik. This they did in order to aid them in assimilating into Igbo hinterlands to easily acquire slaves for sale.

Another instance was the Ibini Ukpabi shrine.
The Aros were smart enough to market the shrine not as the shrine of Ibini Ukpabi, but that of CHUKWUOKIKE ABIAMA. In order words most Igbo who went there never knew that the name of the shrine was truly Ibini Ukpabi

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (Reply)

Aondona Dajoh, Benue House Member-Elect Escapes Assassination Attempt, Car Burnt / Ambode Is Transforming Under Bridges In Lagos (Photos) / Mary Odili Wept And Begged Supreme Court Judges To Accept N5billion Bribe - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.