Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Fact About Pa Idu - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Fact About Pa Idu (8174 Views)

Pa Idu, Benin, Igbo And Onitsha, A Video Presentation By Imaseun Izoduwa / Fact About Oduduwa The Ancestor Of Yoruba.history. / "Village People" Fact Or Myth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 8:53pm On Nov 28, 2022
UGBE634:
I as a Bini man, I can hear central Esan better than an Oyo man will hear Owo. By scholars the Esan language is regarded as dialects of Edo. The only change you get in most words in Esan and Edo is R and L in many of their words e.g Binis would say Odionwere, Esans would say Odionwele, etc. it is like that In most of their words with minor changes here and there. It is not a full language. It feeds off the Edo language. There is no statement an Esan man will make that I will not be able to make sense of

They saying they are not "Edo" is more of an Identity thing. There is Edo as a race, which comprise of Bini, Urhobo, Isoko , Owan, Degema, Engenni, Ososo, Uneme, Etsako, etc . My grandma was Esan, her immediate younger wife was Owan, when they speak these languages are not strange to me, because they are close languages and brothers,Infact I do hear a thing or two even in the furthest Edoid language as I have proven in a post I earlier made about Urhobo . But someone speaking yoruba or Igbo, it would seem like the person is speaking swahili. It takes some features for a language to be Edoid, structures and some words that would certainly not die, that would still be prevalent in all these languages Even in the furthest language.

there is Edo as the name of a tribe which is Bini. They saying they are not Edo means they are not the group called "Binis" nevertheless that does not mean they are not twin to Binis

The name we have for them is "Edo ni san fia "which means "Edos that fled into the Bush" that is how they got their new Identity.
They could not withstand the harsh laws that was made by Oba Ewuare at the time after the death of his two sons. That is how they got their name Esan.

Igueben their last clan is considered Bini by them. A Bini man will comprehend what an Igueben man is saying ninety percent

We have a saying in my place, Edo na ma ze se ore Esan. Which translates to mean Edo not spoken well is Esan. Fortunately to venerate our Elders, this post recognizes what our Elders have always known. "The Bini or Edo language together with the Esan dialect"

We essentially bear the same names too, There is no name a Bini man would bear that an Esan man can't bear, eg Osaze, etc, I mean the same names, infact you cannot differentiate an Esan man from a Bini man with the name, you have to ask him his tribe

With these few points of mine, I hope I have been able to convince you and not confuse you that we are essentially the same group with different name, with few difference in culture however that certifies us as different group
you explained in full details and i appreciate bro. Already, I know many of the things you explained here, you don't need to tell me Esan people are also Edo, I know they are Binis that went to form their own just few Centuries back, and I see the Esans, Afemais and Owans as part of the Edo nation, they all share the same history, culture, values, and the same language family. Same way I can hear some of the things a Igala and Itsekiri man says because we're the same language family 'Yoruboid'. If the British didn't invade, all the edoids will most likely be in thesame country that is not Nigeria today. I'm just wondering why Esans don't like identifying with Edos but just Esan. Isn't it like Egbas saying they are egbas not Yorubas? It just doesn't make sense. Why the division? All the Edo tribes should have united a long time ago. But they are still divided.

2 Likes

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 9:07pm On Nov 28, 2022
UGBE634:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edofolks.com/html/pub23.htm&ved=2ahUKEwjTh5HyyMv7AhXOy6QKHcNJBiM4HhAWegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1ifKubsPjecFotqtenom-K

In that link, the eight paragraph, you will find the landmass and the population of the town called Urhonigbe, as at the year 2000, the population of the town according to the researcher was close to a hundred thousand, so it safe to say in 2022, that the town cannot be less than 100,000. This is just one of the large towns in Orhiowmon. Oza Aibiokunla is also very large and close to this figure, even Abudu the local government headquarter could pass for a city of its own, And they are all in Orhiowmon, Orhiowmon is not even Urban, she is not connected to the city at all. There are several smaller Bini communities in this large local government of about 10 thousand and above like Ugo, Egbokor ,Ugboko nimagbae etc. This local government is 2300 km square. This local government it is safe to say cannot be less than 350,000 to 400,000 in population and it is largely rural

Igboid- I once quoted the size of Urhonigbe and the population, I have been looking for the link, I finally found it, I came across it some donkey years ago

Banyxchi-This is the major town I quoted for you yesterday. That is the link up there, I might bring up the Abudu link sometime later. The local government of the Binis Even the rural ones are averagely larger than local government elsewhere. The Oba of Benin at the time did not want the partition of local government at the time so there won't Arise small independent kings and chiefdoms elsewhere. Local government gives some form of independence. According to his exact statement in the nineties, "make una nor share Bini for my hand".

As at the time, the Okaevbo of Urhonigbe was ever ready to gain or get some level of autonomy from the Oba, Even the Esama wanted to become a king in Benin in the nineties, it did not work out, then he opted for the creation of several local government at the time so that he could become a king in his Okada and environ, Aikhomu was his very close friends, as he had connections as at the time even now. The Oba of Benin spoke and work against it and it died a natural death. Aikhomu who had wanted to partition Edo south Into several local government because of its size as it is about 10,700km square( the landmass of the Binis is close to 60 percent of the landmass of Edo state) but was not given the go ahead by the Oba, then went to his Edo central that is one third of the landmass of the Binis and partitioned it into five local government.

Banyxchi- the town called Okada is in Ovia north east, and this town was about 78,000 in 2011. Today it should be about 90 or about 100,000 now and it just two wards in Ovia north east local government. The town Okada is also not connected to the city at all and it is largely rural. I have been able to convince you now of about 4 towns that cannot be less than 80,000 and more. Urhonigbe, Abudu, Oza, Okada. Urhonigbe and Okada should be at least 100,000. There are others in these seven local government with relative strength size of at least 50,000 . They're Ekiadolor, Ologbo,Ehor,Udo, Iguobazuwa,Usen. Ekiadolor and Ologbo would certainly be more, Ekiadolor cannot be less than 80 thousand in population. These communities are independent of the city and do not feed off it and they are all Bini speaking communities.

wow thanks for this. So I believe there are less LG to avoid small independence kings that might want to start problems? I just checked Edo state landmass and I think you right sha, Edo state is bigger than I thought, literally bigger than Ogun state.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 9:38pm On Nov 28, 2022
BanyXchi:
Thanks for taking your time to respond bro, I appreciate, but we still can't conclude with this sha. Yes I know Edo is obviously more populated than Osun, but at thesame time Edo has more migrants than Osun, I think you underestimate the population of non-indigenes in Edo Sha,Edo state is one of the most cosmopolitan states in the country with Deltans, Yorubas, Ibos, northerners,Igalas, ijaws and so on. Yes I agree we can't depend on the fraudulent census but at the same time we also can't conclude with voters registration because of non-indigenes and how some states always have Voters apathy. Maybe we can use NIN data?

Yes I know there are a lot of Binis across the country and diaspora but also there are Ekitis in the diaspora. Many of them also across the country and still spread into Kwara and Kogi. Are you sure the population outside the country is up to a milli? I estimate the population of Binis across Europe as about 200k or less, In UK Binis are not up to 30k, they are just few in France and Germany, but I know there are also a significant pop in Southern European countries like Spain, Italy. How do we get the statistics of about 1.2m? Yorubas have the highest pop in Western world while the Ibos in South East Asian countries. I believe we'll know more about the pop details next year after the census.

That's true, because yoruba as a group is far larger than Binis, but by a mile Bini is by far the most travelled minority when compared to any other minority. If Binis were up to the population of yoruba and Igbo, the western world would have shut their borders to us. Bro there is literally no household where a Bini is not abroad, I have seen a household with about 25 people, they have about 15 abroad.

you cannot give what you don't have, Ekiti is young, just there and recent, it is not a major population centre. There is no state in the south that does not have voters apathy. A state that did Nine hundred thousand in 2019 and repeated that feat with a few thousand is around that strength, It is at most three times the voters registration strength. And it seems to be even when it is a federal election that is coming forth. Where we can pardon apathy, for example is maybe a gap of 50,000 to 100,000 thousand. But when there is a gap of about 400,000 or 600,000 in a voters register and it happened twice in two subsequent voters registration exercise. then it is very certain that the leading state is more numerous.

but the same Osun state was adjudged more numerous than Edo state in 2006. the same Census you want me to trust. is it not you that is saying it now that you Know Edo is more numerous than Osun, is that what is there in the population census. No

Then you are also underestimating the population of Binis from other Benin communities in Benin city.Also you are neglecting the fact or you are getting to forget that the cities or towns or villages that Bini city is expanding into are Original Bini villages. These are Original Villages inhabited by Bini people that Bini city has expanded into their population also would count.

There are three factors you should look at here,(1) the original indigenes of Bini city who are Binis themselves, (2)those of us from other Bini communities that are now resident in Benin city (3) The indigenes of the communities, Bini city is presently expanding into. 60 percent of Benin city is still Benin- populated. And do not also forget that figures from those interior Bini communities I earlier listed in the other post would also add to it and it would count, as the voters registration number is for the entire Edo south, not Benin- city alone

I make bold to say out of that 1.3 million, at least 800,000-900,000 of that number would still be Binis

Yes Nin would make sense if you have access to the database.

You are underestimating the population of Binis outside the shores, The Binis that left Benin in 2017 two years after Buhari came into power, I can tell you it is over a hundred thousand. Today I can practically tell you that there is no household in Benin that does not have someone outside the shores of Nigeria, I mean Europe. I personally have four bethren outside the country out of a family of sixteen children, I have seen a family of about 30 with about half of that number abroad. we have about one third of Binis outside the country. The population of Binis in Germany is even more than the Binis in spain right now.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 9:41pm On Nov 28, 2022
BanyXchi:
you explained in full details and i appreciate bro. Already, I know many of the things you explained here, you don't need to tell me Esan people are also Edo, I know they are Binis that went to form their own just few Centuries back, and I see the Esans, Afemais and Owans as part of the Edo nation, they all share the same history, culture, values, and the same language family. Same way I can hear some of the things a Igala and Itsekiri man says because we're the same language family 'Yoruboid'. If the British didn't invade, all the edoids will most likely be in thesame country that is not Nigeria today. I'm just wondering why Esans don't like identifying with Edos but just Esan. Isn't it like Egbas saying they are egbas not Yorubas? It just doesn't make sense. Why the division? All the Edo tribes should have united a long time ago. But they are still divided.
you are welcome man, my pleasure

1 Like

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by AreaFada2: 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2022
samuk:
AreaFada2

UGBE634

My account was temporarily suspended, but I was able to read your contributions, well done.

The only point I wanted to add is that Edo/Benin have nothing to drag with any other tribes. Our ancestors have left us a great legacy that the rest of the world are now committing resources to study.

The study of Benin kingdom has now been incorporated into the UK secondary schools curriculum to give all black students irrespective of countries of origin a sense of belonging, inclusion and pride in themselves. Benin kingdom is the only kingdom in Nigeria that have enough authentic materials to be studied.

Whilst Benin history is deliberately being undermine by some of our jealous neighbours, the rest of the world see Benin as the leading light for the black race historically. Locally halve baked scholars can continue to write fictions that the word doesn't take notice off.

https://educationblog.oup.com/secondary/diversifying-history-at-ks3
That's how they play dirty when they cannot logically argue. We are not dragging anything o. But others should stop claiming that we took this and that from them, they first called us this and that name, we took the name for this or that animal, from them.

Very true, as e dey pain dem, e dey sweet us. Oyinbo just can't have enough of Benin. I grew up seeing books on history being written. I often read original manuscripts, edited manuscripts and published books.

So those without such background or any particular history of /interest in seeking true knowledge but are now using ethnic pride to say nonsense online are wasting time. The more jealous neighbours try to undermine us, the more we grow worldwide. 9ja's expiry date is coming ever loser. Soon enough we won't have any reason to argue anything. We already have a history and culture to build on worldwide.

I only come to Nairaland to banter and laugh these days. grin cheesy

In real life, there are very sound and reasonable people from East and West. I have monarchs who are relatives in SW. They know their historical links with Benin. You will be surprised how well they know the links. More than some Benin people even. But these are people of true old royal lineages, educated and well-travelled. Others are also from leading aristocratic families mostly.

Those people who overzealously insult and deride Benin have no status in their land. If they claim they are from Royal families, it's from the likes Oyetola hurriedly created in Osun to set trap for the dancing senator. grin cheesy

I am prepared to visit and take anybody on a tour of those places in SW. Anybody who can talk should be able to show it in action in real life. If not, that person is a mere riff-raff.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 9:46pm On Nov 28, 2022
BanyXchi:
wow thanks for this. So I believe there are less LG to avoid small independence kings that might want to start problems? I just checked Edo state landmass and I think you right sha, Edo state is bigger than I thought, literally bigger than Ogun state.
Yes now, till today my father still have some subtle beef for the late king as a result, when we discuss politics, he usually brings it in once or twice, saying he has helped drag Edo back because of his interest. If it is some other tribe, Urhonigbe would just be a local government of his own, it is a large town with ten quarters

2 Likes

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by samuk: 8:49am On Nov 29, 2022
AreaFada2:

That's how they play dirty when they cannot logically argue. We are not dragging anything o. But others should stop claiming that we took this and that from them, they first called us this and that name, we took the name for this or that animal, from them.

Very true, as e dey pain dem, e dey sweet us. Oyinbo just can't have enough of Benin. I grew up seeing books on history being written. I often read original manuscripts, edited manuscripts and published books.

So those without such background or any particular history of /interest in seeking true knowledge but are now using ethnic pride to say nonsense online are wasting time. The more jealous neighbours try to undermine us, the more we grow worldwide. 9ja's expiry date is coming ever loser. Soon enough we won't have any reason to argue anything. We already have a history and culture to build on worldwide.

I only come to Nairaland to banter and laugh these days
. grin cheesy

In real life, there are very sound and reasonable people from East and West. I have monarchs who are relatives in SW. They know their historical links with Benin. You will be surprised how well they know the links. More than some Benin people even. But these are people of true old royal lineages, educated and well-travelled. Others are also from leading aristocratic families mostly.

Those people who overzealously insult and deride Benin have no status in their land. If they claim they are from Royal families, it's from the likes Oyetola hurriedly created in Osun to set trap for the dancing senator. grin cheesy

I am prepared to visit and take anybody on a tour of those places in SW. Anybody who can talk should be able to show it in action in real life. If not, that person is a mere riff-raff.

You are right, Nairaland is just for a laugh and fun, Benin history is world history. Nigeria definitely have an expiring date, the country cannot continue like this, there is going to be a major restructuring or everyone go their separate way.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 9:12am On Nov 29, 2022
UGBE634:
Yes now, till today my father still have some subtle beef for the late king as a result, when we discuss politics, he usually brings it in once or twice, saying he has helped drag Edo back because of his interest. If it is some other tribe, Urhonigbe would just be a local government of his own, it is a large town with ten quarters
wow that is something I never knew about Edo, thanks for explaining. Same happened here in Ogun among ijebus, the awujale was against more LGs. Do you think Esans will have their own state in the future?
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 9:17am On Nov 29, 2022
samuk:

You are right, Nairaland is just for a laugh and fun, Benin history is world history. Nigeria definitely have an expiring date, the country cannot continue like this, there is going to be a major restructuring or everyone go their separate way.
not restructuring but seperation, I totally agree that Edo people have a good history and culture and nigeria holds them down, we need to end this British contraption so that we can grow and develop in our own pace. I as a Yoruba can't wait to see the zoo disintegrate.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 9:19am On Nov 29, 2022
UGBE634:
you are welcome man, my pleasure
pls can you teach me how to mention someone on this forum? I mean how to tag and mention a moniker.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 9:28am On Nov 29, 2022
UGBE634:

That's true, because yoruba as a group is far larger than Binis, but by a mile Bini is by far the most travelled minority when compared to any other minority. If Binis were up to the population of yoruba and Igbo, the western world would have shut their borders to us. Bro there is literally no household where a Bini is not abroad, I have seen a household with about 25 people, they have about 15 abroad.

you cannot give what you don't have, Ekiti is young, just there and recent, it is not a major population centre. There is no state in the south that does not have voters apathy. A state that did Nine hundred thousand in 2019 and repeated that feat with a few thousand is around that strength, It is at most three times the voters registration strength. And it seems to be even when it is a federal election that is coming forth. Where we can pardon apathy, for example is maybe a gap of 50,000 to 100,000 thousand. But when there is a gap of about 400,000 or 600,000 in a voters register and it happened twice in two subsequent voters registration exercise. then it is very certain that the leading state is more numerous.

but the same Osun state was adjudged more numerous than Edo state in 2006. the same Census you want me to trust. is it not you that is saying it now that you Know Edo is more numerous than Osun, is that what is there in the population census. No

Then you are also underestimating the population of Binis from other Benin communities in Benin city.Also you are neglecting the fact or you are getting to forget that the cities or towns or villages that Bini city is expanding into are Original Bini villages. These are Original Villages inhabited by Bini people that Bini city has expanded into their population also would count.

There are three factors you should look at here,(1) the original indigenes of Bini city who are Binis themselves, (2)those of us from other Bini communities that are now resident in Benin city (3) The indigenes of the communities, Bini city is presently expanding into. 60 percent of Benin city is still Benin- populated. And do not also forget that figures from those interior Bini communities I earlier listed in the other post would also add to it and it would count, as the voters registration number is for the entire Edo south, not Benin- city alone

I make bold to say out of that 1.3 million, at least 800,000-900,000 of that number would still be Binis

Yes Nin would make sense if you have access to the database.

You are underestimating the population of Binis outside the shores, The Binis that left Benin in 2017 two years after Buhari came into power, I can tell you it is over a hundred thousand. Today I can practically tell you that there is no household in Benin that does not have someone outside the shores of Nigeria, I mean Europe. I personally have four bethren outside the country out of a family of sixteen children, I have seen a family of about 30 with about half of that number abroad. we have about one third of Binis outside the country. The population of Binis in Germany is even more than the Binis in spain right now.
yes and there are also many Binis in south Africa. I still believe we can't rely on Census and Voters registration though. Voters registration is better than the fraudulent Census but NIN is more reliable. Pls which ethnic group does Binis intermarry with the most apart from other Edo tribes? Yoruba or Uhrobo or ibos?
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 9:37am On Nov 29, 2022
samuk:
AreaFada2

UGBE634

My account was temporarily suspended, but I was able to read your contributions, well done.

The only point I wanted to add is that Edo/Benin have nothing to drag with any other tribes. Our ancestors have left us a great legacy that the rest of the world are now committing resources to study.

The study of Benin kingdom has now been incorporated into the UK secondary schools curriculum to give all black students irrespective of countries of origin a sense of belonging, inclusion and pride in themselves. Benin kingdom is the only kingdom in Nigeria that have enough authentic materials to be studied.

Whilst Benin history is deliberately being undermine by some of our jealous neighbours, the rest of the world see Benin as the leading light for the black race historically. Locally halve baked scholars can continue to write fictions that the word doesn't take notice off.

https://educationblog.oup.com/secondary/diversifying-history-at-ks3
grin delusions of grandeur.

1 Like

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 12:41pm On Nov 29, 2022
BanyXchi:
wow that is something I never knew about Edo, thanks for explaining Same happened here in Ogun among ijebus, the awujale was against more LGs. Do you think Esans will have their own state in the future?

You are welcome

They might canvass strongly for it, especially if an Esan man does not emerge as governor in 2024. But these days, it is super hard to create state as compared to how it was during the military days. Esan last had a bite with power during the days of Ambrose Alli of Ekpoma. That of Osunbor was a stolen mandate.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 1:01pm On Nov 29, 2022
BanyXchi:
yes and there are also many Binis in south Africa. I still believe we can't rely on Census and Voters registration though. Voters registration is better than the fraudulent Census but NIN is more reliable. Pls which ethnic group does Binis intermarry with the most apart from other Edo tribes? Yoruba or Uhrobo or ibos?
But there is no way to access the Nin database. We use the data Available to us, alongside with common sense and Observation. Thank God you attributes to the fact that voters registration is more reliable than fraudulent census. At least you have been to Edo state and you must have also been to Osun state to come up with the conclusion that Edo is more numerous than Osun, we can start from there.

To me it seems to be even. Those Binis in the southern flank whose villages are closer to sapele, Oghara, and who grew up in these villages relating with these people that borders them directly will be geared towards marrying the Urhobos more.

Then Eastern Binis like myself from Ugo, Urhonigbe, Oza, Abudu, who grew up in these places and mingled with the Igboid villages that borders them will certainly have a soft spot for these people and get married to them more, those are the set of Binis that usually say Ikas are not Igbo, their mothers are mainly from Igbanke, Abavo, Agbor etc, I think I read in a post where davidnazee said the maternal grandfather is from Igbanke.

And also western Binis that has yorubas in Ondo state as neighbors will certainly have a soft spot for them and marry more from those persons in Akure, Owo etc and and other towns that borders them in Ondo state.

And Also Binis on the northern flank such as Ehor, Igieduma etc will certainly get married more to Esans from Iruekpen, Ekpoma, etc

Apart from the intermingling in other states and in the centre which may lead to marriage from tribes outside these four, these are the four major tribes the Binis get married to and it is really hard to pinpoint the one the Binis get married to the most.

2 Likes

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by Olu317(m): 5:19pm On Nov 29, 2022
RedboneSmith:

Yes, I know. I will not be surprised if Yorùba also has a similar 'du' word for Lion as well. Because all these are sister-languages.

If you look at linguistics, you would know about something called YEAI languages. These are Yoruboid (of which Igala is a branch), Edoid, Akokoid and Igboid. Linguists tell us that these languages all descend from a common language in the distant past called Proto-YEAI. Thus, there are cognates found throughout the languages.

Now having cognates doesn't mean that there are no words that were still borrowed across these sister languages in later times.

For example, Igbo borrowed the word ugegbe for mirror from Edo. The etymologically Igbo word for mirror is enyo. Ugegbe was borrowed. Igbo also borrowed several titles from the Edo.

There were also linguistic items that were borrowed from Igbo to Edo, even though people never seem to want to talk about that, and get agitated when it is brought up, and think you're attempting to attack or belittle their culture/civilization.

Etymological analysis of the Edo word for skirt, (ubuluku) for instance, suggests the word has Igbo roots. If you ask an Edo person to break the word ubuluku apart and explain it, he wouldn't be able to. But an Igbo person can. To a linguist this would suggest the direction of diffusion of the word

Which brings us to Idu. I am still to meet an Edo person who can etymologically explain it, the way it is explainable in Igbo. All I have been told by you all is that it has a very long antiquity among the Edo. A lexical item might exist in a language community for 20,000 years and still have its roots outside that language community. Antiquity is not really a counter-argument against foreign provenance.

One question to keep in mind is: Why your other neighbours don't use that word for you. Why is it only recollected by your Igbo-speaking neighbours.
No, kiniun is lion in Yoruba. And lone word for it.

Du as suffix or prefix has some of various or even as stand alone even with meaning with different tonal sound. Examples are
Du : dark
Du: speed off etc

Odu : pot,earthenware ,container
Odudu:,container, big vessel
Odu: verses (in ifa)
Odu: feminine part of ifa(sometimes called as one who birthed other 16 odu in ifa)
Odu :dark
Odu :void
Odu : kin of vegetable
Odu : fabricated falsehood etc
Odu : as a name asssociated with ifa
Odu : one who flees etc

Idu- ganran exist in Yoruba lexicon which means pepper farm.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by BanyXchi: 7:02pm On Nov 29, 2022
UGBE634:
But there is no way to access the Nin database. We use the data Available to us, alongside with common sense and Observation. Thank God you attributes to the fact that voters registration is more reliable than fraudulent census. At least you have been to Edo state and you must have also been to Osun state to come up with the conclusion that Edo is more numerous than Osun, we can start from there.

To me it seems to be even. Those Binis in the southern flank whose villages are closer to sapele, Oghara, and who grew up in these villages relating with these people that borders them directly will be geared towards marrying the Urhobos more.

Then Eastern Binis like myself from Ugo, Urhonigbe, Oza, Abudu, who grew up in these places and mingled with the Igboid villages that borders them will certainly have a soft spot for these people and get married to them more, those are the set of Binis that usually say Ikas are not Igbo, their mothers are mainly from Igbanke, Abavo, Agbor etc, I think I read in a post where davidnazee said the maternal grandfather is from Igbanke.

And also western Binis that has yorubas in Ondo state as neighbors will certainly have a soft spot for them and marry more from those persons in Akure, Owo etc and and other towns that borders them in Ondo state.

And Also Binis on the northern flank such as Ehor, Igieduma etc will certainly get married more to Esans from Iruekpen, Ekpoma, etc

Apart from the intermingling in other states and in the centre which may lead to marriage from tribes outside these four, these are the four major tribes the Binis get married to and it is really hard to pinpoint the one the Binis get married to the most.
wow thanks bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by AreaFada2: 9:03pm On Nov 29, 2022
UGBE634:
See this statement below:

"On my right sits the Oni of Ife;
On my left, the Leader of our Government,
Obafemi Awolowo.
The Voice of the West is complete".

This statement was made by Alake on January 7th 1952 at the Western House of Assembly. Alake, a very junior king behind Alafin, Ooni, Awujale, Olowo, even Timi of Ede, Soun of Oshogbo and Ewi of Ado-Ekiti if you look into history properly, dared to stand up to make such a reckless declaration. In Ibadan for that matter.

He totally ignored other monarchs present including Oba Akenzua and others from Delta Province who were also members of the House back then.

Oba Akenzua led non-Yoruba people to walk out of the Assembly. Momentum to split from Western Region gathered from that event. It was achieved in 1963 referendum.

Oba Erediauwa's father was key to creating Midwest and fought for it. Later Bendel to Edo and Delta.

You can understand Oba Erediauwa's passion to maintain unity among Edo. He witnessed that part of our history. We need to educate people about where we are coming. We shouldn't take what we have for granted.

Now times have changed. 9ja is far more disunited now than in 1996. FG might not even have granted a 7th SS state in 1996.
It's probably just about the right time now.

1 Like

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 9:51pm On Nov 29, 2022
AreaFada2:

See this statement below:

"On my right sits the Oni of Ife;
On my left, the Leader of our Government,
Obafemi Awolowo.
The Voice of the West is complete".

This statement was made by Alake on January 7th 1952 at the Western House of Assembly. Alake, a very junior king behind Alafin, Ooni, Awujale, Olowo, even Timi of Ede, Soun of Oshogbo and Ewi of Ado-Ekiti if you look into history properly, dared to stand up to make such a reckless declaration. In Ibadan for that matter.

He totally ignored other monarchs present including Oba Akenzua and others from Delta Province who were also members of the House back then.

Oba Akenzua led non-Yoruba people to walk out of the Assembly. Momentum to split from Western Region gathered from that event. It was achieved in 1963 referendum.

Oba Erediauwa's father was key to creating Midwest and fought for it. Later Bendel to Edo and Delta.

You can understand Oba Erediauwa's passion to maintain unity among Edo. He witnessed that part of our history. We need to educate people about where we are coming. We shouldn't take what we have for granted.

Now times have changed. 9ja is far more disunited now than in 1996. FG might not even have granted a 7th SS state in 1996.
It's probably just about the right time now.
The fg would have undeniably granted a seventh state for the south south, bear in mind that the second in command to Abacha who is equivalent to the vice president today was an Esan man in the person of Akhigbe.
Anenih might have thwarted this one because of the fact that the state capital lot did not fall on Esan people but rather the lot of the state governors which is Even rotational. But this is a different issue,

I am talking about Aikhomu that was the vice to Babangida. Eredieuwa did not allow the creation of local government which would have allowed these communities and their kings some form of independence and these towns some form of development. If not for what Eredieuwa did, there would have been strong population concentration in several towns rather than the strong congregation of Bini populace in Benin city as a residential area. He was however afraid that these kings in these towns with some form of independence and a separate local government would have enabled them to chart their course. That was his major concern. He wanted strong undiluted control over all Edo areas, however it has caused Edo major underdevelopment aside Benin city.

Look at Esan today, their five major towns are fairly developed and are inhabitable, same cannot be said for the Binis

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by AreaFada2: 2:22am On Nov 30, 2022
UGBE634:
The fg would have undeniably granted a seventh state for the south south, bear in mind that the second in command to Abacha who is equivalent to the vice president today was an Esan man in the person of Akhigbe.
Anenih might have thwarted this one because of the fact that the state capital lot did not fall on Esan people but rather the lot of the state governors which is Even rotational. But this is a different issue,

I am talking about Aikhomu that was the vice to Babangida. Eredieuwa did not allow the creation of local government which would have allowed these communities and their kings some form of independence and these towns some form of development. If not for what Eredieuwa did, there would have been strong population concentration in several towns rather than the strong congregation of Bini populace in Benin city as a residential area. He was however afraid that these kings in these towns with some form of independence and a separate local government would have enabled them to chart their course. That was his major concern. He wanted strong undiluted control over all Edo areas, however it has caused Edo major underdevelopment aside Benin city.

Look at Esan today, their five major towns are fairly developed and are inhabitable, same cannot be said for the Binis

Why did they not grant SW a seventh State? Abacha was from NE by origin but family settled in Kano. He didn't grant NE a seventh State. Remember that Anioma, Adada and other states were all also discussed but not granted. IBB didn't even create Gbagyi State for his own tribe and didn't create Anioma State for his wife. Which other reasonable thing was Aikhomu able to bring to Irrua never mind Esanland at large? Is it a whole state he could have done? It's not that simple.

Erediauwa was at the heart of Gowon's regime's cabinet office (before retiring from it) and truly knew how to pull one or two strings but history is more important here.

Regarding state creation, it's easy to see things from the outside and look easy. In 1995 I discussed with a now late General who was in the group of IBB, Abacha, Dongoyaro, Vatsa (before the alleged coup), Bako (died trying to go arrest Shagari in 1983 coup), Dimka (1976 coup leader) and those many North Central officers. You know our big men in 9ja become very simple in Europe/abroad. Especially under certain circumstances. It gave me insight into just how complex 9ja is at the top level with many vested interests.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 3:06am On Nov 30, 2022
AreaFada2:

Why did they not grant SW a seventh State? Abacha was from NE by origin but family settled in Kano. He didn't grant NE a seventh State. Remember that Anioma, Adada and other states were all also discussed but not granted. IBB didn't even create Gbagyi State for his own tribe and didn't create Anioma State for his wife. Which other reasonable thing was Aikhomu able to bring to Irrua never mind Esanland at large? Is it a whole state he could have done? It's not that simple.

Erediauwa was at the heart of Gowon's regime's cabinet office (before retiring from it) and truly knew how to pull one or two strings but history is more important here.

Regarding state creation, it's easy to see things from the outside and look easy. In 1995 I discussed with a now late General who was in the group of IBB, Abacha, Dongoyaro, Vatsa (before the alleged coup), Bako (died trying to go arrest Shagari in 1983 coup), Dimka (1976 coup leader) and those many North Central officers. You know our big men in 9ja become very simple in Europe/abroad. Especially under certain circumstances. It gave me insight into just how complex 9ja is at the top level with many vested interests.
It was at this period, Ekiti state was later created in the south west, Ekiti state was created in 1996 . Ekiti state would have been agemates with the afemesan state. When you read that write up, you can see that the Otaru was lamenting heavily and fingered Anenih for it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/otaru-of-auchi-how-we-lost-out-in-the-bid-to-create-afemesan-state/&ved=2ahUKEwjpk5Ot_OL0AhWNxYUKHfaDDmoQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0LaFfDTyS-rnpL90Yyv0Qu

They did a ballot thing to choose between Esan and Etsako who will get the state capital and The first governor. The lots of the first governor fell on Esan people and the lots of capital fell on Etsako. Me I am fingering this as the reason why the state was not created, Anenih a strong Uromi man would not have allowed the capital of the new state go to Auchi when Uromi was there, and the position of governor was even rotational. He was able to convince them,(Esan traditional rulers to pull out. The Otaru clearly knew who did him wrong. The Oba did not play a major role here.

My focus is on the creation of local government which would have enabled development in several towns aside Benin city that Oba Eredieuwa was against.
Towns like Okada, Iguobazuwa, Ekiadolor, Ugo, Urhonigbe Abudu, Ehor, etc. You cannot compare Okada to any of the five major towns in Esanland , I have been there, they are fairly developed and inhabitable.

But the Oba did not allow the creation of more local government which would have championed development in these towns, because he knew with some form of independence and development, many of them would have charted their own course and history, e.g Okaevbo of Urhonigbe, the Olu-awure of Usen, the Esama of Benin with Okada and others. "Baba iri edo", has become a major slogan in other towns in Benin Kingdom. There is no place in Edo south,aside Benin city that a young promising Bini man can stay to live ,and hustle aside Benin city, which would not have been the case if more local government were created. These are the issues. The Oba of Benin in the early nineties in the bid to protect his interest did us wrong. It is even now that Obaseki has seen the wrong done to us, and is trying to decongest the city and create 14 new mini cities in Edo south and beyond that is at least enough for inhabitation.

1 Like

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by AutomaticMotors: 3:49am On Nov 30, 2022
AreaFada2:

At least a woman taking hard currency abroad is wiser than one that opens leg for Agbero just for amala and Ewedu from Iya Basira Buka. cheesy grin Italy one can benefit well compared to local champion. If you must chop frog, chop a nice fat one.
At least their skulls will not be mined whether in Edo or Italy but your people in SW thank heavens if they wake up on any given morning with their head intact.

We already broke away without waiting for the people we have in SW. No biggie.

So why did you guys support your Hausa masters to stop Biafra then? Midwest was neutral when the war started. Since when did leaving Hausas become a priority for you guys? We already realised in 1897 that allowing the British to colonise and merge us people that thrive on betrayal was a bad idea, you guys suddenly realise that you want to separate?

You are just seeing what we saw in 1897 already and what even the SE say 70 years after us in 1967? Upon all the claimed education and sophistication? grin grin cheesy cheesy

Keep doing evostick gum because of oil and gas in the SS.

We fought the British head on and we still have 7 LGAs. Those that didn't have the liver to fight are now Hausa slaves. Even after your people are slaughtered, your god emilokan still asks "where are the cows?" grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

I sight you, we have many takpa people in Ondo, they now claim Ife origin too. grin cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin ;
grin grin grin
This wotowoto was too strong boss even his ancestors felt it in their rotten bones

1 Like

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by AutomaticMotors: 4:03am On Nov 30, 2022
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by AutomaticMotors: 4:04am On Nov 30, 2022
AreaFada2:

For our SW friends, Oba Osemwnde sacked Akure and chopped off Deji Arankale's head in 1818 due to Deji of Akure's insolence and murdering of Oba's emissary Chief Osague. They won't know that history of course.

Bro you too Ruthless and also funny to booth grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by samuk: 11:32am On Nov 30, 2022
UGBE634:
It was at this period, Ekiti state was later created in the south west, Ekiti state was created in 1996 . Ekiti state would have been agemates with the afemesan state. When you read that write up, you can see that the Otaru was lamenting heavily and fingered Anenih for it. https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/otaru-of-auchi-how-we-lost-out-in-the-bid-to-create-afemesan-state/&ved=2ahUKEwjpk5Ot_OL0AhWNxYUKHfaDDmoQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0LaFfDTyS-rnpL90Yyv0Qu

They did a ballot thing to choose between Esan and Etsako who will get the state capital and The first governor. The lots of the first governor fell on Esan people and the lots of capital fell on Etsako. Me I am fingering this as the reason why the state was not created, Anenih a strong Uromi man would not have allowed the capital of the new state go to Auchi when Uromi was there, and the position of governor was even rotational. He was able to convince them,(Esan traditional rulers to pull out. The Otaru clearly knew who did him wrong. The Oba did not play a major role here.

My focus is on the creation of local government which would have enabled development in several towns aside Benin city that Oba Eredieuwa was against.
Towns like Okada, Iguobazuwa, Ekiadolor, Ugo, Urhonigbe Abudu, Ehor, etc. You cannot compare Okada to any of the five major towns in Esanland , I have been there, they are fairly developed and inhabitable.

But the Oba did not allow the creation of more local government which would have championed development in these towns, because he knew with some form of independence and development, many of them would have charted their own course and history, e.g Okaevbo of Urhonigbe, the Olu-awure of Usen, the Esama of Benin with Okada and others. "Baba iri edo", has become a major slogan in other towns in Benin Kingdom. There is no place in Edo south,aside Benin city that a young promising Bini man can stay to live ,and hustle aside Benin city, which would not have been the case if more local government were created. These are the issues. The Oba of Benin in the early nineties in the bid to protect his interest did us wrong. It is even now that Obaseki has seen the wrong done to us, and is trying to decongest the city and create 14 new mini cities in Edo south and beyond that is at least enough for inhabitation.

In theory the creation of more local government areas and even states are supposed to take more development to the people however in Nigeria these were nothing but a way to share the national resources amongst the elites. How much development has come to the current 776 local government areas in the country, how many of the mushrooms states can survive without federal allocations.

Benin is the 4th largest city in Nigeria. Benin city is like Lagos. Even if Edo south were to have 20 local government areas, chances are all the local government chairmen will be resident in Benin City. How many Edo south local government chairmen past and present have houses in their local government.

Benin City has expanded into atleast 5 of the local government areas in Edo south, with a city like Benin, it can only grow to consume all around her. Benin city has all the trappings of a mega city, like Lagos but have not attracted the kind of federal resources that built Lagos and Kano, but without an international airport, Benin city international passport office is the second busiest in Nigeria behind Lagos. Imagine if Edo was receiving the kind of allocations Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Delta are receiving.

Benin will only grow more because of Obaseki's policies, with two modular refineries already completed, another two in the pipeline, Ossiomon independent power plant to provide 24 hours power supply to households and businesses being finalised, 1200km of fibre optics broadband Internet around the state, etc. When Benin city finally picked up, even city like warri, Agbor in Delta will loose their populations to Benin City. How many Benin people live in Delta state compared to Deltans living in Benin city.

My point is that with a city like Benin around, all other local government will at best be a country side for quiet living. People will always be attracted to cities like Benin.

The south east have five state and millions of resourceful people but none of their cities is as big as Benin city or Lagos, there are something Benin City have that only few locations in Nigeria have. The richest Igbo people and Nigerians leave in Lagos and the richest Edo south people will continue to leave Benin City which will continue to affect the rapid development of other areas Edo south local government areas except there are deliberate policies by government to open up these areas like what was done by yhe federal government in Abuja.

Finally, creation of more states or local government areas does not automatically means development of these areas, government policies is what developed an area. Lucky Igbinedion could have easily turn okada into developed town if he had the right policies in place. Today Obaseki in working on about 20 cities around Edo south in the state master plan, he didn't wait for this areas to become local government areas first.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 1:02pm On Nov 30, 2022
samuk:

In theory the creation of more local government areas and even states are supposed to take more development to the people however in Nigeria these were nothing but a way to share the national resources amongst the elites. How much development has come to the current 776 local government areas in the country, how many of the mushrooms states can survive without federal allocations.

Benin is the 4th largest city in Nigeria. Benin city is like Lagos. Even if Edo south were to have 20 local government areas, chances are all the local government chairmen will be resident in Benin City. How many Edo south local government chairmen past and present have houses in their local government.

Benin City has expanded into atleast 5 of the local government areas in Edo south, with a city like Benin, it can only grow to consume all around her. Benin city has all the trappings of a mega city, like Lagos but have not attracted the kind of federal resources that built Lagos and Kano, but without an international airport, Benin city international passport office is the second busiest in Nigeria behind Lagos. Imagine if Edo was receiving the kind of allocations Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Delta are receiving.

Benin will only grow more because of Obaseki's policies, with two modular refineries already completed, another two in the pipeline, Ossiomon independent power plant to provide 24 hours power supply to households and businesses being finalised, 1200km of fibre optics broadband Internet around the state, etc. When Benin city finally picked up, even city like warri, Agbor in Delta will loose their populations to Benin City. How many Benin people live in Delta state compared to Deltans living in Benin city.

My point is that with a city like Benin around, all other local government will at best be a country side for quiet living. People will always be attracted to cities like Benin.

The south east have five state and millions of resourceful people but none of their cities is as big as Benin city or Lagos, there are something Benin City have that only few locations in Nigeria have. The richest Igbo people and Nigerians leave in Lagos and the richest Edo south people will continue to leave Benin City which will continue to affect the rapid development of other areas Edo south local government areas except there are deliberate policies by government to open up these areas like what was done by yhe federal government in Abuja.

Finally, creation of more states or local government areas does not automatically means development of these areas, government policies is what developed an area. Lucky Igbinedion could have easily turn okada into developed town if he had the right policies in place. Today Obaseki in working on about 20 cities around Edo south in the state master plan, he didn't wait for this areas to become local government areas first.

Look at Esan west, They have just two towns there, Iruekpen and Ekpoma,it is just 512 km square far smaller than Urhonigbe. look at how fairly developed they are, and their populace reside there because it gives them a sense of belonging and it is independent from Benin city, as a result they build their houses there.
Benin-city would never expand into Urhonigbe, Ugo, Okada or Ehor, let's call a spade a spade.what is bad is bad, Let us not sugar coat things. These communities are so far off, it would have been better they develop from their town and then merge with Benin city. Let us analyze these things, Benin city proper is Oredo, Egor,Ikpoba okha, quite alright it has expanded Uhuwonde and Ovia north east. But it has only expanded a bit into them, at most ten percent, it would take a while for Benin city to expand into them fully, maybe 100 years or more,

Benin city proper- 1200 km square
Other towns she has expanded into, at most 1,100 km square of land, that would make her in all her years of expansion cover only about 12 percent of land in these two local government in Edo south

Uhuwonde- 2000 km square
Orhiowmon-2,300km square
Ovia north east- 2300 km square
Ovia south west- 2800 km square

In all of Benin city's glory, she would at most be the size of Ovia north east, in all her years of expansion, there are about 8,500 kilometers untouched land she would not expand into even in 100 years and it is a long time ahead. It would have been better these local government are created and they merge at the centre. Urhobo is about 5000 km square, and they have about 9 local government, look at how developed almost of Urhobo land is, and Benin land with about 8,000 kilometers square of land that is if you don't add Igbanke, Ijaws and some itsekiri communities, are just seven local government area housing these strange communities alongside even.

Edo south aside Benin city is the most "unurban" in the whole of the south south. And these are as a result of lack of local government in these areas that needed it. An Abraka man can stay in his Abraka, and not feel he is missing out anything when he is not in Sapele, the same thing with a man from Ughelli. The same thing with a man from Igueben would not feel he is missing out when he is not in Ekpoma. The importance of a local government for the over 30 years span that it would have been created cannot be underestimated. It would have spiralled development faster, and it would have led to Investment from the populace and building of houses and all.

An Urhonigbe man would not build a house in his place anymore because his mighty town with a ring road is relegated into two wards when it is more than qualified for a local government, and it is called "Igue" which means village in Edo dialect. He will instead build in Benin city, the same with the other towns in Edo south. Some of these towns are so far from Benin- city that it is safe to say I would have died before expansion gets there.

Look at the grace she enjoyed when she was a local government headquarter, just imagine what she would enjoy when she is made a local government. Nobody would want to invest in a two ward town, it is not promising

Okada would not even need Igbinedion's help f she was a separate local government alongside with the school that is there

2 Likes

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by samuk: 2:59pm On Nov 30, 2022
UGBE634:

Look at Esan west, They have just two towns there, Iruekpen and Ekpoma,it is just 512 km square far smaller than Urhonigbe. look at how fairly developed they are, and their populace reside there because it gives them a sense of belonging and it is independent from Benin city, as a result they build their houses there.
Benin-city would never expand into Urhonigbe, Ugo, Okada or Ehor, let's call a spade a spade.what is bad is bad, Let us not sugar coat things. These communities are so far off, it would have been better they develop from their town and then merge with Benin city. Let us analyze these things, Benin city proper is Oredo, Egor,Ikpoba okha, quite alright it has expanded Uhuwonde and Ovia north east. But it has only expanded a bit into them, at most ten percent, it would take a while for Benin city to expand into them fully, maybe 100 years or more,

Other towns she has expanded into, at most 1,100 km square of land, that would make her in all her years of expansion cover only about 12 percent of land in these two local government in Edo south

Uhuwonde- 2000 km square
Orhiowmon-2,300km square

In all of Benin city's glory, she would at most be the size of Ovia north east, in all her years of expansion, there are about 8,500 kilometers untouched land she would not expand into even in 100 years and it is a long time ahead. It would have been better these local government are created and they merge at the centre. Urhobo is about 5000 km square, and they have about 9 local government, look at how developed almost of Urhobo land is, and Benin land with about 8,000 kilometers of land with the exception of Igbanke, Ijaws and some itsekiri communities, are just seven local government area housing these strange communities alongside even.

Edo south aside Benin city is the most "unurban" in the whole of the south south. And these are as a result of lack of local government in these areas that needed it. An Abraka man can stay in his Abraka, and not feel he is missing out anything when he is not in Sapele, the same thing with a man from Ughelli. The same thing with a man from Igueben would not feel he is missing out when he is not in Ekpoma. The importance of a local government for the over 30 years span that it would have been created cannot be underestimated. It would have spiralled development faster, and it would have led to Investment from the populace and building of houses and all.

An Urhonigbe man would not build a house in his place anymore because his mighty town with a ring road is relegated into two wards when it is more than qualified for a local government, and it is called "Igue" which means village in Edo dialect. He will instead build in Benin city, the same with the other towns in Edo south. Some of these towns are so far from Benin- city that it is safe to say I would have died before expansion gets there.

Look at the grace she enjoyed when she was a local government headquarter, just imagine what she would enjoy when she is made a local government. Nobody would want to invest in a two ward town, it is not promising

Okada would not even need Igbinedion's help f she was a separate local government alongside with the school that is there

Oredo is not the only local government area in Edo south, what is holding the rest back. Like I said before Benin city will always be a huge magnet for Benin people and others, irrespective of how many local government areas you create out of Edo south Benin city will continue to be a huge cultural centre for every Benin person and all want to live there if they can afford it. There are numerous Benin diaspora from various local government that can develop their local communities but instead choose Benin City.

I don't know how well you know Benin 30 years ago, Benin city in the last thirty years have almost double in size and this is mostly because numerous Benin people in diaspora have become rich and pouring resources into the centre of their culture. A Benin person who can afford it will rather build a house in Benin city first before there local government, the same doesn't apply to other tribes.

It is Benin city first to the average Benin person irrespective of which local government he or she comes from. Esan, Urhobo, Afemai or Ika don't have such. A Benin person can have a house or multiple houses in Benin city and be satisfied without having any in his local government area. An Esan man will first think of building in his locality before venturing outside. Every Benin person wants to live in Benin city, creation of more local government areas in Edo south won't charge that. Edo south already have local government areas that are overshadowed by Benin city because Benin city is the cultural centre of Edo state.

If most Urhonigbe indigines in diaspora decide to build their houses in Urhonigbe, the place will develop.

Places like Amagba, oka, idogbo, Obagie, etc were all villages about 20 years ago. They are now flourishing towns, mostly because of Edo in diaspora investments in these areas, government is only trying to catch up now. All the Urhonigbe, okada, Ehor, etc in diaspora are the ones expanding developing Benin city into neighbouring villages, if they put similar efforts into their towns, they will be develop. Similar thing is happening in Lagos. If all Igbo that have helped to develop Lagos and Abuja, agree to develop a part of Igbo land, that land will be more develop than Lagos and Abuja even without federal government inputs.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2022
samuk:

Oredo is not the only local government area in Edo south, what is holding the rest back. Like I said before Benin city will always be a huge magnet for Benin people and others, irrespective of how many local government areas you create out of Edo south Benin city will continue to be a huge cultural centre for every Benin person and all want to live there [b]if they can afford it. [/b]There are numerous Benin diaspora from various local government that can develop their local communities but instead choose Benin City.

I don't know how well you know Benin 30 years ago, Benin city in the last thirty years have almost double in size and this is mostly because numerous Benin people in diaspora have become rich and pouring resources into the centre of their culture. A Benin person [b]who can afford it [/b]will rather build a house in Benin city first before there local government, the same doesn't apply to other tribes.

It is Benin city first to the average Benin person irrespective of which local government he or she comes from. Esan, Urhobo, Afemai or Ika don't have such. A Benin person can have a house or multiple houses in Benin city and be satisfied without having any in his local government area. An Esan man will first think of building in his locality before venturing outside. Every Benin person wants to live in Benin city, creation of more local government areas in Edo south won't charge that. Edo south already have local government areas that are overshadowed by Benin city because Benin city is the cultural centre of Edo state.

If most Urhonigbe indigines in diaspora decide to build their houses in Urhonigbe, the place will develop.

Places like Amagba, oka, idogbo, Obagie, etc were all villages about 20 years ago. They are now flourishing towns, mostly because of Edo in diaspora investments in these areas, government is only trying to catch up now. All the Urhonigbe, okada, Ehor, etc in diaspora are the ones expanding developing Benin city into neighbouring villages, if they put similar efforts into their towns, they will be develop. Similar thing is happening in Lagos. If all Igbo that have helped to develop Lagos and Abuja, agree to develop a part of Igbo land, that land will be more develop than Lagos and Abuja even without federal government inputs.
Benin is not so costly to get a land, aside the land money, every other item you get is the same amount. It is not a matter of affordability at all, it is not one even close to. Getting cement now, the company selling will not say because it is going to Urhonigbe or any of the other towns, it will now be cheaper, same with the other costs of building item. If they can construct roads in these places, give these towns light, give it a government presence and the perks that comes along with a government presence at least a good clinic, everywhere would want to stay there which brings us to the issue of local government, many people will want to stay there. If for example, you build a house in Urhonigbe and place it in rentage, nobody would want to rent these places or the cost of renting it will be so cheap, and that is bad business. It's about liveability my brother. The richest are not the majority at least there are fairly okay persons in terms of wealth who would want to build houses in their places and would build if these places are inhabitable. This has now neccesitated a scenario where everybody wants to stay in Benin city, Every Benin person want to stay in Benin because that is the place anyone can stay in Edo south as opposed to the other two tribes you mentioned who have an array of cities that are fairly better than each other. Both the extremely rich, the rich, the average or middle class. Because of easy access to facilities that are not in the other towns, healthcare services even mini ones, electricity and good roads

An urhobo or Esan man thinking to build house in his village first is not rocket science. It is because even their village is fairly developed and one can reside there. Almost all of Urhobo land is developed and it is where one can stay, why will an Urhobo man from any of these cities not build a house in his village. I can name about five towns, just in Urhobo land alone, I can even name more, e.g Warri, Sapele, Abraka, Oghara, Ughelli, these towns all have banks, health care facilities and good roads, and they are only fairly better than each other. What about Esanland, I can name other five, Ekpoma, Uromi, Irrua, Igueben and Ubiaja. These towns all have banks, healthcare facilities and good roads. What neccesitated these things, it was the creation of local government which neccesitated these groups to start investing in their place, as the population increased, banks opened branches in these areas, little eateries and exciting places to see. An Esan man now from Igueben will not go to Ekpoma to resolve issues, everything he needs in Ekpoma is in his place, why won't he stay there. That is why an Esan or Urhobo man will invest in his place because his place is fairly developed and inhabitable. As opposed to the Benins who have no other inhabitable city they can invest in. Cc samuk

They are too big big for a local government, Ovia south west is about the same size as the entire Esan land, just one local government and you expect it to thrive just the way Oredo that is mere 250 km square is thriving, you think the Oba that did not allow more local government did not know what he is doing, look at local government size within the city metropolis and look at local government size outside, then you will know why other local government are not thriving, they have so much size, Oredo is mere 250 km square, Egor is mere 93 km square and Ikpoba okha is 850 km square or thereabout, then look at local government outside, infact no local government outside the city centre is less than two thousand kilometers square, Oredo as a local government will enter into Ovia south west eleven times. Nobody would want to invest in a two ward town these towns has been relegated to the status of a village. Make these towns local government first and see if people won't invest there, it is a trickle down effect

The Amagba, Obagie and others you are talking about, it is because they are close to Benin. What about Urhonigbe, Ugo that are both 120 and 82 kilometers east of Benin. When will expansion ever get there. What about Okada and Ehor that are both 65 and 57 kilometers west and north of Benin city respectively when will expansion ever get there

Some people just need to be assured there is some level of government presense, not a town relegated to the backdoor of history. It is because some of their towns are not comfortable for inhabitation, those are some of the reasons why they don't invest there. Not everybody like the urban urban life, some would have settled in their town if it was fairly inhabitable.

With this development, the status of the town was further shored up as it attracted a lot of physical development. A lot of people, from Benin and its environs took up residence in the town [/b]thereby helping to give the town its larger than life image
[b]

what is the development, the fact that she (Urhonigbe)was made a local government headquarter, you cannot convince me otherwise let alone she is made a local government

They no longer take up residence in the town again because government presense has left there Urhonigbe is like the political capital of eastern Binis, if there is a local government in Urhonigbe today, many people from eastern Bini extraction will take up residence and it will hurriedly become the second largest town in Edo south. There are some things that comes along with a local government, e.g local government clinic etc when it was a local government headquarter, it was there that is why people took up residence in the town, it is no longer the case today! The headquarter was taken from Urhonigbe and these infrastructures died, the doctors left and the people that earlier left Benin to take up residence in this town went back to Benin. The importance of a local government in these towns that would have been created cannot be overemphasized. Cannot be Overstretched, Benin city is not the only town we have, others should have been left to develop too. If there is no government presense in a town at the very least, no body would want to go there or do anything there

My father was part of the Orhiowmon elders that had wanted an Urhonigbe and Ugo alone local government, it was rejected. Even at the time, the present Ovia north east was created, and the headquarter taken to Okada, elders from Ekiadolor and environ complained that Okada is far from them, that they need a secretariat that is easily accessible, that a separate local government should be created for communities in around Ekiadolor and a capital be situated at Ekiadolor, it was also rejected. There are only two terms now to refer to towns in Benin Kingdom, "Edo" and "Igue" the city which is Edo and every other towns in Benin Kingdom is refered to as "Igue" which means village.

Walahi if they make Urhonigbe a local government today, Benin city would reduce in size tremendously you will see how we from eastern Bini will join hands and develop it. It will become a beautiful haven for us in the eastern flank. That is what the Oba does not want. He want undiluted attention and development in his own city. Twenty- five to thirty percent of Binis will actually leave Benin city for Urhonigbe. That is why the headquarter was relocated from Urhonigbe to Abudu. He knows with economic strength in these towns, these kings will begin to chart their course and history

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by Ologbo147: 8:05pm On Dec 02, 2022
UGBE634:

Uhuwonde- 2000 km square
Orhiowmon-2,300km square

In all of Benin city's glory, she would at most be the size of Ovia north east, in all her years of expansion, there are about 8,500 kilometers untouched land she would not expand into even in 100 years and it is a long time ahead. It would have been better these local government are created and they merge at the centre. Urhobo is about 5000 km square, and they have about 9 local government, look at how developed almost of Urhobo land is, and Benin land with about 8,000 kilometers square of land that is if you don't add Igbanke, Ijaws and some itsekiri communities, are just seven local government area housing these strange communities alongside even.

It is a lie o, Benin city is certainly more than 2,300 km square, it should be around 2,800km square now. it is a process in the next five years Benin city would have expanded into Ekiadolor strongly and eaten her up greatly urbanizing her. With the Plans Obaseki has in place, Benin city would increase to about 4,000 km square strongly in ten years, eaten up Abudu on the eastern flank just the way she has eaten up Idogbo. As the centre gets filled up, there is a continuous sprawl into neighbouring communities, there is no vacuum in nature. I understand your point that we should have made plans for the furthest communities, it is What it is. As he said, Benin city is like lagos now, a town of towns, a wildfire.

Every comedian now is coming to Benin city for shows, the financial strength of Benin city today can only be matched by lagos.

Ologbo is on the southern flank and at most, seven years, Benin city must have eaten Ologbo

4 Likes

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by samuk: 11:22am On Dec 03, 2022
Ologbo147:
It is a lie o, Benin city is certainly more than 2,300 km square, it should be around 2,800km square now. it is a process in the next five years Benin city would have expanded into Ekiadolor strongly and eaten her up greatly urbanizing her. With the Plans Obaseki has in place, Benin city would increase to about 4,000 km square strongly in ten years, eaten up Abudu on the eastern flank just the way she has eaten up Idogbo. As the centre gets filled up, there is a continuous sprawl into neighbouring communities, there is no vacuum in nature. I understand your point that we should have made plans for the furthest communities, it is What it is. As he said, Benin city is like lagos now, a town of towns, a wildfire.

Every comedian now is coming to Benin city for shows, the financial strength of Benin city today can only be matched by lagos.

Ologbo is on the southern flank and at most, seven years, Benin city must have eaten Ologbo

You are very current with what is going on, those that understand what Benin City is about turn into is already positioning themselves to take huge advantage. Lagos is the only pointer to a future Benin city in Nigeria. Like I said before, there is no city in the south east has big as Benin City, no city in south south as big as Benin city, only Ibadan is bigger in south west besides Lagos, only Kano is bigger than Benin city in the North. Benin-city is currently the fourth largest city in Nigeria, only Lagos will be able to compete with her in the next 20 years with Obaseki's plans being implemented.

Ekiadolor Road is being done to link up with old Akure Road.

As a result of Obaseki's reforms, Edo Igr have grown from about 3 billion naira under Lucky Igbinedion to abou 40 billion with a projection of 60 billion naira next year, 50% increase in a year. Unfortunately for some indigines, very few actually understand what is going on, all the big guys are already landing from Lagos. The second phase of Benin city reborn (home for elites, mostly second homes for none resident business people) is already sold out with four more on the pipeline in various design stages.

The guy that brought shoperite to Nigeria said his Jara stores in Benin City is the second most profitable stores in Nigeria after Lagos.

Benin city passport office is the second busiest in Nigeria after Lagos according to the interior minister.

Edo state recently worn the best state with independent power project in Nigeria and this is even before 24 hours Ossiomon power get to private individuals, currently most industries and few private individuals are already enjoying 24 hours power supply from Ossiomon power.

Plans are in place in the immediate to complete the Benin city bypass making the inner city a 40 miles radius. The current distance from the centre of the city to the halve that has been completed is 20 miles, you can check this out on Google map, when fully completed, one end to the other will be 40 miles.

Benin city to Lagos is 196.6 miles. There are plans in place to extend inner Benin city to 40 miles, about a fifty the distance from Benin city to Lagos.

More Benin people with the resources will continue to see Benin as first choice irrespective of the number of extra local government areas created in Edo south, Benin city will only grow out into other Edo south towns.
Re: Fact About Pa Idu by UGBE634: 1:15pm On Dec 03, 2022
samuk:

You are very current with what is going on, those that understand what Benin City is about turn into is already positioning themselves to take huge advantage. Lagos is the only pointer to a future Benin city in Nigeria. Like I said before, there is no city in the south east has big as Benin City, no city in south south as big as Benin city, only Ibadan is bigger in south west besides Lagos, only Kano is bigger than Benin city in the North. Benin-city is currently the fourth largest city in Nigeria, only Lagos will be able to compete with her in the next 20 years with Obaseki's plans being implemented.

As a result of Obaseki's reforms, Edo Igr have grown from about 3 billion naira under Lucky Igbinedion to abou 40 billion with a projection of 60 billion naira next year, 50% increase in a year. Unfortunately for some indigines, very few actually understand what is going on, all the big guys are already landing from Lagos. The second phase of Benin city reborn (home for elites, mostly second homes for none resident business people) is already sold out with four more on the pipeline in various design stages.

The guy that brought shoperite to Nigeria said his Jara stores in Benin City is the second most profitable stores in Nigeria after Lagos.

Benin city passport office is the second busiest in Nigeria after Lagos according to the interior minister.

Edo state recently worn the best state with independent power project in Nigeria and this is even before 24 hours Ossiomon power get to private individuals, currently most industries and few private individuals are already enjoying 24 hours power supply from Ossiomon power.

Plans are in place in the immediate to complete the Benin city bypass making the inner city a 40 miles radius. The current distance from the centre of the city to the halve that has been completed is 20 miles, you can check this out on Google map, when fully completed, one end to the other will be 40 miles.

Benin city to Lagos is 196.6 miles. There are plans in place to extend inner Benin city to 40 miles, about a fifty the distance from Benin city to Lagos.

More Benin people with the resources will continue to see Benin as first choice irrespective of the number of extra local government areas created in Edo south, Benin city will only grow out into other Edo south towns.
But some of them are already building in their towns, and it would have been far more than this if there were more local government. Let us leave the issue, I don't want us to keep washing our dirty linens outside. I was trying to educate that boy that Benin land and people were qualified both in landmass and population to accommodate twelve local government as it was to be created then, it was even in the course of the discussion he learnt about the proper landmass of Edo state. I was already tired with the seven local government talk they were belittling us with when I knew in total what happened why we have seven local government today.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by AreaFada2: 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2022
samuk:

Benin City's development was badly thwarted from 1983 until mid 2007. When military governors without ties to Edo and the very poor performing Lucky were in charge. Marwa that performed well is a Lagos boy (early education in SE and SW, like many military kids) despite his Northern origin. Before people quote his example in Lagos.

Before that, Benin was a pivotal political and meeting City in 9ja with Lagos, Ibadan, Enugu, Kaduna and Kano. That Benin always had many hotels and bars is due to its history of hosting many guests and travellers. Kaduna Nzeogwu's retirement dream was to have a nice hotel in Benin, according to his friend OBJ and others.

Benin is very strategic in location and a visionary governor can do a lot with it. But most of our people in 9ja care mostly about today. Vision and future are too farfetched. Poverty for some and greed for others are the main reasons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fact About Pa Idu by samuk: 1:29pm On Dec 03, 2022
AreaFada2:

Benin City's development was badly thwarted from 1983 until mid 2007. When military governors without ties to Edo and the very poor performing Lucky were in charge. Marwa that performed well is a Lagos boy (early education in SE and SW, like many military kids) despite his Northern origin. Before people quote his example in Lagos.

Before that, Benin was a pivotal political and meeting City in 9ja with Lagos, Ibadan, Enugu, Lagos, Kaduna and Kano. That Benin always had many hotels and bars is due to its history of hosting many guests and travellers. Kaduna Nzeogwu's retirement dream was to have a nice hotel in Benin, according to his friend OBJ and others.

Benin is very strategic in location and a visionary governor can do a lot with it. But most of our people in 9ja care mostly about today. Vision and future are too farfetched. Poverty for some and greed for others are the main reasons.

Obaseki seems to be on the right track with his policies. Hopefully he will put plans in place for continuity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

igbo Masquerades / Where Are My Hausa Speaking Nairalanders? Please Come In Let's Have A Talk. / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 321
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.