Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise (49956 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / 31-Year-Old Landlady: 'I Built This House With My Money, Not With My Body' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by greggng: 8:48am On Dec 15, 2021
NCE1:
I'm currently having issues in the place I stay, I am a student that rented an apartment close to school, and ever since this landlady and her children have been a thorn in my flesh and even other neighbors.

Let me narrate what happened.
I'm not a perfect grammar person and please read to the end.

In the place I stay, there's a well we fetch water from, so last week Sunday the well was locked up, which was very unusual... It was locked up from morning till night, nobody in the compound could access water.. I couldn't cook nor bath, so in the evening I decided to go ask the landlady why the well was locked and ask for the key so I can get water.

On getting to the landlady's place, I greeted her and asked calmly why the well was locked up, before I knew what was happening her son came out and told me to get out of there... I was very shocked and surprised, that I came to ask for the key to the well and he just tells me to walk out like that.

I told him I'm here to ask why the well was locked and collect the key, and that I cannot just walk out like that.

Before I knew what was happening, the boy started getting aggressive and he was threatening that he would kill me and was making all sort of threats, before I knew it... He attacked me, both the mom and the son with their last daughter.

They pushed me to the wall, which I sustained an injury at the back of my hand, the landlady was trying to get me naked by pulling the short I was wearing... I wore this short because I wanted to collect the key, fetch water and take my bathe.

So as she was trying to pull down my shorts and get me naked, I had to bite her a little so she could release her hand from my shorts.

The neighbors gathered because of the noise and saw the three of them against me.
Then I left there and went and open the well which they padlocked, then they came down and insisted that nobody would use the well.

It was then that someone told me the reason why they locked the well was because the son of the landlady had an issue with someone early in the morning while the both of them were fetching water and he locked up the well to deal with the person... Thus causing inconveniences for the remaining tenants.

The next day they(landlady and her son) went to the police to report the matter.

And they lied to the police that they locked up the well because the tenants were polluting the well.
Then they reported that I came to their house to attack them and I bite her.

Then the police came and took me and the neighbor that had disagreement with the son that resulted in them locking up the well.

We left the police station that same day and we went back in two days time for interview..
At the interview the police asked us to settle the matter amicably, but they proposed that they want to go to court and if we don't want to go to the court, that we'll have to pay the sum of 50k.

The 50k is for the money she used to treat herself, which is a lie. One of the neighbor in the compound overheard her making arrangements with a pharmacist to manipulate the bill of drugs she got.

And aside that, up till now they have refused to open the well for the whole compound to use, but they themselves are still using it, despite claiming that it was polluted.

Now my Daddy had to call her and beg and he told her to calm down that he would pay her 15k but she refused, that it's the 50k or we go to court.

Now my question is.

Was I wrong in the first place for going to ask of the key to the well that was locked up without proper information of why it was locked, and this well is the well we've been using since we packed in?

The second question is, if we go to the court now, what are the penalties I would have to face if I was wrong?

And finally, is it right for a Landlady to lock up the well that everyone uses because of an issue with one of the tenants?

This place is in Enugu State.
Thank you as make you various wise inputs.

Education gives you and edge against someone who is not educated . The way we handle issues speak volume about our upbringing . Everything is not gra gra . Granted she locked up the water source . What are our options . You may report to people close to your land lady to beg on you guys behave . Utilmatey you may report to the police or even go to the traditional ruler of the place. Confronting them in their home is like digging your own grave
My advice is to find a way to settle them and pack out of that house . Is not advisable living in a house where landlord Iives. It takes me 7 years before I started finding peace from my landlady. Only men with strong shock absorber can be like me . Others waited patients while you are the one with the gut to confront her ...you don't go yo war alone otherwise you might end up dead and nobody can even know what happened too your body.. be wise

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Remman(m): 8:48am On Dec 15, 2021
Try and gather evidence. If the case gets to the court. There will be witnesses. Your neighbours will need to say what happened or what they observed. The judge is not a fool (unless bribed). Your landlady will definitely loose the case. But if the matter gets to court, you will need to pack out of that compound. The thing is, once the case gets to court, both opponents will be enemies and based on the lies that will be brought up by the lawyers doing their job, enemity between both parties will be intensed.

Women are driven by emotions and not reasoning. So, she may end up paying people that may hurt you. Be wise. Use that money for court or the 50k and pack out of that compound. This is a temptation.

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Foolishbuhari: 8:48am On Dec 15, 2021
Crimpsy:
op, what u did is not wrong

From the bolded u asked politely, meaning u are on the right track

Fight it Now and Win, if not your remaining Days in that house will be miserable

First impression they say matters, if u deal with them now properly

They will give u your Full respect

Clear matter!
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by lilyheaven: 8:48am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

quiet your mouth, your own still dey your body.
after you bite her finish, you still get mind go open the well.

you won form jaguda bah.

it be like the woman pickin na small boy, left to me...na just me alone.

who give you right to go open the well for my papa compound when I lock, you go tell me.

the judging you judged na from your side.

I go still like here from their side.

because I definitely know, you went there to form vuga for person house when you dey stay.
you didn't go there to ask politely.

how you go fight person just now for him property, you still gather mind go open the well.

the woman pickin na small boy na make.

this one nor supposed to be police matter.

Why would you Deny him asses to water, is he not paying his rent?
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 15, 2021
The woman is a troublesome and all her children that don't have future will leave that house and experience what's it mean to be tenant, police understand what's happening just keep calm with them and don't make any attempt to pay money
If any Landlady or Landlord try it with me if he/ she survive it mean God loves the person

1 Like

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Perfecttouch(m): 8:49am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

you won form jaguda bah.

who give you right to go open the well for my papa compound when I lock, you go tell me.

because I definitely know, you went there to form vuga for person house when you dey stay.

how you go fight person just now for him property, you still gather mind go open the well.

nairaland is breeding alot of mentally deranged people

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by LadyMedina25(f): 8:49am On Dec 15, 2021
You need a good lawyer to teach this people a good lesson.. If you know that you are right do not fear
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Pharaoh4rin(m): 8:50am On Dec 15, 2021
Go and buy a second padlock, a bigger, uglier padlock and lock it and throw the keys faaarrrr away.

Insist on going to court even if other tenants are recalcitrant.

or better still go and buy otapiapia and

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Shusher: 8:50am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

you won form jaguda bah.

Shut up!

He paid his rent and he doesn't need to be polite to access water, it's a given right as long as he isn't damaging the source of water.

My father also has a compound and we don't lord over the tenants like gods.

Stupid Nigerian mentality. Spits.

3 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by aikyg(m): 8:51am On Dec 15, 2021
Do not live in the same house with the landlord or landlady. It's a no no.
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Doyou2019: 8:51am On Dec 15, 2021
3plet:
This is a case of wickedness &intimidation.
I subscribe to op going to court.

police would charge to court depending on statements from both sides

How can you lock a well claiming to the police it was poisoned ,how landlady wan defend this statement . there is also a video evidence of her fetching from the supposed poisoned well,
who would drink of a poisoned well? I no be lawyer oo but I suppose intention matters in law.
This is just pure wickedness&intimidation

The landlady here not only locked the well but also lied to the police the well was poisoned.

Op that woman must produce whoever that poisoned the well .

Judge Judy go eat that landlady up, if this useless case was presented to her.
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by marsup: 8:52am On Dec 15, 2021
NCE1:

I did a video of that today.
Go to court. Tell them you are ready to go to court, make sure all the other tenants are called as witnesses. But u have to be very careful, if possible leave the house, and make sure no one you know, rents an apartment from there.
Good luck.
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Pharaoh4rin(m): 8:52am On Dec 15, 2021
Yinkakolawole:
Some landlady are spiritual, so u fight spiritual too. Get your bible, get a small bowls of water, get a stone, get a feathers or incense, get a candle. These are d 4elements of the world. Woke up in the midnight 12pm, open psalm 35 & read 7times, tender ur request unto GOD, call on the angels of the 4elements to fight for you. do this for 7days, exactly 8days they will call u & make peace with you.

Children of Cherubim and seraphim. Tufiakwa
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Telebin: 8:52am On Dec 15, 2021
Your landlady is evil. Pack out of that compound before they kill u
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Shusher: 8:53am On Dec 15, 2021
NCE1:
I'm currently having issues in the place I stay, I am a student that rented an apartment close to school, and ever since this landlady and her children have been a thorn in my flesh and even other neighbors.

In the place I stay, there's a well we fetch water from, so last week Sunday the well was locked up, which was very unusual... It was locked up from morning till night, nobody in the compound could access water.. I couldn't cook nor bath, so in the evening I decided to go ask the landlady why the well was locked and ask for the key so I can get water.

On getting to the landlady's place, I greeted her and asked calmly why the well was locked up, before I knew what was happening her son came out and told me to get out of there... I was very shocked and surprised, that I came to ask for the key to the well and he just tells me to walk out like that.

I told him I'm here to ask why the well was locked and collect the key, and that I cannot just walk out like that.

Before I knew what was happening, the boy started getting aggressive and he was threatening that he would kill me and was making all sort of threats, before I knew it... He attacked me, both the mom and the son with their last daughter.

They pushed me to the wall, which I sustained an injury at the back of my hand, the landlady was trying to get me naked by pulling the short I was wearing... I wore this short because I wanted to collect the key, fetch water and take my bathe.

So as she was trying to pull down my shorts and get me naked, I had to bite her a little so she could release her hand from my shorts.

The neighbors gathered because of the noise and saw the three of them against me.
Then I left there and went and open the well which they padlocked, then they came down and insisted that nobody would use the well.

It was then that someone told me the reason why they locked the well was because the son of the landlady had an issue with someone early in the morning while the both of them were fetching water and he locked up the well to deal with the person... Thus causing inconveniences for the remaining tenants.

The next day they(landlady and her son) went to the police to report the matter.

And they lied to the police that they locked up the well because the tenants were polluting the well.

Then the police came and took me and the neighbor that had disagreement with the son that resulted in them locking up the well.

We left the police station that same day and we went back in two days time for interview..
At the interview the police asked us to settle the matter amicably, but they proposed that they want to go to court and if we don't want to go to the court, that we'll have to pay the sum of 50k.

The 50k is for the money she used to treat herself, which is a lie. One of the neighbor in the compound overheard her making arrangements with a pharmacist to manipulate the bill of drugs she got.

And aside that, up till now they have refused to open the well for the whole compound to use, but they themselves are still using it, despite claiming that it was polluted.

Now my Daddy had to call her and beg and he told her to calm down that he would pay her 15k but she refused, that it's the 50k or we go to court.

Now my question is.

Was I wrong in the first place for going to ask of the key to the well that was locked up without proper information of why it was locked, and this well is the well we've been using since we packed in?

The second question is, if we go to the court now, what are the penalties I would have to face if I was wrong?

And finally, is it right for a Landlady to lock up the well that everyone uses because of an issue with one of the tenants?

Tell them you want to go to court and watch the dynamics change. She might even want to withdraw the case.

I only hope you didn't go back to assault her after the initial fight, if so you might just lose the case.

You bit her in self defence, she can never wim that case.

You might just spend some money for court proceedings and all but she is likely to be fined and pay you money for damages.

1 Like

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by hardbody: 8:54am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

you won form jaguda bah.

When kids are given techno fones and not screened before joining Nairaland this is what you get.

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Jamesbiodun(m): 8:54am On Dec 15, 2021
Seriously na did kind of matter I like, let the case go to court angry they and the police are trying to play shit with you... Go to the police station very early in the morning and see the DPO with your evidence... I hope the DPO is not dirty sha.... I go kukuma go kill rat and throw it in the well make everything balance grin grin grin
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by descarado: 8:55am On Dec 15, 2021
NCE1:

This is a good one,
Thank you.
You are not wise.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

When you went to the house and you were told to leave, just leave. Go and fetch water elsewhere.
U all as tenants will collectively solve the problem.

Others don't have water too. You are now involving your innocent daddy. When you want to be stubborn,do that in a cause that will favour you.

3 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Digmygold: 8:56am On Dec 15, 2021
I hope you are not just trivialising the bite. How serious is it?

Next time don't approach her alone. Do so with co-tenants who can stand in as witnesses. Now its them against ONLY you.

Don't ever get involved in a fight or assault. You should have gone to report them first when they assaulted you instead of biting her.They would have been at the receiving end not you.

If you can prove you were assaulted too. Do so.

If you can prove that you did what you did in a bid to defend yourself and because you were provoked, do so.

I can assure you that the Police is involved in that 50k they are asking for and they have a ready set "Sharing Formula".

I will advice you to find a way to settle out of Court but don't pay the 50k. Tell them.you don't have.

They most likely don't want to go to Court too. They just want to exploit the opportunity you gave to them by stooping low to their level, getting into a brawl.

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by seguno2: 8:56am On Dec 15, 2021
INCREDIBLE007:

My brother

The bible said, a fool when he keeps quiet is considered wise.

Your life is worth more than bucket of water.

Get your water in the neighborhood to bath and do what you intend doing.

When there is life , there is hope

If Jesus Christ followed your advice, you won’t be referring to the Bible, would you
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Princedapace(m): 8:56am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

you won form jaguda bah.

Like seriously? He paid for the house he is staying. Not free.
When he paid, he paid for the water supply as well. Omo, people dey mad for this country o. Can u imagine comment.

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Iliveforever(m): 8:57am On Dec 15, 2021
NCE1:

Now my question is.

The best option here is stubbornness..
This case is a bailable offense so the court won’t take it serious.

Tell them to take it to court. I’m ashamed you’re scared and I’ll even get angry or attack you if you pay her 1 kobo.
Let them go to court and you’ll see how they’ll run away. They’ll first consider the money they’ll use and open a case in court, their lawyer fees and time it will take to get justice..
Just relax, if you can go to your neighborhood and fetch water, no problem

1 Like

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by GorillaApp(m): 8:57am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

I dey type sense.

it take normal human being to understand.

I can bet on my balls the op didn't go there to ask politely or request for the reason why it was locked.

after the fight.

he said he still went to open the well.

that nor supposed tell you say the op get him own for body?

if you get sense You supposed weigh 2 odds
You are truly clueless. Nigeria mentality don chop Una brain. The landlady has no right to lock up her well under such flimsy excuse and if there is any reasonable reason to, she ought to inform every tenant about the proposed lockdown.
The op has a right to go find out what happened that led to a locked well and has every right to defend himself. Law wey some of Una no know they almost turn some of you guys to tyrant and beast.

Op, don't give that woman a kobo. Tell her to go to court.
I remembered when my former landlord took me to court. I was just laughing! Na even him own lawyer call me for back come dey brief me Wetin to talk for court as I refused to take a lawyer and insisted on defending my self( don't try this o). My landlord lawyer know say him client just want to oppress me but the lawyer must chop na grin
Before we appear for court, him go call me privately and we go harmonize our positions and he will tell me what to respond.
Las las, my landlord still call me and we settle. Court ask me how much time I need to move out.
This na person wey give me 7 days to leave before grin

Finally, for your peace of mind, if you can afford it, leave that compound before person die

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Comedian2019: 8:57am On Dec 15, 2021
You need to leave that compound if you know you can't do them strong thing. Those people are animals. I have people with similar behavior in my compound. They don't change. Rather than pay them 50k, discuss with your parents and look for another accommodation. That house is a wrong place. For the sake of your career, pls leave that God-forsaken house.
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Respect55(m): 8:57am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

you won form jaguda bah.

Are you just a retard or trying to be one?

1 Like

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by descarado: 8:57am On Dec 15, 2021
marsup:
Go to court. Tell them you are ready to go to court, make sure all the other tenants are called as witnesses. But u have to be very careful, if possible leave the house, and make sure no one you know, rents an apartment from there.
Good luck.
You will be surprised they will decline. They didn't come to that place to go to court.
Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by akpunda86: 8:58am On Dec 15, 2021
NCE1:

Now my question is.

Bros u fall ✋.For this Enugu,u Lucky say landlady gree u dey fetch her well,In Enugu u pay for accommodation and not well oga.mine here rainy season everybody free to use it but once dry season enter OYO,
U made a mistake biting her,if she pulls down ur boxer Ahh Na bad thing unless u get a pencil gbola.
Bros kindly go apologise to your Landlady my guy as she own dat house Na ur head 4 dat compound so got to accord her respect.
You have no right going to her flat to ask her why lock well u didn't pay for nor dug for her,wat u paid for was room,ur source of water OYO.
Go prostrate and say mummy I'm sorry forgive me and enjoy ur tenancy.
Ciao

3 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Iliveforever(m): 8:59am On Dec 15, 2021
NCE1:
Please if you know any practicing Lawyer on nl, help me tag them here. Thank you.
I’m a lawyer and I just told you to keep calm and if possible go and buy a chilled bottle of Heineken and relax. Na today we begin see cases like this

1 Like

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by ramatintin(m): 9:00am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

you won form jaguda bah.

i see same trait of the land lady and her son in this your write up no wonder your Papa no gree build compound.

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Kenneth10110(m): 9:00am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

you won form jaguda bah.

you were expected to have sense please

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Myke99: 9:01am On Dec 15, 2021
motymop:

What is this one typing

Oga keep quite.. you’re talking all the rubbish

1 Like

Re: Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise by Comedian2019: 9:02am On Dec 15, 2021
KiNg0G:

I dey type sense.

it take normal human being to understand.

I can bet on my balls the op didn't go there to ask politely or request for the reason why it was locked.

after the fight.

he said he still went to open the well.

that nor supposed tell you say the op get him own for body?

if you get sense You supposed weigh 2 odds
OP is a tenant, not a begger. How do you expect a young man who has not eaten nor bathed the whole day to ask politely? Are the family supposed to behave like beasts in the first place?
Stop this your Nigerian slave mentality. That water is definitely one of the reasons the tenants paid rent. So it's their right to fetch, not a privilege.
Those beasts of a family are fortunate they didn't try it with someone like me. They would be begging by now. If you know

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / Latest Pictures Of Eko Atlantic International Commerce City, Will Shock You / Lagos Building Collapse: A Twitter User Complained About The Building 4 Days Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.