Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,424 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means (12478 Views)

The Wages Of Sin / Dorime: Here Is What Era's ‘ameno’ Really Means, It's Not Really Demonic / What Happens When A Believer "Dies In Sin"? A Biblical Exposition Of What Sin Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 7:38pm On Jan 02, 2022
uuzba:
Heaven = life
Hell = death
Wage = payment/salary
Sin = bad things against God's will.
-
You keep on Sinning, you will collect your salary for sinning.
What you have above resonates more with Old Covenant Law of Moses which Paul did indeed reference when he made that statement of his, except that there is no Heaven promised those of the Old Covenant - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20 undecided

Ofcourse, the formulae Jesus Christ gave us is entirely different from the Old Covenant Law of Moses. ..

Heaven - Eternal reward
Hell - Eternal damnation
Sin - disobedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Jan 02, 2022
Nonywendy:
that passage was talking about second death.
No it wasn't at all. Paul was making a comparison between the Old Covenant reward for Sin aka Death and the New Covenant. undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Offpoint1: 8:19pm On Jan 02, 2022
TenQ:

Because of people like you, the Lord Jesus never spoke without using parables to illustrate the kingdom of God and exposition of the Father.

You make a big misconception about God. We are NOT all God's children. Here are the sons/children of God
John 1:12-13:
"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

Can you see that we are NOT all children of God!?

There is not such thing as spiritual death!?
Eph 2:5:
"that even though we were spiritually dead and doomed by our sins, he gave us back our lives again when he raised Christ from the dead--only by his undeserved favor have we ever been saved--"

Col 2:13:
" You were dead in sins, and your sinful desires were not yet cut away. Then he gave you a share in the very life of Christ, for he forgave all your sins,"

Col 3:1:
" Since you became alive again, so to speak, when Christ arose from the dead, now set your sights on the rich treasures and joys of heaven where he sits beside God in the place of honor and power."

Is there still nothing like spiritual death as found in your bible?

Being cut off is the true definition of death.
When the Soul/Spirit is cut off from the Body, we have Physical Death

When a person's Spirit is cut off from God from God. This is spiritual death and we were all born spiritually alienated from God.

When a Person's Body, Soul and Spirit is eternally cut off from God, this is called the second Death.

It is a delusion and self deception to assume that all men are children of God!

I hope you understand the scripture below?
Rom 8:5-9:
"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."
Lol" We are not all God children" gringrin
Last I remember no Bible page made reference to the Devil having the ability to create/give life.
Last I remember Genesis stated God created EVERYTHING...
Saying some aren't God's kid is same thing as saying they aren't God creation.

Define what you understand by "Spirit"
And define what you understand by "Dead"

Spirit can't die, hence you don't see nowhere in the Bible were is stated the devil will be killed or is dead... No human has committed more atrocities than the devil and yet he's not "spiritual dead"

The problem is most you guys don't understand what you read
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by awoluyi(m): 8:38pm On Jan 02, 2022
All human beings are conceived and born in sin, and therefore liable to die. Hence the "wages of sin is physical death."
In John 3:16, it's written that "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not PERISH, but have eternal life."
It is made clear in the above that every siner who repents and believes in the redemptive woks Jesus Christ came to do on earth, though he or she will still die the physical death but will not perish.
This brings us to the full knowledge of "from the first Adam, death came and from the second Adam (Jesus Christ) we receive eternal life.
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On Jan 02, 2022
awoluyi:
1. All human beings are conceived and born in sin, and therefore liable to die. Hence the "wages of sin is physical death."...
1. Wrong! We are, all of us, born condemned by God's judgement against sin, but we are not, all of us, born in sin. And this is because only those who are under Law or bound to God's Law commit sin, and it is God's Old Covenant, God's agreement with those who have the blood of Jacob coursing through their veins, that stipulates Death as penalty for Sin - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20 . undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by romoruyi(m): 8:55pm On Jan 02, 2022
The wages of sin is death

Sin is not what kills a man but the man not having access to the tree of life (Genesis 3:22).

Sin is an entity which itself shall be judged and the soul which sinneth also shall be put to the death. That death being referred to is the second death which is permanent. (Read Revelations)

The only way a man or a soul can be saved from this death is by receiving Jesus. And you have to receive Jesus now that you are alive in the flesh so that death will not take unawares.
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Solofresh2: 9:01pm On Jan 02, 2022
Kobojunkie:
There is nothing like Spiritual Death or being cut off from the Holy Spirit as the source of Life. undecided

And the statement in bold above has no bearing as far as the Truth of God. undecided
But the Bible states that "fear not the one that can kill the body but fear the one that can kill both the body and the soul"this means there can be spiritual death since the soul can be killed undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by TenQ: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2022
Offpoint1:

Lol" We are not all God children" gringrin
Last I remember no Bible page made reference to the Devil having the ability to create/give life.
Last I remember Genesis stated God created EVERYTHING...
Saying some aren't God's kid is same thing as saying they aren't God creation.
I'm not surprised you didn't read my last post. Isn't there a difference between God's Creation and God's Children?

Some people desire a soft fluffy Teddy Bear kind of God, unfortunately He isn't.

Rev 20:11:
"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them."

Offpoint1:

Define what you understand by "Spirit"
And define what you understand by "Dead"

Spirit can't die, hence you don't see nowhere in the Bible were is stated the devil will be killed or is dead... No human has committed more atrocities than the devil and yet he's not "spiritual dead"

The problem is most you guys don't understand what you read
You first said spiritual death doesn't exist. I've shown you with scriptures if you cared to read.

Spirits don't ever CEASE to exist. They are CUT OFF (second Death).
You are the one misunderstanding the nature of death. If you had read to understand, you would have known.

Exactly why Satan and his hosts (who are also spirits) are thrown into the Lake of Fire: which is the second Death. The lake of fire is NOT a place of annihilation, it is a prison for those who are disconnected eternally from God.

A Spirit is a non material personality!

Dead: something disconnected from its source of power.
Eg. Dead engine
Dead person
Dead animal

The context of the source of power determines the nature of the kind of death!
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by HacheNoire: 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Where in the New Testament where you told any of God's Laws was or can be abolished? undecided

I am not so don't think I share your confusions as far as scripture is concerned. undecided

Let’s start with “An eye for an eye” in the Old Testament

A just revenge was approved in the Old Testament.

Tell me about it
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2022
Solofresh2:
But the Bible states that "fear not the one that can kill the body but fear the one that can kill both the body and the soul"this means there can be spiritual death since the soul can be killed undecided
Please try to pay attention to who actually said what in scripture. The Bible has never said anything to anyone. undecided

Jesus Christ is the one who instructed His followers to fear God, the one who is indeed able to destroy both body and soul. undecided

The soul of man is not spirit. When Adam was cursed, God's decree that from dust he was created and to dust he would return applied even to his soul. Adam was created of the physical clay of this world and when he perished his soul was returned to the clay of this earth. undecided

It is only those who are born-again that are born from spirit and when they die, their soul and spirit sleep in the earth awaiting resurrection when Jesus Christ returns to raise and judge His flock- John 3 vs 4-8 & John 5 vs 19 - 29 undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 11:12pm On Jan 02, 2022
HacheNoire:
Let’s start with “An eye for an eye” in the Old Testament
A just revenge was approved in the Old Testament.
Tell me about it
What in the world is there to tell you about God's Approval of the law for the Nation of Israel? The entire Old Covenant was God's agreement as delivered to those who have the blood of Jacob coursing through their veins meant as Law in the Kingdom of Canaan - The Constitution. undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Solofresh2: 11:19pm On Jan 02, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Please try to pay attention to who actually said what in scripture. The Bible has never said anything to anyone. undecided

Jesus Christ is the one who instructed His followers to fear God, the one who is indeed able to destroy both body and soul. undecided

The soul of man is not spirit. When Adam was cursed, God's decree that from dust he was created and to dust he would return applied even to his soul. Adam was created of the physical clay of this world and when he perished his soul was returned to the clay of this earth. undecided

It is only those who are born-again that are born from spirit and when they die, their soul and spirit sleep in the earth awaiting resurrection when Jesus Christ returns to raise and judge His flock- John 3 vs 4-8 & John 5 vs 19 - 29 undecided
How can Adam soul return to the clay when he died in the flesh undecided
That's not possible because you can't see a soul. You can only see a body
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Jan 02, 2022
Solofresh2:
How can Adam soul return to the clay when he died in the flesh undecided
That's not possible because you can't see a soul. You can only see a body
undecided
6 So water[a] came up from the earth and spread over the ground.
7 Then the Lord God took dust from the ground and made a man. He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nose, and the man became a living thing. - Genesis 2 vs 6 - 7
Adam (mind, body and soul) was made, by God, from the physical components of this earth. undecided

And so when God cursed Adam to die, God decreed that from dust Adam was made and to dust Adam would return.
19 You will work hard for your food, until your face is covered with sweat. You will work hard until the day you die, and then you will become dust again.
I used dust to make you, and when you die, you will become dust again.
- Genesis 3 vs 19
That you can't see the soul does not change what God said of it - one of the components of man. undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by HacheNoire: 11:40pm On Jan 02, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What in the world is there to tell you about God's Approval of the law for the Nation of Israel? The entire Old Covenant was God's agreement as delivered to those who have the blood of Jacob coursing through their veins meant as Law in the Kingdom of Canaan - The Constitution. undecided

Please answer the question straight forward.

Is an “Eye for an eye valid”? Please answer this so I can jump to next point. Don’t romance my questions. Hit the mail on the head
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 11:47pm On Jan 02, 2022
HacheNoire:
Please answer the question straight forward.

Is an “Eye for an eye valid”? Please answer this so I can jump to next point. Don’t romance my questions. Hit the mail on the head
I don't understand the question.... why would a given law be considered invalid? undecided

Why would you think a law requires validation of some kind and by whom, you? undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Afribary: 3:34am On Jan 03, 2022
Lol leave that one make e dey try make e sound wise without a single sense of understanding of what he/she's saying.

I dont know since when wickedness become hidden rocket science.

Nonsense

Amotolongbo:
wickedness is defined and we all know what it is.

Any act which is against love and detrimental to one’s neighbor and can’t be done to oneself is wickedness. Neighbor here can be sibs, parents, relatives, friends or anyone
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by ChocolateWine(f): 5:14am On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So in essence your conclusion is that Jesus Christ, the one whose death you claim guarantees that you have a chance to be saved, was also a liar, this since He is the one who guaranteed that those who do not obey Him amongst you will be housed in place of eternal damnation- Matthew 25 vs 40 - 46? undecided

Death is the punishment for sin in the Old Covenant Law of Moses - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20. Paul's letters was written primarily to an audience of Jewish Christians and so he was there addressing the difference in rewards that awaited those of the Old Covenant as opposed to the New Covenant people. undecided

I don't seem to understand your answer. Can you answer the following questions and then rephrase or correct yourself or your thinking so I can understand you.

Death is the punishment of all sins or some sins in the old covenant law of Moses?

Paul's letter (that is the book of Romans) was written to Jewish christians where did you get that info?

Was Jesus message in the enter chapter of Matthew 25 a parable or some part can be taken literally?
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 5:39am On Jan 03, 2022
ChocolateWine:
I don't seem to understand your answer. Can you answer the following questions and then rephrase or correct yourself or your thinking so I can understand you.

1. Death is the punishment of all sins or some sins in the old covenant law of Moses?

2. Paul's letter (that is the book of Romans) was written to Jewish christians where did you get that info?

3. Was Jesus message in the enter chapter of Matthew 25 a parable or some part can be taken literally?
1. Read Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20 & Ezekiel 18 vs 1 - 5. Death is the reward that awaits all sinners of the Old Covenant Law of Moses. undecided

2. Paul letters where written to a primarily Jewish audience of believers, yes. undecided

3. Like many other chapters in the book of Matthew, all of chapter 25 is not in parable. Jesus Christ's taught His disciples of the events to take place upon His return in Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by ChocolateWine(f): 6:29am On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Read Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20 & Ezekiel 18 vs 1 - 5. Death is the reward that awaits all sinners of the Old Covenant Law of Moses. undecided

2. Paul letters where written to a primarily Jewish audience of believers, yes. undecided

3. Like many other chapters in the book of Matthew, all of chapter 25 is not in parable. Jesus Christ's taught His disciples of the events to take place upon His return in Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided

Lol...you respond with all seriousness as if you know what you're saying.

So what happens to Abraham, David, Daniel even Moses himself and all the faithful men of the old covenant who were also sinners?

The book of Romans was written to the congregations in Rome. Rome is a non-Jewish territory. Infact Jews were banned from Rome at a certain period during Paul's time. The bible in Acts 2:10 shows that a few Jewish Christians were in Rome, that it wasn't entirely non-Jewish Christians. Paul himself was a Roman who took the lead in persecuting Jews not only in Rome but throughout Judea and Jerusalem.

The entire book of Romans chapter 6 that mentions the, "the wages of sin is death" clearly pointed out that anyone not following Jesus was going to die. Now tell me where in that chapter that alludes that it was primarily focused on or alluding to the Jews when death of Jesus and redemption from sin was mentioned.

The same comparison was drawn in the same Romans for those who are not willing to accept the grace of Jesus death where,

Paul asks in verse 15. “Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!” Paul is dealing with the same question, this time from a different angle. God does not want us to sin. We are supposed to obey God.

Paul then develops the analogy of slavery a bit further to make his point: “Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?” (verse 16).

All of Matthew chapter 25 is not a parable? grin cheesy

The story of the 10 virgins is real?
25 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom

The Parable of the Bags of Gold?
14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,

The Seperation of the sheep and goat?
33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Solofresh2: 10:15am On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
undecided
Adam (mind, body and soul) was made, by God, from the physical components of this earth. undecided

And so when God cursed Adam to die, God decreed that from dust Adam was made and to dust Adam would return. That you can't see the soul does not change what God said of it - one of the components of man. undecided
Then why do our souls lives on when we die,if our souls returns to dust with the body undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Jan 03, 2022
Solofresh2:
Then why do our souls lives on when we die,if our souls returns to dust with the body undecided
Again, in Genesis 3 vs 19, God tells you that your soul will not live on when you die in unbelief, like Adam did. Do you not believe God's own Word and judgement against man there? undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Jan 03, 2022
Solofresh2:
Again, in Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22, God tells you that your soul will not live on when you die in unbelief, like Adam did. Do you not believe God's own Word and judgement against man there? undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Solofresh2: 5:55pm On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Again, in Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22, God tells you that your soul will not live on when you die in unbelief, like Adam did. Do you not believe God's own Word and judgement against man there? undecided
So why do people reincernate then,if there is no soul undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 5:58pm On Jan 03, 2022
Solofresh2:
So why do people reincernate then,if there is no soul undecided
What people? What reincarnation? undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by HacheNoire: 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I don't understand the question.... why would a given law be considered invalid? undecided

Why would you think a law requires validation of some kind and by whom, you? undecided

You have been boxed to the wall.

I asked you a question, is “eye for an eye” as stated in the Old Testament valid? Just say yes or no. But you cannot because you will have to quote the New Testament

I got you!

Next one. Explain Hebrew 2:7. Is Jesus Christ God?
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Solofresh2: 6:34pm On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What people? What reincarnation? undecided
When people die,they reincernate into a new body
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 7:31pm On Jan 03, 2022
Solofresh2:
When people die,they reincernate into a new body
Those ideas are unrelated to the teachings of Jesus Christ and His Kingdom.... you need to be careful not to get ideas from different religions tangled up. undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Jan 03, 2022
HacheNoire:
1. You have been boxed to the wall.

2. I asked you a question, is “eye for an eye” as stated in the Old Testament valid? Just say yes or no. But you cannot because you will have to quote the New Testament

I got you!

3. Next one. Explain Hebrew 2:7.
4. Is Jesus Christ God?
1. The only box here are those that keep you from thinking beyond the limits you have placed on self where comprehending what is presented in the bible is concerned. undecided

2. Again, the Old Covenant Law of Moses, of which the Eye-for-an-eye laws are a part of, is God's agreement with the Nation of Israel. I.e. a constitution given them by God - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20. undecided

I am a gentile meaning the Old Covenant Law never applied to me or my kind to begin with. undecided

3. What exactly do you need for me to explain about what is made clear in the passage below in Hebrews 2 vs 7 ? undecided
5 God did not choose angels to be the rulers over the new world that was coming. That future world is the world we have been talking about.
6 It is written some place in the Scriptures,
Why are people so important to you?
Why do you even think about them?
Why do you care about the son of man[a]?
Is he so important?

7 For a short time you made him lower than the angels. You crowned him with glory and honor.
8 You put everything under his control.”

If God put everything under his control, then there was nothing left that he did not rule. But we don’t yet see him ruling over everything.
9 For a short time Jesus was made lower than the angels, but now we see him wearing a crown of glory and honor because he suffered and died. Because of God’s grace, Jesus died for everyone. - Hebrews 2 vs 5 - 9

4. As for whether Jesus Christ is God or not, why do you ask? And why do you care? undecided
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Solofresh2: 8:32pm On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Those ideas are unrelated to the teachings of Jesus Christ and His Kingdom.... you need to be careful not to get ideas from different religions tangled up. undecided
Okay
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by HacheNoire: 9:35pm On Jan 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. The only box here are those that keep you from thinking beyond the limits you have placed on self where comprehending what is presented in the bible is concerned. undecided

2. Again, the Old Covenant Law of Moses, of which the Eye-for-an-eye laws are a part of, is God's agreement with the Nation of Israel. I.e. a constitution given them by God - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20. undecided

I am a gentile meaning the Old Covenant Law never applied to me or my kind to begin with. undecided

3. What exactly do you need for me to explain about what is made clear in the passage below in Hebrews 2 vs 7 ? undecided

4. As for whether Jesus Christ is God or not, why do you ask? And why do you care? undecided

Straight forward questions, look at how you romances it.

lol…
Re: What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Jan 03, 2022
HacheNoire:
Straight forward questions, look at how you romances it.
lol…
Your problem is in assuming you have here been asking straight forward questions to begin with. undecided

You are told a law is part of a constitution given to a nation, yet you continue to inquire whether the law the law valid or not. Why?? undecided

You ask me to explain Hebrews 2 vs 7 as if the intentions of the author where not made clear right there in the context and I ask you why? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Did You Receive Any Christmas Gifts From Your Neighbours This Christmas Season? / Reno Omokri: Paying Of Tithe Cannot Provide Divine Protection / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.