Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Which Books Are You Currently Reading? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? (23485 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 11:29am On Jun 29, 2011
Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Adiche. . . very touching story, i've read more than half of it in less than 24 hours.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by sirgeorge(m): 6:32pm On Jun 30, 2011
The Devil's alternative-Frederick Forsyth
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Dam4real: 12:19pm On Jul 02, 2011
There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and a tired man who wants a book to read.All want needs is to get the right books to inspire and be an additional after reading.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Dam4real: 12:36pm On Jul 02, 2011
Let books be your dining table,
And you shall be full of delights
Let them be your mattress
And you shall sleep restful nights.

Go to this site for business e-books that can changes situations
http://www.expertbrainresouces.com/offer.html
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Xfactor2(f): 2:00pm On Jul 02, 2011
I just finished Pursuit of Happiness by DOuglas Kennedy, this is a book that novelists should measure themselves against. I have never been so emotionally exhausted.

Now startin on somthing light, A Love Rekindled by our resident Myne Whitman.

1 Like

Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 02, 2011
X_factor:

I just finished[b] Pursuit of Happiness by DOuglas Kennedy[/b], this is a book that novelists should measure themselves against. I have never been so emotionally exhausted.

Same one that Will Smith's movie 's based on ?

@ Topic - You must set forth at dawn by Wole Soyinka
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 4:08pm On Jul 02, 2011
X_factor:

I just finished Pursuit of Happiness by DOuglas Kennedy, this is a book that novelists should measure themselves against. I have never been so emotionally exhausted.

that's exactly how i felt when i finished Half of a yellow Sun. i can't even get myself to read anything else cos i'm still reflecting on the story.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Connoisseur(m): 7:36am On Jul 03, 2011
naijababe:

Same one that Will Smith's movie 's based on ?

@ Topic - You must set forth at dawn by Wole Soyinka

No, i dont think it is. Will Smith's ''Pursuit of Happyness'' was based on a true life story of Chris Gardner who made a fleeting appearance at the last scene.

Lol @ ur handle 'in wenger i trust not'
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 03, 2011
Connoisseur:

No, i dont think it is. Will Smith's '[b]'Pursuit of Happyness'' was based on a true life story of Chris Gardner [/b]who made a fleeting appearance at the last scene.

Lol @ your handle 'in wenger i trust not'

Yeah, i googled it and found out it was a different author. Don't mind Mr Wenger jare, dude's a serial heartbreaker but then I wonder why I have to support Hypertension FC undecided
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by sirgeorge(m): 10:09am On Jul 04, 2011
Ted dekker-The Boneman's Daughter
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by sirgeorge(m): 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2011
Blood diamonds by jon land
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by oyinmama(f): 3:12pm On Jul 11, 2011
Jackie Collin's Hollywood Wives- The Next Generation
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by ragdollz: 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2011
Reading: New Moon - Stephanie Meyer

Up next: Breaking Dawn. I must see the end of this saga finally finally haba
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by queenesthr(f): 3:08pm On Jul 12, 2011
A Voice In The Wind - Francine Rivers.

Very touching and inspiring.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by sirgeorge(m): 11:37pm On Jul 12, 2011
Purple Hibiscus- I hope its better than the overhyped half of a yellow sun
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Xfactor2(f): 1:25am On Jul 13, 2011
I've just finished Myne Whitman's A Love Rekindled and she graciously agreed to be my guest on my blog so please head on over to read my interview with her and also enter her book giveaway tomorrow.http://fabulosityreads..com/2011/07/myne-whitman-on-luminary-wednesday.html

Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 13, 2011
sir george:

Purple Hibiscus- I hope its better than the overhyped half of a yellow sun

Much much better albeit with a rather abrupt ending, IMO. I'm not sure she thought through what she finally wanted to do with the characters.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by slap1(m): 6:03pm On Jul 13, 2011
dominique:

that's exactly how i felt when i finished Half of a yellow Sun. i can't even get myself to read anything else cos i'm still reflecting on the story.
Now you've made me promise to pick up that book for the second time.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Haroldben(m): 7:09pm On Jul 13, 2011
In God's Name by David Yallop, You need to read this to understand the under workings of the catholic faith and the Vatican City, When religion is in tandem with mafianism, And it's a true story, Peeps, before u lambast me, i didnt write the book, neither am i criticising any denomination. I just think u wd be interesting in understanding certain basic concepts of one faith.Are they in line with the scriptures? , Lol, dont answer.Read the book. Its a true story
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by sirgeorge(m): 10:06pm On Jul 13, 2011
naijababe:

Much much better albeit with a rather abrupt ending, IMO. I'm not sure she thought through what she finally wanted to do with the characters.

Although i'm kinda late to the party,i'm really enjoying purple hibiscus.Happy i picked it because after reading half of a yellow sun i began to wander what all the fuss about chimamanda was about.All doubts have been officially erased.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2011
sir george:

Although i'm kinda late to the party,i'm really enjoying purple hibiscus.Happy i picked it because after reading half of a yellow sun i began to wander what all the fuss about chimamanda was about.All doubts have been officially erased.

Let me know what you think when you finish. 'Tis a good book but the ending left me kinda deflated
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by slap1(m): 1:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
naijababe:

Let me know what you think when you finish. 'Tis a good book but the ending left me kinda deflated
Yeah, me too. Jaja finally poisoned his Dad, went to prison and was released. . .the end!? The story took a rather weak twist from that poisoning part, like she was in a hurry to get it over with. But that does little to the overall value of the book. I still recommend the book.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by slap1(m): 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2011
Scott Turow -- THE BURDEN OF PROOF.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jul 14, 2011
LUCKY. . . Jackie Collins
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by sirgeorge(m): 4:59am On Jul 15, 2011
@naijababe
three words: i loved it.It's no easy thing to turn the life of a basically ordinary family into a kinda sensational one.I can't think of a better way it could have ended. the woman is good no doubt but definitely not the next Soyinka or Achebe as people like to think. Just my thoughts,

@Topic
Blood diamonds by greg campbell(not based on the movie and a lot more graphic,it's terrifying really).Its funny how in the past week i've read 2 totally different books both named blood diamonds and then watched the movie. I'm beginning to have dreams about diamonds,brutal soldiers and chopped-off body parts.God help me,
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 10:49pm On Jul 17, 2011
^^^ sucks to be you right now, lol grin

@topic
Macnally's Bluff by Victor Lardo (for Lawrence sanders). still yet to feel the book.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by sirgeorge(m): 7:19am On Jul 18, 2011
Just got a collection of shakespeares complete works.
Kicking off with Henry VI
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 11:59am On Jul 18, 2011
slap1:

Yeah, me too. Jaja finally poisoned his Dad, went to prison and was released. . .the end!? The story took a rather weak twist from that poisoning part, like she was in a hurry to get it over with. But that does little to the overall value of the book. I still recommend the book.

i believe it was the mother that poisoned their father and jaja took the fall for her. i prefer this ending to that of Half of a yellow Sun but i enjoyed both books and i'll definitely re-read them sometime in future.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2011
Whats with peeps and Sidney Sheldon's Sand's of time,

The story was not too okay, it was too muddled up with irrelevant things and most times these things don't just add up,

Give for example when Jamie was rounded up in San Sebastin, giving the notoriety of the general i dont think a few hundred villagers could have stopped

him from arresting jamie, with all the firepower that was at his wherewithal .this is just one and there are many more, i just dont wanna duel on that alone

and he had too many characters he focused on and in the end made the story complex, predictable and unassuming, 

I just finished To kill a mocking bird by Harper Lee, and i must say its a classic,
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 20, 2011
Whats with peeps and Sidney Sheldon's Sand's of time,

I still enjoyed it though.
In my eyes, Sydney is always right. cheesy

I"m one of his greatest fans.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by mbulela: 10:29am On Jul 20, 2011
X_factor:

Lovely book. read it 3 years ago and reading your comments i am feeling all nostalgic.going to read it again next month.
in response to the topic, just finished reading The Family way by Tony Parsons for the 3rd time three days ago. my next read is a toss up between Madonna of Excelsior by Zakes Mda and 100 years of solitude by Garcia Marquez.
Madonna will be a second read while i have had 100 years on the shelf for years and never gotten around to reading it.
Re: Which Books Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:46pm On Jul 20, 2011
[size=13pt]I read this book back in 2003 and LOVED it. It was possibly one of the best books I have ever read. I never got around to reading the next two in the series, so I am re-reading it now, so that I can continue with the series. grin[/size]

queenesthr:

A Voice In The Wind - Francine Rivers.

Very touching and inspiring.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" / Nairaland Poetry Club Chatroom. / Top 5 Beaches In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.