Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,453 members, 7,812,389 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:36 PM

NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details (16339 Views)

Badaru: Northern Govs’ Position On Power Shift To South Subject To Buhari’s Nod / 2019 Oyo Guber Race: Minister Of Communication Gets Buhari’s Nod To Contest / IGP Idris Gets Buhari’s Nod To Arrest Saraki Over Murders In Kwara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by ogododo: 7:22am On Feb 04, 2022
Some security agencies have got an approval from the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari, to access the database of the National Identity Management Commission in the course of carrying out their duties.

As a result, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, said his office  through the Nigerian Communications Commission, has conveyed the approval to the relevant  security agencies.

He did not give the names of the security agencies.  He, however, said the development would enhance security as it would help security operatives to go after kidnappers and other criminals.

Pantami disclosed this while speaking to Nigerian journalists on the sidelines of LEAP 22, a technology event, currently holding Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

He said, “Some of the security institutions, based on the cybercrime law, are allowed to gain access to the database without coming to us because the database allows for lawful intercept. That lawful intercept was allowed in order to support our security agencies.

“Mr. President has given an approved for them to do it, without even our intervention. So, with that approval, the NCC has conveyed that through my office to all the relevant institutions that the President has granted an approval for that.

“So, with it, they can gain access into the database even without our permission, and they have never complained to me, even for once. The only person that wrote a letter to me is the Minister of Defence, asking that we should try to finish the NIN-SIM policy on time.”

The NIMC currently house the data of the over 73 million Nigerians who have linked their National Identity Number with their SIM.

The minister, however, said the NIMC was still struggling with infrastructure, salary and welfare challenges, among others.

He added that the government was struggling to pay salaries and implement measures to help the commission complete its job.

Pantami said, “If you look at the circumstances, NIMC is doing very well. Before my coming, what NIMC captured was just about 40 million, but now over 73 million have been done. We have achieved over 30 million within one year, while 40 million was achieved from 2007 to 2020.

“Secondly, about NIN-SIM registration, the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy and the NIMC are not security institutions. We are a sector for economic development but we came up with the policy, because the priority of the government is security and it is a constitutional obligation of any government. It is in the 1999 Constitution as amended, Section 14 Subsection 2, Article B, it is our responsibility.”

The PUNCH had reported on January 12, 2022 that no fewer than 64 people were kidnapped between January 1 and 7, 2022.

According to StatiSense, a Nigerian data consulting firm, about 5,287 kidnapping cases were recorded in Nigeria in 2021.

The minister, however, lamented that despite possessing a total of 73 million NINs, no security agency contacted the NCC to provide any information that might help in tracking down kidnappers in the last six months.

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) had during the launch of the National Policy for the Promotion of Indigenous Content in Nigerian Telecoms Sector and Revised National Identity Policy for SIM Cards registration said, “The NIN will cover one of the weaknesses in our security structure. We will be able to easily identify and know the personality of Nigerians. We will identify people easily, including the crooks.”

The Federal Government had in 2020 mandated the NIN-SIM linkage for every telecom subscriber.

Pantami said, “I was in the Federal Executive Council media team presentation last week and these same questions were also asked.

“I said to them, this is what we have been doing for security and the EVC/CEO of the NCC was next to me, just like now, and I asked him if there was any time that any security institutions contacted the NCC to provide details of anyone of which he failed; he said ‘no’.  He said it had never happened since I became a minister.

“Secondly, in the last six months, did they ever contact you to provide any information of which you failed to do so? He said ‘no’. So, in the last six months, no one contacted us.”

Pantami, however, stressed that some security agencies recently got approvals from the President, Buhari, to bypass the NCC and the ministry, and access the database directly.

He explained that such ‘lawful intercept’ was allowed in order to support the security agencies.

https://punchng.com/nin-sim-linkage-security-agencies-get-buharis-nod-to-access-subscribers-details/

1 Like

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Mynd44: 7:25am On Feb 04, 2022
Let me guess

NSA, NIA, SSS, Immigration and EFCC

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by ogododo: 7:26am On Feb 04, 2022
Mynd44:
Let me guess

NSA, NIA, SSS, Immigration and EFCC

War don start be dat.
With all links of dis man to extreme islamists, he still dey incharge of our records. Naija don pekeme tay tay.

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by slawormiir: 7:26am On Feb 04, 2022
Damnnn niggar

Imagine some security agency to access our data base just like that

Access kill una there

Although this is how it is done in developed nations

But as for as Nigeria is concerned.....we nor trust our security agencies

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Mynd44: 7:27am On Feb 04, 2022
ogododo:

War don start be dat
It isn't out of the ordinary. It is what obtains in your so-called enter climes

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by TicketGreen: 7:27am On Feb 04, 2022
Music to our ears, will you use it to track your marauding brothers in the north or is it just for the south?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by socialmediaman: 7:27am On Feb 04, 2022

2 Likes

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by TooNoisy(f): 7:28am On Feb 04, 2022
No matter what you do, Buhari and Patami will both leave next year and Power will return to the South.

If Patami tries anything stupid, the next administration should prosecute him.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Pharaohny: 7:28am On Feb 04, 2022
E no go better for this northern bigots

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by inoki247: 7:28am On Feb 04, 2022
What happens to dem always approaching the court of law to get an order nd tender it to the Telecommunication agency any time dey feel suspicious activities...

So automatically like this the Security Agency can jus wake up nd start looking into people conversation cos the President don give dem nod...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by mediainc: 7:28am On Feb 04, 2022
Good, national security is sacrosanct...

2 Likes

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by cjudy(m): 7:28am On Feb 04, 2022
grin

If I do NIN make I bend.
I told you, those that linked their number, I pity you

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by shunletsam(m): 7:28am On Feb 04, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Yeah, damn

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Arizonaz: 7:29am On Feb 04, 2022
It's for those who are into crimes that needs to be afraid. For me I believe it legit. That's why I walk freely.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by mediainc: 7:29am On Feb 04, 2022
ogododo:

War don start be dat.
With all links of dis man to extreme islamists, he still dey incharge of our records. Naija don pekeme tay tay.
Talk sense, wetin he wan use your record do?

Only criminals will be afraid, this is obtainable worldwide, as part of security framework of a nation.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Triangles1(m): 7:30am On Feb 04, 2022
Bunch of jokers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by MufasaLion: 7:30am On Feb 04, 2022
This is a welcome development. We're getting there gradually.

3 Likes

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by SarkinYarki: 7:30am On Feb 04, 2022
Shouldn't the national Assembly be involved in such decision that mass breaches the privacy of NIGERIANs ?

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by omonla10(m): 7:30am On Feb 04, 2022
1. If all Nigerians get captured on the nin database. It will greatly reduce fraud, kidnapping and other crimes.

2. The biggest selling point of Europe and America is their ability to give long term loans with shikini interest. Especially for mortgage.. They do this because their database is top notch.

3. The Western world thrive on tax and minimal revenue leakages.. Sim-nin-bvn linkages will greatly improve this.

Slowly but surely, we will get there, I pray

It's a win-win situation

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by ogododo: 7:30am On Feb 04, 2022
Mynd44:

It isn't out of the ordinary. It is what obtains in your so-called enter climes
How many boko. Na so dem dey do for safe climes? Dem get data protection policies.

1 Like

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Happinessabd: 7:30am On Feb 04, 2022
Access d book haram sponsors first and bandits

1 Like

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by affable4(m): 7:31am On Feb 04, 2022
My own is, this government will always hide behind what looks normal and beneficial to the citizens to perpetrate evil.

And again, Pantami be doing his bidding and calling Buhari. The security agencies didn't request, but they got approval. SMH

Sorry, I have trust issues with this government.

8 Likes

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Antoeni(m): 7:31am On Feb 04, 2022
Only the Guilty Will Fault this Development

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by AmazingELixir: 7:31am On Feb 04, 2022
sad

Shouldn't the issue of access to citizen's personal data be subject to legislation after a hearing as is done is reasonable countries.

Just imagine me expressing a view as if I've forgotten we have a stamped rubber legislative arm.

Targeting of opposition has just been revved up a notch with Nigerian security agencies there's always a sinister angle.

1 Like

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Freestainworld(m): 7:31am On Feb 04, 2022
And finally finally, Nigeria is gone
Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by SarkinYarki: 7:31am On Feb 04, 2022
mediainc:

Only criminals will be afraid, this is obtainable worldwide, as part of security framework of a nation.

Has Buhari ever been After any criminal? He only goes after his critics

2 Likes

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by Happinessabd: 7:31am On Feb 04, 2022
cjudy:
grin

If I do NIN make I bend.
I told you, those that linked their number, I pity you
I do mistake I for no do
Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by taretoofine(m): 7:31am On Feb 04, 2022
How did these people came to rule us

Lord have mercy on Nigeria
Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by MufasaLion: 7:32am On Feb 04, 2022
mediainc:

Exactly!

You have time to even qoute that dude. People like him still believe the developed nations use magic and voodoo in catching criminals. Their dumb mentality can't, but be noticed.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by fitinwell: 7:32am On Feb 04, 2022
Ok
Re: NIN-SIM Linkage: Security Agencies Get Buhari’s Nod To Access Subscriber Details by goodvision12(m): 7:32am On Feb 04, 2022
I just hope our statıstıcs and database wıll not be exposed to terrorıst.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? / Charles Idahosa: Blame Oshiomhole for Edo Assembly crisis / 5 New Permanent Secretaries Appointed, 11 Redeployed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.