Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,402 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It (20486 Views)

Which School To Best Apply For Computer Science In Nigeria. / Studying Computer Science At 40? / Can I Be A Good Programmer Without Studying Computer Science In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Qatosoko: 11:17am On Feb 20, 2022
Nigeria
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Tonytonex(m): 11:19am On Feb 20, 2022
AKWATGOLD1:
Nigeria is gradually moving out of CERTIFICATE country.
How do you mean please. Can you explain?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by chloride6: 11:20am On Feb 20, 2022
Do you have an alternative?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by AntiWailer: 11:27am On Feb 20, 2022
YEs it is.

na u go work on urself.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by silibaba: 11:27am On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:
i'm planning on studying computer science in unilorin but it seems the public consensus is that computer science taught in nigeria university is outdated so is it worth the money and time to still study it.
I love computer science but i'm mainly doing it for the money and i'm currently learning python so is it worth going to study it in the university to get the certificate or being self-taught is better
when you can learn it at the comfort of your home with practical. don't waste money bro.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by ecomalchemist(m): 11:28am On Feb 20, 2022
Hello there..please go and learn digital skills on Udemy and YouTube.

Nigeria doesn't have anything to offer you with those outdated courses.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by AkinOO0: 11:34am On Feb 20, 2022
Good
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 11:35am On Feb 20, 2022
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley wink wink wink
Exactly.

silibaba:
when you can learn it at the comfort of your home with practical. don't waste money bro.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Newboss(m): 11:35am On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Yes it's worth it. You will learn data structures and systems design. If you are going in I will advise you to make leetcode your friend from day one. With even a pass degree, so long as you can solve at least half of the questions on leetcode. A multi million naira a month job is waiting for you on graduation.

Stop lying to him. There are thousands of programmers all over Nigeria, and millions all over the world, fighting for very limited programming jobs.

There is no multi million Naira job waiting for a programmer without at least 3 years work experience as a programmer.

Most firms don't care how good you are. They look at your years of professional work experience working with certain tools. Most won't even give you any coding challenge if your CV doesn't meet their high expectations.

As a Nigeria based programmer, the odds against you increases exponentially. Most companies don't want to have anything to do with people who don't have the right to work in the company's country.

Remote jobs? Good luck with that as a programmer without years of work experience as a programmer

9 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Maj196(m): 11:36am On Feb 20, 2022
Either you do it abroad or online. No even near any Naija school

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by jesmond3945: 11:36am On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:

thanks for replying i do have a question after going through the beginner stage of watch tutorials reading books and praticing questions what's actually next i doubt one can get a job directly from that alone how does one improve on what he already knows because all books and videos i've seen are for beginners so after getting through that stage what next Thanks in advance
buy a book on data structures and algorithms. I recommend this

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Yomit71(m): 11:37am On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:
i'm planning on studying computer science in unilorin but it seems the public consensus is that computer science taught in nigeria university is outdated so is it worth the money and time to still study it.
I love computer science but i'm mainly doing it for the money and i'm currently learning python so is it worth going to study it in the university to get the certificate or being self-taught is better
schooling in Nigeria doesn't guarantee success my bloda
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by seunoj: 11:37am On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:

Get BSc certificate and do self taught to enhance your skills and competence and achieve international qualifications. Work has moved beyond the shores of Nigeria.
Though it looks like school certificate is no longer relevant, but it’s still valid for somethings as far as Nigeria is concerned.

4 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 11:40am On Feb 20, 2022
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Maj196:
Either you do it abroad or online. No even near any Naija school
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Idadurun: 11:40am On Feb 20, 2022
Uncharted56:
I am free tonight and you I hate keyboard warriors like you, that job ad on my app is a test ad and also it is when the job ad expires to show that you don't read well, the app itself is still in development and I am posting to get people to test the app. It's mofos like you that claim to be everything and I hate people like you. I could kill you don't test me, you don't know my story and you are busy typing nonsense from behind your phone, you think I'm like other programmers I am a hard born hustler boy, I've been on the streets.

Useless piece of shit

I will eat your meat, meet me face to face and I will show you what survival has done to me in this harsh economy, I will decend all my anger on your useless face and break that useless hand you are using to type rubbish, try me if you get mind.

You really get mind to call me small boy.
HAHAHAHA HAHA! OGBU! BABA DON VES. BABA WAN DRINK BLOOD FOR SACRIFICE. ABEG RUN O.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 11:42am On Feb 20, 2022
wink wink wink wink

I am making science my culture, so naturally computer science is now, a way of life, i am not expecting money, i am expecting to be innovative.

I did not study computer science at school, but i read books on it, and i practice by myself, and i look for problems to solve and i involve my self in tech communities, i am as good as a graduate, make sure you are solving problems and creating products that people need.

My goals is not money, its being smart, creative, innovative and able to solve problems.

grin grin grin people are beginning to realize that there are also Jobs in tech and tech is very broad and diverse.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by jesmond3945: 11:44am On Feb 20, 2022
Newboss:

Stop lying to him. There are thousands of programmers all over Nigeria, and millions all over the world, fighting for very limited programming jobs.

There is no multi million Naira job waiting for a programmer without at least 3 years work experience as a programmer.

Most firms don't care how good you are. They look at your years of professional work experience working with certain tools. Most won't even give you any coding challenge if your CV doesn't meet their high expectations.

As a Nigeria based programmer, the odds against you increases exponentially. Most companies don't want to have anything to do with people who don't have the right to work in the company's country.

Remote jobs? Good luck with that as a programmer without years of work experience as a programmer
this your post is too pessimistic. Probably you have not had success landing jobs when you started.

4 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Chatflick(m): 11:44am On Feb 20, 2022
Uncharted56:

I am currently developing an app for the same school and engineering faculty for that matter. This job is money in the bank because of the calculations and features i am adding so far and I am just getting started with the app, now who is the mofo...
This your Ui is very poor abeg. God forbid someone wasted money on this

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:45am On Feb 20, 2022
Newboss:

Continue deceiving yourself. I got my first remote job after 8 months of learning on my own. A nairalander here who is still learning got a remote job with a netherlands company. She hasnt learnt for six months.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Kvngfrosh(m): 11:49am On Feb 20, 2022
All what I know is you have more advantage over people who learned with youtube, udemy or at bootcamps.

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by na2016: 11:50am On Feb 20, 2022
It is worth it. Go and read it but also strive to study wide by teaching your self some programming language

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:51am On Feb 20, 2022
Very. Grab the certificate. Add other professional courses on graduating, the tech space and all its opportunities opens up for you to grab

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by pvicky(m): 11:55am On Feb 20, 2022
Lamedig:
NNcb
PowerTechs:
We make real money from Admob

With legit proof and steps to cash out

�*GOOGLE ADMOB YOUTH EMPOWERMENT*�

Make more then $200 every month day or even more
if you are committed to earn more money.
✅No certificate/ referral required,
✅No experience required,
✅No Age Limit
✅Doesn't obstruct Ur Office Work
⭐REQUIREMENTS⭐
✅Gmail account
✅Verifiable physical address
✅Earning app
✅Smartphone
✅Any of International Passport, Drivers license, National ID Card.
✅Data SIM.
✅Account number
✅Phone number.

Kindly check sig for contact details and more informations

I am really interesting in this Google admob. But the problem is issue of trust in Nigeria. I have been scammed before. And this have made me not to trust a lot of people. Are you honest with your words....
Also I can't find your contact details.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by ImoleNaija: 11:56am On Feb 20, 2022
Yes, it is. During or after your degree program, just ensure you have one or more IT skills. I doubt you would ever regret going for the course.

Graduate with a poor result if you like, some Tech/Telecom companies would still rush you. But for your personal mental health and confidence, I would advise you put in your best and leave school with a good result.

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Judolisco(m): 11:56am On Feb 20, 2022
Study computer science then develop yourself and learn new skills
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by kingsangoda: 11:57am On Feb 20, 2022
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Hassanmaye(m): 11:58am On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:
God please bless you for creating this thread, I will read and learn, because I'm thinking of going to university to study information technology or go to Tech institute, I want to choose which is best
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by gsegun43: 11:58am On Feb 20, 2022
Capital NO

grin
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Hassanmaye(m): 11:58am On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:
If you are doing it for the money, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Yes there is presently a lot of money in Tech, but the most successful folks are motivated by things other than money.

I got into tech long ago. Many years before it started hitting the spot light locally. My motivation then (and now) is to solve problems whether I make a buck or not. I ha e done several personal projects purely for the fun of it and wanting to know how certain things work.
Wow
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:

Bro, study any course in Nigeria. It can worth studying computer science in Nigeria if you are in a group of friends who are computer lovers. Coding is what is actually in it. Also, if you do not study it in the university, you can get in at any time.

The truth is that you need to get out of Nigeria. You can apply for jobs and move out. Also, there are some countries presently opening doors for IT professionals. No one knows when the doors will eventually close. The only door I can assure you which will not close is a student visa. Consulars may not give you a visa easily if you study another course and cannot defend the reason you want to go for computer. It's just weird.

Well, I do not think what they teach in Nigeria is worth it. Those on the front page are not in the university system. They are just advising you based on the market. You need to talk to fresh graduates. They only can tell you. But as far as I know, most professors in public universities are old skools. They don't know what's going on presently. I do not know about private unis. Please, check very well and do not rely on what those people are saying on the front page cos I can see you are already accepting the jargons.

For me, getting a very good grade is your 1st priority. Whether it maths, English, or even ibo/Hausa/yoruba language. I do not care. Even Guidance and Counselling....I do not care. You can move into coding anytime. If I were you, I would look into engineering. What it does is great. It sharpens your brain. The money in computers is not just coding these days. More maths, statistics, and reasoning ability. This is what engineering does to you. I know how hard getting admission can be. So, I really don't care what you do if you cannot get into an engineering program. Get a degree and aim for a 1st class period. When you are out or during your holidays, practise coding. When you finally have your first class or a strong upper, then, devote your whole time to do it. But now, focus on your first degree and smash a first-class.

God bless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App / Viewing And Creating Reports In Java - Share Ur Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.