Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It (20652 Views)

Which School To Best Apply For Computer Science In Nigeria. / Studying Computer Science At 40? / Can I Be A Good Programmer Without Studying Computer Science In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 12:00pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Yes it's worth it. You will learn data structures and systems design. If you are going in I will advise you to make leetcode your friend from day one. With even a pass degree, so long as you can solve at least half of the questions on leetcode. A multi million naira a month job is waiting for you on graduation.

Are u saying that all the nigerian computer science graduates who solved at least half of the questions on leetcode now have multi million naira a month jobs?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:02pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

Are u saying that all the nigerian computer science graduates who solved at least half of the questions on leetcode now have multi million naira a month jobs?
99.9 percent have never heard of leetcode the remaining half of the 0.1 percent that have heard cant even solve the easy questions there. Leetcode is fucking hard. The earlier the better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tellwisdom: 12:02pm On Feb 20, 2022
Does the person teaching you know Anything about computer?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 12:02pm On Feb 20, 2022
jesmond3945:
this your post is too pessimistic. Probably you have not had success landing jobs when you started.

Does his pessimism negate anything he said?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 12:03pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

99.9 percent have never heard of leetcode the remaining half of the 0.1 percent that have heard cant even solve the easy questions there. Leetcode is fucking hard. The earlier the better.

You haven't answered my question:

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2022
cheesy cheesy, I remember when i did some courses In a Nigerian University XX with a computer science department, they were so scared we might spoil the computer, even when we were typing, we were also scared lol.

And we used mostly Fortran, anyway it was a basic intro, into algorithms and their flow chart, and procedural programming.

Although the environment was so rushed and fearful, i developed interest, one does not really gain anything in such a tense atmosphere, online tutorials, having my personal computer, and the ease of access coupled with self Study definitely made me a professional.

There are so many online resources, free and paid, i recommend one should be very observational, and bookmark the resources online.

There are bootcamps, even schools, and places, where one can gain experience, i consider Nigerian universities as sad places and trash.

gsegun43:
Capital NO

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:08pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

You haven't answered my question:

Yes, they do. there are less than 1000 active leetcode users from Nigeria. The few who put in the time are working at FAANG or very high-paying Nigerian firms. Competitive programming is non existent in Nigeria and is the barrier to the very high paying jobs.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by cocoduck: 12:09pm On Feb 20, 2022
If it is computer science, simply go to Udemy
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by NNtv(m): 12:09pm On Feb 20, 2022
Yes
It's 100% worth it

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Dam5reey(m): 12:10pm On Feb 20, 2022
In all your doing get the Degree, Nigeria Certificate is Recognized too..

See I have the Skills, couple with years of experience, I was selected for an opportunity outside the country, because ofy skills and experience, I couldn't travel out due to lack of Degree Certificates..

Please get the Degree first and gain experience..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by iLoveYouToo(m): 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2022
It’s better to study computer science online than in a public university. You can take my word to the bank
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Upforgreatness(f): 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:
i'm planning on studying computer science in unilorin but it seems the public consensus is that computer science taught in nigeria university is outdated so is it worth the money and time to still study it.
I love computer science but i'm mainly doing it for the money and i'm currently learning python so is it worth going to study it in the university to get the certificate or being self-taught is better
Yo bro I beg you in d name of God change d institution first don't go to unilorin for anything it's a waste of time you can choose any other public university but not unilorin, unilorin is just better by stress...
I would advice you to go to school where only computer is being taught it would save u some stress and unnecessary work/courses..unilorin will only choke u with theories and less practical... Peace

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

How did u arrive at your 99.9% and 0.1%?

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 12:14pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yes, they do. there are less than 1000 active leetcode users from Nigeria. The few who put in the time are working at FAANG or very high-paying Nigerian firms. Competitive programming is non existent in Nigeria and is the barrier to the very high paying jobs.

Are you the one that gave them the jobs? How do u no that there are less than 1000leetcodr users in Nigeria? Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to? What is FAANG?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:15pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

How did u arrive at your 99.9% and 0.1%?

You can verify it yourself. Check the number of leetcode users online from Nigeria then multiply that number by the number of undergraduates at level 100 to 400 across all Nigerian universities that offer computer science. It's simple stat that can give you a basic overview.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 12:15pm On Feb 20, 2022
I have looked at leetcode, many people know about it.
tensazangetsu20:

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Alusiizizi(m): 12:16pm On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:
i'm planning on studying computer science in unilorin but it seems the public consensus is that computer science taught in nigeria university is outdated so is it worth the money and time to still study it.
I love computer science but i'm mainly doing it for the money and i'm currently learning python so is it worth going to study it in the university to get the certificate or being self-taught is better

What exactly do you mean by "outdated".

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 12:17pm On Feb 20, 2022
What about University of the people, its an online American university and its says its tuition free.

It has computer science, if you are at home still struggling to gain admission, you can just apply and start there, if Nigerian University are not ready to accept you or proving too good. LOL

https://www.uopeople.edu/

Also Saylor academy has free e-material, then i think it has test online that assesses your knowledge and then you can be like a graduate who has being taught the necessary curriculum as a self taught or online student.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Angeltjazz2017(m): 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2022
Most of the students graduated from this course are using their knowledge to bombing on social media now.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by frankmoney(m): 12:22pm On Feb 20, 2022
Waste of time ... You really don't need a cert in the IT world
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by stanliwise(m): 12:22pm On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:
This is a contradiction
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by stanliwise(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Your view and your perspective
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2022
Aha
frankmoney:
Waste of time ... You really don't need a cert in the IT world
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by frankmoney(m): 12:25pm On Feb 20, 2022
SeriouslySense:
Aha
lol yeah employers mostly look at your problem solving skills ... And funny enough you can learn all this by yourself , that can't be said about other courses tho
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Maj196(m): 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2022
Uncharted56:

I am currently developing an app for the same school and engineering faculty for that matter. This job is money in the bank because of the calculations and features i am adding so far and I am just getting started with the app, now who is the mofo...
Your UI is not appealing at all regardless of it's functionality. Please work on that. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Englishisamust: 12:33pm On Feb 20, 2022
One thing I shall know is that to get a job in a standard it firm in Nigeria you must have your cert unless you connection strong wella.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by powerblaze(m): 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2022
By Nigerian standards, anything you learn in school is already outdated by the time you graduate.

You have to learn specific tech courses depending on the branch of IT you choose to go, be very good at it.

You can easily stand on your own or land a good job.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Kilotat: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2022
Go on with the plan and subscribe to my YouTube channel because I do tutorials on PC and smartphone technology, Check My Updated Signature to see everything and my YouTube channel address
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2022
yeah i am familiar with this experiences, because i tried applying for tech Jobs too.

They usually assess the problem solving skills, or general concepts.

frankmoney:
lol yeah employers mostly look at your problem solving skills ... And funny enough you can learn all this by yourself , that can't be said about other courses tho
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by JaskanFactor: 12:40pm On Feb 20, 2022
Fact of the matter is, ever since the internet, universities dont matter anymore.
Choosing something you enjoy is easier to make a success of.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by TJaguar(m): 12:40pm On Feb 20, 2022
No it's not!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Viewing And Creating Reports In Java - Share Ur Experiences / So You Want To Be A Programmer...? / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.