Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,297 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It - Programming (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It (20588 Views)

Which School To Best Apply For Computer Science In Nigeria. / Studying Computer Science At 40? / Can I Be A Good Programmer Without Studying Computer Science In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:50pm On Feb 21, 2022
Golan007:

That guy would continue asking foolish questions like a broken record.

I looked at his post history and discovered he's a "questionnaire"... 33,00 posts and most of them are unending questions like he asked here. I just knew I've been mumu-ing myself responding to him

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:51pm On Feb 21, 2022
Laryfrosh:

I searched using NIGERIA and found not more than 20 persons... We just have about 20 persons that solve leetcode in Nigeria

E shock you grin grin

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Golan007: 6:57pm On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

E shock you grin grin

Yet they all want to work with Google.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by elermin: 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2022
pls guys what about bsc.IT is it lucrative here in Nigeria
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Laryfrosh: 7:08pm On Feb 21, 2022
Golan007:

Yet they all want to work with Google.

Hmmm... Na wa o

Please at what stage can one start solving leetcode
Like which language must one be proficient in before one can start solving leetcode?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Golan007: 7:09pm On Feb 21, 2022
Laryfrosh:

Hmmm... Na wa o

Like which language must one be proficient in before one can start solving leetcode?

The major companies do not really care what language you prefer, as long as you are grounded in the fundamentals - Algorithms and data structure, logic and the likes.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by shantti(m): 10:06pm On Feb 21, 2022
Maj196:
Either you do it abroad or online. No even near any Naija school

Is it advisable doing it abroad and why please?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 4:16am On Feb 22, 2022
$60k/annum on the table for WordPress AND PHP pros.

https://www.wpallimport.com/hiring/#apply

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by islamics(m): 7:45am On Feb 22, 2022
Laryfrosh:

I searched using NIGERIA and found not more than 20 persons... We just have about 20 persons that solve leetcode in Nigeria
To me, it is more than that. I think the dev use a benchmark of those whose point are more than 1000 or a benchmark for general ranking. Thinking of even going thru his code to justify my thinking.
Just thinking aloud.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:42am On Feb 22, 2022
islamics:

To me, it is more than that. I think the dev use a benchmark of those whose point are more than 1000 or a benchmark for general ranking. Thinking of even going thru his code to justify my thinking.
Just thinking aloud.

For each Nigerian there search them on LinkedIn and see where they work and also view their salaries

I count it's more than 20 islamics. I use algo expert exclusively for now. Took a break from leetcode will go back and people from Nigeria using algo expert aren't even up to 30.

Cc larryfrosh.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 3:37pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

For each Nigerian there search them on LinkedIn and see where they work and also view their salaries

I count it's more than 20 islamics. I use algo expert exclusively for now. Took a break from leetcode will go back and people from Nigeria using algo expert aren't even up to 30.

Cc larryfrosh.

The very reason I'm not on LinkedIn! Or Facebook

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 3:48pm On Feb 22, 2022
Laryfrosh:

Hmmm... Na wa o

You can start from day 1 when you start learning programming. Leetcode kind of walks you through. Kind of.

Regarding language, it has been repeatedly pointed out here that the Programming Language (PL) you use is of little significance. Okay so maybe using aged languages like FORTRAN or Basic or Pascal will not get you far. But literally any modern PL is sufficient

PS: Is Functional Programming still a thing? I remember doing Intro to AI with a textbook, Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Day Approach. We had to learn LISP and Haskell which I totally hated
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by omohayek: 4:43pm On Feb 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You can start from day 1 when you start learning programming. Leetcode kind of walks you through. Kind of.

Regarding language, it has been repeatedly pointed out here that the Programming Language (PL) you use is of little significance. Okay so maybe using aged languages like FORTRAN or Basic or Pascal will not get you far. But literally any modern PL is sufficient

PS: Is Functional Programming still a thing? I remember doing Intro to AI with a textbook, Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Day Approach. We had to learn LISP and Haskell which I totally hated
Purely functional programming languages haven't really taken off, but functional programming techniques are more popular than ever, thanks to the ever-growing difficulties with managing mutable state in multiprocessor and distributed systems.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:58pm On Feb 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

True but all of them are working at faang companies or very highly funded startups that have raised millions of dollars. It's easy to guess what people earn. Honestly with regards to programming if you aren't serious on data structures and algorithms and grinding leetcode, hackerrank and topcoder you will be limiting yourself to the kind of jobs you can get honestly.

I tried it and I tell people. Got two solid certifications and everything. Looking for a job with visa sponsorship and I was getting leetcode kind of tests everywhere. No one cared about my job specific skills. They no send.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by islamics(m): 6:27pm On Feb 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

But an anonymous closed account can be open ai. I don't do Facebook but I remembered opening a dummy Facebook/email account just to use their API.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by islamics(m): 6:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly with regards to programming if you aren't serious on data structures and algorithms and grinding leetcode, hackerrank and topcoder you will be limiting yourself to the kind of jobs you can get honestly.
The senior dev in where I work before always use hackkerank for breakfast and he has relocated too grin grin
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:30pm On Feb 22, 2022
islamics:

The senior dev in where I work before always use hackkerank for breakfast and he has relocated too grin grin

Na the only way. I use it for breakfast and dinner. Their father.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by islamics(m): 6:31pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I count it's more than 20
islamics. I use algo expert exclusively for now. Took a break from leetcode will go back and people from Nigeria using algo expert aren't even up to 30.

Cc larryfrosh.

I was curious cos my own name no show and I dey leetcode grin grin

We never do leetcode wey be free, you dey talk of algo expert that require subscription I think.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by islamics(m): 6:34pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na the only way. I use it for breakfast and dinner. Their father.
Omo. cool cool
E go be be that!
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:34pm On Feb 22, 2022
islamics:

But an anonymous closed account can be open ai. I don't do Facebook but I remembered opening a dummy Facebook/email account just to use their API.

Do you use that "dummy" account regularly? If yes, be reassured that Facebook knows your real identity

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:38pm On Feb 22, 2022
islamics:

I was curious cos my own name no show and I dey leetcode grin grin

We never do leetcode wey be free, you dey talk of algo expert that require subscription I think.

Leetcode wey free Na rubbish O. The premium one is 175 USD and that one be Koko cause you will see past questions of Google Facebook Tesla and almost every major company. It's like cheat code.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Why algoexpert though?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:05pm On Feb 22, 2022
DrLevi:

Why algoexpert though?
The explanations is much more in-depth for beginners but I will get leetcode premium since they added video explanations. It was just text before.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 8:27pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

The explanations is much more in-depth for beginners but I will get leetcode premium since they added video explanations. It was just text before.
What language do you use to solve problems on Algo expert?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 8:31pm On Feb 22, 2022
I just checked the leet code ranking web application, about 50% of the guys from Nigeria work for reputable software companies. Instead of buying Udemy courses and learning frame works, pay for a year subscription on leetcode and Algo expert and devote at least 12 months to solving questions.

Thanks guys.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:32pm On Feb 22, 2022
plat0:
What language do you use to solve problems on Algo expert?

Java.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 8:34pm On Feb 22, 2022
Everyone is learning coding and they aspire to work for big tech companies, earning at least $100k per annum but they are oblivious to platforms like leetcode, hacker rank and Algo expert. Information is truly power and nothing good comes easy.

I couldn't find any girl on the list , Why?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 8:37pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Java.
Cool, got recommended for an opening for a software engineering position in a start up but I couldn't scale through because I wasn't adept at data structures and algorithms.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:38pm On Feb 22, 2022
plat0:
Everyone is learning coding and they aspire to work for big tech companies, earning at least $100k per annum but they are oblivious to platforms like leetcode, hacker rank and Algo expert. Information is truly power and nothing good comes easy.

I couldn't find any girl on the list , Why?

There's very few ladies into competitive programming. Even when interviewing women get the easy questions so more women can get into the same company. Topcoder has less than 20 women. No disrespect to the female folk though before my head is removed. I have met very brilliant women who breeze through even the toughest DSA questions but it's not common.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:39pm On Feb 22, 2022
plat0:
Cool, got recommended for an opening for a software engineering position in a $40m funded start up in San Francisco but I couldn't scale through because I wasn't adept at data structures and algorithms. The lady that recommend me(a Nigerian) works as a QA tester in the company.

DSA dealt with me last year. I had a ton of interviews for relocation jobs to Germany Portugal Netherlands. I failed every single one of them cause of DSA. I don't even bother learning any rubbish frameworks now. All my time is on DSA.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by islamics(m): 8:44pm On Feb 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Do you use that "dummy" account regularly? If yes, be reassured that Facebook knows your real identity
Nooooo. grin grin grin
It has served it purpose and I don move.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 8:44pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Are the explanations solutions to the questions you're expected to solve?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Viewing And Creating Reports In Java - Share Ur Experiences / So You Want To Be A Programmer...? / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App